TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Yes, the chaos of rabid dogs is a common theme for me, going back to Cujo, which Steve King wrote in a blackout, so I enjoyed that too.

Really, really loved this. I honestly bit the

Jim Gordon death hook line and sinker

. Probably the loudest ovation I've ever heard in a theater when

he was revealed to be alive

, to the point that I couldn't make out a single word of his line of dialogue there. The big chase through the tunnel was a tremendous setpiece.

I agree with some of the pacing flaws gtd pointed out earlier in the thread. It's the Joker's film, and anything that comes after him in it suffers by comparison. Ledger, Oldman, and Eckhart were off the charts good.

Like most people, I don't understand the decision to kill off Two-Face--if there's any character in the Batman universe who cries out to be spread across two films, it's him. I don't really see where this series can go from here without just being The Batman Supremacy/Identity/whatever.

Thank you, Anakin Flair, for Long Halloween (I read it already, but I needed it for someone else).

I really have a lot of money right now, for various reasons, and you know what? I'm going to this shit like every day. I work right next to a movie theater. I'm going until I get tired of it. My record for theatrical viewings is being broken. (Record is six, for Con Air)

I actually think that Poison Ivy would work on a level for this. Eco-terrorist that uses rare poisons from far fetched flora? It could work. Not the "I can control plants with my mind," but she could work very well in Nolan's universe of Batman.

More so that Mr. Freeze actually.

Yeah, Freeze I think is a little too far fetched. The closest real thing of his I could see is just a guy in a suit who has a gun that makes things cold...and even the gun is out there.

I just got back from it a few hours ago and it was a great movie. It isn't the greatest movie of all time (as per IMDB. But remember, I believe one of the LOTRs got the top spot after it came out for a little while) but it was still really good. Especially when a movie gets hyped to shit, I end up not liking it as much. However, this movie met my expectations, but didn't past it.

I trouble seeing Aaron Eckhart as Two Face before I saw the movie, but he was amazing. Though the makeup was a little too much. I mean, all that shit and NO drugs? Come on.

I'll write more later, but A-. I just felt it was building up too damn much but with a quick finish.

I pretty much never see a movie at the theater more than once but for this i'll probably make an exception, i can't possibly wait until it's out on DVD to see it again.

...wasn't that a boy?

There was another child that Mrs. Gordon was holding on in that scene.

I was wondering why they focused so much on Gordon's son when we all know that his daughter is the one that is effected by who Batman is and becomes Batgirl. If they actually had Barbara and not her brother being the "person that Gordon loves most in the world" and being held by a crazed Harvey and then realizing why her father had to chase Batman and her getting it what Batman is what Gotham needed, it would have been more poignant and set up future Batgirl.

...wasn't that a boy?

I was wondering why they focused so much on Gordon's son when we all know that his daughter is the one that is effected by who Batman is and becomes Batgirl. If they actually had Barbara and not her brother being the "person that Gordon loves most in the world" and being held by a crazed Harvey and then realizing why her father had to chase Batman and her getting it what Batman is what Gotham needed, it would have been more poignant and set up future Batgirl.

I think the girl was a big tease, Nolan was asked about the girl by MTV and with a big smile on his face he refused to give any info on what her name is or who she might be/become.

I thought they were doing the same thing with Detective Ramirez. I thought it was Montoya until they revealed her name at the end. In the new Gotham Knight movie she is even partnered with Crispus Allen so I assume they didn't want to tarnish Montoya so Nolan gave the character in the film a different name.

I dont think Nolan has any intention of doing Batgirl/Robin/Batdog/Catdog or any of the above.

I support said lack of intention.

...wasn't that a boy?

I think the girl was a big tease, Nolan was asked about the girl by MTV and with a big smile on his face he refused to give any info on what her name is or who she might be/become.

I thought they were doing the same thing with Detective Ramirez. I thought it was Montoya until they revealed her name at the end. In the new Gotham Knight movie she is even partnered with Crispus Allen so I assume they didn't want to tarnish Montoya so Nolan gave the character in the film a different name.

I'm still waiting for someone to call one of the cops "Bullet".

Harry from AICN brought up a really good point in his review in saying that Gary Oldman is completely invisible in this movie. As someone who was watching the Fifth Element the day before seeing TDK, I cannot believe that is the same person playing both roles. He was completely lost in it.

Also, the scene with

Tiny Lister throwing the detonator off the boat was fucking awesome.

There were many awesome scenes in this movie, I don't know where to begin.

I don't think Two-Face was wasted at all. If he was in the third movie, what would he do that would be interesting anyway? I mean they pretty much captured the essence and motivation of the character in this one movie. That's why Spider-Man 3 pissed me off so much. They had Brock become Venom at the end, yet they did nothing with the character, and then he was killed.

Come to think about it, I think this movie was made for people who hated Spider-Man 3.

In regards to Two face:

I am disappointed that they killed him off. They spent so much of the movie building up how great Harvey Dent was and I don't think they nearly scratched the surface in the opposite direction. Eckhart was fucking so amazing in that role that it kills me to not have him in the 3rd movie. But if you see him more as a plot device, the playing ground for Joker/Batmans battle rather than a pivotal character, then his death was fitting.

'Dark Knight' sets weekend record with $155.34M

By DAVID GERMAIN – 16 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Warner Bros. executive says the Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" has taken in $155.34 million to top "Spider-Man 3" for best opening weekend ever at the box office.

The figures released Sunday show "The Dark Knight" more than $4 million ahead of the $151.1 million first weekend for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007.

Studio distribution chief Dan Fellman says "The Dark Knight" also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

I've read the record for fastest getting to $200 million is 8 days (pirates of the carribean dead man chest)...so the TDK might be able to beat that too. Especially since there will be lots of repeat viewings and some people were waiting 2 or 3 days to go see it till the crowds cleared.

I was actually a little puzzled by a few things:

1. Is Harvey Dent really dead? They seemed to say he was and had the funeral and all, but I'm having a hard time with this. Two Face was just set up and they were just starting to get him into the psycho character, so why not see what he can do in the 3rd movie?

2. What happened to Lao? Did he just live and vanish from the last half hour? This is why I found the first part of the film kind of a nuisance, since I knew this guy wouldn't matter in the end.

3. No one has really mentioned this (or if so it's been pages ago and I forgot), but why did Batman save the Joker at every turn? Given all the crazy shit this guy did everyone in Gotham would have been better off if he had just let the psycho fall to his death. It seems like a curious change from the previous film when Batman let Ra's al Ghul die in the train crash and said "I won't kill you but I don't have to say you either." This is more of a judgement call though I guess.

4. What's up with Maroni at this point? Does he simply regain control of Gotham's underworld?