TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EricMM

Yay or Nay...

Honestly, I could go either way on this one.

One part of me loves this flick

One part of me considers it to me schmaltzy dreck.

What do you think?

I'll have to go nay on it. Just couldn't relate to it, most John Hughes movies never seemed at all similar to my own HS experience. In the movie these kids constantly whined about hating their parents and all that. I never felt that way personally. Hate some other people at school? Sure. My parents? Not so much.

I think it's one of the best movies from the '80s but like most films (sci-fi and action might be the main exceptions) the more distance you put between it and the present, the lamer it seems.

nay, it's tries to hard to be realistic so people can relate to it, but at the end of the day, things don't quite work out the way they do in this movie. In High School, everyone is in their own clique or social group and that's that.

Honestly, I could go either way on this one.

One part of me loves this flick

One part of me considers it to me schmaltzy dreck.

What do you think?

You pretty much covered both sides of the argument for me there. There's a place for it in pop culture for certain, and there's no denying that it has many moments, but as naiwf said, it doesn't age well because of how things are different now than they were back then.

I like it. Parts of it are a little over the top (like where they get high and start dancing around and junk), but overall I think the acting is pretty good, given the actors' ages.

There was a time and place for it. It was a long time ago. But it was a yay back then. Now that I am an old man it really doesn't resonate with me anymore. But I could see it dropping like a bomb for a 14 year old.

I can't relate to it but I still like the movie. That movie gave Judd Nelson credibility to be a bad ass for about 15 minutes. Plus how can I not love a movie that has Johnny Smith trying to hit on Molly Ringwald every 10 minutes and failing miserably?

Poor Anthony Michael Hall, was always deemed the loser. Now he's one of the few of them still looking like an employed winner. For how long is a question but way to go Brian Ralph Johnson!

Kinda fitting, actually. In movies like this, wasn't one of the clichés that the nerdy kid was always the one who went on to be rich & famous?

Yay. It's an 80's high school comedy so I don't have much of a problem with not being able to relate to it in the present time. I mean my highschool experience was NOTHING like Fast Times at Ridgemont High(well except maybe the pot and fantasizing about hot chicks) but I still love the flick.

Nay.

I watched it for the first time all the way through last week. I thought it was a great movie until the ending. The "freak" gets her self done up and Emilo ends up liking her. I thought one of the points of the movie was that you weren't supposed to judge someone. But he only likes her because she is pretty. Stupid.

They should have just ended it with all of them leaving together or something.

Ally Sheedy is fucking SMOKIN' in this movie.

Agreed.

As for the film itself, I vote Yay for everthing other than Anthony Michael Hall getting stoned.

I vote Yay for everthing other than Anthony Michael Hall getting stoned.

if you watch Weird Science, AMH obviously has no idea that most people tend to act differently when stoned as opposed to when drunk.

There's only one 80's high school comedy worth your time.

630021429X.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Porky's called, and wants you to rescind that comment.

As for this, I love it, it's a favorite, but I fully admit to enjoying Sixteen Candles more.

Yay, verily. Of course, like it's been said before, it probably doesn't resonate with people unless they saw it when it came out. It's kinda like Caddyshack for me. All my friends loved this movie because they saw it in its proper time. I was never interested in it, and when I finally did see it, it didn't do it for me.

As for Emilio not liking Ally until her makeover, I think not. You could see he was interested in her way before that. Right after the "do you always carry this much shit in your bag" scene, he was seriously trying to connect with her. Being able to see her face was just an added bonus.

Paul_Gleason_Breakfast_Club.jpg

the only real reason to watch this movie...

Watch his mannerisms, his voice inflection, the way he carries himself around the kids and the way he treats them. It's a lot like the early Mr. McMahon character in the late 90s before he became the cartoon character he is today.