TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Tuesday Night Wars - MTV to air WSX against ECW

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=21781&p=1

NEW WRESTLING SHOW DEBUTS ON CABLE JANUARY 30TH

by Buck Woodward @ 6:44:00 PM on 12/6/2006

MTV will begin airing episodes of "Wrestling Society X" starting on Tuesday, January 30th at 10:30pm both eastern and pacific times. There have been several incorrect start dates floating around the internet, but PWInsider.com has confirmed that January 30th is the correct date (although, this is MTV, who have been known to make sudden changes to their schedule). Obviously, this means the show will be going head-to-head with ECW on Sci Fi, which airs at 10pm.

MTV has agreed to air ten episodes of the project, which will combine wrestling with live music performances by bands including Deftones, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory and others.

The wrestling end of the project is being handled by Big Vision producer (and former XPW official) Kevin Klinerock as the head writer with Vampiro and Cody Michaels also involved in the creative end as agents.

Talent being used for the project includes Ruckus, Vampiro, Sean Waltman, Jack Evans, Matt Sydal, Lizzy Valentine, Teddy Hart, The Human Tornado, Dragon's Gate stars Masato Yoshino and Genki Horiguchi, Colt Cabana, Jimmy Jacobs, Ricky Banderas, Aaron Aguilera, B-Boy and others. Tapings took place last month in California for the project.

As if the future of ECW didn't look bleak enough already.

Guest samoapunk
Especially since Vampiro's current condition makes Big Show look like Benoit.

Is Vampiro that bad? I haven't seen him in quite some time.

Something tells me a promotion where X-Pac and Vampiro are the biggest stars is the last thing WWECW has to worry about.

...as opposed to a federation where Bobby Lashley and Test are now the biggest stars?

Other than this airing against ECW, what does this have to do with the WWE?

Moved.

And a 30 minute wrestling show?

A point in ECW's favor is that MTV tends to re-run everything about 345 times that same week, so you could skip WSX and still have quite a few chances to see that week's episode.

I'm definitely going to be taping WSX, though. I'm absolutely convinced it will be just godawful, but that's the very reason why I don't want to miss it.

Someone want to explain more of this concept to me? No commentary just music during the matches? One match per song? The average song is only 4 minutes long, or will it be like a highlight reel with a bunch of edited spots from matches during songs?

Either way, sounds stupid. Only MTV could fuck something up worst then the McMahons.

Nothing says wrestling fans and music like New Found Glory and Good Charlotte. That alone is enough to make me pass. The other part of the equation was the letters MTV.

Will it follow the usual reality tv format of "Real World" or "True Life" or "My sweet indy promotion". I can't wait to see a cameo from Chyna looking for some lovin from X-Pac or ICP showing up to cause some drama at the announcer booth.

Edited by razazteca

Something tells me a promotion where X-Pac and Vampiro are the biggest stars is the last thing WWECW has to worry about.

...as opposed to a federation where Bobby Lashley and Test are now the biggest stars?

Either way, I won't be watching wrestling on tuesdays...

I was under the impression that this thing was going to have backstage segments and stuff...like a "Real World" meets wrestling. Is that not the case?

Actually, Vamp and Pac had a fantastic match by all accounts.

I'll believe that when I hear it from more than one account.

Reviews by LJ Pompkin

8. WSX Title Match - Vampiro vs. 6-Pac (Episode 2)

One thing that really stood out to me was that the 2 title matches were a very different style than all of the other matches of the week. They were much more "Japanese strong style" with lots of stiff moves and not much high flying, but still physical brutality. They also worked a pretty cool bump which ignited pyrotechnics for the finish. You can't really get a 5 star match out of 10 minutes, but the match was damn entertaining and felt

special.

2. WSX Title Match: Vampiro vs. Ricky Banderas (Episode 8)

Sheer brutality. I mentioned earlier about the different style of 6-Pac vs. Vampiro. This match was that and then some. It will definitely have to be edited for TV because I think it went nearly 30 minutes (I hope they release it on DVD though because it was just intense), but it just looked like they were going through hell. At one point Banderas suplexed Vampiro off of the ring onto the concrete floor. Not too long later he put him through a table covered in light tubes which sliced open Vampiro's back. Banderas then powerbombed Vampiro THROUGH the stage the bands played on, and later chokeslammed him into a coffin, which then exploded, to pin him and become the WSX champion. About as intense of a match as I have ever seen live.

Its funny that he's telling that to the XPW mark. :) I know I enjoy a good garbage brawl, been awhile seen I've seen one.