TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

OAO ECW Tuesday January 30th

Van Dam jobbed, Punk jobbed, Test got buried again vs. Lashley, and the ECW Originals are an endangered species. You know, the usual.

I disagree to some extent about RVD. I remember what happened with Taz near the end in ECW, where he jobbed the title and spent the next 3 months jobbing out to everyone. I don't think his career ever really recovered from it.

Van Dam jobbed, Punk jobbed, Test got buried again vs. Lashley, and the ECW Originals are an endangered species. You know, the usual.

I disagree to some extent about RVD. I remember what happened with Taz near the end in ECW, where he jobbed the title and spent the next 3 months jobbing out to everyone. I don't think his career ever really recovered from it.

Actually, Taz was booked pretty strong early in WWE, beating Angle and when he briefly won back the ECW title and challenged HHH. But the main problem with Taz in WWE of course is that no one could take him as a serious bad ass since he looked SO small next WWE wrestlers. You could cover that up in ECW but no way to do that in WWE (it's not like he's a high flyer like Mysterio), especially when his main move is a series of suplexes, which he can't do on guys like the Big Show/Kane, hell even with HHH it was difficult.

RVD is 36 now, and is long past his peak, any benefit he would be to competition would be in name value only, as he's not even half the worker he used to be. Vince is just going to throw a bunch of money his way in an effort to resign him, and RVD will in all likelyhood accept it.

Well, at least eh got to be WWE and ECW Champion for a few weeks.

Man, marijuana should just be legalized... for the sake of those of us who use it responsibly, to free up space in prison for real criminals, and for the sake of ECW.

Well, at least eh got to be WWE and ECW Champion for a few weeks.

Man, marijuana should just be legalized... for the sake of those of us who use it responsibly, to free up space in prison for real criminals, and for the sake of ECW.

Well, at least he got to be WWE and ECW Champion for a few weeks.

Saw the show, became really really intresting to me...

CM Punk vs Matt Striker: Punk lost again, okie dokie, here's the main problem with Punk loosing to Striker. For some reason Striker is all of a sudden getting a push and is now being pushed as an actual mid-card heel who can win, but here's the issue, before the Punk feud, Striker was pretty much jobber who got mic time and you can't go to that to mid-card heel by pitting him against a guy who WAS pushed as a dominant wrestler.

This match did nothing for Striker, the only thing it did was give Punk another loss in the past month. Now I'm not going to freak out and complain about Punk loosing, because when a wrestler losses, I really don't give that much of a damn unless they are actually getting buried when they shouldn't be. Now I know some of you are saying "Oh Punk is being buried now because Striker beat him!", but to be honest, if the Striker/Punk feud is going to continue Striker should get a dirty win over Punk weather you like it or not, its true, it helps keep the story keep going.

RVD vs Holly: Good match and again I see people complaining about RVD loosing here as well. We all know RVD SHOULDN'T be loosing, we all know that, but for us to get mad when we all know the reason why he's loosing is pointless and to complain about it is even more is pointless.

So lets take a look what happen here, RVD and Holly have a good match, RVD does control most of the match but Holly does get the win. Now the rumor floating around is that at Wrestlemania, it might be Lashley vs Holly for the ECW title. So what do you do here? You start building a new #1 contender in Bob Holly if the rumor is indeed true and having him beat RVD is a way to help estblish Holly as a contender for the ECW title. Now was RVD vs Holly a squash? No, it wasn't. Was RVD buried in this match? No, he wasn't, they both looked good as Holly and RVD both have good matches together. So to sit here and complain "Oh RVD looses to Hardcore Holly, Fuck Vince!" after both RVD and Holly had a good match, is dumb.

Vince McMahon promo: So we took out Paul Heyman, and had Vince take his place....ok, it could work and actually makes more sense having Vince do it instead of Heyman. Could this lead to a Heyman return, I HIGHLY doubt it, but I like where this is going already.

Test vs Lashley: Ok Lashley has destoryed Test 3 times in one week, Test has been completely buried now as a #1 contender for the ECW title. Lets move along already.

Wow.

Just wow.

There's the reason I watcdh wrestling once every two weeks. Just BAD.

I you're going to bury punk and RVD for Striker and Holly, just ax the show, seriously. Just do away with it. I did not catch the Saby thing, tho. He basically called him Al Qaeda?

CM Punk vs Matt Striker: Punk lost again, okie dokie, here's the main problem with Punk loosing to Striker. For some reason Striker is all of a sudden getting a push and is now being pushed as an actual mid-card heel who can win, but here's the issue, before the Punk feud, Striker was pretty much jobber who got mic time and you can't go to that to mid-card heel by pitting him against a guy who WAS pushed as a dominant wrestler.

This match did nothing for Striker, the only thing it did was give Punk another loss in the past month. Now I'm not going to freak out and complain about Punk loosing, because when a wrestler losses, I really don't give that much of a damn unless they are actually getting buried when they shouldn't be. Now I know some of you are saying "Oh Punk is being buried now because Striker beat him!", but to be honest, if the Striker/Punk feud is going to continue Striker should get a dirty win over Punk weather you like it or not, its true, it helps keep the story keep going.

Finally somebody gets the damn feud. People are all like "OMG CM PUNK IS TEH BURY LOL" but not only is CM Punk over, and the announcers put him over (he lasted the longest in the RR and they made a nod to that), Striker had to beat him by cheating. It shows that Striker can't win clean over Punk. Would you rather have him still have his winning streak? It kills the credibility of the feud. By Striker winning dirty over Punk it keeps the feud alive. Maybe Punk can beat him in an Extreme Rules blow-off match.

The issue is not that Punk lost, at least not entirely.

A lot of it is this: the cheating with the ropes shit (or heaven forbid the tights) is just silly nonsense at this point. For christ's sake it just looks weak. He got a dominating pin because one hand was stretched out and grabbing ropes? Come on.

I have nothing against heels cheating to win, thats their thing. But you've got to be more creative than this. It's called going through the motions, and it's really, really apparent. You only have to lay out like twenty minutes of wrestling a week, only two or three finishes a week, and you can't do something better than this!?

The heel using the ropes or tights to win is getting really overdone by WWE at this point. It would be OK if one heel was doing it consistently (like Kenny Dykstra, for example), but when every heel is doing it, it shows that the bookers aren't creative enough to come up with something new. Doesn't anyone have a roll of masking tape in the back to make some "brass knux" or something?

I don't see where this "Vince hates the Originals" is going. They kind of built Elijah up with the segment, but then he got his ass kicked by the four guys Vince had just buried on the mic. I don't get it.

Didn't mind RVD jobbing...but to Bob Holly? Does anyone really think people are going to buy Holly in the main event against Lashley?

It's not just the concept, it's the execution.

It looks like shit the way it was done last night, and every time the tights are used.

I think it's time to do some kind of intervention for this ECW. Stop this show before it sucks again. After tonight I have to ask the question once more: Why doesn't RVD simply feign an injury and sit out the rest of his contract? Cause a few more months of this constant jobbing and he won't be worth a damn to any promotion. Not TNA if he goes there, not ECW or WWE if he signs a new deal.

When it became apparent that Jericho was out the door of WCW at the first opportunity he got, they started jobbing him left and right, and it certainly didn't hurt him one bit before coming to WWE. He had one of the most successful debuts of anybody I can ever remember. If people know WHY you're jobbing all the time (i.e., you're leaving the company), nobody takes those losses seriously.

Would you rather have him still have his winning streak?

Yes

Also, I realize RVD has been devalued over and over. But Bob Holly, who FUCKING SUCKS, and has never drawn a single dime, beat him clean. At this point RVD is so ruined, and yet is still over, at least he could have a mid-card feud and build someone up. Bob Holly? BOB HOLLY?

Ladies and gentlemen...hats off your heads and onto your hearts...ECW is on life-support and Mr. McMahon is about to pull the plug. That's where this is headed with the originals getting shafted, jobbed out, or de-pushed. If Vince fired Hulk Hogan, there's no way that Balls, Dreamer, RVD, Sandman, or Sabu are going over on him.

This isn't ECW, it's a WWE show on Tuesday nights so I'm not getting worked up over it any longer.

I don't mind where Punk is right now because I'd rather him stay away from the main event while Lashley, Holly and Test stink it up. For all I care they can let Holly win the "Big One" after 15 long years at WM.

I'd much rather see CM Punk wrestle RVD in a #1 contenders match (and be put over) or mix it up with a bunch of other hard working guys in a "MITB" match at WM.

My main problem is that we are seeing the same matches over and over again and they aren't building to anything.

Striker vs. Punk

RVD vs. Holly

Test vs. Lashley

These three matches have been part of the show at least every other week for the past two months, and nothing seems to get accomplished at the conclusion of the match. It's almost like a radio station holiday where they just play yesterday's play-list on auto-pilot. Rvd/Holly and Striker/Punk usually have good, entertaining matches with each other, however nothing is advancing when they have their matches.

If they are going to have these same matches over and over and over again, they need to include SOME TYPE of storyline and/or reason for it.

I know the roster is small, but it isn't THIS SMALL, and even so, there are plenty of disposable people on RAW/Smackdown that could use the exposure on WWECW to get themselves over.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22683&p=1

DEBUT RATING FOR MTV WRESTLING SOCIETY X & MORE

by Mike Johnson @ 5:20:00 PM on 1/31/2007

The debut of MTV's Wrestling Society X last night scored a 1.0 rating. I haven't yet heard the audience share. That's a really impressive debut rating, especially considering it was running up against the second half of ECW on SciFi (which usually does around 1.5).

In my opinion, WSX should send Vince McMahon flowers because the way he trash talked the original ECW and its fans likely only helped WSX's cause, specificially since it featured several former ECW regulars, tables, ladders, crazy highspots, explosions, etc., all things that would in theory attract former ECW fans that WWE doesn't provide for with their "revitalized" version of the company.

Jack Evans will be appearing tonight to discuss WSX on www.InYourHeadOnline.com.

The first edition of WSXtra is online now at www.WSX.MTV.com. Our own Richard Trionfo has his report up here on the main page of PWInsider.com.

The issue is not that Punk lost, at least not entirely.

A lot of it is this: the cheating with the ropes shit (or heaven forbid the tights) is just silly nonsense at this point. For christ's sake it just looks weak. He got a dominating pin because one hand was stretched out and grabbing ropes? Come on.

I have nothing against heels cheating to win, thats their thing. But you've got to be more creative than this. It's called going through the motions, and it's really, really apparent. You only have to lay out like twenty minutes of wrestling a week, only two or three finishes a week, and you can't do something better than this!?

Everyone still does the "holding the tights" or the "holding onto the ropes" happens everywhere all the time. So to blame it on "ohhh its a weak finish" just remember EVERYONE does it.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22683&p=1

DEBUT RATING FOR MTV WRESTLING SOCIETY X & MORE

by Mike Johnson @ 5:20:00 PM on 1/31/2007

The debut of MTV's Wrestling Society X last night scored a 1.0 rating. I haven't yet heard the audience share. That's a really impressive debut rating, especially considering it was running up against the second half of ECW on SciFi (which usually does around 1.5).

In my opinion, WSX should send Vince McMahon flowers because the way he trash talked the original ECW and its fans likely only helped WSX's cause, specificially since it featured several former ECW regulars, tables, ladders, crazy highspots, explosions, etc., all things that would in theory attract former ECW fans that WWE doesn't provide for with their "revitalized" version of the company.

Jack Evans will be appearing tonight to discuss WSX on www.InYourHeadOnline.com.

The first edition of WSXtra is online now at www.WSX.MTV.com. Our own Richard Trionfo has his report up here on the main page of PWInsider.com.

you know what the awful thing is? apart from the play by play, it's not that bad.

That, and they are using Justin Credible's original entrance music. I'm a mark for this already. VAMPIRO???? Fuck.

Finally somebody gets the damn feud. People are all like "OMG CM PUNK IS TEH BURY LOL" but not only is CM Punk over, and the announcers put him over (he lasted the longest in the RR and they made a nod to that), Striker had to beat him by cheating. It shows that Striker can't win clean over Punk. Would you rather have him still have his winning streak? It kills the credibility of the feud. By Striker winning dirty over Punk it keeps the feud alive. Maybe Punk can beat him in an Extreme Rules blow-off match.

Not with this again. Just like "nobody got" the Punk - Hardcore Holly feud which ended with CM Punk jobbing clean? I am taking the Missouri approach from now on and will only admit I am wrong after the fact.

Not with this again. Just like "nobody got" the Punk - Hardcore Holly feud which ended with CM Punk jobbing clean? I am taking the Missouri approach from now on and will only admit I am wrong after the fact.

You got me on that one, I thought the feud was going to continue, I'm really surprised it just ended right after that match but I'm not thinking the same thing will happen here with Striker vs Punk as it'd be really REALLY weird if the feud just ended after Striker cheated to win the match.

WWE's ECW is the wrestling equivalent of Michael Bay buying the rights to Evil Dead. Take a cult classic, drop what made it both "cult" and "classic," throw in hackneyed shit that's way over done, and VOILA!

I mean, I agree with what NoCalMike said a few pages ago. No, it was never going to be the original ECW. But even in the summer, while nowhere near the original, it was a decent way to spend an hour of television. What's being presented now, however, I can't even tune into.

See, I don't really recall Jericho jobbing constantly late in his WCW run. I recall maybe a beating Steiner put on him at the Panama City Nitro at the beach, but that's about it. He was hurt for a while as well, so he seemed to have been off TV for a decent amount of time when he debuted in the WWF.

Van Dam? The poor guy will likely be jobbed for months on end and then show up the next week on TNA. As far as him being at his peak, perhaps he can't hit stuff like the Van Terminator anymore, but his efforts over the past year show that he can still get it done.

Hell, who wouldn't enjoy seeing Angle try and take liberties with RVD in the ring, and then Rob breaks his nose with a kick to the face?

WWE's ECW is the wrestling equivalent of Michael Bay buying the rights to Evil Dead. Take a cult classic, drop what made it both "cult" and "classic," throw in hackneyed shit that's way over done, and VOILA!

I mean, I agree with what NoCalMike said a few pages ago. No, it was never going to be the original ECW. But even in the summer, while nowhere near the original, it was a decent way to spend an hour of television. What's being presented now, however, I can't even tune into.

I can see something like Michael Bay having Nick Cage playing the part of Ash because Bruce Campbell did not meet his vision of the new Evil Dead.