TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread

It's the logical choice really. They're not going anywhere in the playoffs assuming they even make it. The team is built to win in 2-3 years, not now, so there's no point in keeping a highly sought after trade asset when he could be flipped for some high-end prospects/young players. On the other hand, Tucker should be kept because he probably has more good years left in him than Sundin. With that being said, I sincerely doubt Sundin will be moved.

It's the logical choice really. They're not going anywhere in the playoffs assuming they even make it. The team is built to win in 2-3 years, not now, so there's no point in keeping a highly sought after trade asset when he could be flipped for some high-end prospects/young players. On the other hand, Tucker should be kept because he probably has more good years left in him than Sundin. With that being said, I sincerely doubt Sundin will be moved.

I doubt Tucker will stay in Toronto depending on how February turns out. There's a lot of teams that are looking for someone who can score on the PP.

The Bruins traded Milan Jurcina for a fourth round pick.

Limited NHL experience, good size, great point shot, developing his skating ability, shipped off for junk...sounds a lot like Shaone Morrisonn.

Best of luck to Jurcina. I have a feeling he's going to develop into something special.

How long will Forsberg continue to play? Ever year some part of his body stops working. He'll probably end in Colorado because of the nostagilia factor. Plus if Joe Sakic retires two seasons from now, he can be captain.

Edit: Well the Thrashers are playoff contenders. I wonder what the relationship between Forsberg and Hartley is like.

Yeah, I laughed too - at the Sens fans, especially after Sundin scored on Emery and gave him an earful (Emery knocked Mats' helmet off earlier), and then scored again in the shootout.

Seriously though, it was a good two periods for the Leafs last night, especially the 2nd.

Bruins continue the...well, I wouldn't call it a firesale, so we'll say...lit match-sale.

Kris Versteeg/conditional pick for Brandon Bochenski. Can't say I'm thrilled at this, considering that they could have had Bochenski for nothing not too long ago when Chicago put him on waivers. Versteeg was leading Providence in scoring prior to the trade (>1ppg too).

But at least Bochenski fills a need![/sarcasm]

Hey look at that, Montreal won a game.

And in that game, Montreal finally got a powerplay. The opposition had 60 straight powerplays against Montreal until tonight.

To follow up on that:

The Los Angeles Kings have traded centre Sean Avery and prospect John Seymour to the New York Rangers for right winger Jason Ward along with prospects Marc-Andre Cliche and Jan Marek.

Avery, 26, has established a reputation as a contentious player with controversial statements and a league penalty minute crown part of his package.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound pivot has toned down his act this season and is on pace for his most productive season. Through 55 games, Avery has 10 goals, 28 points, 116 penalty minutes and is minus-10.

Last season, Avery scored 39 points and led the NHL with 257 penalty minutes. He has 114 points and 855 penalty minutes in 293 career NHL games.

Avery will be a restricted free agent this summer.

Ward, 27, is a 6-foot-3, 195-pound checking winger, who has 10 points in 46 games with the Rangers this season.

Cliche, who played for Canada's gold medal-winning entry at the World Junior Hockey Tournament was a second-round pick of the Rangers in 2005. Playing for Lewiston of the QMJHL, he has 36 points in 35 games this season.

Marek is a 27 year-old forward who is the leading scorer, with 43 points in 42 games, for Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Russian Super League.

Seymour was drafted in the 7th-round by Los Angeles in 2005 and has six points and 29 penalty minutes in 34 games with the Brampton Battalion of the OHL.

It's pronounced "cleesh", but you can take it to the bank that announcers won't be pronouncing it that way.

Damn...

I was hoping they'd use him as trade bait or something.

They probably still will, assuming he clears waivers, which he should. TSN has a rumour of him and Rivet going to Chicago for Aucoin and Smolinski.

Guest Princess Leena

Ugh, the boring Devils are only 1 1/2 games behind the Sabres for 1st in the conference now. No.

Damn...

They probably still will, assuming he clears waivers, which he should. TSN has a rumour of him and Rivet going to Chicago for Aucoin and Smolinski.

Replace Rivet with Dandenault or Boullion and I would be happy.

Rivet has too much locker room morale that I do not want him gone.

It's two days of love.

1582fwf9hu1.jpg

hpfan1019065oq9jp6.jpg

mascot2da5kh1.jpg

Valentine's Day is still a week away, but we have here in the NHL an early celebration of amour; the top two teams in the Pacific Division play each other twice in two days. It's a rivalry that left the Ducks limping away in victory at their last meeting. This series could play a big part in the playoff seeding for both teams. Why not root for both of them?

Teemu Selanne loves the Sharks. Nobody has scored more goals, or gained more points against San Jose than him. San Jose loves to look at the standings, and see that a sweep across these two games will put them into first place in the Pacific - something that appeared much more difficult in the first half of the season.

But, most importantly, I love these games. And you love reading these previews.

friendsvo6yh2ln3.jpg

Something else will become apparent across these two days. Something that will be showcased even more than these two teams: their arenas.

usca35078ot0bm3.jpg

262641070e58a335efcmvc6.jpg

These two arenas share more history than you might think. They both opened in 1993, and were originally named after their city - San Jose Arena, and Anaheim arena, respectively. They came to be known by fun names pertaining to their host team. Anaheim had the Pond, and San Jose the Shark Tank - nothing boring like Joe Louis Arena, whoever that is.

Unfortunately, like siblings succumbing chicken pox at the same time, both arenas have succumbed to corporate sponsorship. The generic Honda Center and dull, if slightly witty HP Pavilion are the new names of these arenas. Even though Anaheim's was sponsored by Arrowhead water, it was still the Pond. But the dream is not over. Memories of our fine aquatic venues still remain, like so many petals on a rose, a rose, perhaps, that would be fitting to give to a sweetheart.

In the meantime, while I gather up my courage, let's all celebrate these teams, and love doing so.

wow.

How stupid can you be.

You have no idea who Joe Louis is???

And really, no one cares about San Jose/Anaheim anymore.

Damn...

Replace Rivet with Dandenault or Boullion and I would be happy.

Rivet has too much locker room morale that I do not want him gone.

the hawks are not that stupid. are you kidding me?