TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 1/1 - 1/7

Oh, and Snuffy needs to get over the SEC hype. It's warranted. Every mofo in this thread will eat their words when Florida beats Ohio State.

Like how Arkansas beat Wisco? Or how Tennessee beat unranked Penn St?

Besides the Big East, has any conference gone undefeated this bowl season so far? I could bring up Minnesota choking away a 31 point second half lead or Purdue accomplishing jack-all against the unstoppable force of the Maryland Terrapins or Michigan making anyone who wanted them in the title game hide their faces, but that'd be ludicrous. I mean, Wisconsin beat Arkansas by three and Penn State was more than happy to help Tennessee beat itself. Surely a triad of competitive losses (Alabama went down on a last-second field goal) is more humiliating for a conference than a triad of losses that made you wonder what the teams were doing there in the first place. That statement doesn't include Michigan, since they deserved a trip to the Rose Bowl even if they blew the national good will towards them.

Michigan making anyone who wanted them in the title game hide their faces

I initially read this as "hide their feces"

Carry on

Minnesota & Purdue are the jobbers of the conference. When the best teams match up we are seeing what happens. And we'll see how your prediction pans out re: Florida-Ohio St.

Well, stuff like Wisconsin vs. Arkansas are just "eh" matchups that could go either way. I'm not sure why ARK was favored in that game considering they had lost 3 games and Wisconsin had lost 1.

I don't think conferences matter as much as the matchups. The Big East is currently unbeaten in bowl action since the BE has had some jobber matchups. Anyone with a brain knew USF would smack East Carolina, and while I picked Kansas St. over Rutgers in the bowl thread out of spite I figured Rutgers would likely win. WVU/GT was a bit closer than I expected.

I don't get all the Cinderella talk about Boise. In 2004 Boise was 11-0 going into the Liberty Bowl vs. U of L in the matchup of teams screwed out of the BCS. U of L barely won it 44-40 in an insane game. Truth be told, that U of L team is a lot better than this OU team, so I'm a bit baffled as to why OU was such a favorite.

How can anybody doubt that the SEC is the best conference, year in and year out? It's as close to accepted fact as something like that could get.

They got fucking nine teams into bowls and the worst of those handled the ACC's second best team. And the Big Ten didn't even get a win in bowl until yesterday.

Who is that worst SEC team that beat the 2nd best from the ACC? Do you mean UGA over VT? I assume it was UK and Clemson you meant but 1) UK wasn't the worst bowl team in the SEC, since they finished 3rd in the East and 2) Clemson only finished 8-4 and wasn't in any way the 2nd best team in the ACC.

Guest Princess Leena

When I hear whatever that announcer guy is, I think XFL. Or other various peon sports.

The second best team in the ACC lost by 4 to the second best team from the Big East. I don't care who had the better ranking, Georgia Tech went 7-1 in the ACC during the regular season (the best record in the conference) and lost in the title game. They were the runner up. Virginia Tech would be 3rd and they lost to the 6th best team from the SEC in Georgia. Clemson was the 5th best team in the ACC and they lost to the 7th place SEC team in Kentucky. Also, the worst SEC bowl team would be Alabama and they lost to Oklahoma State.

No one's trying to say the ACC's better than the SEC, the SEC is likely the best conference in the country top to bottom. However, the gap between them and the other conferences is much smaller than a lot of people would like to suggest. Saying that the 9th best SEC team beat the 2nd best SEC team is just ridiculous.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Vasgersian was doing Brewers games on television for a while, wasn't he?

The second best team in the ACC lost by 4 to the second best team from the Big East. I don't care who had the better ranking, Georgia Tech went 7-1 in the ACC during the regular season (the best record in the conference) and lost in the title game. They were the runner up. Virginia Tech would be 3rd and they lost to the 6th best team from the SEC in Georgia. Clemson was the 5th best team in the ACC and they lost to the 7th place SEC team in Kentucky. Also, the worst SEC bowl team would be Alabama and they lost to Oklahoma State.

No one's trying to say the ACC's better than the SEC, the SEC is likely the best conference in the country top to bottom. However, the gap between them and the other conferences is much smaller than a lot of people would like to suggest. Saying that the 9th best SEC team beat the 2nd best SEC team is just ridiculous.

Maryland was #4 in the ACC and they won their bowl game vs Purdue. Nothing to brag about or anything really..

Vasgersian was doing Brewers games on television for a while, wasn't he?

Yep. His catchphrase was "Good night now!"

Guest Princess Leena

And if Boise played Oklahoma in the regular season, they'd lose at least 90% of the time.

Bowls take a lot more things into account. A huge part is motivation. That's why using them to compare conferences is pointless.

Guest Princess Leena

I vaguely remember that show.

I miss good sports trivia shows. Stump the Schwab doesn't count as one of those.

And if Boise played Oklahoma in the regular season, they'd lose at least 90% of the time.

Bowls take a lot more things into account. A huge part is motivation. That's why using them to compare conferences is pointless.

They'd probably lose, but only because they'd have to play in Norman. And it still wouldn't be 90% of the time. I bet Oklahoma would lose 90% of the time if they had to travel to Boise and play on the blue field in the cold though. The fact is (ignoring the site) Boise State would actually have a better chance in a regular season game than in a bowl game since they'd be extra motivated, treating it as one of their biggest games of the season, while to Oklahoma, it would take a backseat to conference play. With weeks to prepare on either side in a BCS game is about the only situation where you could get an even contest between Boise State and Oklahoma. If you think the Sooners weren't motivated last night to prove themselves against a Top Ten opponent in the Fiesta Bowl, you're crazy.

As for the Orange Bowl, like some others here, I didn't bet it and I'm not watching it. I didn't see much of an edge to take either side given the spread, and I really do need a day off after the craziness that was the Fiesta Bowl last night. I was already starting to think that I was burned out on football a little bit yesterday, as after watching Georgia Tech play, I fell asleep during the Rose Bowl and was fairly bored through most of the first half in Glendale. Then, we had the craziest finish in college football history, and while that was a great experience, I'm really not feeling Louisville/Wake tonight. LSU's my biggest bet of the year, so I'll be into the Sugar Bowl, and I'll be into Florida/Ohio State because it's for the championship, but I'm just taking a break tonight.

*waiting for cabbageboy to go off on a tangent about how Louisville blew it by losing to Rutgers and how he will never forgive the Scarlet Knights for pulling the upset.*