TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fazzle

So I'll be going to my first ever concert on Wednesday

Friday afternoon, I won tickets from the radio station to the Tool concert in Winston Salem on Wednesday.

It'll be my first time ever at a concert. (not counting lame ass school concerts and/or beach music shit)

:headbang:

Taking Sarah, cause she's the biggest goddamn Tool fan that I know. She's one of those freaky uber-fans.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get the time off from work.

Shit, I wanted to see Tool when they come here in July. I was going to but the chick I'm getting close to probably can't go and her favorite band plays 4 days before her birthday. Instead of Tool I'll be taking her to Incubus...the sacrafices we make sometimes.

Damn... 24 years old and you've never been to a concert? That's crazy. At least you'll be seeing a great band that, from what I hear, puts on an amazing show.

I'm A) Cheap, and B) Too lazy to drive far for a band I want to see.

Great first concert to go to. Mine was Korn back in 1996. Since then I have been to at least one concert a year since. So far this year I am waiting for October to see Nightwish.

Im 25 and have yet to go to one, but my gf is dragging me (read: I bought the tix) to Sugarland at the Delaware State Fair on July 27th. She also wants to see the Goo Goo Dolls in Baltimore on July 16th but I probably cant get off to go.

At least it wasnt freaking Carrie Underwood.

You have not been to a concert before? I would advise that you purchase a hearing aid for afterwards in advance.

I remember my first concert; Weird Al Yankovic, Halloween Night '99. I was eleven years old and the female singer/songwriter opening act nearly got booed off stage. I guess eight year olds can't appreciate songs about the evil that men do.

Weird Al is an awesome concert. He comes out in costume for some of his songs too. I was surprised to see him wearing the Fat costume in 100degree weather...he's a dedicated entertainer.

I could ramble and rant on and on about how, on this and the last tour, even hardcore, balls-to-the-wall Tool fans ("pretentious idiots," as I believe they're called) said that they were bored considering most of the show was newer material, and I do believe I heard via my girlfriend that this current tour is just going to be the same as the last, so...drop acid, get wasted, and have a good time. That's all this pseudo-intellectual "progressive alternative" bullshit is good for anyway: a decent soundtrack when you're so fuck out of your skull that you don't know what the fuck is going on, time flies by, so the same note/generic riff sounds as good to you as, say, a solid groove cranked out by the late Dimebag Darrell Abbot.

My first concert was back in '99...saw the original lineup of KISS on their "farewell" tour. Good show...Ted Nugent and Skid Row (post Bach, of course) were the opening acts. It was a blast.

My first concert was at 15 and I remember that I wanted to go to a show so bad that I didn't care who was playing. That's why I saw Snocore 2002 and guess who was playing?

Alien Ant Farm, Adema (remember them?), Glassjaw, The Apex Theory and Earshot!

My first concert was Green Day in 1995. I saw them about two weeks after Insomniac was released. I NEVER thought I was witnessing a future Grammy Award Winning Band.

As others have said, Weird Al puts on a great show. Lots of fun.

As far as Tool goes, for your sake, I hope Maynard decides to wear pants.

Guest Vitamin X

My first concert was RATM's last before this year, way back in, I believe it was... 1999? It was their show at the Great Western Forum in L.A.. Fun stuff.

My first concert was Meat Loaf back when I was 8. I went to a bunch of concerts from when I was 8-11, but then I started getting some anxiety issues when around big groups of people so I kinda lost interest in going to them. But it looks like me and the better half are going to a Dir En Grey concert next week, so I guess I'm breaking the 10 year concert dry spell

I could ramble and rant on and on about how, on this and the last tour, even hardcore, balls-to-the-wall Tool fans ("pretentious idiots," as I believe they're called) said that they were bored considering most of the show was newer material, and I do believe I heard via my girlfriend that this current tour is just going to be the same as the last, so...drop acid, get wasted, and have a good time. That's all this pseudo-intellectual "progressive alternative" bullshit is good for anyway: a decent soundtrack when you're so fuck out of your skull that you don't know what the fuck is going on, time flies by, so the same note/generic riff sounds as good to you as, say, a solid groove cranked out by the late Dimebag Darrell Abbot.

You sound more pretentious here than most of these Tool fans do.

First concert was the Pixies reunion tour a couple of years back. Fucking awesome. Since then I've just seen a bunch of indie bands that have travelled through Montreal.

So, yeah, last night's show was awesome.

The person I went with said that the DC show she went to was better, but she still loved it.

The only bad part was the drive back. I didn't fucking get home until 4 AM(and had been up since 6 AM that morning)

final price tally:

Tickets: free

Gas: $10

Drugs: free

Food: $12

So, yeah, overall, I'd say it was well worth the $22.

Although, the opening band fucking SUCKED ASS. I think they were called Banana. It was fucking chipmunks on speed.

From what they played, all their songs sounded the exact same to me.

We got about a 30 minute set, and it was basically "ok, let's play the same three chords again.........but faster this time! awesome! new song!"

You said you could barely hear the singer. Maybe they were having sound problems.

Anyway, MB's earlier stuff is more or less how you described it, which is why I can't stand them for more than 10 minutes. Their later material actually fleshes things out, but I'm still not a big fan.