TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I, for one, was quite disappointed. The first 40 or so minutes of the movie bored me to death, and having watched Batman Begins right before The Dark Knight, I can say for sure I enjoyed the former more. I enjoyed this movie, don't get me wrong..I just didn't LOVE it, and I won't be paying to see it again in theaters.

EDIT: But I do agree with everyone's sentiments on Ledger. He was fantastic.

What about it was it so boring?

I don't know exactly. I just didn't really get into the movie for atleast half an hour. I thought they showed The Joker too early (not that we don't know what he looks like, but there was no suspense or build-up to his first appearance), and I really don't like Bale's Batman voice, so that could have turned me off a little. It also probably didn't help that the sound in our theater was a little on the quieter side.

And regarding what Milky said about the hype, I really think that people are going so crazy about this movie because they WANT to think it's THAT good, but as time goes on people will stop endlessly praising it like they have been. Best comic book movie ever? Maybe. Probably. But one of the best movies of any kind, ever? No. I can't see it staying ranked so high (currently #4 on the IMDb Top 250). Only time (and another viewing, though not in theaters for me) will tell.

Don't have much to add, except that I saw it at an IMAX theater and it was frikkin' amazing.

That whole hospital scene was so good. Oh my gosh.

Two, there are people saying this is objectively the best movie ever made. I was with them in the theater last night, greasy haired dumplings with freshly purchased XL Heath Ledger shirts stretched taut over Rockstar filled guts, intoning the virtues of the Long Halloween. "That was, without question, the greatest achievement in the history of film." My theater had a hype man too, who said that in seven years of working in the "film industry" (read: at a movie theater), this was the best film he had ever seen "by far".

This is the best paragraph.

I guess I have nothing to add that hasn't been said by just about everyone else... This was my favorite movie in years and I'm not really a big comic book fan.

Joker leaving the hospital in the gown with the Vote Dent sticker on his apron was such a fucking amazing scene.

This movie can't even take the title of "Best super hero film ever", because the original Ninja Turtles takes that cake!

That's not true. Ninja Turtles 2 was soooo much better.

Im gonna type up some stuff later, but I have to say, whoever authorized the Smashing Pumpkins song that was used in Batman and Robin to be used in the Watchmen Trailer before the new Batman movie deserves a raise. I literally shouted out "ITS THE BATMAN AND ROBIN SONG!!!" and..then I think I heard crickets..not sure..but I was amused at least.

Also, who was the other person that died..I dont even remember the name now but it was "In memory of our friends Heath Ledger and ..so and so"

The crowd that stayed for the credits let out a giant sigh when that showed up.

I couldnt have been the only one that was totally annoyed by the Joker tongue thing..considering he did it sort of covertly early on and by the end of the movie he was practically sticking his tongue right out.

Edit: Im reading a couple fanboy of the comic reviews..Im not a big fan of the comic itself so I had no idea that there was a villian named

the Calculator

and that

Lau saying he's good at calculations and him being a manipulator like Calculator in the comics has people thinking hes set up for the next villian since he probably got away at the end

uh..huh

Anyone that would pay $100 to see it is a moron.

Oh, and at 2:55 I walked up and bought a ticket with no line. Theatre was half empty. I figured Id be standing in line for a ticket and fighting over seats..

This isn't the box office report for 7-18 to 7-20. This is just Starks saying hey Batman made a lot of money. The thread title should be re-edited.

Thanks for your contribution, mole!

Adjusted for inflation, TDK still wins

I guess I have nothing to add that hasn't been said by just about everyone else... This was my favorite movie in years and I'm not really a big comic book fan.

Joker leaving the hospital in the gown with the Vote Dent sticker on his apron was such a fucking amazing scene.

And him pressing the detonator button a couple of times because he was expecting more things to asplode.

Then when they do, he leaves happily.

I'll add that I really dug them showing the Joker early on, since in the case that people don't know who the Joker is they get a feel for his fun anarchy.

I'll edit in the fact that I was sitting next to two couples in their 70's, and one of the ladies made the best comment ever

went Dent was face down in the oil. "This won't end well, will it?"

. So the Joker's early entrance probably helped her get into the film a little better.

One complaint: the Two Face make up was too much. Not that was cartoony.

I actually thought that it was very well done. Looked realistic. Oh and Harvey Dent was probably my favorite character in the movie.

My town is a little college town that DIES in the summer. And there was a line for the 3:50 showing and was 65% full in the middle of the afternoon when most people were still at work, as I was leaving, the next showing had a line around the corner of the theater which wrapped around to the back. I shudder to think what the night time showings will do.

This isn't the box office report for 7-18 to 7-20. This is just Starks saying hey Batman made a lot of money. The thread title should be re-edited.

Thanks for your contribution, mole!

Adjusted for inflation, TDK still wins

Ha, I was just saying what you said there, but with a lot less words. Like, umm, who cares if it beat a Thursday night record? Show me Friday's numbers and we'll talk.

Just got back. I thought it was an awesome movie, except for the themes that it was trying to convey. They didn't seem like they got them through clearly enough, and I think the ending failed to come to a point or conclusion.

Overall, cool movie though.

Sucks they just went ahead and killed Two Face, though. I thought the make-up made him look like the Terminator, but it still looked pretty good.

One complaint: the Two Face make up was too much. Not that was cartoony.

I actually thought that it was very well done. Looked realistic. Oh and Harvey Dent was probably my favorite character in the movie.

Maybe realistic in a textbook sense, but when you have tendons and shit exposed, you pretty much can't go outside. And that's not even approaching the problem of not having an eyelid.

But if he wanted it overdone, he succeeded, I just kind of felt it didn't mesh well with the balance of realism the rest of the movie had going.

It was meant more to be an effect rather than keep in line with the realism of the movie. Willful suspension of disbelief, y'know?

Man oh man oh man. So I went to this with a bunch of friends (It was my best friend's birthday) and he bought the tickets for the 3:15 showing at The CineMagic Grand in South Portland a couple days ago and picked up the tickets yesterday. About 2:30, a huge motherfucking thunderstorm hits and knocks out the power at theater. Lucly, they told him that the tickets would be good at the other CineMagic 15 minutes away and I hadn't started heading over. So everything turned up Millhouse for us. We even got to see the movie five minutes earlier than we would have at the other theater. Theater was about 90% filled which is a huge audience for a 3:10 matinee on a Friday. After the movie, we came out and there was an even huger fucking thunderstorm with 60 MPH wind.

Enough of that boring backstory, now for my boring thoughts on the movie. I pretty much agree with everybody on here. Great great movie. Possibly the best superhero movie of all time. Yeah, the praise for it is a tad hyperbolic (Greatest movie I've ever seen? #3 on IMDb's #250? Uh...probably not) but if you have any passing interest in Batman, action movies, crime dramas, or thrillers, GO SEE THIS! Heath Ledger's performance lived up to the hype and I got to praise Aaron Eckhart who was also pretty amazing. Awesome ensemble cast too, great performances from top to bottom. I don't see movie audiences mark out that much at the theater but when

when The Joker did "the magic trick" with the pencil

they went BANANA!

It was meant more to be an effect rather than keep in line with the realism of the movie. Willful suspension of disbelief, y'know?

Smartass. A movie defines what limits it places on realism, and then stays within them, and I'm merely saying that this one effect stuck out among the established order. It coming up pretty late in the picture made this even more true.