TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

OAO ECW Thread for 1/2/07

Yeah, I was flipping channels tonight and saw that RVD was getting a title shot at Lashley so I decided to watch even though I've pretty much given up on wrestling. Uh, yeah, that was awful. Both guys do a couple signature spots and then they do a fake injury angle on a clothesline? A friggin clothesline? Even when they first did it, I was about 95% sure it was fake, and then after watching the replay it wasn't even close. I don't even see how you could get hurt on that move. RVD jumped to the ground and so did Lashley. Weeeeeeak. I won't be watching that show again any time soon.

Yeah, I was flipping channels tonight and saw that RVD was getting a title shot at Lashley so I decided to watch even though I've pretty much given up on wrestling. Uh, yeah, that was awful. Both guys do a couple signature spots and then they do a fake injury angle on a clothesline? A friggin clothesline? Even when they first did it, I was about 95% sure it was fake, and then after watching the replay it wasn't even close. I don't even see how you could get hurt on that move. RVD jumped to the ground and so did Lashley. Weeeeeeak. I won't be watching that show again any time soon.

Same here. Fuck what wwe has turned that show into.

Looked like an obvious table break, but then Lashley stood up and Rob moved from the apron to the 2nd rope. The announcers bailed so it shouldve broke. Lashley probably screwed up and it made him look weak, seeing as how he couldnt continue. Or maybe there was supposed to be a Test run-in but he was in the bathroom

Yeah, it looks like lashley botched the finish here, because RVD was ready to go and then there seemed to be some sort of miscommunication as RVD stood on the top turnbuckle as he was going to go for the splash but then lashey got up. It was weird. Lashly sucks. end of story.

Looked like an obvious table break, but then Lashley stood up and Rob moved from the apron to the 2nd rope. The announcers bailed so it shouldve broke. Lashley probably screwed up and it made him look weak, seeing as how he couldnt continue. Or maybe there was supposed to be a Test run-in but he was in the bathroom

That would have been great. The Ref throws up the X again, and Test, dressed as a paramedic, comes out and starts beating the hell out of both of em.

Yeah the ending to this match was fairly unspectacular, checked the match out while flipping from the Orange Bowl. It's like it needed to have a crashing table break for impact.

Speaking of Impact, that sign for RVD tonight was gold: "RVD: Next ECW champ, or go to TNA. RVD deserves gold!" One of the best and truest (yet sad) signs in a while.

WTF is going on 1st Balls Mahoney eats an elbow from Vampire ending the match early and now Lashley refuses to take the RVD trademark legdrop on the table spot.......I got 2 words for ya "YOU'RE FIRED!"

Vince should hav Federline beat all his other champs to prove to the fans and critics he's not a beefcake lover like everyone thinks he is.

And then hire more beefcake.

The show is pretty unspectacular pre and post Heyman. They need to decide if this is a C-level show, a developmental show, or something else. The title is really all they have, with a roster smaller than the worst indy companies. With only one title they would have to turn the notch up on feuds and storylines, but either way the answer is getting more talent.

And no the answer to all problems is not Gene freakin Snitsky.

Without any big shows or ppvs to lead into, the show is always in a holding pattern, which is how DTD got so screwed up.

The TNA sign was hilarious cause they cut away to any rvd signs during his intro and the letters were so scrunched together you didnt notice it till it was onscreen for too long.

Im surprised they get fans to stay that late for the live taping. Aside from being on camera, I'd rather beat the traffic after having my fill of MVP.

Tonight's show was unspectacular, but I did think that RVD/Lashley was suprisingly good until the botched finish. They played the match exactly the way they should, featuring Lashley's strength vs. RVD's speed/agility/aerial arsenal. Like everyone else said, the ending was very weird, because RVD laid Lashley on the table, setting up the Spinning Leg Drop, and right when he is doing the "R-V-D" taunt, Lashley just stands up, and instead of of RVD completely nixing the jump, he moves to the 2nd rope to do a different move......!?! Even though it was botched, I do prefer THAT ending over a Test run-in, because maybe this is a sign that Vince is not sold on Lashley or Test so much, and wants RVD hanging around in the World Title scene a little while longer, while he figures out what to do with RVD regarding his contract situation.

I was listening to the PWInsider audio today and get this....the potential WM ECW title match may well be Lashley vs. Khali. Please kill this brand right now.

You know, sadly enough I am somewhat interested in that match. Should be interesting to see what (if any) power moves Lashley can bust out on that huge son of a bitch. Personally I would rather have Lashey vs RVD at Mania, leading to RVD dropping the belt to CM Punk at ONS3 on his way to TNA.

Why the hell is Khali still employed? I would think that he would be on the top of the list to be fired to make room for the sex slaves...I mean the new Diva Search girls.

Man, before that replay I thought Lashley hit his head on the side of the barricade... they should just try to pass it off as that... Lashley didn't know where the hell he was at, etc. Have Test play the Edge-lite prick and run havoc on ECW for a few weeks until Lashley returns.

Anyone taller than Vince will always get a steady paycheck somehow as long as they keep their mouth shut.

I cant think of any matchup I'd wanna see Lashley with (living or dead) and I bet Vince has been salivating over a Lashley/Khali matchup as soon as they moved him over there.

I actually hesitate when complaining about this show because unspectacular is a good word for it, but could be a whole lot worse as other companies and shows have demonstrated.

Other threads have talked about wanting to add more comedy which will lead to more uncomedy and in turn less wrestling, or at least more bad wrestling.

In particular the live shows that air after Smackdown:

the last thing you'd want is an already partially dead crowd after screaming for 2 hours for the Miz and MVP, to watch horrible backstage segments when they could be on their way home already. I attended one taping myself in the summer and it happened to be before Raw instead of a live taping. This was much better since the crowd was hot since it was the first action theyd see, and overall enough matches for the night since a normal Raw nowadays has about 15 minutes of actual wrestling if you dont count the main event.

The crowd was really hot the first few months of the live shows because it was still new and there was hope it wouldnt suck back then. They still hadnt depushed the original ECW guys and Angle was still shoring up the ranks. All of a sudden 90% of the show became squash matches that you dont even see on C-level shows anymore.

The biggest hurdle really besides all the big goofs walking around and no aggressive head writer is that the whole roster falls into either being midcard rejects, or guys Mcmahon never heard of or are in his doghouse. At least in the 80s he would have to actually watch the matches and put over all the talent since he was announcing. You could tell for the last 4 months Big Show was the only Vince cared about being protected. The only enjoyable thing about the last show is Rob wasnt squashed as bad as Sabu because he's still popular and Lashley looked totally weak for being unable to continue after a freakin closeline

The crowd was really hot the first few months of the live shows because it was still new and there was hope it wouldnt suck back then. They still hadnt depushed the original ECW guys and Angle was still shoring up the ranks. All of a sudden 90% of the show became squash matches that you dont even see on C-level shows anymore.

Well, also because there was actual ECW fans attending the shows back then, who had a glimmer of hope that this brand would be successful. They would come out to cheer guys like Sabu and The Sandman, who they hadn't seen live in awhile. Also, in the beginning, they were holding ECW shows in ECW-friendly cities and venues. That stopped abruptly once Vince wasn't getting the reaction from the fans that HE WANTED, and then once it became apparent that Vince just kept around the ECW originals so he could squash them and make them look inferior to WWE midcarders, those fans stopped attending the shows, and now you basically have Smackdown fans(or what is left of them after the 2 hours) sitting on their hands for workers they don't care for. I mean did you hear the "Lashley" chant last night? If anything it shows you how easily some people will cheer for certain wrestlers based soley on the position they are given on TV and can be willed into cheering for someone because they have a belt.

The arena looked like a civic center or minor league sport facility that can only hold roughly 2000-3000 with a crowd of that size you would think there would be more fan participation but what was seen on tv was some minor cheers for the ECW Originals everything else was pure silence. When Bobby Lashley was doing the British Bulldog stalling vertical suplex you could hear the quiet whispers from row 5 section C "why is he the champion".....seconds later when RVD did his trademark double thumb pointing taunt everybody in the crowd was yelling "R - V - D" and at the end of the show where Lashley botched the finish you could hear and see the lil middle school kids chant "bullshit bullshit bullshit" to the lame injury finish.

Hottest crowd reaction

RVD

Balls Mahoney

Crickets

Test

Guest Toddiwod

RVD is the whole damn show, after all. If it weren't for him or CM Punk, I wouldn't even bother to turn on ECW. Also, I must have missed the announcement, but what happened to Justin Credible? I know he was dick, but I thought he was a great performer in the ring.

And as much as I'd love to see Punk as ECW Champ, it probably is too early for that. But I'll take anything over Lashley as champ. The guy has as much personality as a turnbuckle during promos and interviews.

Guest Dirty Killingsocks
what happened to Justin Credible? I know he was dick, but I thought he was a great performer in the ring.

Fired. Works at Target or something.

Guest Toddiwod
what happened to Justin Credible? I know he was dick, but I thought he was a great performer in the ring.

it'd be sweet if he worked at the one down the street from my house. I'd just be afraid of having a Northern Lights Suplex on to a register for my troubles.

it'd be sweet if he worked at the one down the street from my house. I'd just be afraid of having a Northern Lights Suplex on to a register for my troubles.

Thats not just the coolest, thats not just the greatest, thats on clearance on isle 5. With Justin Credible and Stevie Richards gone who is going to put over the talent that Mr. McMahon has a man-crush over?

Guest Dirty Killingsocks

No, he was not. Stevie still tears it up on "ECW on Sci Fi" each and every six months or so. If he's lucky.

No, he was not. Stevie still tears it up on "ECW on Sci Fi" each and every six months or so. If he's lucky.

LOL..I just had the "I'll show you..you'll see!" pop into my head..we're probably due for a stevie appearance too..