TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Gahhhhhh spoiler tags, so tempting... I have to wait till Saturday to see the movie.

Does anyone know if any cable channels are airing Batman Begins this weekend? I haven't seen it since 2006. I saw it for $6 in some store's ad, but cannot remember which.

I think it was TBS showing it last night.

Edit: Boon's right, it was TNT that was showing it. When I saw Batman and Robin was on, I had to change the channel quickly.

They were also showing Batman Forever on there. I just watched that a month or so ago. Has aged poorly and I didn't even like it that much in the first place. Would it blasphemous to say that Batman Forever is in the same stratosphere of suck as Batman and Robin? I mean the latter is obviously worse but I can't say the former is that much better.

Anyways, I'm seeing this at 3:15. Trying not to get too pumped up for this one. If I have any interesting thoughts, I'm sure I'll post them here afterwards.

From IMDB:

Just saw Christian Bale on TV, doing an interview, speaking with that british or australian accent or whatever it is. It pisses me off. What right does he have to play an American iconic character? I mean if he is going to play it then just play it with his natural accent. So give Bruce Wayne a brit accent. Don't surprise everyone by speaking with that accent in real life.

Ever watch "House"? House looks, acts, and speaks like a full blooded American, but when you hear the actor speak in his own accent.... dang, he's a total heavy accented brit. It's very dissappointing.

I'm not being prejudice. I don't care when Canadians play American roles, but the foreigners with accents who hide it in their roles, making everyone think they are real Americans, only to shock everyone later when they don't speak like that in real life. It pisses me off.

How would the English feel if a new actor played James Bond, only to find out later, he's actually an American actor doing a phony Brit accent all the time on film? They will be pretty pissed.

I wonder how that person feels about Eric Bana, Ewan McGregor, Iian Gruffold, Jason Isaacs and Orlando Bloom all playing US Soldiers with southern accents in Blackhawk Down?

Oh yeah, I was also wondering who, if anyone, would have the stones/skill to try to play the Joker after Heath's performance. I came up with two answers: Johnny Depp and Daniel Day fucking Lewis.

The southern accents piss me off from people not from the south because they all sound fake and over the top. Then people not from the south talk about what a amazing accent it is. I tried to watch "The Closer" this weekend and had to just turn the TV off because of that godawful accent that chick has going on.

And this thread is murder man...I want to see spoilers, but then I don't want to ruin it....

GODDAMMIT....

If Bale wasn't playing Batman, I would love him to do it.

For me, Ben Foster would be fucking great because he is Ben Fucking Foster.

Guest Vitamin X

What happens to the guy who owns the cars that get totally wrecked by Batman.

I thought the movie was pretty great, but I also felt like they could've made the ending a little better as well. I'm not going to go overboard with the hyperbole here like some people have ("Best movie I've ever seen!"? What are you, 12? Or you just haven't seen that many movies?) but the movie did live up to the hype and Ledger was great. I'm really looking forward to Ledger's true last role ever in the new Terry Gilliam film, since he really seemed like he was hitting a tremendous stride here.

On the topic of previous Batmans, Forever and Returns both suck pretty hard, but I think I remember Kilmer not being too bad as the Dark Knight. I just don't have particularly fond memories of Michael Keaton, actually, but it's been a long time since I've seen those movies, so I can't be totally sure. I think it's pretty hard to argue, after this one, that Bale is far and away the best Batman, though. It'll be weird to see him play John Connor in the new Terminator.

I'm not going to go overboard with the hyperbole here like some people have ("Best movie I've ever seen!"? What are you, 12? Or you just haven't seen that many movies?)

Just because a few of us honestly feel this way about the movie, doesn't necessarily make it hyperbole. I've been waiting for a Batman film of THIS caliber for about 20 years, give or take. I've finally had it delivered to me and I don't see how it's doing any harm to state that fact. Maybe your should keep your pissy litte quips to yourself.

No, there's no defense for saying it's the best movie. I heard people in the theater saying that, and they're impressionable fools.

Best batman movie or best comic movie or best action movie, or best this decade woudl all be acceptable if you really want to push it. But Best ever...nah....no defending that one.

They were also showing Batman Forever on there. I just watched that a month or so ago. Has aged poorly and I didn't even like it that much in the first place. Would it blasphemous to say that Batman Forever is in the same stratosphere of suck as Batman and Robin? I mean the latter is obviously worse but I can't say the former is that much better.

Anyways, I'm seeing this at 3:15. Trying not to get too pumped up for this one. If I have any interesting thoughts, I'm sure I'll post them here afterwards.

Batman Forever had moments of brilliance- I liked the opening scene with Two-Face, I loved Carrey's Riddler, and the scene between Bruce and Chase was well done (as was the fight right after). But at the same time, Schumacker made his presence known with all of the neon and the blue back-lights on the batmobile; and the black lights. Also they really mis-cast Dick; he should have been played bya much younger actor.

Batman and Robin- well, I could go on for days how they fucked that up. Bane as a dim-witted henchman, the Batman credit card, Arnold....

Also, does anybody else think that the guy they got to play Gordon in the original four movies was just totaly wrong for the character? Oldman LOOKS like the Gordon of the comics; that guy didn't even come close.

No, there's no defense for saying it's the best movie. I heard people in the theater saying that, and they're impressionable fools.

Best batman movie or best comic movie or best action movie, or best this decade woudl all be acceptable if you really want to push it. But Best ever...nah....no defending that one.

Well, there's a defense for it when it's my own opinion. Up until this point it's been Blade Runner for me. But after last night I have a new one, and it's The Dark Knight. It's not like I'm forcing the rest of you to declare it your best movie ever. Sheesh, get over yourselves.

Guest Vitamin X

I'd say Blade Runner is an infinitely better movie, but I, too, will probably say Dark Knight might be more entertaining on a personal level.

That said, it's really difficult to take comments made on the movie in context when it hasn't even fully sank in yet. I remember I kinda liked the new Indiana Jones right after I saw it, and now I think it was just kinda disappointing. I'll probably forget about Dark Knight in a couple months as well, but I still think it was a great movie.

Here I'll point out that there is a distinction to be made between "favorite" and "best". It can help in these situations.

I don't usually get into stupidity parades like this one, but here's where I'll quote my post after seeing the movie, and bold the part that should be interpreted as favourite.

5 stars. Best movie I've ever seen. I'm serious. I have no issues or complaints. If someone were to ask me to choose only one movie that I'd be able to watch for the rest of my life, I now have an answer.

I'm sorry that you can't read between the lines of my posts, but none of this really matters in the end now does it?

The part that you bolded means that you're saying "There could be a better movie, but I haven't seen it." That has nothing to do with favorite/best. You're wrong, that's all there is too it.

I know what you meant. I know what everyone else who said that meant. You're impressionable fools.

Yeah guys, it is hard to argue about someone's personally opinions of films, books, etc. If they feel it is the best movie, it is their own opinion. It's not like the question, "What is the best film ever?" only has one definitive answer. To each their own. It can be both their favorite and what they think is the best because it is their opinion.

For myself, I would definitely rank it immediately in my top 5 films of "best" film ever, and will be able to judge it more after seeing it a few more times. I can give details on why, but it would be spoileriffic and I will just handle that in the near future. I was totally engrossed in this movie and I can not honestly remember one bad acting performance.

Well, yeah, there's actually two things at work here making me take issue with this.

One, the differentiation between favorite and best. Favorite means one thing, and best means another. There is no "best to me". Words mean what they mean. This makes me feel like Czech, but I find this irritating.

Two, there are people saying this is objectively the best movie ever made. I was with them in the theater last night, greasy haired dumplings with freshly purchased XL Heath Ledger shirts stretched taut over Rockstar filled guts, intoning the virtues of the Long Halloween. "That was, without question, the greatest achievement in the history of film." My theater had a hype man too, who said that in seven years of working in the "film industry" (read: at a movie theater), this was the best film he had ever seen "by far".

dubq here has merely been caught in the crossfire of these two irritants. For that, my apologies. However, the personal insults will not be tolerated.

So how are personal insults not to be tolerated when you're calling me an impressionable fool?

I'm sorry. I initially meant that the people in the theater were impressionable fools, but I applied it to you when you mentioned the parade of stupidity. I take it back.

Let's discuss the film and not the weight of importance in a message boarder's claims of this movie's placement amongst the history of motion pictures.

It's a really good movie with tremendous acting across the board and it didn't fail to meet the overall hype assigned to this film be it by the extensive history of this franchise, the success of it's predecessor or the curiosity factor in Ledger's final complete performance.

It's not him in particular that's important, but the overblown reaction to this is definitely going to hurt it. But let's just say it lived up to the hype, which is a damn fine accomplishment, cause that was a lot of hype.

Get ready for backlash too. That's a casualty of hype, the reaction to the movie overshadows the movie itself. But once the dust settles, I think it'll have a solid place in history. Hell, it's only been like 11 hours since I saw it, and I was asleep for most of that. I gotta let this sink in. And see it a few more times.

12:01am Friday numbers are in and The Dark Knight made $18.4m off the midnight screenings (not counting 3am or 6am shows). This beats previous record holder Revenge of the Sith's $16.9m.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/firs...s-sith-numbers/

FRIDAY 7AM: Warner Bros is poised to make Hollywood history this weekend. That's because its opening comic book caper The Dark Knight is already on its way to breaking records left and right today even as it's still sparking a ticket-selling frenzy across North America. I've just been told that the latest Batman installment's $18.4 million midnight shows -- technically, 12:01AM -- in 3,040 theaters broke the record of $16.9 million set by Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith in 2005. Across North America, theater managers in small towns to big cities are working feverishly to squeeze in more screenings and satisfy voracious moviegoer demand. News reports were quoting fans as saying they'd pay $100 per ticket just to see the PG-13 pic. (Photo by Jim Stevenson of audiences arriving at Hollywood's Arclight Theater for the first showing of Dark Knight.)

Fandango.com, the largest online ticketseller, has just announced that Dark Knight has jumped to No. 2 on its Top 10 List of Advance Ticket-Sellers. It's No. 4 on MovieTickets.com's list. Fandango.com says it's now selling an average of nearly 10 tickets per second for the pic during peak periods, while MovieTickets.com cites more than 1,300 performances nationwide that are still sold out, including more than 220 in New York City and Los Angeles alone. These are extraordinary metrics underscoring Hollywood's belief that not just the individual but also the overall 3-day non-holiday box office record is going down this weekend.