TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Getting back to something....Iron Man and Batman Begins are very, very different superhero films. I'll be honest, it took me a couple of viewings to "get" Begins. The first time I saw it I found it a bit frustrating, with an origin that I didn't really buy on some levels. But then I went back and watched the previous 4 movies and saw how truly hideous all of them aside from the 1989 film are, and then I started appreciating it a bit more.

If I had to choose between the two films, I would probably take Iron Man. That's probably the best Marvel hero movie to date.

I've read some of these bad reviews of Dark Knight and notice the same criticism in most of them, that Nolan's films "aren't as fun as the Burton films." People, it is time to get off Burton's nuts when it comes to Batman. Even as a 10 year old the 1989 Batman was never a favorite of mine. Perhaps I didn't care for the ultra bleak tone (bleak for back then anyway, probably nothing compared to the new film). Maybe I just didn't like the fact that Burton gave The Joker everything to do and seemed uninterested in Batman/Bruce Wayne as a character. For all of the visual splendor of Burton's films, storywise they aren't much better than the Schumacher foolishness that followed. It always amazes me that some try to defend Batman Returns as any kind of a decent movie, despite the horribly unfaithful rendition of The Penguin, the bizarre and incoherent origin of Catwoman, Batman being reduced even more to a bit part player in his own movie, and an army of penguins with bombs descending on Gotham.

That's what I enjoyed about Begins on multiple viewings. It was the first Batman movie that actually qualifies as a BATMAN movie. It's not The Scarecrow guest starring Batman.

I honestly don't get all the Keaton Love that those movies get. He's okay, but he has all the personality of a block of wood throughout those movies. I also like Jack Nicholson, but calling his performance "multi-layered" is a stretch. He was fun... but I didn't find his performance to be particularly deep. Burton's Batman was good; it was the Batman that the people wanted at the time, and it was the best one that probably could have made it to the screen. But it's never been the "OH MY GOD!" movie that people seem to remember it as.

I just bought Begins on blu-ray this past weekend and watched it all the way through for what was probably the second time, and I still don't think it is that great. Just good, but none-the-less I am still uber geeked-out for Dark Knight, just because quite simply it looks awesome. I am not someone who thinks you had to gush over Begins in order to be hyped for Dark Knight.

As far as Friday goes....originally I was going to fandango my tix, but jesus christ it is playing on eight screens at the theater by my house, and so far tomorrow's midnight show only has one of the seven screens sold out. I think I will just play it by ear and call moviefone on Friday during work, and if I need to fandango tix during the day I will, I mean shit with a showing every 45 mins or so, i don't consider it that big a deal if I have to wait till the following showing.

About 24 hours now until I'll be in my local theater watching the movie. I've been way too pumped for this movie. I think I'm gonna stay away from clips or threads about it for a day. I'm planning on watching Begins and Gotham Knight tomorrow and possibly the 89 version to get myself ready. I also got my Imax tickets for Saturday in Nashville. I'm having to go to the 9am show because the 7pm is sold out. But yeah...very excited.

The Iron Man/Batman Begins conversation is something that I am really interested in having.

Iron Man is (IMO) the perfect "comic book movie".

And IMO...Batman Begins is a better movie.

That shouldn't make any sense whatsoever since they are both based off of comic books...but that's how I view them.

Iron Man was so fricking good in the genre. And Begins transcended it.

With many of the early reviews comparing it to Heat or Departed and not to another comic book movie...my hopes for Knight are way up...since they seem to have concentrated on the things I liked about the first one. Just because you are based on a comic book does not mean you have to be a "comic book movie".

Sometimes...you can just be a great film.

I too found Batman Begins to be a little odd when I first saw it. Even though Begins didn't get any kind of hype compared to Dark Knight, I was stoked to see that movie too, and when I saw it, I liked it, but I thought something seemed strange about it. I wasn't expecting to see such a realistic take on a superhero, so I actually didn't think it was as good as the 89 Batman. Then over the next few years, I watched it more and more times, and read some graphic novels that influenced it, and I now consider it a great movie. Trying to go back and watching the previous 4 movies now is like torture for me. Those movies were too obsessed with focusing on villians and ignoring Batman, and they don't feel like Batman movies either. They feel more like fantasy, when Batman movies should feel like crime dramas.

Yesterday, I called the movie theater that's five minutes from where I live to ask if they still had tickets available for the midnight screening. "Oh, we're not doing a midnight screening." That's just a bit strange, considering they've done midnight shows for just about anything that has any kind of hype behind it. The last movie I saw at midnight there was Superman Returns.

So, I just called the next closest theater that's about 10 minutes further, and bought my tickets online. I'm happy to say that I haven't watched any of the clips outside of the trailer going in, so everything will be fresh.

I haven't even watched the trailer. My way of hyping myself includes seeing as little footage as possible. Almost going in blind, but not blind, because it's hard to change the channel before any commercials come on.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon.

Going to the 12:10 show I think.

Here's boxofficeguru.com's prediction:

The superhero sequel The Dark Knight and the musical Mamma Mia! debut head to head in what could a tight race for the number one spot. Or one film might open $100M higher than the other. Either way, the North American box office will soar to dizzying heights and become one of the highest-grossing weekends in movie history. The kidpic Space Chimps also enters the mix hoping to attract a few children, but overall multiplexes will be jam packed as the top ten films alone are set to generate well over $200M.

Riding a wave of anticipation not seen in some time, The Dark Knight arrives in theaters at midnight on Thursday night and is sure to explode with one of the largest openings in history. Warner Bros. is releasing the PG-13 film in a record 4,366 theaters (including 94 IMAX locations) with an estimated 9,200 total screens. The theater count inches past the 4,362 of last year's Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's Edge which used to be the widest opener in that category. As for total screens, Dark Knight's count is not as high as the 10,000 screens that Sony secured for Spider-Man 3 when it set the all-time opening weekend record in May 2007 with $151.3M, but it is higher than the 8,500 screens that the second biggest opener Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest locked in two years ago in July 2006 for its then-record $135.6M launch. Both megahits averaged between $15,000-16,000 per screen and between $32,000-36,000 per theater.

The new Batman saga reunites Christian Bale with director Christopher Nolan, the pair seen by many as making the best Caped Crusader film ever with 2005's Batman Begins. Box office comparisons between it and Dark Knight are pointless as Begins bowed on a Wednesday in June with a brand new cast and crew trying to reboot a franchise that was nearly killed by the prior installment, 1997's laughable Batman & Robin. Begins opened to $48.7M over three days and $72.9M over five days and found its way to a solid $205.3M rejuvenating the franchise in the process. This time around, the number of moviegoers willing to buy a ticket upfront will be significantly higher.

Joining Bale again are veteran actors Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman while new to the series are Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and the late Heath Ledger. Much has been said about Ledger's death and its impact on the film. Anticipation for the $180M-budgeted Dark Knight has only surged since the actor's tragic accident. If he had a less prominent role or played a more basic character it would be a different case. But the marketing of the pic before his death was already centered on the film's most high-profile new addition - The Joker and Ledger's bold and gritty interpretation of the iconic villain. Even those not usually excited about comic book flicks are snapping up advance tickets to see the last great performance of a talented Oscar-nominated actor. Males will always come out for these types of movies, but the Heath Ledger factor gives a great boost to female interest.

Despite odd promotional partnerships with companies like Domino's Pizza and Comcast, the overall marketing campaign has been absolutely brilliant and effective. Warner Bros. is pushing the film, but not overhyping it. In fact, with so much free publicity and fan buzz, the studio doesn't need to go gung ho here. And Ledger's performance has been in the spotlight just enough to create excitement, but not so much that it borders on exploitation. Reviews have also been glowing across the board and rival the high praise that Iron Man received at the summer kickoff point. Dark Knight stands a good chance of flying past the metal man's total box office to swipe the 2008 box office crown by summer's end giving DC Comics a rare victory over Marvel.

Thursday night's midnight shows, Friday's opening night shows, and all kinds of higher-priced IMAX showings have been selling out for some time now as multiplexes have added extra showtimes anywhere they can. Knight is the first major feature film to have portions shot using IMAX cameras with six action sequences totaling about 35 minutes projected in the large-screen format. The sequences cut back and forth between traditional letterbox and large IMAX shots, but given the darkness of most scenes moviegoers will hardly notice and especially enjoy the panoramic views of Gotham and Hong Kong. Advance ticket sales are among the highest ever recorded as fans do not want to be left out. Repeat business could even kick in during the weekend itself helping to swell the grosses.

The new Batman clocks in at 152 minutes which many think will hurt its chances of reaching record heights, but that will not be the case. The last two films to break the all-time opening weekend record also were about two-and-a-half hours in length with Dead Man's Chest at 150 minutes and Spider-Man 3 at 140. Studios and exhibitors compensated for the length by booking multiple screens every chance they could to make sure as many showtimes per day could be offered. This will be in play again this weekend with Knight.

As for comparisons, Chest is the best film to measure up to Dark Knight. Both are star-driven sequels with dizzying amounts of fan anticipation opening on a Friday in July with a two-and-a-half-hour length. July greatly differs from May (the month that eight of the top ten openings of all-time came from) in that there is more competition for films, screens, plus audience and media attention. The rest of the top ten grossed $27.4M when Spider-Man 3 debuted but $71.8M when Chest opened. Dark Knight will be in a tougher spot as the nine titles after it on the charts this weekend could absorb a whopping $100M or so. That's a lot of business that is pre-destined to go to non-Joker films this weekend. But July does benefit from stronger midweek grosses since students of all ages are out of school. Chest scored $60.4M during its first Monday-to-Thursday span, almost double the $31M for the third Spidey in early May.

One factor that could have a small impact is the Mamma Mia! debut. Nine of the ten blockbusters that have opened to more than $100M did so with either no new films debuting against it, or with only minor new titles facing it that grossed less than $4M. Clear sailing helps every subgroup of moviegoers focus on just one event film. And while the ABBA songfest is about as opposite of a film as you can get, there will be pockets of young and older women deciding to avoid the Bat-lines and see Meryl first, saving Heath's final performance for later.

Also likely to cause a minor dent is the darker nature of the film. Sales from younger children could be in jeopardy if parents find the film to be too scary. The Pirates pics, Harry Potter sagas, and Spider-Man tales, even the last one, promised lighter fare and more fun. Look at the top ten openings in box office history and all are more kid-friendly than Dark Knight which is essentially a comic book epic for grownups.

Still, Warner Bros. will need extra bank vaults to store the cash that's about to come rolling in for the must-see blockbuster of 2008. For the Friday-to-Sunday period, The Dark Knight might fly to the neighborhood of $132M.

Be sure to check back on Saturday and all next week for daily box office coverage on The Dark Knight.

Going to the 12:10 show I think.

Here's boxofficeguru.com's prediction:

The superhero sequel The Dark Knight and the musical Mamma Mia! debut head to head in what could a tight race for the number one spot. Or one film might open $100M higher than the other. Either way, the North American box office will soar to dizzying heights and become one of the highest-grossing weekends in movie history. The kidpic Space Chimps also enters the mix hoping to attract a few children, but overall multiplexes will be jam packed as the top ten films alone are set to generate well over $200M.

Riding a wave of anticipation not seen in some time, The Dark Knight arrives in theaters at midnight on Thursday night and is sure to explode with one of the largest openings in history. Warner Bros. is releasing the PG-13 film in a record 4,366 theaters (including 94 IMAX locations) with an estimated 9,200 total screens. The theater count inches past the 4,362 of last year's Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's Edge which used to be the widest opener in that category. As for total screens, Dark Knight's count is not as high as the 10,000 screens that Sony secured for Spider-Man 3 when it set the all-time opening weekend record in May 2007 with $151.3M, but it is higher than the 8,500 screens that the second biggest opener Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest locked in two years ago in July 2006 for its then-record $135.6M launch. Both megahits averaged between $15,000-16,000 per screen and between $32,000-36,000 per theater.

The new Batman saga reunites Christian Bale with director Christopher Nolan, the pair seen by many as making the best Caped Crusader film ever with 2005's Batman Begins. Box office comparisons between it and Dark Knight are pointless as Begins bowed on a Wednesday in June with a brand new cast and crew trying to reboot a franchise that was nearly killed by the prior installment, 1997's laughable Batman & Robin. Begins opened to $48.7M over three days and $72.9M over five days and found its way to a solid $205.3M rejuvenating the franchise in the process. This time around, the number of moviegoers willing to buy a ticket upfront will be significantly higher.

Joining Bale again are veteran actors Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman while new to the series are Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and the late Heath Ledger. Much has been said about Ledger's death and its impact on the film. Anticipation for the $180M-budgeted Dark Knight has only surged since the actor's tragic accident. If he had a less prominent role or played a more basic character it would be a different case. But the marketing of the pic before his death was already centered on the film's most high-profile new addition - The Joker and Ledger's bold and gritty interpretation of the iconic villain. Even those not usually excited about comic book flicks are snapping up advance tickets to see the last great performance of a talented Oscar-nominated actor. Males will always come out for these types of movies, but the Heath Ledger factor gives a great boost to female interest.

Despite odd promotional partnerships with companies like Domino's Pizza and Comcast, the overall marketing campaign has been absolutely brilliant and effective. Warner Bros. is pushing the film, but not overhyping it. In fact, with so much free publicity and fan buzz, the studio doesn't need to go gung ho here. And Ledger's performance has been in the spotlight just enough to create excitement, but not so much that it borders on exploitation. Reviews have also been glowing across the board and rival the high praise that Iron Man received at the summer kickoff point. Dark Knight stands a good chance of flying past the metal man's total box office to swipe the 2008 box office crown by summer's end giving DC Comics a rare victory over Marvel.

Thursday night's midnight shows, Friday's opening night shows, and all kinds of higher-priced IMAX showings have been selling out for some time now as multiplexes have added extra showtimes anywhere they can. Knight is the first major feature film to have portions shot using IMAX cameras with six action sequences totaling about 35 minutes projected in the large-screen format. The sequences cut back and forth between traditional letterbox and large IMAX shots, but given the darkness of most scenes moviegoers will hardly notice and especially enjoy the panoramic views of Gotham and Hong Kong. Advance ticket sales are among the highest ever recorded as fans do not want to be left out. Repeat business could even kick in during the weekend itself helping to swell the grosses.

The new Batman clocks in at 152 minutes which many think will hurt its chances of reaching record heights, but that will not be the case. The last two films to break the all-time opening weekend record also were about two-and-a-half hours in length with Dead Man's Chest at 150 minutes and Spider-Man 3 at 140. Studios and exhibitors compensated for the length by booking multiple screens every chance they could to make sure as many showtimes per day could be offered. This will be in play again this weekend with Knight.

As for comparisons, Chest is the best film to measure up to Dark Knight. Both are star-driven sequels with dizzying amounts of fan anticipation opening on a Friday in July with a two-and-a-half-hour length. July greatly differs from May (the month that eight of the top ten openings of all-time came from) in that there is more competition for films, screens, plus audience and media attention. The rest of the top ten grossed $27.4M when Spider-Man 3 debuted but $71.8M when Chest opened. Dark Knight will be in a tougher spot as the nine titles after it on the charts this weekend could absorb a whopping $100M or so. That's a lot of business that is pre-destined to go to non-Joker films this weekend. But July does benefit from stronger midweek grosses since students of all ages are out of school. Chest scored $60.4M during its first Monday-to-Thursday span, almost double the $31M for the third Spidey in early May.

One factor that could have a small impact is the Mamma Mia! debut. Nine of the ten blockbusters that have opened to more than $100M did so with either no new films debuting against it, or with only minor new titles facing it that grossed less than $4M. Clear sailing helps every subgroup of moviegoers focus on just one event film. And while the ABBA songfest is about as opposite of a film as you can get, there will be pockets of young and older women deciding to avoid the Bat-lines and see Meryl first, saving Heath's final performance for later.

Also likely to cause a minor dent is the darker nature of the film. Sales from younger children could be in jeopardy if parents find the film to be too scary. The Pirates pics, Harry Potter sagas, and Spider-Man tales, even the last one, promised lighter fare and more fun. Look at the top ten openings in box office history and all are more kid-friendly than Dark Knight which is essentially a comic book epic for grownups.

Still, Warner Bros. will need extra bank vaults to store the cash that's about to come rolling in for the must-see blockbuster of 2008. For the Friday-to-Sunday period, The Dark Knight might fly to the neighborhood of $132M.

Be sure to check back on Saturday and all next week for daily box office coverage on The Dark Knight.

That's a pretty good assessment, TDK will make huge money but has way too much stacked against it (other films, does't look like much of a kid's movie) to break any records.

Won tickets from a radio station and saw this last night. Fans of "The Long Halloween" and "The Killing Joke" won't be disappointed. I was wrong to doubt Ledger, he totally owns this entire movie as predicted since the trailer was released. Lots of innventive dark humor that pushes the PG-13 rating, as well as a great uneasy of feeling of helpless doom building throughout, easily the darkest superhero movie I can recall at the moment. One of the best action chase sequences I can recall as well. My only complaint is that Bale doesn't have enough to do but the movie really isn't about Batman though I don't want to spoil too much. Eric Roberts is great and has a bigger role than expected, a real nice surprise. Easily on par with Batman Begins though most will probably like this more.

As far as Friday goes....originally I was going to fandango my tix, but jesus christ it is playing on eight screens at the theater by my house, and so far tomorrow's midnight show only has one of the seven screens sold out. I think I will just play it by ear and call moviefone on Friday during work, and if I need to fandango tix during the day I will, I mean shit with a showing every 45 mins or so, i don't consider it that big a deal if I have to wait till the following showing.

Well yeah I better fandango my tix afterall because as of now, all seven midnight show screenings are sold the fuck out. Wow, either fandango is slow at updating their websites, or the theater got bumrushed with purchases this morning.

I think a 7:30 showtime sounds good for Friday.

EDIT: Umm, wtf....something is up with the fandango website, now it says tix available.....for almost all the midnight shows....wtf?

One of the local theatres has 5 screens for midnight showings and each are sold out. I'll be attending this movie on two seperate occasions tomorrow.

Won tickets from a radio station and saw this last night. Fans of "The Long Halloween" and "The Killing Joke" won't be disappointed. I was wrong to doubt Ledger, he totally owns this entire movie as predicted since the trailer was released. Lots of innventive dark humor that pushes the PG-13 rating, as well as a great uneasy of feeling of helpless doom building throughout, easily the darkest superhero movie I can recall at the moment. One of the best action chase sequences I can recall as well. My only complaint is that Bale doesn't have enough to do but the movie really isn't about Batman though I don't want to spoil too much. Eric Roberts is great and has a bigger role than expected, a real nice surprise. Easily on par with Batman Begins though most will probably like this more.

Well I stated my love for The Long Halloween a few days ago, so it looks like I'll love this movie. I thought the Killing Joke was good, though I don't like that the book seems to make the Joker a somewhat sympathetic character with the flashbacks, although he is still an extreme psychopath in that book. It kind of worries me that you said Bale doesn't have enough to do. Does this mean Batman is ignored in his own movie again? Thats the thing I hated about the previous series.

Well I stated my love for The Long Halloween a few days ago, so it looks like I'll love this movie. I thought the Killing Joke was good, though I don't like that the book seems to make the Joker a somewhat sympathetic character with the flashbacks, although he is still an extreme psychopath in that book. It kind of worries me that you said Bale doesn't have enough to do. Does this mean Batman is ignored in his own movie again? Thats the thing I hated about the previous series.

There is nothing sympathetic about this Joker and as stated in interviews he remains enigmatic, but his motivations and "plan" should ring a bell with those familiar with "The Killing Joke." Batman isn't ignored, but Bale the actor doesn't have enough to do; at least not as much as the first film.

Harvey Dent is the the main arc of the film

Bale isn't ignored and is still the definitive live action Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's just that compared to Begins which was 90% Batman, there is far more happening with other characters in TDK. Batman and Harvey Dent get equal screen time and the movie is all the stronger for it as their story arcs are closely linked. Gordon has a considerably expanded role, and the Joker, while onscreen less then Batman is absolutly mesmerising. TDK is a true ensemble piece.

Part of the reason why Batman get a lack of attention in reviews also has to do with the way Bale plays him. His Bruce Wayne (who has equal screen time with the Batman persona) really comes across as a joyless damaged man that is a mere embodiment for his overwhelming drive for justice. He plays it cocky when putting on the Playboy persona, and you see his intelligence when conversing with Fox and Alfred, but there is always a hint of sadness underneath. It's not as flashy as the work done by Ledger or Eckhardt, but at the same time it shouldn't be as it would detract from the film.

Bale isn't ignored and is still the definitive live action Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's just that compared to Begins which was 90% Batman, there is far more happening with other characters in TDK. Batman and Harvey Dent get equal screen time and the movie is all the stronger for it as their story arcs are closely linked. Gordon has a considerably expanded role, and the Joker, while onscreen less then Batman is absolutly mesmerising. TDK is a true ensemble piece.

Part of the reason why Batman get a lack of attention in reviews also has to do with the way Bale plays him. His Bruce Wayne (who has equal screen time with the Batman persona) really comes across as a joyless damaged man that is a mere embodiment for his overwhelming drive for justice. He plays it cocky when putting on the Playboy persona, and you see his intelligence when conversing with Fox and Alfred, but there is always a hint of sadness underneath. It's not as flashy as the work done by Ledger or Eckhardt, but at the same time it shouldn't be as it would detract from the film.

I agree with this. Well put.

Oh, ok. I got worried for a minute that Batman was reduced to being a supporting role, but it looks like this movie gives the heros (Batman/Gordon/Dent) a lot of screen time. I'm also glad to hear that the Joker isn't overexposed in this movie. The Batman/Gordon/Dent alliance from The Long Halloween was terrific, so I'm glad to hear that their story is being told on the big screen. Their conversations in that book was probably my favorite part.

Oh, ok. I got worried for a minute that Batman was reduced to being a supporting role, but it looks like this movie gives the heros (Batman/Gordon/Dent) a lot of screen time. I'm also glad to hear that the Joker isn't overexposed in this movie. The Batman/Gordon/Dent alliance from The Long Halloween was terrific, so I'm glad to hear that their story is being told on the big screen. Their conversations in that book was probably my favorite part.

Well you'll be very pleased by TDK. While the action is a step up from Begins, and the acting all top notch, it's the script that elevates this movie. Simple conversations steal this movie, the spectacle of the chase and fight scenes are secondary to watching the character's battle of wits as they banter with one another.

Well you'll be very pleased by TDK. While the action is a step up from Begins, and the acting all top notch, it's the script that elevates this movie. Simple conversations steal this movie, the spectacle of the chase and fight scenes are secondary to watching the character's battle of wits as they banter with one another.

:headbang:

One of the local theatres has 5 screens for midnight showings and each are sold out. I'll be attending this movie on two seperate occasions tomorrow.

Yeah here in Mankato (city of about only 35,000 people) they are showing it on six screens at one of the three theaters in town and each of the six midnight shows is completely sold out too. I'm sure they would have added more showings if they had anymore screens in the place. So needless to say, after thinking it wouldn't be an issue to get a couple tickets since I heard they were showing it on multiple screens at midnight, I won't be able to check it out tonight, but going to try to catch it one way or another Saturday or Sunday. Which means I might as well do a marathon of the past five films beforehand, since I have a little extra time to now. I bought the special edition box set back a few years ago, so finally will open that up.

For what its worth, no single movie has ever sold out of a midnight show here in town before, much less six screens. This is gonna be huge. Hell, Spiderman 3 was the closest I saw to a sell out, but it was still only on one screen here in town back then.

Consider also, the impact of the IMAX with the weekend numbers. Seeing it in the IMAX is essentially paying double price for it. And if those showings are completely selling out (and most IMAX theaters are very large capacity) for the first 3-4 days, much less longer, that's a hell of an extra take when you break it down.

I ended up getting into a midnight showing. It was simply amazing. To show just how big this was, that theatre that I mentioned earlier expanded from 5 screens to 8 screens about a couple hours prior to the 11:59 openings and every theatre sold out or reached near capacity. People chose to stand in the aisle or sit on the floor if they couldn't get a seat. I've never such a diverse crowd of people to one particular movie or event.

I had very high hopes for this, and it didn't just meet my expectations it easily surpassed them. Great performances, Ledger and Eckhart are the highlights but really everyone was very good in this, the action scenes were excellent, simply a great movie. Consider the hype lived up to.