TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Just got back. I thought it was an awesome movie, except for the themes that it was trying to convey. They didn't seem like they got them through clearly enough, and I think the ending failed to come to a point or conclusion.

Overall, cool movie though.

Sucks they just went ahead and killed Two Face, though. I thought the make-up made him look like the Terminator, but it still looked pretty good.

In regards to your spoiler:

Am I the only one who didn't even get the feeling at all that they had killed Dent off? I left the theater, without it even crossing my mind that he was dead.

As someone said, even with the padding, if Batman could have survived the fall, it's easily believable that Dent could have. Especially if he had hit anything in similar fashion to slow his fall. A few broken bones, sure, but I don't think it killed him. And even with the little press conference they had regarding him, I took it as them having him save face (lol) so that he still had potential to lead Gotham in the future. Long story short, I'm pretty sure he wasn't dead.

And I have to say in regards to Eckhart I really enjoyed his performance. I don't know why, but before the movie I really wasn't feeling him at all. There was just something about him I didn't like. Maybe it was the horrible hair, that looked like a bad toupee or something. He really seemed like a typical scumbag or something. But his performance in this movie was amazing,

and I really bought completely into Harvey as 'The White Knight of Gotham'.

The hospital scene was just fucking awesome. Joker fumbling with the remote until he got the desired explosion. I fucking loved that.

And my favorite scene of the movie, even though it's not as standout as some of the others was fucking Batman dropping Maroni from the window. Because that's exactly how I want to see Batman. That shit was gruesome, hilarious, and just downright awesome.

I don't see movie audiences mark out that much at the theater but when

when The Joker did "the magic trick" with the pencil

they went BANANA!

I think what Batman Begins lacked was a truly memorable moment that you forever associate with the picture.

The example you gave is easily that moment for this movie, among maybe half a dozen more. Talk about a character-establishing moment.

Oh yeah, the film is absolutely great. More comments in a bit.

I'm sure the $100 people were talking about sellout theatres in bigger cities and not your little berg, Marvin.

Point still stands. 100 bucks to see a MOVIE, yeah that is someone with way too much money and time on their hands. I don't care where you are, that's borderline in need of medication behavior.

Am I the only one who didn't even get the feeling at all that they had killed Dent off? I left the theater, without it even crossing my mind that he was dead.

As someone said, even with the padding, if Batman could have survived the fall, it's easily believable that Dent could have. Especially if he had hit anything in similar fashion to slow his fall. A few broken bones, sure, but I don't think it killed him. And even with the little press conference they had regarding him, I took it as them having him save face (lol) so that he still had potential to lead Gotham in the future. Long story short, I'm pretty sure he wasn't dead.

I took it as them putting up a good facade for Dent while they stick him in Arkham. But what do I know?

I certainly didn't buy that he was just gone.

The AMC theater in Manhattan is sold out for every show until Tuesday from what I was reading in the paper today.

They had a funeral for him, so I'm just gonna assume that he died.

I don't know, that's just me.

Early projections for TDK. $153 mil.

I'm glad to see that its most likely going to surpass Spider-Man 3. That movie doesn't deserve to have any kind of records. To be honest, I don't think most people even want to see a 4th one. Also, it seems pretty obvious that there will be a sequel to The Dark Knight, due to the great business its doing, but what do you expect to see in the next movie?

Loved it of course. My favorite scene..

Where the Joker was talking to that guy in prison about how he killed 6 people he knew, and how he loves using knives because he wants to see their emotion and reveal how those people really are and all that stuff. Really showed how cold blooded the Joker is. The first scene summed up the type of character the Joker is, screwing people left and right, all anarchy, leaving himself on top. I need to see this again in IMAX.

I kind of hope there isn't another Batman movie. I mean I loved the first two but let's look at the track records for third movies in superhero movie series

Superman III (suck))

Batman Forever (suck)

Blade Trinity(suck)

X3(suck)

Spiderman 3 (suck)

They should probably stop here with the Batman movies? Will they? As the great Gorilla Monsoon would say "Highly unlikely"

well think the prob with most of the sucky third parts was changes in directors/etc. If Batman can keep Nolan and Bale without the studios sticking their noses in ala Spidey 3 it should be fine.

You know, while I agree that the hospital scene was probably the highlight of the Joker, I think my favorite line of his may have been "Yeah." You know what I'm talking about. The ability to make a single word awesome like that, that's good stuff.

You know, while I agree that the hospital scene was probably the highlight of the Joker, I think my favorite line of his may have been "Yeah." You know what I'm talking about. The ability to make a single word awesome like that, that's good stuff.

It was something like (paraphrasing):

You think you can come in and take the mob's money and get away?

You probably remember it better than I do.

Or "Hi."

Which also happens to be in the hospital scene.

Loved it of course. My favorite scene..

Where the Joker was talking to that guy in prison about how he killed 6 people he knew, and how he loves using knives because he wants to see their emotion and reveal how those people really are and all that stuff. Really showed how cold blooded the Joker is. The first scene summed up the type of character the Joker is, screwing people left and right, all anarchy, leaving himself on top. I need to see this again in IMAX.

You gotta continue that scene, man.

Where he says "So in a way, I knew your best friends better than you did... Do you want to know which of them were cowards?" It's not his ability to kill heartlessly, but his ability to cut through anything and find the weakest part of a person that is amazing.

The comparisons to Hannibal Lector are a lot closer than I had expected. The execution of that character on the writing and acting front was absolutely amazing.

And I have to say, the critics that said it was hard to follow are dead wrong. Maybe it's just that my generation have become better multi-taskers or something, but I never had any sort of problems with the multiple plot threads running around.

And to give credit, that was easily the best usage of "Someone finds out the Hero's identity" I've ever seen or read. Absolutely believable in how it came up, and great handling any time it was mentioned. And Lucius Fox's comment was great. "You found out the secret of a multi-billion dollar man who goes out at night and thrashes people with his bare hands. And you want to blackmail him?" Along with the hospital threat, it just worked great. Along with that, I like the fact that Ramierez mentioned the hospital bills of her mother being the way the mob got her, and the fact that her name came up on Gordon's phone. Great usage of continuity and a bit of foreshadowing (along with Dent constantly reminding him that he had her (and others like her) previously indicted.

Also, credit to the Nolans for doing a great tease of the classic Harvey Dent background with the Sal Maroni trial scene. It's pretty much exactly what his original origin story went, only with a gun this time.

I do have to admit, if there is one weak point in the movie, it was probably Maggie Gyllenhaal. Her performance was a bit of a jolt from Katie Holmes, mostly in regards to how the character is. In the first movie, Holmes plays her more humble, while Gyllenhaal gives her too much of a swagger and smart-allecky tone at times. Nothing big, just had to say that.

It was something like (paraphrasing):

You think you can come in and take the mob's money and get away?

You probably remember it better than I do.

Yeah, something like that, while Chaplin'ng it up with his pull-string, which he also did with the detonator later on. I think Ledge clearly studied some mime/silent era comedy.

I'm so captivated by his performance that it almost makes me sad I can't go around randomly killing people. Also that he's dead and can't talk about what went into this.

I liked Gyllenhaal better than Holmes but she was the weakest link. The Rachel Dawes part really is kind of unneccessary but I guess there's got to be some principal female character. Come to mention it, I don't remember Bruce Wayne's love interests in the Burton/Schumacher series being particularly interesting either.

Re: Nightwing..I'm eh at remembering scenes that I didn't want to ruin what he said; you got the line down nicely. That scene was awesome.

And Milky, it's tough not to love what the Joker was doing even if it's horrible. Inspiring performance.

I also wanted to add how he kept changing the story on how he got those scars. I found that pretty funny, especially since he was about to cut the other person up after he finished.

How'd you guys like the people around you? Lots of talking or whatever? I'm disappointed that two people I went with wouldn't shut the help up, or just spoke or laugh too loudly and had no idea what the hell was going and who the hell is Batman.

Why didn't he kill the Joker? and OMG is Harvey Dent gonna die because of that fire? Stupid bitches. And one of the girls got up to go to the bathroom in the scene where they're about to reveal Harvey Dent's face.

Kamala^,

I guess Rachel served her purpose by being the main reason for Harvey Dent's change.

Going to see it tomorrow for an afternoon showing. Had to hold off today since my mom wanted to go see it for her birthday. It's very likely I'll end up having to see this both at the reg. theater tomorrow and maybe also across town in IMAX at a later date. What exactly is the difference in terms of what is in IMAX and what isn't?

I'll tell you what to me is the defining money scene in Begins. Not sure if I should use spoiler tags, but I'll do it anyway:

Ra's and Co. have torched Wayne Manor, Bruce and Alfred have barely escaped being burned alive. They have a conversation somewhat like this:

Bruce: I tried to save Gotham....and I failed.

Alfred: Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves back up.

Bruce: You haven't given up on me, Alfred?

Alfred: Never.

Mind you, that isn't the flashiest scene but it's so beautifully done.

The audience for the most part was pretty good around me. There was (I presume) a theater hopper who walked in confused during a pivotal moment (

when they revealed Two Face

). The only person that talked quite a bit near me was my best friend and he shut up for the most part after the first ten minutes or so.

Cabbage- there's about twenty minutes of footage shot with the IMAX cameras. Mostly the action scenes I'm guessing. I wish I could go to a showing at an IMAX theater but the nearest one is an hour and forty minutes away.

I had a very good crowd. Appropriate reactions, applause for the Joker's first scene, minimal chatter.

My only complaint was after the Watchmen trailer some guy said "I have never heard of Watchmen." I consider that good, though, because now people will get that stupid tattoo I have, and not "Rad, a happy face! What the fuck is that spot?

I didn't really take it that Dent was dead at all. Of course they had the funeral. The whole point of the movie was that Gotham needed to believe in Harvey Dent. It's why Batman took the wrap for what he did...and people could NEVER find out what Dent had become.

I took it as...we're locking this guy away so no one will know what became of him.

Remember his big line: You either die the hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Dent has to be "dead" to the city. And he had to be the hero.

I didn't see any of that pointing to him being gone for good

Exactly, all of those movies had very specific reasons why they sucked, usually because of studio interference, often including personel changes for the worse.

Superman III: they tossed Richard Donner, gave way too much time to Richard Pryor, and most of the original supporting cast refused to do anything but brief cameos

Batman Forever: Tim Burton > Joel Schumacher

Blade Trinity: screenwriter David S. Goyer happened to shat out his worst script in years while simultaneously making the dumbass decision to direct it himself

X3: Bryan Singer >>>>>>>> Brett Ratner

Spiderman 3: studio insisted they had to include Venom

Though truthfully not all of these were the same level of suck, for me at least. X3 was downright unwatchable, Blade Trinity was frustratingly worse than the others in the series, and Batman Forever and Superman III unfortunately went for a more goofy, unambitious tone than the films which preceeded them. But while I certainly don't think it's anywhere near the quality that part 2 exemplified, I thought Spider-man 3 was okay. Hell, I'd put it on about the same level as the first one, which I always thought was overrated.

EDIT: and another agreement here that one of the mods needs to change the title of this thread since it's not the real boxoffice wanking we do here each week.

The Joker was fan-fuckin-tastic. A little disappointed in how little

Two Face we got

I'm gonna have to see this again, but the Joker was awesome. His mayhem, his twisted plans

(the whole turn-yourself-in-or-I'll-kill-again or kill-the-guy-or-I-blow-up-a-hospital stuff was brilliant), his voice. Really really great stuff, and infinitely watchable. Nice nods to Killing-Joke-style Joker with his changing backstory and his overall plot to show how on a bad day everybody could become a monster like him.

I didn't really take it that Dent was dead at all. Of course they had the funeral. The whole point of the movie was that Gotham needed to believe in Harvey Dent. It's why Batman took the wrap for what he did...and people could NEVER find out what Dent had become.

I took it as...we're locking this guy away so no one will know what became of him.

Remember his big line: You either die the hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Yeah, actually I agree with all that. Plus, we know they want to make another one. He's as good a character as the Joker, maybe even better, if not as iconic. With proper Joker re-casting, since Heath has laid the blueprint, I would actually think a Harvey focused third movie has potential to be even better. It'd just be... stupid to throw away that chance.

Is that good enough?

I think it should be something to reflect Batman's opening day, or just merge it with the TDK thread.

From fantasy moguls-

COMPETING STUDIO REPORTS: 'Dark Knight' may top opening day record with $63M and 3-day record with $153M!

by Steve Mason

FRIDAY 4:00 p.m. (Pacific): Just got off the phone with a competing studio exec, and I am told that their "numbers crunchers" are, at the moment, projecting that The Dark Knight (Warner Bros) will break the all-time opening day and all-time 3-day weekend records, surpassing last May's Spider-Man 3.

According to the studio exec, the Christopher Nolan-directed Batman Begins sequel is on pace for a $63M opening day! That does include the $18.4M reported by Warner Bros this morning for overnight business. If the number holds (or even if it is close), it will a staggeringly huge start for the impeccably reviewed superhero picture, and it will be enough to blow by Spider-Man 3's $59.84M opening day.

My source also reports that The Dark Knight is on pace for $153M for the 3-day, which would top Spidey 3's opening frame of $151.11M. Keep in mind that when the numbers get this big, the percentages get very small. At $153M, Knight would set the record by a margin of less than 1% over SM3. The numbers laid out for me went like this: $63M Friday, $53M Saturday and $37M on Sunday.

Complete numbers, including early results for Mamma Mia! (Universal) and Space Chimps (Fox), as they become available.

I'd say he looks a lot closer to dead than alive. Batman survived because he had a chance to prepare for the fall; Harvey went right over. The fact that they didn't show him in a cell somewhere sort of told me he wasn't alive, and frankly I'd rather the character be dead than alive. At the very least, he's no longer the shadow of his former self that he had become.

To ask: Do we really want him alive? I mean, what could you do with him that wouldn't completely compromise the end of the film? I think him being dead allows them to move forward without any big plot worries outside of the Joker himself. Plus, the third movie has to end on a slightly higher note than this one, if only because this was the Joker movie. Ruining all the goodwill that Harvey gets... I don't think a movie could recover from that.

A quick question:

Did Fox actually resign in the end, or did Bruce rig the machine so he wouldn't lose Lucius? That was maybe the only part of the movie that I wasn't quite sure about.

For villains in the third movie, I say bring on a Riddler and maybe Bane. Actually, especially Bane; a new, aggressive boss who isn't afraid to get his hands really dirty. Black Mask would also be a decent choice. I suppose

with the main cast being cut down a little bit

, the movie could support a third villain.

It's a big risk. I don't know If I'd take that risk. Yeah they would make a shitload of money, but it could leave a bad taste in everyones mouth if the new Joker sucks ass.