TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

My 1 Year Workout Results

Then apparently you have no idea how many calories such activities burn. Actually, it seems that you and Lushus know very little about how all this works in general. Now, that's not an insult, because I knew next to nothing before I started, but that's the impression you're giving.

Then apparently you have no idea how many calories such activities burn. Actually, it seems that you and Lushus know very little about how all this works in general. Now, that's not an insult, because I knew next to nothing before I started, but that's the impression you're giving.

I'm going to back up Matt Young on this one because it sounds like he has a very similar metabolism to mine. I couldn't even put on a pound of muscle until I practically gave up on cardio. No matter how much I ate or worked, I stayed the same weight, even while doing a minimal 15 minutes a day of cardio.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Hey look, another thread that makes me want to throttle Eric for being a know-it-all bitch.

Guest Queen Leelee

Hey look, another thread that makes me want to throttle Czech for being a know-it-all bitch.

well if that's what happens to YOU Matt, that's one thing...not the issue with me...you're not going to tone by chowing down the calories and then pumping iron, that's a scientific fact. I've been working out routinely since I was 13, i think I know a little bit about a little bit...you come back a year later and suddenly you're Joe Weider.

Guest Oedipus Rex
Hey look, another thread that makes me want to throttle Eric for being a know-it-all bitch.

How many does that make for you?

I don't know, Boon. You tell me.

well if that's what happens to YOU Matt, that's one thing...not the issue with me...you're not going to tone by chowing down the calories and then pumping iron, that's a scientific fact. I've been working out routinely since I was 13, i think I know a little bit about a little bit...you come back a year later and suddenly you're Joe Weider.

Man, in every thread I see you post in you are getting into it with another poster.

You doin' alright?

Okay, apparently we had a misunderstanding. What you said there is correct. My intent is to bulk more before cutting for summer, and I thought you were saying I could accomplish that by doing lots of cardio now.

holy shut ericmm is horrible. good for matt. why nitpick? besides his leg picture was quite amusing. i saw it in the other thread first, which onfused me, then saw it here, which made me laugh. hahahaha. just like that,

Man, in every thread I see you post in you are getting into it with another poster.

You doin' alright?

sorry, didn't mean to come across like that, I'm not trying to get in Matt's shit like that...apologies, don't mean to come across that way! Matt's a goofy muthafucka, but he knows he's my boy!

shut up Leena!!!

Guest Queen Leelee

Eric is right in this thread, though.

Cardio is only a positive for your body. Refusing to do so just so you can reach your goal weight and get muscles for sexxy hoes is questionable decision making.

I didn't read what Eric had to say in this thread, but he's been real antagonizing lately in LSD.

For all the fads and diets and scientific research and breakdowns and what have you regarding physical exercise, this much is true; if you take in more calories than you exert, than you will gain weight. That's simple math, and cardio is a healthy activity that you should not rule out. Just eat more. It's not like doing lots of cardio will end up causing you to lose muscle. The sole purpose of cardiovascular activity is not to burn fat either, it gives you a healthier heart which is important for any kind of physical exercise. It will only aid you.

It's not like doing lots of cardio will end up causing you to lose muscle.

Actually, it will. And that's coming from a long distance runner who has dabbled in strength training for about five years. I cannot put on any significant amount of muscle when my mileage is in the 30-40 miles per week range. The only time I have been able to get my bench press up to 225 was when I significantly cut my mileage back (under 30 miles per week). There definitely is an inverse relationship between significant cardiovascular exercise & significant muscle gain.

That being said, I would recommend a certain level of cardiovascular activity for everyone, even skinny fucks like Matt, if for nothing else than heart health & not losing your breath when you walk up the stairs.

My ratio of cardio to strength training is high (much more cardio) but I've found that this makes me feel good, and I am more inclined to being an endurance athlete than a hulking mass of muscle. Everyone's different, though.

Well you were running a ridiculous amount, where you were eating less than you exerted. You didn't lose muscle so much as you didn't put it on, the calories were burned and used for other purposes.

I'm saying if he does the opposite, eating more than he uses, it won't happen. Besides, nobody is telling him to run that much. That's going from the extreme of no cardio to wanting to be a long distance runner.

Is your sig written by somebody who is serious? It has to be sarcastic, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

cardio loses weight.

lifting adds weight.

matt may get buff, but he'll still be horribly out of shape. running for 7 minutes really does nothing. it may just warm up the body a bit. but for what matt is trying to accomplish, he's doing the right thing. but to achieve the optimum physical shape, cardio is the foundation. sprinkling in a bit of weight training with the cardio will allow a bit of muscle toning.

But his goal isn't to be healthier, it's to be bigger. Yeah, it's not a great goal in my opinion (sorry Matt), but it's what he's going for. It is counterproductive for someone who's trying to bulk up and has a superfast metabolism to do cardio. Some people simply can't keep weight on.

If he's trying to get bigger, why not get workouts from body builders? That is kinda what they do after all. Sure, if he wants to get in better shape health wise, yeah, modify an actual athlete's workout. But that obviously is not what he's going for.

Personally Matt, I think you should do cardio and keep up your routine. Also, do more core stuff. Sure, you won't get such a dramatic size difference as you're getting now, but you'll look better (I think at least) and be healthier. But if your only goal is mass, you're doing it right I guess.

EDIT: Oh, and random guy:

I don't know what you are doing exactly, but whatever it is it isn't working. When I put on weight my pecs developed very quickly doing a mix of pushups, butterflies and bench presses. It looks like you've never done a pushup in your life.

Don't be stupid. Yeah, he obviously needs to work on his chest a bit more, but just because *you* easily put on weight on your chest, doesn't mean skinny Matt will. You obviously have knowledge on this stuff, so you should know something like that.

:lol: where did all my haters come from and why now?

Anyways, I have previous testimony on finding bodybuilding to be stupid, in some wp thread.

People hitting the gym and avoiding cardio are as pointless to me as the chicks who hit the gym and avoid the weights. A combination is the best.