TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

I could make an entire thread out of some of the

Best Buy employee: "We don't know when we'll be getting in any Wiis, but if you sign up for our exclusive newsletter, we'll let you know in advance. However, it should be this Friday for our next shipment, just in time for Christmas."

Translation: "We're just gonna sit on them, make you sign up for a completely useless newsletter, and also turn around and tell you when it is that we get them we'll be a day late. Oh, and we've got'em in the back but wanna make sure that people who can't get'em end up buying some other (more expensive) stuff, for when you fail at getting one."

Are you sure this was Best Buy? I've worked at one for three years and this is the first I've heard of any newsletter.

Yup, was the Best Buy on the north west side of Edmonton heading towards St. Albert.

And don't worry, I'm quite sure it doesn't exist either. Since my mom apparently tried to sign up for one and there was no way to do so.

It is kind of funny and perplexing. They can shell out $500 for a console, but not $200 for a cheap CRT that supports composite and possibly component?

360s cost $300-$400 (well, plus tax). Cheap CRTs with component are virtually non-existent in major retailers, too, so it would have to be something you'd know to look for.

I understood the reasoning behind posting the comment. If and when I get a 360 I'll probably go with VGA, since I don't think I'm going to be going the HDTV route yet unless my (still functioning very well) TV dies on me.

However, the comment shows how out of touch tech geeks can be. Casual gamers often don't know anything about the different cables other than what is on the back of their TV. I used to be the same way and I'm a long time gamer.

Something JUST happened to me.

I was at Hollywood Video, which is conected to GameCrazy. This little kid comes running to his Mom "They got PS3s overthere." So I drop what I have in my hands and run over to GC. I get in line and buy a PS3 60GB. They ask if I want the warranty and of course I say no.

The family behind me (the who I heard that they had PS3s) say something about the warranty that GC offers. And I tell them don't get it because Sony has their own. Then this the covo I have with the guy who works there: (something like this)

Guy: "Don't tell them that"

Me: "Why not?"

Guy: "Because you are ruining our sales. Don't tell them your own opinion in the store, but do it outside"

Me: "What? Are you kidding me? I can do whatever I want. Your warranty is a waste of money"

Guy: "Just don't say anything inside the store! You are always in here causing trouble. "

(I am never in there and if I am, I just look around.)

Me: "Guy, I am never in here. Yeah, you're a real piece of work"

Guy: "Well take your PS3 and if something is wrong with it too bad"

Me: "Yeah I know, I'll just contact Sony you ass."

And I walk out.

So if someone is buying a game that sucks, I'm not allowed to tell them that? Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm selling it on eBay anyway, so who cares.

I love the fact that he bitches out the GC guy for being an ass, then says he's going to (try to) sell the PS3 on Ebay anyway.

You're an ass, too. I hope you have to take it back soon because you couldn't sell it for your asking price and need to deal with the same guy again. He's trying to gouge customers because of management mandate. What's your excuse?

I'd dropped some knowledge about EB/Gamestop's joke of a warranty a few times. Seriously...they're selling you a 1 year protection on Nintendo DS? When Nintendo themselves offer a 1 year and bend over backwards to fix any problems? Geez.

Guest NYankees
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but PS3s aren't exactly earning a profit on eBay.

How much of a profit can you make when you are selling in a flooded ebay market and you have to pay ebay and paypal their fees?

It seems to me that only people who got PS3 for free would make any money off of selling it on ebay.

I'll make $20. That is $20 more than I had before.

I love the fact that he bitches out the GC guy for being an ass, then says he's going to (try to) sell the PS3 on Ebay anyway.

You're an ass, too. I hope you have to take it back soon because you couldn't sell it for your asking price and need to deal with the same guy again. He's trying to gouge customers because of management mandate. What's your excuse?

I'd dropped some knowledge about EB/Gamestop's joke of a warranty a few times. Seriously...they're selling you a 1 year protection on Nintendo DS? When Nintendo themselves offer a 1 year and bend over backwards to fix any problems? Geez.

Wait, what? I'm an ass for trying to make some money on eBay? That's funny when YOU HAVE AN EBAY ACCOUNT YOURSELF. But selling games is different because they are games. Right? PLEASE tell me the difference, I beg you.

I told a customer MY opinion how the warranty sucks. And he tells me not to express my opinion. I didn't see a sign saying "Don't tell people what you think." Have you ever told someone in a store not to buy a game because it sucks? I am sure you have, which is exactly what I did.

And if I can't sell it, oh well. I'll have a PS3 for myself. OH NO! I have a PS3!

I heard this at EB today, just checking to see if NCAA 07 was in for the 360.

Parent: "I bought my son NHL 07 and it doesn't work. It says something about a 'Disc Error?' I want to return the game."

EB: "The game is for the Xbox 360."

I heard this at EB today, just checking to see if NCAA 07 was in for the 360.

Parent: "I bought my son NHL 07 and it doesn't work. It says something about a 'Disc Error?' I want to return the game."

EB: "The game is for the Xbox 360."

Get your Xbox Live back instead, dammit!

Jericho, I understand that people are going to ask stupid questions but I guess some people figured that since it has been a couple of days that there might have been a new shipment since the holiday weekend. I went to Software Etc last week and I saw Wii boxes behind the counter and I thought they had a new shipment and I asked and I was told they were sold out.

yea I know, Im never mean to customers who ask me that, I just politely tell them no, and to check back on like friday after the trucks has come in.

Something JUST happened to me.

I was at Hollywood Video, which is conected to GameCrazy. This little kid comes running to his Mom "They got PS3s overthere." So I drop what I have in my hands and run over to GC. I get in line and buy a PS3 60GB. They ask if I want the warranty and of course I say no.

The family behind me (the who I heard that they had PS3s) say something about the warranty that GC offers. And I tell them don't get it because Sony has their own. Then this the covo I have with the guy who works there: (something like this)

Guy: "Don't tell them that"

Me: "Why not?"

Guy: "Because you are ruining our sales. Don't tell them your own opinion in the store, but do it outside"

Me: "What? Are you kidding me? I can do whatever I want. Your warranty is a waste of money"

Guy: "Just don't say anything inside the store! You are always in here causing trouble. "

(I am never in there and if I am, I just look around.)

Me: "Guy, I am never in here. Yeah, you're a real piece of work"

Guy: "Well take your PS3 and if something is wrong with it too bad"

Me: "Yeah I know, I'll just contact Sony you ass."

And I walk out.

So if someone is buying a game that sucks, I'm not allowed to tell them that? Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm selling it on eBay anyway, so who cares.

Last I knew, Sony's warranty was 90 days and only covered manufacter's defects. If that thing shits out on you by this time next year, you are shit out of luck. And having worked at Best Buy for three years, I have seen more than enough Playstations, Xboxs, DS's, Gamecubes, etc to say that store warranties are not a waste of money. You still don't have to buy it if you don't want to, but don't rely on manufacters too much. And even if your just going to sell it, of course you're not going to want it, but you don't have to be an ass about it either.

And you really shouldn't do that in the store either, even though you technically have the right to. If that family's PS3 breaks on them, they may want to ring your neck.

Best Buy warranties are the best. I took back my PS2 right before the warranty was up and got about 100 bucks in store credit.

Wait, what? I'm an ass for trying to make some money on eBay? That's funny when YOU HAVE AN EBAY ACCOUNT YOURSELF. But selling games is different because they are games. Right? PLEASE tell me the difference, I beg you.

I told a customer MY opinion how the warranty sucks. And he tells me not to express my opinion. I didn't see a sign saying "Don't tell people what you think." Have you ever told someone in a store not to buy a game because it sucks? I am sure you have, which is exactly what I did.

And if I can't sell it, oh well. I'll have a PS3 for myself. OH NO! I have a PS3!

You spent $600 in an attempt to make $20? Clearly you're not the brains of TheSmartMarks.com.

You spent $600 in an attempt to make $20? Clearly you're not the brains of TheSmartMarks.com.

But he is the sexy.

Guest NYankees

Lets get it straight. He paid 600 plus tax which comes out to like 640 for the system. You have to pay a listing fee and a final selling fee on ebay. Then you have to pay a paypal fee even though ebay and paypal are owned by the same company. Go figure that one out. PLus you have to sell the thing in a flooded ps3 market. That sounds like a lot of bs to make 20 dollars. Thats why it seems to me that it only makes sense for people who got their ps3 for free to sell it on ebay.

Sony's warranties used to be 90 days--but PS2 Slim, PSP, and now PS3 have 1 year warranties.

Riiiight. Because owning an ebay account = being a system scalper. I had a chance to preorder a PS3 so I'd have it on launch day, and passed on it. Why? Because I didn't want it, and just maybe someone who actually did, got it.

Translation: OH NO! I didn't think this through!

Well I am keeping it anyway.
You plunked down $600 plus tax for a PS3 with intentions of selling it? Now you're not? Clearly you mustn't have been hurting for that 20 dollars.

Lets get it straight. He paid 600 plus tax which comes out to like 640 for the system. You have to pay a listing fee and a final selling fee on ebay. Then you have to pay a paypal fee even though ebay and paypal are owned by the same company. Go figure that one out. PLus you have to sell the thing in a flooded ps3 market.

Don't forget shipping costs, which will be quite a bit cuz the PS3 is heavy. And insurance and some form of tracking is a must, too.

Guest NYankees

I didn't count shipping, insurance and tracking because a seller charges the buyer to pay for that. It's too much of a hassle to make 20 dollars off of it. It is a different story if he got it for free and is selling it off. Why sell it off to make 20 dollars when you know you are most likely going to get the system again in the next 5 years? It is not worth it.

Guest Smues

Employee: Have you pre-ordered the X-box 360 yet?

Me: No I haven't decided if I want to get one that qui

Employee (cutting me off mid-sentence): THEN YOU AREN'T GETTING ONE BECAUSE WE SOLD OUT OF PRE-ORDERS AWHILE AGO!!!!!!!!!

Because, of course, if I don't pre-order it at your specific store then I can't get it anywhere ever.

You sure showed me.

Yeah, because my life is revolved around "showing you."

I realized I couldn't make any money off it, so I now have a BR player. And I am happy.

Best Buy warranties are the best. I took back my PS2 right before the warranty was up and got about 100 bucks in store credit.

Yeah, Best Buy's two year replacement plan is indeed awesome. As a former cashier, I've sold many and have benefitted from them myself. To me, they are must-have on any game system.

Guest Smues

You sure showed me.

I realized I couldn't make any money off it, so I now have a BR player. And I am happy.

And Marvin rejoices.

You sure showed me.

And Marvin rejoices.

Marvin won't be happy until we find out the stats for the tv.

Employee: Have you pre-ordered the X-box 360 yet?

Me: No I haven't decided if I want to get one that qui

Employee (cutting me off mid-sentence): THEN YOU AREN'T GETTING ONE BECAUSE WE SOLD OUT OF PRE-ORDERS AWHILE AGO!!!!!!!!!

Because, of course, if I don't pre-order it at your specific store then I can't get it anywhere ever.

I would have pre-ordered it somewhere else then would have went back to that store and showed the jerk my recipet and said "THATS OK BECAUSE I PRE-ORDERED IT *insert othere store name here* AND THEY'RE STILL TAKING PRE-ORDERS!"

and I would have made sure to have done it when their was a crowd in the store.

I walked into Gamestop with my girlfriend and I said to her: "If I buy something, or even maybe even ask for something, they will ask me if I want to reserve/pre-order something."

Sure enough, when I asked about a nunchuck for the Wii, (with a lysp)"No we don't have any, but if you reserve a Wii Play, you can one with it."

Guest Smues
I walked into Gamestop with my girlfriend and I said to her: "If I buy something, or even maybe even ask for something, they will ask me if I want to reserve/pre-order something."

Sure enough, when I asked about a nunchuck for the Wii, (with a lysp)"No we don't have any, but if you reserve a Wii Play, you can one with it."

Doesn't Wii play just come with the remote and no nunchuk? And let me guess, despite not having any in stock, they had a zillion "bring this card to the counter for product" cards for the nunchuk?