TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

oAo ECW on Sci-Fi -- 4/3/2007

I still think they could make the rules a little bit "looser" for ECW (like no count outs, no lame DQs for using a chair outside the ring)...but yeah, I get your point about it being more special when they have tables and chairs in use for a main event.

That's why people loved the old ECW because of all the violence and brutality

I still think they could make the rules a little bit "looser" for ECW (like no count outs, no lame DQs for using a chair outside the ring)...but yeah, I get your point about it being more special when they have tables and chairs in use for a main event.

That's why people loved the old ECW because of all the violence and brutality

No. That played a part but there was much more to ECW then hardcore wrestling.

Original storylines, characters. Straight up wrestling, luchadore high flying wrestling, the aura of the crowd, the family feeling that came with the promotion. ECW wasn't CZW. The hardcore stuff got the most attention but it was the characters and storylines back brought people back every week.

So what would you say is wrong with the new ECW?

Nothing is wrong. It's not a show that is a complete mess like TNA. It's a solid 60 minute wrestling program. Wisely they don't have 20 angles going at once. It's typically a formula style, which Raw and Smackdown also follow but because of the condense time and roster, it's different. They are establishing an important storyline that intregrates a great percentage of the workers. The matches on ECW are usually with the exception of the usual Lashley main event or Snitsky squash, very solid to even great like last night's main event. They have two key faces (Punk and Lashley), with the secondary faces equally established (Originals) and the main heels. It had alot of problems upon its inception from booking, and talent usage but since the creative regime shift, it has been very solid. Not at the level of Smackdown but much more consistant then Raw has been and in a comparative sense, far ahead of TNA.

the 2 minutes being wasted on Kelly can be use as a short promo for somebody

45 seconds and it's hardly a big issue at all. It's not just Kelly, anyways. She's not even the focal point of that group anymore. Besides, you have a problem with Brooke Adams?

Guest jonnymack

I would say there's nothing wrong with the current ECW product if it wasn't called ECW. What they are doing now is just making a "C" Brand to Raw's "A" and SD! "B". I am really disappointed in the ECW brand as it is right now. Where's the extreme? I think that they do put on better matches than most of the other programs and that's appreciated but you can tell that they decided to not even bother making a product different from the 2 other brands on TV right now. The New Breed/Originals storyline is OK and CM Punk has been a great addition to the show but Lashley would have never worn the ECW strap. Hell he wouldn't have made it in front of an ECW crowd. There's a reason WWE's moving the PPV's from the old ECW arenas to areas that never really knew ECW - they know the old ECW crowd will **** all over the current ECW product, as they should.

So in summary, the new WWECW is a nice show to watch and clips along well for an hour but if you have WWE 24/7 check out the old ECW braodcasts when they show them and you will see what the hubbub was all about.

The Nitro Girls is a waste of time I would rather watch a music video with highlights of Monty Brown's POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNCE~ period.

Give up that "IT'S NOT THE SAME!" sentiment. It's a moronic arguement that holds zero weight in assessing the value and quality of this product.

It's a brand name. They openly attribute that it's not the same as the "original" ECW but as a extension of the sports entertainment model. The quality of the show doesn't rest solely in the title of the show.

Why does it have to be a show of "extreme"? ECW, as I stated before was far more then just hardcore wrestling. Characters like CM Punk would have been the central forces in the original ECW and ECW had big men as well in the mold of Lashley. What this shows has right now that it didn't at first by any stretch is a direction and that's attributed to a great foundation at the head of the creative team.

Guest jonnymack
Give up that stupid "IT'S NOT THE SAME!" sentiment. It's a moronic arguement that holds zero weight in assessing the value and quality of this product.

It's a brand name. They openly attribute that it's not the same as the "original" ECW but as a extension of the sports entertainment model. The quality of the show doesn't rest solely in the title of the show.

When they maintain the name and act like they are continuing the legacy of "extreme" it's hard for me to ignore. The point of my post somewhat echoes yours, as long as you don't go into it expecting something similar to old ECW you'll probably enjoy it. I think the show is OK but if you were to watch old ECW broadcasts you'd probably enjoy it more. They should just change the name after the originals leave and it will be much better for everyone involved. And honestly, you don't think the point of the revival of ECW was to show that ECW's brand of wrestling could be successful? One Night Stand I's whole point was to prove to Vince that there was demand for that type of product. The goal of ECW has changed since then but please don't tell me that they planned from the get-go to have this show be SD!-lite.

And by the way ALL my arguements hold zero weight so get used to it.

the 2 minutes being wasted on Kelly can be use as a short promo for somebody

45 seconds and it's hardly a big issue at all. It's not just Kelly, anyways. She's not even the focal point of that group anymore. Besides, you have a problem with Brooke Adams?

I'm personally a big fan of Brooke Adams but you should see my female friends that are fans or my male friends that get overly smarky and hate the women.....

They're all like "fire these sluts they have no talent" It's also fun listening to an average looking woman tell me Kelly and Brooke are ugly.

I never watch the dancers. Ever. I went for a piss break with the 1st appearance of Kelly Kelly and I've enevr looked back.

I got ECW House Party 96 from eBay a couple of weeks ago with the Stevie Richards - Sabu main event, was I the only one wanting a win for good ol' Studly Stevie Richards? Also, I've never seen much of ROH or the big Japan promotions, but from my Wikipedia browsings, did Punk just steal Go 2 Sleep directly from Kenta?

Also, good main event, apart from when Sandman fucked up one of the cane shots. I love the guy, but man, he's been doing them for over a decade, can't he get them right yet?

Give up that "IT'S NOT THE SAME!" sentiment. It's a moronic arguement that holds zero weight in assessing the value and quality of this product.

Why does it have to be a show of "extreme"? ECW, as I stated before was far more then just hardcore wrestling. Characters like CM Punk would have been the central forces in the original ECW and ECW had big men as well in the mold of Lashley. What this shows has right now that it didn't at first by any stretch is a direction and that's attributed to a great foundation at the head of the creative team.

So basically, agree with Hawk or you're a moron.

Here we go with this overly romantisized view of what ECW actually was........I've never seen fans of a product make it out like it was better than what it was like old ECW fans do.

There is such a misconception about the original ECW that it was merely "hardcore garbage matches" simple because that is what Vince McMahon chooses to emphasize on his WWE Produced DVDs.

People always get carried away with what "Extreme Rules" signifies. In the original ECW, the majority of matches were straight matches minus countouts, in otherwords the wrestlers never even used weapons, it was just that they could brawl outside the ring and all over the place without the fear of being counted out.

The other half of the matches, were pretty straight up, but would feature a chair shot or two towards the end. Or the use of a chair as part of their finisher, like RVD used a chair for the Van-Daminator, and Sabu sometimes used a chair for an Atomic Arabian Facebuster. It's really no different then a WWE Main Event, yet except for a stupid referee bump taking place before the chair shot, you just make it legal because it would come into play a lot of the time anyway.

Then you would have the actual GIMMICK MATCHES, the hardcore brawl matches. The ones with non stop weaponry and blood etc etc etc

The dilemma you have in the new "ECW" was created by the super smart guys in WWE Creative for even labeling things "EXTREME RULES" or not, because if falsely implies that "EXTREME RULES" = Weapons.

Guest TheJuice31

An insult to what ECW used to be? Of course. When the brand name is EXTREME Championship Wrestling, there should at least be something consistent to distinguish it from RAW or Smackdown for the fans who never watched the original ECW. Before last night's match, when was the last time they did an Extreme Rules Match? The Sabu/Kennedy MITB qualifying match? That was over a month ago. If they're gonna throw in little nuances like referencing ECW as "the land of extreme," give the casual fan a reason to believe so and remind them why it's called Extreme Championship Wrestling (once every 5-6 weeks won't cut it). Otherwise, as many have said, it just looks like a WWE C-show.

There is such a misconception about the original ECW that it was merely "hardcore garbage matches" simple because that is what Vince McMahon chooses to emphasize on his WWE Produced DVDs.

Paul Heyman did the same exact thing. EXTREME WARFARE VOLUME 11!! BORN TO BE WIRED!! Heyman promoted the violent aspect of the product the most heavily.

It's true that there was much more than hardcore to ECW. There was lucha (Psicosis/Rey, Super Crazy, Antifaz), puro (Tajiri, Hayabusa/Jinzei, Tanaka), great technical wrestling (Benoit, Malenko, Storm, Jerry Lynn), a solid tag team division (Impact Players, Dudleyz, Bad Breed, Gangstaz)...that's why I loved ECW. And the current product has NONE of that. This show is Velocity with bigger names.

I think people identify ECW with violent hardcore brawls because that is what was heavily marketed even by Heyman at the time. It's not that hard to get people to notice guys using flaming branding irons or crashing into barbed wire, it grabs someone by the nuts. It's harder to market a straight wrestling match with Eddie and Malenko. That stuff was always more of a special attraction sideshow. Kinda like "Hey, we brought in a couple of Mexicans for a guest spot!"

The odd thing to me is that Shane Douglas was often the ECW champion and I never found him especially good at hardcore brawling or scientific wrestling. He could run his mouth, that's about it.

In the world of ECW, with violent brawls, high flying action, and stiff shots, Shane Douglas had the most spectacular finish of them all.

The Belly to Belly Suplex. \m/

That .gif reminds me of something. Now don't get me wrong, the move through the table was awesome and just perfect, but my favorite part of it all was Elijah's selling of the move himself. That was some really, really good shit.

What I loved about the spot besides the actual effect and impact along the tremendous selling from each men was that they built it as if we should expect a POUNCE~! through the table since that'd be the seemingly obvious spot only for Elijah to come out of nowhere with that spot. Tremendous finish.

I never thought that by 2007 being a fan of the original ECW would date you, but it has.

You have got to remember at the time WCW and WWF would occasionally refer to each other with intelligence insulting barbs like "This is great action you will only see on WCW! Unlike those other guys! This is where the Big Boys play!" While in ECW at the time they were ripping on the other promotions by name and saying the kind of things that you and your buddies would say if you were all sitting around looking at PWIs. "Shane Douglas would kick Flair's ass if he ever came to ECW!" It was kind of like a veil being lifted. I also think the music was a big deal as these guys were coming to the ring in stuff that you were listening to, not some Jimmy Hart composition that you would not be caught dead listening to. The whole WWF attitiude era was basically ECW lite as they "borrowed" a lot of ECW concepts.