TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

Super Bowl XLI

The Colts were easily the better team on both sides of the ball, except for special teams.

There is no argument in regards to this, but the Bears only trailed by 5 in the 4th quarter with PLENTY of time until Grossman threw the pick for a touchdown (and forget the fact that he made no effort to actually stop the guy from running it back). His two snapped fumbles cleanly went into his hands from the replays (ie, not an exchange problem by the center) and his two successive self-sacks when the Bears were 2nd and 1 at their 40 or 45 in the third quarter killed them... and their defense further. The Bears D (and in particular Lovie) did themeselves no favors, of course, by playing so far off, but Grossman showed he could not move the Bears at all...they went almost two full quarters without a first down!

Time of possession...

Indy: 38:04

Bears: 21:56

Third-down conversions...

Indy: 8-18 (44%)

Chicago: 3-10 (30%)

Fumbles (lost)

Indy: 2 (2)

Chicago: 4 (3)

Maybe all of you weren't actually tuning into the game, but the Colts "offensive juggernaut" performance was nothing more than the Bears fucking up on every offensive possession. Grossman deserves to take shit from the media - who can he pass it off on? Every time he blew a play on third down, or made a stupid turnover, he would just jog off the field with a nonchalant attitude. He could've proven all of the critics wrong with even a decent performance.

Basically, the Colts played a steady game. Even the best defenses in the league will be worn down by clock-eating plays and a downhill offensive attack.

I have to agree with Naiwf.

Causing four turnovers is stellar and should win you games, but they left lots of receivers wide open, and only to sack Manning once in the entire game. Very non-bears like.

I just have to say that I should have stuck to my earlier prediction of the Bears just making the Super Bowl.

Rex will be back, and will be one of the top QBs in the league within 3 years. Guy just has all the wrong types of people fucking with him and he's a young idiot. He'll grow out of that.

Glad to see Dungy finally get that ring.

Guest Oedipus Rex

McNabb would be a real coup for the Bears, but there's no way Philly boots him for Jeff Garcia.

Guest Macula

Because McNabb has never looked like he's been caught in the headlights. Especially in a big game.

That said, no, Philly isn't dumping #5 for Garcia.

Gotta agree with Leena about Grossman not being that bad. Both picks could have been caught by the receivers. The Sanders pick was more a result of Sanders great play by leaping over the top of Berrian who really should have been aware that Sanders was in his presence and would make a play on the ball. The pick 6, Muhammed was running back and looked like he was about to fall when the ball got there. Both plays the receivers could have at least tried to stop the Colt's players getting the ball. I have no clue how Manning got the MVP. Rhodes & Addai put on monster performances and they were the reasons that the Colt's won.

Eh, I wouldn't say they were catchable for the receivers, both the INTs were 50-50 because the ball was up in the air for a long time.

The game was decent. It was great to see Manning, Dungy, Harrison, and the rest of the Colts win. Grossman choked. Nantz and Sims are the shits.

Prince was great. And my SuperBowl Sunday cooking was great.

The commercials sucked. Big time suckage. I don't remember even seeing a movie commercial of interest.

I had enough time during the second Rex pick's trip downfield to say "oh no, that pass looks horrible." I can't remember which dude said it, but on ESPN it was remarked that he was throwing out of a well all game long. I agree, because even when he was able to wrangle in a snap his delivery on anything longer than a dump-off pass looked even worse than usual because he was surrounded by his own collapsing pocket. Dude needs to change his throwing motion but quick. He also could have converted one third down with his feet (the one where he had to run one way and then another before escaping the pocket) thanks to that side of the field being cleared out, but nope. I think he was scared, to be honest.

That was my 2nd favourite Super Bowl ever, after 31. Blue Moon and the Bears losing while I was in a house full of Bears fans (and one other Packers fan). I love watching others suffer. In that respect, I am like the rest of this board.

I feel badly for Czech, though. he's a good guy and deserved better than this.

grossman didn't play that bad? are we serious? the defense caused turnovers. grossman kept losing the ball. luckily the one he recovered he lost a solid 10 yards. on the other he lost, he KILLED any momentum that the bears could've built from it. the interceptions? all horrible passes. i feel i am doing those throws a disserevice by calling them passes. they were lobs. they looked like punts. thirdly, he played a scared game. he always reverted to little dump passes. when they needed 10 yards on thirs down he'd dump the ball off to the flats were defenders were waiting to stop the play dead. and they did.

and the bears defense, while not as stingy as the colts, is absolutely not to blame. they contained the colts all game. gave up ONE big play all game. either than that, they stopped them when they needed. they kept the bears in the game until the middle of the 4th quarter. they kept a team with less than 100 offensive yards in the game until the middle of the fourth quarter. boy, sure sounds like they let their team down.

The commercials sucked. Big time suckage. I don't remember even seeing a movie commercial of interest.

I thought all the Bud Light commercials were good. And I laughed at the Nationwide ad with K-Fed.

I thought all the Bud Light commercials were good. And I laughed at the Nationwide ad with K-Fed.

I like the bud light commercials as well. The rock paper scissors one was quite funny.

that Snickers commercial was a tad icky.

I liked the Coke one that was patterned after a GTA game except the main character was doing acts of kindness rather than violence.

Guest Princess Leena

I also thought the Coke GTA commercial was cute.

Nothing else stuck out to me.

The Bear defense isn't the main reason they lost, but try getting some stops on 3rd down. Grossman turning it over isn't the only reason as to why they barely had the ball.

it's hard to make defensive stops when you're on the field 17 more minutes (or whatever it ended up being) than the other guys. Hell, the Colts had the ball for the FIRST EIGHT MINUTES of the 2nd half...that's just insane. Can the offense help out just a little, please?

I liked the Coke one that was patterned after a GTA game except the main character was doing acts of kindness rather than violence.

That was the commercial that came the closest to not sucking.

My husband liked the godaddy.com commercial but I'm guessing that's because it had women with big tits stuffed into tight shirts.

it's hard to make defensive stops when you're on the field 17 more minutes (or whatever it ended up being) than the other guys. Hell, the Colts had the ball for the FIRST EIGHT MINUTES of the 2nd half...that's just insane. Can the offense help out just a little, please?

They were there for eight minutes because the defense couldn't make the stop. The Colts started off with the ball. The Bear offense had nothing to do with the Bear defense being on the field eight minutes to start off the half.

That was just an example of the ball control, I know good and well the offense had nothing to do with it...Rex fumbling 3 snaps and tossing 2 picks is going to kill your defense. The majority of the blame goes on him and his poor mechanics and decision making.

Guest Oedipus Rex

You just reminded me of something, Lushus. It'll be seven months until I have to ask myself "did he say ball control or bowel control?" again.

Gotta agree with Leena about Grossman not being that bad. Both picks could have been caught by the receivers.

What game were YOU watching?

The first ball was forced into double coverage and was a wobbler. The entire group I was watching the game with muttered some variation of "that's a pick" the second he released the ball for the Sanders interception. It wasn't even a good play by Sanders; Berrian was running past the coverage, and Grossman hurled a punt. It was reminiscent of when Bubby Brister used to quarterback the Steelers.

What a wretched game. The first quarter had it shaping up to be an exciting, anything-can-happen type of game, but it turned into one of the biggest snoozefests this side of Oak-TB. Grossman was pathetic. How do you fumble two snaps in the biggest game of your life? I mean, really! It's not that hard to receive the ball from center; even I can do it. Even in the rain. Not that hard.