TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

School bans Myspace in school AND in home.

If you have a kid with a myspace account, check it every now and then, or create your own account and have them put you on their friends. That might require more parenting than some want to put into it. If you don't know enough about computers to do that then learn it or don't let them have internet. Too easy.

If you have a kid with a myspace account, check it every now and then, or create your own account and have them put you on their friends. That might require more parenting than some want to put into it. If you don't know enough about computers to do that then learn it or don't let them have internet. Too easy.

Fucking brilliant. Parents actually doing parenting. Who'd have thunk it. That 5 minutes of parenting a week might actually work and make a difference.

Fucking brilliant. Parents actually doing parenting. Who'd have thunk it. That 5 minutes of parenting a week might actually work and make a difference.

What, you mean the schools aren't supposed to be the ones raising the children???

What, you mean the schools aren't supposed to be the ones raising the children???

Its always more fun to blame someone else.

Blame the fuckin kids. If they are old enough to know how to use a computer and the internet yet they still put all their info online, even after hearing stories all over the news and their parents telling them not to do so, and they are stupid enough to go out and meet someone they've only talked to over myspace, they deserve whatever happens to them. It's called survival of the fittest.

Because invasion of a child's privacy is good parenting

Guess what? If you're under 18 and living at home, you don't have a right to privacy from your parents.

C-Bacon: The demented mind of a progressive liberal in action.

All human beings have the right to privacy, you dolt.

I do not believe children have the right to privacy from their parents. A parent has the right to know what their children are up to, whether at school or online. That is my perspective from a family and moral standpoint, but it's the same from a legal one as well.

Invader3K vs C-Bacon in a nutshell

ia3yp.jpg

Your kid meeting a sexual predator is even better!

Threads like this really make me glad C-Bacon will most likely never have children.

"The idea of a sexual predator is just a social construct imposed by parents to force their will on their offspring. If a child wants to have a sexual relationship with an adult, they should be allowed to. Parents do not have the right to tell their children how to use their own bodies. Now, excuse me while I whack off to some more Chomsky."

Guest Tzar Lysergic

How is being an informed parent that's a part of their child(ren)'s social circle an invasion of privacy?

For me, it's less about keeping them from communicating with strangers, they know better and they're not stupid or lonely, it's more about learning what might be going in their lives-party this weekend, some kid is going to get his ass whipped at school the next day, anything like that. Call me old but I also just want them to be respectful including to their friends or other people they know at school. I"ve not found anything too awful yet, just got them to stop cussing every other word because it might look cool, or whatever. Two are on a friends only system, the younger one doesn't have it yet no matter how much she complains. Those of you worried about the privacy, if the kid had drugs, a gun, stolen money or anything like that hid in a bedroom, would it be bad to look and find it because it was a privacy invasion? I bet parents of school shooters wish they'd been more nosey and I bet none of them ever thought their kids would be involved in something like that.

All human beings have the right to privacy, you dolt.

And i'm pretty sure i made it obvious that i'm not a liberal.

Since when do they have the right to privacy?

Privacy is a fundamental human right?

Parents should a have a healthy, non-coercive relationship with their kids. They can educate them about the dangers of online predators so that they can make informed decisions independently. Most kids who have healthy relationships with their parents will be less likely to keep secrets from them.

Privacy is recognized in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, human rights treaties and in most constitutions.

To argue against the rights to privacy is an argument that essentially favors totalitarianism.

Park the car at the side of the road
You should know
Times tide will smother you
And I will too
When you laugh about people who feel so
Very lonely
Their only desire is to die
Well, Im afraid
It doesnt make me smile
I wish I could laugh

But that joke isnt funny anymore
Its too close to home
And its too near the bone
Its too close to home
And its too near the bone
More than youll ever know ...

Kick them when they fall down
You kick them when they fall down

It was dark as I drove the point home
And on cold leather seats
Well, it suddenly struck me
I just might die with a smile on my
Face after all

Ive seen this happen in other peoples
Lives
And now its happening in mine

Lives

Lives

Lives
Oh ...

Lives
Oh ...
Happening in mine
Happening in mine
Happening in mine
Happening in mine

Lives
Oh ...
And now, now, now its happening in mine
(Ive seen this happen)
Happening in mine
Oh... now, now

Lives
Oh ...
(happen)
Happening in mine
Oh ...
Happening in mine
Happening in mine
Happening in mine

Lives
Oh ...
And now, now, now its happening in mine
Happening in mine
Mine, mine
Happening in mine

Privacy is recognized in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, human rights treaties and in most constitutions.

To argue against the rights to privacy is an argument that essentially favors totalitarianism.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights dictates against arbitrary intrusions, not all. Privacy is not a right guaranteed in our own constitution. It's a concept but it's not recognized by our country. Until it is, that is the rule under that we abide.

Unless a child is paying the electricity bill, internet bill and bought the computer, then they actually don't own any of the shit in the house, therefore, they aren't entitled to privacy in that case.

I guess you are also in favor to say a 14 year old bringing over their boy or girlfriend and closing the door to their room and the parents not being able to open the door, because they should respect their privacy.

The right to privacy is implied, but not stated out-right in the U.S. Constitution. The limits and bounds are pretty ambiguous. All rights have limits, though. I refuse to take this argument that children are just mini-adults with the same rights and ability to make decisions seriously, though. It is pretty self-evident that, as a whole, children are too immature to make informed decisions for themselves. That's why parents are held legally accountable for their actions and are given decision making-power over them until the age of 18.

Unless a child is paying the electricity bill, internet bill and bought the computer, then they actually don't own any of the shit in the house, therefore, they aren't entitled to privacy in that case.

Parents don't own their MySpace account, which last I checked, was free.

I guess you are also in favor to say a 14 year old bringing over their boy or girlfriend and closing the door to their room and the parents not being able to open the door, because they should respect their privacy.

That's essentially what privacy entails, yes.

One of the biggest problems of adolescence is sexual suppression by society. The teenage years are the time when sexual energy is at its height. Why should it be repressed?