TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Examples of Milking a Franchise After It's Lifespan Ended

Missing in Action. I loved the first two parts, but I have no god damn idea what was going on in 3.

And soon to be added to this list...Shrek.

And even though I hated it, Scream went on one movie too many. After Randy died, there was no POINT to a third one other than the desperate search for more money.

I Know What You Did Last Summer..

didn't exactly need the first sequel and the most recent one..wasn't exactly begging to be made either..

How many times is a group of white kids going to accidental kill their friend, pretend like they didn't do it and just go on with their lives like they never existed? I mean seriously, you guys must have had a really horrible friendship if they can kill you and not feel an ounce of guilt about it ever.

Also, the zombie remains of the dead fisherman from part one who had nothing to do with these kids is the killer? The HELL?!?! It actually made the sequel seem like a great film!

I'm becoming increasingly tired with inspirational sports movies coming out. Remember the Titans, Radio, Glory Road, Coach Carter, The Rookie, For Love of the Game, Friday Night Lights, We Are Marshall....

Friday Night Lights is not an inspirational sports movie

I'm becoming increasingly tired with inspirational sports movies coming out. Remember the Titans, Radio, Glory Road, Coach Carter, The Rookie, For Love of the Game, Friday Night Lights, We Are Marshall....

Friday Night Lights is not an inspirational sports movie

I dunno, the scene of Tim McGraw in his boxers watching his son about to have sex inspired me to leave the room for a few minutes and read the bible. That's kinda inspirational.

And how could you make that list and leave off Invincible?

Or Gridiron Gang? Or Miracle? Or The Greatest Game Ever Played?

I'm a sucker for those kind of movies, I love them.

Or Facing the Giants. You know there were only 7 football game movies this for the year 2006.

Guest NYankees

What about Little Giants? That inspired a team with scrubs that 1 time out of 100 they can win.

Heck, even when I was only about 13 or so I thought Home Alone 2 sucked...it just blatantly recycled the plot from the first movie.

Speaking of Ghostbusters, how come they never did a third movie just for the sake of a trilogy?

Be thankful they didn't; in the mid-1990s, there was a third Ghostbusters film script floating around that basically called for the originals to show up and pass the torch to a new generation of Ghostbusters, led by Chris Farly and David Spade. But Farly died and some of the elements from the revamp was used for the basis for the "Extreme Ghostbusters" cartoon.

Also "American Pie Band Camp" was pretty good; they got a decent actor to play Stifler 2.0 and did a great job humanizing the character in terms of character arc. The only shitty American Pie film is the second one....

You just reminded me that Jason X is the only film in that series I actually like. Made me laugh at least.

I agree with your view on Band Camp although I actually found the third film the most tedious and least endearing.

My friend informed me just last night that a Tremors 4 existed. I liked the first one as most people did but I think i'll give that one a miss.

How about sequels which have a massive gap? Psycho 2 was actually better than it had any right to be but 20 years??!!!

The Hitcher 2 with Jake Busey!

The Hitcher 2 with Jake Busey!

Road House 2 with Jake Busey as the villain who killed James Dalton and now James Dalton's kid (played by Jonathan Scaech IIRC) is out for revenge!

Wait... Problem Child 3 ?!
Problem Child 3

How about sequels which have a massive gap?

I think Son of the Mask would fit here. I feel bad for whoever thought making a Mask sequel eleven years after the original was a good idea. At least they didn't drag out any of the main characters from the first one, I suppose.

Oh yeah, here's another one: Major League. I thought 2 was okay, but I saw no point in bothering with making "Back to the Minors."

The Terminator. Without James Cameron & Sarah Connor its nothing.

And they couldn't even be bothered to get Furlong back, either.

Problem Child 3

How about sequels which have a massive gap?
I think Son of the Mask would fit here. I feel bad for whoever thought making a Mask sequel eleven years after the original was a good idea. At least they didn't drag out any of the main characters from the first one, I suppose.

Oh yeah, here's another one: Major League. I thought 2 was okay, but I saw no point in bothering with making "Back to the Minors."

We have a winner.

The sad thing is how many people who think the second one is infinitely better than the first because so many guys my age were too young to see the original, but were 11 or 12 when ML2 came out.

Air Bud - basketball

Air Bud: Golden Receiver - football

Air Bud: World Pup - soccer

Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch - baseball

Air Bud: Spikes Back - Volleyball

And theres Air Buddies coming soon..who the hell knows what thats about..

Im also demanding they dont put Ace Ventura prequel/sequel out either..it wont be the same without Jim Carrey

And comming to DVD this Tuesday- Air Buddies (featuring puppies.)!

Air Bud - basketball

Air Bud: Golden Receiver - football

Air Bud: World Pup - soccer

Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch - baseball

Air Bud: Spikes Back - Volleyball

And theres Air Buddies coming soon..who the hell knows what thats about..

Im also demanding they dont put Ace Ventura prequel/sequel out either..it wont be the same without Jim Carrey

And comming to DVD this Tuesday- Air Buddies (featuring puppies.)!

I love puppies. But that movie looks nauseating.

Problem Child 3

The sad thing is how many people who think the second one is infinitely better than the first because so many guys my age were too young to see the original, but were 11 or 12 when ML2 came out.

I pretty much a agree. What ML2 had going for it was it only cared about going for laughs. The drama in ML is cliche but it worked pretty well.

Here's one I just thought of:

The Mighty Ducks.

How many sequels did THAT get?

Two of em

D2 and D3. I never saw D3 but it looked really bad. I mean, how long can a group of players stay together?

Now I'm hearing talk of a D4 for a direct to DVD release. It'll never stop when it comes to Disney.

After some searching, yes they are making it...and it's the exact same damn plot as the first one!