TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 67: All or Nothing

Halverson was pretty sad. The dude is old and hasn't been fighting for long. Still I'd like to know if he really got hit in the head. When we went over backwards he seemed to be pretty ok then just flattened and crumbled after the knee. Hard to say where it hit him, could have been on the neck or lower side of the face, or could have been the shoulder.

However if the other fighter was warned then I don't get it. You get warned for an illegal strike then win the fight because of it? Isn't that encouraging fighters to pull illegal shit?

Rogan: Talk us through this Mickey's replay!

Cro Cop: . . . .

Rogan: Did you expect Sanchez to backpedal so much?

Quoted off memory but definitely had our group laughing.

Not a bad ppv but not a great one. I know it's Couture in the ME in Columbus, but I just can not get excited for a fight that Tim Sylvia is in. Though I'm looking forward to seeing The Athlete choke out Ace.

Halverson was pretty sad. The dude is old and hasn't been fighting for long. Still I'd like to know if he really got hit in the head. When we went over backwards he seemed to be pretty ok then just flattened and crumbled after the knee. Hard to say where it hit him, could have been on the neck or lower side of the face, or could have been the shoulder.

However if the other fighter was warned then I don't get it. You get warned for an illegal strike then win the fight because of it? Isn't that encouraging fighters to pull illegal shit?

You didn't see that last replay? It was clearly in the shoulder. You could even see Halverson think about it for a second and then decide to just flatten out. The ref only told Huerta to watch the knee. That dumb bitch got what he deserved. I'm glad Huerta stood up for himself and calmly explained the situation in the post fight interview.

I missed the ME only because it was cold outside of Hooters where we were stuck because of the wait. Mirko was amazing and will be a huge star for UFC. Also I saw Tommy Lee at Hooters and thought about starting a Hepatitis chant.

I thought the first two fights really sucked, but Rampage looked like a beast so I'll give him another shot to murder someone. Cro Crop Will Kill You. Good debut. Yes, Sanchez never stood a chance. And the Cereal Killer goes out of the spotlight because UFC's gotta be fucking pissed with him hurting buyrates a bit, so bring on the next PPV, good show, the right fighters I wanted to see win went "over", so I'll keep watching.

Some random comments off of memory

Smith scoring dick points by assuming the Crane Kick stance after Cote did nothing after rocking him was hilarious. They both looked like they really didn't want to put any real effort into the fight and it was a boring match because of that. For once the booing was completely justified.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman

No powerbomb of death, but Jackson sold himself very well to the fans with his charisma. The right kind of match to put on after the shit opener as both were very aggressive. The impatient Vegas crowd is starting to piss me off by booing any sort of perceived inactivity.

Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic vs Eddie Sanchez

HOLY SHIT PRIDE THEME! Eddie Sanchez looked rightfully scared out of his wits. He did his best not to die a swift death and survived far longer than anybody expected, which I guess could be a moral victory. The sound of Cro Cop's kick is like the sound of a car door slamming. Ye gods. Mirko's no nonsense demeanor and brutality of his striking throughout the match sold him as the living, breathing incarnation of Ivan Drago they built him up to be. His rundown "promo" during the replay simply consisting of heavy breathing solidified that. Mirko vs Couture/Sylvia is going to be an interesting fight.

Anderson Silva vs Travis Lutter

Lutter's UFC career is done. Not only does he lose the chance to win a belt before the match begins, he loses via submission to the striker in a supposed striker vs submission battle. That's the sort of thing that gets you blackballed from a company. Silva's up kick from the ground leading to the triangle attempt was pretty sick. It's a shame that Silva can't speak English because he has great charisma that gets lost through his translator.

Tyson Griffin vs Frank Edgar

Fight of the Night. No joke. This was a terrific fight to watch. We dubbed him "The American Kazuyuki Fujita" because of his stocky build and how he just kept coming back after Edgar had him in trouble on several occasions (especially the low blow that should have at least stopped the action momentarily). I first I was annoyed by Griffin using "Eye of the Tiger" for his intro, but he earned it with the match he put on. Both guys had awesome sprawl ability and it made for an exciting fight. The rolling kneebar by Griffin was a spectacular counter and almost won it for him, but Edgar showed balls by somehow surviving it to go to the scorecards. Based on this match alone, I wouldn't mind a return bout on the main card in the future.

I heard later that there was another match shown but I had to leave after Griffin-Edgar.

The PPV was well worth the drive and cover charge. Smith-Cote put on an terrible opener, but Rampage and Cro Cop delivered entertainment and looked like the superstars they were billed as, and the night was capped of with an awesome bonus fight.

My PPV provider over here carried this show on short notice, I only found out about it yesterday and ordered it right away. Hopefully they carry more this year.

Smith-Cote was pretty painful to watch, but was easily made up for by the amazing Griffin-Edgar fight. I'd never seen Cro Cop in action before today and I'd say he's my new favourite HW fighter. Has he ever fought Arlovski before? Rampage looked unsettled at first but then dominated. Really looking forward to him challenging Chuck.

Oh, and fuck Lutter. Not being able to cut 2 pounds and make weight for a title shot with the amount of buildup he had is a fucking joke and he deserved to be made to look like an ass.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/ufc/vide...cvseddiesanchez

Cro Cop's fight on Dailymotion.

He looked good, not an amazing knockout like people thought would happen, but a smart fight with some very clean strikes. I loved it when the crowd would pop every time he threw a kick

I missed the ppv, none of the outcomes were suprising though

Hopefully Edgar not tapping out to Griffin's rolling kneebar was worth it because even though he won the fight his leg is probably going to need surgery to fix all of the tendons that got torn to shit.

benn- No, Cro-Cop and Arlovski have never danced before. It's being looked at as a potential #1 Contenders fight down the road, depending on who wins Couture/Sylvia.

From Joe Rogan:

"Anderson Silva had knee surgery on both knees just 11 weeks ago. That was why he was so easy to take down, and that was why he couldn't squeeze 100% when he had Lutter in the triangle. I ran into his manager after the show and he told me the whole deal. His knees were still very sore. Later that night I ran into Anderson in the hotel, and he was limping like he was just double knee barred.

Crazy shit. If Travis ever had a chance, last night was it. Great fight, either way."

I know Edgar won the fight but the fight should've been stopped when his knee popped TWICE. Between the groin shot and letting it go on after the kneebar it was clearly established that Steve Mazzagatti is a fucking horrible ref. I'll likely yell a drunken insult at him at the TKO show this week if he's reffing it.

Finally got around to watching the afterfights.

1) That kneebar was sick - hope it was worth it for him.

2) Jorge got knocked the fuck out. 14 seconds? Thanks for showing up.

From Joe Rogan:

"Anderson Silva had knee surgery on both knees just 11 weeks ago. That was why he was so easy to take down, and that was why he couldn't squeeze 100% when he had Lutter in the triangle. I ran into his manager after the show and he told me the whole deal. His knees were still very sore. Later that night I ran into Anderson in the hotel, and he was limping like he was just double knee barred.

Crazy shit. If Travis ever had a chance, last night was it. Great fight, either way."

I thought it was because Anderson Silva had subpar takedown defense. It's pretty funny seeing all these rubes on other boards freaking out because Silva got taken down and mounted like it was some huge surprise or something. Thankfully, people here are a little more sensible.

Halverston is a bitch. Right after Huerta hits the knee and Lavinge tells him "Watch the knee" he immediately goes limp, clearly hoping that the fight would've been stopped. I doubt there was even 50% contact with the head, majority of the blow landed on the shoulder.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Meltzer is such a fucking tool, btw.

"Cro Cop came out to the Pride theme song. The fact he's doing that in some form may be a hint to what will be the biggest news story in this industry of 2007. Live it didn't appear anyone understood the significance of that."

Yeah, Dave, we know. UFC wants to buy PRIDE. You're not breaking any new ground here.

"Cro Cop came out to the Pride theme song. The fact he's doing that in some form may be a hint to what will be the biggest news story in this industry of 2007. Live it didn't appear anyone understood the significance of that."

Yeah, Dave, we know. UFC wants to buy PRIDE. You're not breaking any new ground here.

Tell that to the morons on other boards, who are convinced that Pride is in great shape, and that getting a Korean TV deal is just as good as getting a Japanese one.

HOLY SHIT PRIDE THEME!

I miss Eiko Koike saying "And the winner is MirKO Crooooo-COP!"

I don't think Eiko Koike speaks English. You're probably thinking of the crazy old white lady that always screams the fighters' names.

Eiko Koike:

7.jpg

Lenne Hardt (crazy old white lady):

Lenne_Hardt.jpg

From Joe Rogan:

I thought it was because Anderson Silva had subpar takedown defense. It's pretty funny seeing all these rubes on other boards freaking out because Silva got taken down and mounted like it was some huge surprise or something. Thankfully, people here are a little more sensible.

Anderson basically showed everything we already knew about him on the ground: a tight body triangle, a nigh-unfinishable triangle choke, and not much else.

Edgar completely caught me off guard. I knew he was a great wrestler coming in, but I had no clue his positioning skills and punching were as well developed as they are, and figured Tyson would find a way to submit him by the second rough. Also, definitely the early leader for FOTY.

HOLY SHIT PRIDE THEME!

I miss Eiko Koike saying "And the winner is MirKO Crooooo-COP!"

I don't think Eiko Koike speaks English. You're probably thinking of the crazy old white lady that always screams the fighters' names.

Eiko Koike:

7.jpg

Lenne Hardt (crazy old white lady):

Lenne_Hardt.jpg

I'll just imagine that it was one of the ring girls doing the announcing....I love J-pop idols.

- While the UFC hopes to visit Canada soon, sadly Canadian fans may not get to see Jackson. He acknowledged Saturday that he cannot get into Canada, the result of a run-in with the law nine years ago as a student - Jackson did not detail the offence but said he was just defending himself.

Read this on something posted on another board.

- While the UFC hopes to visit Canada soon, sadly Canadian fans may not get to see Jackson. He acknowledged Saturday that he cannot get into Canada, the result of a run-in with the law nine years ago as a student - Jackson did not detail the offence but said he was just defending himself.

Read this on something posted on another board.

If various of Gangsta Rappers with law sheets much larger then Page's can get into Canada, I'm sure Page will be fine.

Also apparently Anderson Silva had knee surgey 11 weeks prior to the fight, which would explain why his TD defense looked like ass, and he wasn't able to finish the triangle.

Also apparently Anderson Silva had knee surgey 11 weeks prior to the fight, which would explain why his TD defense looked like ass, and he wasn't able to finish the triangle.

But he's never finished that triangle in his career.