TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Here's a poll from ESPN's website. I heard that the FJM guys encourages all their readers to vote and totally skewed the results of the poll. Kind of funny actually.

1) How would you characterize your knowledge of sabermetrics?

34.3% Expert

25.9% Well-versed

22.3% Familiar

9.0% Unfamiliar

8.5% Vaguely aware

2) What do you trust more when evaluating a player?

63.6% Sabermetric statistics (OBP, VORP, WHIP)

36.4% Old-school statistics (AVG, RBIs, wins)

3) Which stat do you use the most when evaluating hitters?

39.1% On-base plus slugging (OPS)

22.2% On-base percentage (OBP)

20.9% Batting average (AVG)

12.7% Slugging percentage (SLG)

5.1% Runs batted in (RBI)

4) Which stat do you use the most when evaluating pitchers?

39.8% Earned-run average (ERA)

23.0% Walks and hits per innings pitched (WHIP)

19.0% Strikeouts per walk (K/BB)

13.1% Groundball-flyball ratio (GB/FB)

5.0% Wins (W)

5) Which stat do you use the most when evaluating fielders?

50.6% Fielding runs above average (FRAA)

36.5% Errors (E)

9.9% Range Factor (RF)

2.9% Assists (A)

6) What do you think about the focus on statistics in baseball?

83.9% It enhances my enjoyment of the game

14.6% It doesn't affect the way I watch the game

1.5% It detracts from my enjoyment of the game

Total Votes: 9,634

Guest Smues

Before FJM skewed it

43.6% Batting average (AVG)

25.7% On-base plus slugging (OPS)

18.2% On-base percentage (OBP)

10.2% Runs batted in (RBI)

2.4% Slugging percentage (SLG)

Few things I'd like to just get off my chest.

1.) Thank god that Todd Helton deal never went through. I would have been pretty pissed to see them give up Mike Lowell and two extremely good prospects for an almost over the hill Helton who has alot of money left on the books. Tavarez could have been part of that deal 24-7, but the rest I didn't want to see.

2.) Give Schilling his extension. $13mill isn't a ton of money to give a pitcher of his caliber if you look at the Gil Meche and other deals of this off-season.

3.) I saw Clemens say on the Golf Network during a charity event he was a part of that if he were to play anywhere he'd be playing in Houston this season. He said he made them an 8 year commitment basically where even if he doesn't pitch he will still be working with their young pitchers. Did nobody else see this?

4.) How do Phils fans feel about the Freddy Garcia deal? I thought it was a solid deal for both sides to be honest.

Before FJM skewed it

43.6% Batting average (AVG)

25.7% On-base plus slugging (OPS)

18.2% On-base percentage (OBP)

10.2% Runs batted in (RBI)

2.4% Slugging percentage (SLG)

Man, people are really oblivious sometimes.

3.) I saw Clemens say on the Golf Network during a charity event he was a part of that if he were to play anywhere he'd be playing in Houston this season. He said he made them an 8 year commitment basically where even if he doesn't pitch he will still be working with their young pitchers. Did nobody else see this?

When was that? Was it recently? Clemens does lots of golf tournaments, so I'm not sure of when this one was, but I hadn't heard any comments where he said that he'd only play in Houston if at all. If he did say that, YEAH BOY-EEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Some interesting names that are still Free Agents according to ESPN.com's FA tracker

SP - Bruce Chen, Steve Trachsel, Chan Ho Park, Mark Redman

INF - Ronnie Belliard, David Bell

OF - Shannon Stewart, Steve Finley, Bernie Williams

Few things I'd like to just get off my chest.

1.) Thank god that Todd Helton deal never went through. I would have been pretty pissed to see them give up Mike Lowell and two extremely good prospects for an almost over the hill Helton who has alot of money left on the books. Tavarez could have been part of that deal 24-7, but the rest I didn't want to see.

I don't think we've heard the last of the Helton deal. He's now gone on record saying that if this deal doesn't get done he will veto all future trades for the next five years. Colorado has to move him if they want to compete any time soon. There's too much money tied up in his contract (~33% of team payroll). If the Sox can get him for the original offer of Lowell+Tavarez+B Prospect (Pauley, Gabbard, Martinez) for Helton+$50 million, you make that deal every day of the week. Tavarez is nice starter insurance, but Lowell is terrible and they need to move him so that they can get Youks back at his natural position.

Helton at $9 mil per for five years is somewhat risky, but reasonable given the lack of 1B in the system or coming to the FA market in the next couple of years.

2.) Give Schilling his extension. $13mill isn't a ton of money to give a pitcher of his caliber if you look at the Gil Meche and other deals of this off-season.

Schilling will get his extension. I think the holdup (and Curt even hinted at this last week) is that the Red Sox have that money already earmarked for something else in 2008 and so they'll have to rearrange the budget to make the deal work. That might take a couple of weeks, but since they have a ST deadline, there's plenty of time to do something.

When was that? Was it recently? Clemens does lots of golf tournaments, so I'm not sure of when this one was, but I hadn't heard any comments where he said that he'd only play in Houston if at all. If he did say that, YEAH BOY-EEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Dear god no. If that happens the baseball thread will be unreadable all summer.

If he said that, we might as well book it since Clemens' word is gold.

:lol:

Lowell is terrible and they need to move him so that they can get Youks back at his natural position.

I like Mike Lowell. He was robbed of the gold glove last season (along with Alex Gonzales) and he wasn't too shabby offensively. He also very rarely missed time during a season when the rest of the team was on the DL.

Lowell is terrible and they need to move him so that they can get Youks back at his natural position.

I like Mike Lowell. He was robbed of the gold glove last season (along with Alex Gonzales) and he wasn't too shabby offensively. He also very rarely missed time during a season when the rest of the team was on the DL.

Wasn't too shabby offensively? He had an OPS of .739 during the second half. He slugged under .400 for most of the summer. In fact, if you removed his April and May numbers, he was just about the worst hitter on the team. His April and May were phenomenal but he was just a blackhole in that lineup for ther rest of the year. Consiering how bad he was in 2005, I think that's the real Mike Lowell and not the doubles machine we got early in the year.

He is good defensively, if just a little overrated because he doesn't make errors. As far as not missing time last year, that might be more of a negative than a positive. Traditionally in his career he's been a player that has broken down over the course of the year. Like Mark Loretta last year, he would have been better served taking some time off here and there to preserve himself for the stretch run. But I guess that's more of a managerial call than anything else.

Seeing as though Lowell is set to make $9 million this year, and they have a better, cheaper option on the squad already, I'd love to move to Lowell for whatever they can get. There are still too many existing holes to commit that type of money to an average 3B.

Seeing as though Lowell is set to make $9 million this year, and they have a better, cheaper option on the squad already, I'd love to move to Lowell for whatever they can get. There are still too many existing holes to commit that type of money to an average 3B.

Committing the same money for five years to a declining 1B is better?

Committing the same money for five years to a declining 1B is better?

I guess it would depend on how pronounced the team feels his decline is going to be. He is not the hitter that he was from 2000-2004, but really who is? He hit well last year except of a stretch during the middle of summer when he had some sort of stomach/abdominal problems. If he's stil able to put a .900 OPS with top notch defense, that's worth $9 million a year. I'm bothered by the five years thing (especially with a no-trade clause) but I'm not immediately scared off either. How much money/years/talent will it cost them when they go 1B shopping during free agency next summer? There's a possibility that Helton is the best option out there.

There's a possibility that Helton is the best option out there.

A soon to be 34-year old 1B that's still on the hook for 5 years and has played most of his career at Coors Field is/will be the best option? I sincerely doubt it. I'd much rather give the money to a 26-27 year old guy whose best years are to come instead of him.

I know most around here won't care, but it was just announced that the Brewers have signed Bill Hall to a four year deal, with an option for a fifth. Guaranteed money is around $24 million. Probably ends up being a bargain if Hall continues to perform well. He's probably going to be their everyday center fielder from now on.

Helton for Lowell and company makes absolutely no sense. Why would the Rockies take Lowell when they have TWO good young third basemen in their system? I honestly think it is in both teams' interest not to make that trade.

There's a possibility that Helton is the best option out there.

A soon to be 34-year old 1B that's still on the hook for 5 years and has played most of his career at Coors Field is/will be the best option? I sincerely doubt it. I'd much rather give the money to a 26-27 year old guy whose best years are to come instead of him.

As would I, but name me one 26-27 year old 1B who is going to be available in the next year or two. How much money is he going to cost? I think Teixeira is a FA next year, but he's going to get Soriano money and Boston can't afford that. I'm not sold on Helton, but I'm not against the idea if the money/risk is right. Before last year he hit just as well on the road as he did at home. Helton definitely took advantage of Coors, but he was a great hitter no matter where he was playing.

And to Al, yes the Rockies do not have any need for Lowell. It's just a caveat of the deal they would have to accept if they want to move Helton to the Sox. Boston is playing with all the chips right now because Colorado is desperate to move Helton and he has said he's not going anywhere but Boston (well, technically he approved St. Louis and Atlanta as well, but neither team would ever take a look at him).

I know most around here won't care, but it was just announced that the Brewers have signed Bill Hall to a four year deal, with an option for a fifth. Guaranteed money is around $24 million. Probably ends up being a bargain if Hall continues to perform well. He's probably going to be their everyday center fielder from now on.

I know I care about this deal. If Bill Hall performs like he did this past season, $6 million a year for 4 years is going to be a bargain, especially if he cuts down on strikeouts. Why are the Brewers so insistent on sticking him in the outfield? Put him at third. It's not like Craig Counsell or Tony Graffanino are as good as him at 3rd (and Corey Koskie won't be back any time soon, right?), and they have more options in the outfield.

Or they could even trade him. Bill Hall is now a fantastic bargain at $6 million a year and he has the most value as a SS. That could degrade if they move him to the outfield where his bat won't be as special.

And to Al, yes the Rockies do not have any need for Lowell. It's just a caveat of the deal they would have to accept if they want to move Helton to the Sox. Boston is playing with all the chips right now because Colorado is desperate to move Helton and he has said he's not going anywhere but Boston (well, technically he approved St. Louis and Atlanta as well, but neither team would ever take a look at him).
If Colorado is desperate, they shouldn't be. They can't commit tons of money to free agent pitchers. Their farm system is absolutely stocked at this point.

I know I care about this deal. If Bill Hall performs like he did this past season, $6 million a year for 4 years is going to be a bargain, especially if he cuts down on strikeouts. Why are the Brewers so insistent on sticking him in the outfield? Put him at third. It's not like Craig Counsell or Tony Graffanino are as good as him at 3rd (and Corey Koskie won't be back any time soon, right?), and they have more options in the outfield.

Ryan Braun. Third base prospect who slugged .589 in the Southern League last season.

As an aside, that Brewers infield is going to be a hell of a lot of fun once they get together. JJ Hardy and Rickie Weeks are 24, Braun is 23 and Prince Fielder is 22.

Milwaukee and Cleveland are the two teams no one is talking about and probably should be.

People should definitely be talking about the Brewers. Personally, I think they're the scariest team in the Central. I think their lineup is maybe the most balanced lineup in the NL. They don't have a perennial slugger like a Lance Berkman or a Pujols or a Derek Lee, but they have a good balance of power and speed with Prince Fielder, Bill Hall, Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, etc. And they have a really, really solid rotation with Ben Sheets at the top (pray he stays healthy), Capuano, the underrated Dave Bush, Jeff Suppan, and whatever rookie they put at #5. They've got a proven closer in Cordero and, if Turnbow recovers, that gives them even more depth. Their bullpen isn't spectactular, but it's extremely solid. As of right now, I'm picking the Brewers to finish no lower than #2 in the Central (of course I'm pickin' the 'Stros at #1, oh eternal homer that I am).

viva posting about everything Astros makes the baseball threads unreadable.

viva posting about everything Astros makes the baseball threads unreadable.

The reason I post about everything Astros is to make them unreadable so that you won't read them and, thus, won't post. Huzzah!

I guess I won't mention I was rooting for the Colts yesterday...if only because I'm a longtime Saints' fan and Peyton is kin to Archie Manning.