TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 4/1 - 4/8

It seems like some pitchers that sort of fell off last year are having good nights. I'm mainly talking about Tim Hudson and Josh Beckett. Schmidt also had a good night, but our offense is terrible. The power outage is going to kill us.

Beckett's success was a bit deceiving. He only gave up two hits, but he walked four and threw only 46 strikes in 94 pitches. He's not going to be very effective if he keeps throwing so few strikes.

It was pretty cold, so nobody was throwing breaking pitches all that well. With his fastball, he seems to have learned how to "pitch" instead of "throw".

So, who wants to guess how popular Jorge Julio is on marlinbaseball.com right now?

He won't last as closer.

Rich Harden pitched seven shutout innings tonight and even better his arm didn't detach at the elbow and go flying into the stands.

Guest Smues
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES!

Finally, a win. Now we can go teach Barroid a lesson.

How to count to 740?

Teach him about winning.

A lesson in Joining a Contender, taught by Schmidt, Jason.

Teach him about winning.

A lesson in Joining a Contender, taught by Schmidt, Jason.

I'm not so sure about that. The Dodgers have been looking up at the Giants in the standings for 90% of Barry's time there.

I was just messin', I'm not stupid. That 90% hasn't turned into anything though. Barry doesn't know how to win a title. That's what I'm trying to say.

Barroid can have his tainted records.

I was just messin', I'm not stupid. That 90% hasn't turned into anything though. Barry doesn't know how to win a title. That's what I'm trying to say.

He's been to a World Series and came within a couple outs of winning the whole thing. The Dodgers haven't won a playoff game in 20 years.

Like I edited in, he can have his tainted records. I would rather not win playoff series for my franchise's entire existence, and then get in and win the whole thing in one shot, than get in constantly and fail in October. That one title that the Angels possess is worth more than Barry's trips to the postseason.

The Angels aren't my team, but that's my point. I would rather not win playoff games for 20 years and then have a great shot to win the whole thing, than play for a losing team and collect some records. But hey, I'm not Barry. That's why he's hit almost 740 HR's, and I'm sitting here on my computer.

Winning is everything.

Guest Smues

He's been to a World Series and came within a couple outs of winning the whole thing. The Dodgers haven't won a playoff game in 20 years.

They won 1 in 2004. Plus the 1988 world series would fall within that 20 year span.

Rich Harden pitched seven shutout innings tonight and even better his arm didn't detach at the elbow and go flying into the stands.

And on top of that the A's score 9 runs without a single homerun, on a night they only needed a few runs to seal the deal. :)

Guest Queen Leelee

Barry Bonds isn't clutch~!

He's no So Taguchi.

Padres beat the Giants 5-3. Homeruns by Khalil Greene, Marcus Giles, and Adrian Gonzalez. A good start so far. Although the Giants may be the worst team in the division.

In other MLB news, TBS to hire Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken. They will work the playoffs this year and the TBS national GOTW next year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...ction=si_latest

Guess I dont have to worry about many Os games on TBS next year.

The Cards wont win 70 games this season.

Riiight.

By the way, I am so happy that Extra Innings is going to be on cable this year. Hopefully they have it running by this afternoon so I can watch Matsuzaka pitch. John Kerry finally did something right, I guess.

Hey, I went to great lengths to say that the Cardinals weren't going to do as well as expected this year, so I'm not really surprised. I didn't expect that they'd be this bad to start off (and, to be fair, I can't see them continuing to have one embarrassing outfield error after another in every game for the rest of the season), but there are some fundamental problems with this club that will plague them all year, some of which were actually positives for the series with the Mets (the pitching performances of Kip Wells and Braden Looper).

What's great, though, is that you can see exactly how bad the Cardinals currently are in relation to the rest of the NL (they're hitting .200/.280/.289 as a team!) through BRef, which now maintains and updates their stats in-season.

Baseball-reference.com keeping up to date stats throughout the year is maybe the most awesome thing ever. Nothing like seeing that Dustin Pedroia has an OPS+ of 270 through one game. I also will try not to misuse this tool in arguments throughout the season. Okay, so I probably will, but I'll try to try not using it.

Guest Queen Leelee

It's going to be cold and snowy all weekend. Why are games scheduled in the coldest climates during the 1st week of the season.

This weekend the AAA season kicks off in Scranton in the midst of 35 degree highs. Like some cruel joke, it will next hit 50 the day after the first homestand. The stupid thing about this is it was absolutely gorgeous the last two weeks, perfect baseball weather.

I remember the days before Miller Park that the Brewers would have to wait a couple weeks before their home opener dure to weather concerns.

It's going to be cold and snowy all weekend. Why are games scheduled in the coldest climates during the 1st week of the season.

It was 87 degrees on opening day here. It's snowing right now. Hard to schedule around weather nowadays.