TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Best Games of 2006

Cardinals v. Mets game 7 of the NLCS. For a game featuring starting pitchers Jeff Suppan and Oliver Perez(!), it turned out to be one of the more entertaining games of the playoffs. Also had one of the best catches of the season, when Endy Chavez robbed Molina with the snowcone catch in the sixth.

The end was less than perfect, Beltran went out with the bat on his shoulder on a perfect 0-2 hook.

But it was a really, really entertaining game for an outsider (like me).

Cardinals v. Mets game 7 of the NLCS. For a game featuring starting pitchers Jeff Suppan and Oliver Perez(!), it turned out to be one of the more entertaining games of the playoffs. Also had one of the best catches of the season, when Endy Chavez robbed Molina with the snowcone catch in the sixth.

The end was less than perfect, Beltran went out with the bat on his shoulder on a perfect 0-2 hook.

But it was a really, really entertaining game for an outsider (like me).

I agree. It's hard for me to look past the heartbreaking result, but it was a fantastic game.

My favorite game of the year, bar none...

August 22nd, 2006 - St. Louis Cardinals at New York Mets - This was the game where Delgado hit his 400th home run, a grand slam that was hit when the Mets happened to be down 7-1. Later in the evening, Beltran would finish the job with a two-run shot in the bottom of the ninth that sent me leaping out of my chair and shouting in joy. Mets won 8-7.

Honorable mention to the Jets' defeat of the Patriots in Foxboro.

- Kenny Rogers' performance against the Yankees in the ALDS (Game 3, was it?). That ovation he got when he came off the mound was something special.

- USC vs. Texas in the Rose Bowl

- June 24th, Red Sox-Phillies nationally televised FOX game on a damp Saturday afternoon. I was there and saw both Papelbon pitch out of a bases loaded jam in extras followed by Papi bopping one out to win it, causing the drunk girl in front of me to jump on her seat and almost break her leg when she slips and it snaps shut.

Rose Bowl

UCLA/ Gonzaga

Ohio St/Michigan

Games 6 and 7 of the Washington/Cleveland series.

Game 5 Phoenix/LA Clippers

Twins vs Red Sox. Schilling vs Santana. Jason Kubel walk-off Grand Slam.

Twins vs Tigers. Justin Morneau's go ahead HR of Zumya ends the drought of not having a 30 HR hitter.

Twins vs White Sox. Jermaine Dye two run homer off Joe Nathan ties the game. Twins win in 11 8-7.

Rose Bowl

The 4-game sweep of the Cards by MY Houston Astros (including 3 walk-offs)

The Saints vs. the Cowboys a couple weeks ago. Hell yeah~!

Guest Princess Leena

Of course, Kobe scoring 81 leading the Rapist(s) over the mighty Raptors.

Seriously,

Nadal d. Federer - Rome final.

George Mason d. UConn - NCAA Quarterfinal.

US Open - Hefty Mickelson's mighty collapse. May he never recover.

The 2nd half of 2006 was really boring.

Andre Agassi's final match

No. Unless you mean the Baghdatis match. Which was fine drama.

Guest wolverine1007

OSU - Michigan

Edmonton - Carolina, game 7 Stanley Cup (living in Edmonton made it even better, then worse)

Colts - Steelers

Agree with Aggasi's US open run

Chargers - Bengals was maybe not the best game, but fun to watch

USC - Texas, can't wait to see Leinart vs. Young in the NFL

Rose Bowl

Lakers-Suns Game 4

George Mason-UConn

These win.

Also, LSU/Tennessee. That's not just a fanboy pick. Said Edwin at one point on AIM: "WOW. Those last three plays get a WOW."

Louisville/Rutgers was awesome as well.

Indy 500's been mentioned.

I can't think of much more, because I barely watched baseball this year.

Guest Vitamin X

I enjoyed the World Baseball Classic (just not the ending), as well as the Rose Bowl and Lakers/Suns Game 4.

In addition to the ones mentioned:

Game 4-Tigers/A's (Maggs' walkoff was probably one of the top 5 Detroit sports moments in my lifetime)

Women's CBB final-Maryland/Duke

Sugar Bowl-Georgia/WV

That Dodgers 4-HR game (even though most of us couldn't see the game live)

EDIT: That Texas/Tennessee game yesterday was mighty good too

In no order,

USC-Texas: Best college football game I've ever seen, and one that lived up to the hype, which says a lot.

Agassi-Baghdatis: I really believed the crowd willed Andre to this win, as many of the assumed "laws of tennis" were defined (holding serves, big leads blown within a set). I had about 5 people who don't care about tennis watching it with me. That's my barometer of if it was a great match.

George Mason-UConn: I've never watched a sporting event where I was fixated on the clock more than the actual score. I was heartbroken when UConn tied it up, and shocked when the 3 didn't go in. Great game.

Michigan-OSU: I'm a OSU homer, but it was a great game. Troy Smith showing his Vince Young like qualities in a big game.

Mets-Cards NLCS Game 7: I loved the Cards, but I would have bet the farm the Mets were winning after Chavez stole Rolen's HR. This game, while dogged by some is a great example of why playoff baseball is great.

Duke-Maryland NCAA Women's Title Game: Maybe it was the gambling, or that I coach women's sports now, but a small part of me died putting this on the list. Great game though.

Phoenix-Lakers Series: Can't remember which game were great, but this and the Clippers series was extremly fun to watch.

Wizards-Suns, Friday night: Don't usually stay in on a Friday night, but you knew this was going to be an exciting game.

Argentina-Mexico WC Round of 16: Good emotion, pretty good game, and one of the prettier goals I've ever seen.

That Dodgers 4-HR game (even though most of us couldn't see the game live)

Oh shit, how did I forget that.

In addition to the ones mentioned:

Women's CBB final-Maryland/Duke

That games deserves a lot more love. That was the best game of hoops, men's or women's, at any level last year.

Another one not mentioned:

Itaily beats Germany with a late goal in the WC semi-final. Great atmosphere as the Germans can actually show thier national pride in a positive manner.

Guest Princess Leena
Andre Agassi's final match

No. Unless you mean the Baghdatis match. Which was fine drama.

More the event of his final match than the match itself.

Those were phony emotions from Mr. Showman, but we don't need to get into that.

Montreal Canadiens "knocking out" the Toronto Maple Leafs at the end of the 05-06 season.

Rose Bowl

2006 Masters

2006 Open

Indy 500

Super Bowl XL

As much as I love both Augusta and Mickelson, and I feel badly saying this, Baron, I'm gonna side with Leena and give the golf nod to the US Open and not the Masters.

Game Six of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Montreal's two-game series last March with the Leafs.