TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I dunno, I don't come in here much, so I guess I just underestimated the extent to which people still cared about Batman.

You can be such a dumbass sometimes.

Really, Czech can be so ignorant of mainstream popular culture sometimes. Not that that's a bad thing most of the time. 1/3rd of the commercials I saw last night on TV were either for The Dark Knight or a Dark Knight tie in. And I know this is off topic (but since this whole post is off topic...), but is their a bigger tie-in ripoff than The Gotham City Pizza that Domino's is shilling? It's just a pepperoni pizza in a new box. Big whoop.

Well yeah, not to mention the fact that Batman is like 70 fucking years old. Still cared about Batman? Yeah, I was blindsided that people still cared about that passing fad of rock and roll. I expected that to go out with talking pictures. I mean, who needs picture and sound?

Well yeah, not to mention the fact that Batman is like 70 fucking years old. Still cared about Batman? Yeah, I was blindsided that people still cared about that passing fad of rock and roll. I expected that to go out with talking pictures. I mean, who needs picture and sound?

Some people just want it all.

I love that look that the Joker gives Leahy.

"I wanna talk to Harvey, you know who he is? You know where I can find Haarvey? I wanna talk to him about somethin'. Just somethin, little, huh?...No."

So awesome.

Guest !!!

I just don't understand the fascination with film adaptations of comic books. I never really liked comic books all that much (I think I liked the idea of the X-Men, but never had more than two comic books), so I'm not particularly excited by any of this. There's already been a shitload of Batman movies (I think maybe I liked Batman Returns a little bit when I was six years old), and the old Adam West show made a mockery of the whole thing; what's left to do? What can possibly be redeeming about a Batman movie? It's just another dopey summer action movie. Might as well string together 700 posts about a shitty Jerry Bruckheimer film while we're at it.

Yeah, you're just... you're just out of it, man. You either get it or you don't... you obviously don't. That's ok, I'm not going to condemn you for it, but your opinions are wrong.

Guest !!!

I am out of my element. I haven't claimed to be anything else in here. I just can't understand it.

Maybe I can explain it. Christopher Nolan finally gave a faithful adaptation of a literary character (comic or not) in movie form. This series has solid actors, is faithful to the comics, and is still grounded in real life. Batman is one of the most recognizable characters in fictional history. This film has the Joker, one of the greatest fictional villains of all-time, and he will be depicted faithfully for the first time on film or television. What is not to get?

Your reasoning is similar to children that have never eaten a certain food before, but they state their disdain for it.

Guest !!!

I think you're playing fast and loose with the superlatives here, but that's just me. I just don't care for the last nine or so years of comic book movies. They do nothing for me. At least the X-Men were cool as a kid because they satisfied that weird part of my brain that likes to assign different attributes to each person and then memorize them and interconnect them (Mega Man villains accomplished the same thing, Pokemon did so for kids younger than I am). Batman and Superman are just kinda dopey.

And if you want to be technical, he's not even really a superhero. Just a rich dude with some cool shit. But these are the only Batman films that actually depict Batman the way that he is, not weird future Batman with nipples and six-pack abs on his costume.

Which superlative(s) do you not agree with? Do you not think Batman is one of the most recognizable fictional characters ever? Was it the Joker as villain superlative? Solid actors? Explain.

I dunno, I don't come in here much, so I guess I just underestimated the extent to which people still cared about Batman.

You can be such a dumbass sometimes.

I hated the Batman sequels after Batman Returns, and I never got into Batman: The Animated Series. I never saw Batman Begins, but I'm super fucking pumped for this movie.

You should check out Batman Begins before seeing this movie.

It was a pretty good theatrical experience back then and even on DVD the movie itself, it still holds up pretty well 3 years later, IMO.

Speaking of which, I might have to catch this one more time before I go see The Dark Knight.

Got it on DVD Saturday (bare bones, GHEY), but I'ma be force-feeding it to the better half until we see TDK.

How is Batman...dopey? Even counting in the lame 60's show, or the horrible original sequels (Returns I'll give you, because that's at least dark comedy, but the other two sequels are shyte), or even the lame new cartoon (THE Batman will never even touch Batman Beyond, let alone Batman: TAS), how is the character itself - a man who witnesses his parents murdered in cold blood, gets mentally unhinged from it, and then dedicates the rest of his life to fighting crime while also sacrificing any attempts at real happiness to do so - "dopey"?

Also, odd theory on Bale's acting regarding Bruce Wayne:

He's changing very little about the way he presents himself as Bruce Wayne than how he presented himself as Patrick Bateman. They're similar characters: both have to wear an invisible mask of normalcy, of conformity, when out during the day, hiding their true motives and desires simply to fit in and not draw attention. But then night falls, and they let their true side come out, which is when they get less controlled in behavior and much more primal/evil. Bateman is on the negative end of the spectrum, and Wayne is just beyond the middle towards the positive. It may sound kinda dumb, but it does really make sense as to why Bale was chosen for the role, and why he nails it out of the park.

Czech's main problem is that he's lumping this in with all comic book movies. Fantastic Four, Spider-Man 3, X3, and junk like that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as TDK unless it's to state how inferior they are to the latter.

Honestly, this isn't just any comic book movie adaptation. This is the second installment of a legendary comic book finally being done justice on the big screen. This isn't a lot of pretty CGI effects and colorful sets for the dummies and kiddies.

While I've enjoyed the clips I've seen, I'm going to stop watching them and actually leave something for the theater. It seems like every scene with the Joker has gotten leaked.

or even the lame new cartoon (THE Batman will never even touch Batman Beyond, let alone Batman: TAS

While I'll give it to you on that The Batman cant touch anything in the DCAU (maybe Static Shock), I will say that Season four is a good buy. There is only one episode in that season that I don’t care for (“The Everywhere Man”) and it also features the introduction of Robin ("A Matter of Family"), Harley Quinn ("Two of a Kind"), and Black Mask. Not to mention an episode that is heavily influenced by The Dark Knight Returns that features Nightwing and Oracle ("Artifacts"), Penguin forming a Injustice Gang ("Team Penguin"), and a two-part season finale with a team up with the Martian Manhunter ("The Joining"). Very good season from top to bottom.

I picked up Batman Begins on blu-ray today. A special feature on the disk includes the first 6 minutes of TDK. I am very tempted to watch it, but I kinda wanna wait until I see it on the big screen.

I am actually one of the few people out there that thought Batman Begins was just decent-to-good. However from what I have seen from TDK....I am still super-f'n pumped for it.

Tickets for the new Batman movie The Dark Knight are so in demand, movie theatres across America plan to open all night to accommodate filmgoers.

The film, which officially opens in the U.S. next week, has sparked a frenzy among American moviegoers, who want to catch a glimpse of Heath Ledger's highly-anticipated performance as The Joker as early as possible.

Some movie theatres across the U.S. have added 6am screenings for film fanatics who can't be accommodated at the earlier midnight and 3 am showings.

Online ticket vendor Fandango.com reports over 1,500 showings for The Dark Knight have been added to theatre rosters across America. In a recent survey, the website estimated 38 per cent of ticket buyers planned to take time off work to see the superhero flick.

Batman Begins, the series' last installment, earned over $200 million (GBP100 million) at the U.S. box office after opening in the summer of 2005.

imdb.com

$200 million dollar weekend here we come...

I know all the talk is about ledger getting an oscar nomination, but if its as good as everyone's saying it is, it could end up with a best picture or best director nod. I know the oscar people tend to prefer serious, more realistic films but if LOTR can get oscar wins in the big categories, and that's got elves and hobbits in it, I don't see how batman could be too far fetched for them. Take away the superhero element and its basically a crime drama about a vigilante.

I don't understand why anyone would get up to see it at 6am, or miss work for it...

God damn, wait a couple weeks to go see it. All the prints aren't going to suddenly go up in flames after opening weekend.

I just don't see how anyone can ever be that excited to see a movie, and I love movies.

I understand if it's your favourite band that is only going to be playing the one night, but the movie will be around forever! There's no need to panic and rush!

You'll have to avoid spoilers and given that this is a movie that people want to see for various reasons and will be discussing, it'd be slightly more difficult to avoid that then it was for movies such as Wall-E. I never been to one of these midnight/morning screenings but I've always heard it makes for a good crowd atmosphere.