TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest flairfan

July WWE 24/7 Discussion

Clarence Mason mainly just stopped managing Bulldog/Owen because he served no purpose in their storyline. I don't think there was ever a storyline reason for it, not even "he sold their contracts to so and so." The amusing irony is that Owen was a pseudo member of the NOD a year before he joined for real due to the brief Mason/NOD connection.

And yes, Sting/Koloff was a really boring and awful match. But it's from the 1991 GAB, so it's not like it can be expected to be good or anything. A part of me wishes they would show that PPV at some point, just so I can experience the total nightmare.

Wasn't the story something along the lines of Jim Cornette accusing Clarence Mason of trying to steal his talent behind his back during the Summer of 1996 when Cornette was busy with Vader, and then fired him as his lawyer or something along those lines, leading Cornette to return to managing Owen and the Bulldog?

I don't recall Cornette managing Bulldog/Owen after Mason pulled his con job and stole their contracts out from under Cornette. I forget why but Cornette was nearly unconscious and Mason made him sign some papers. Mason stayed with Bulldog/Owen for a while until their own dissention storyline started taking shape and Mason drifted more into the NOD full time. However, since he never gave up control of their contracts he may well have been their manager even during the Hart Foundation angle, but this was never really delved into in any way. It was either:

1. Mason was in fact still their manager offscreen, but made no sense being with them onscreen since he was with the Nation.

2. Upon joining the Hart Foundation Bret got them to buy out Mason and be their own men again.

3. This angle was simply dropped.

It's too bad SSeries 93 doesn't contain a video recap of Undertaker joining the All-Americans by revealing an American Flag design on the inside of his trenchcoat.

I remember seeing that moment from Superstars. Was sorta surprised that Undertaker had version of the flag inside his coat. If anybody has a video of that, I'd like to see it again.

I have twice tried to watch the Foreign Fanatics vs The All Americans and twice fallen asleep. I love how Rick Steiner gets pinned off of a botched spot though.

As a child, my brother was watching this match from my PPV tape late one night and wound up cutting some of his hair with a pair of household scissors. I'm not sure if the two were directly related.

WWE 24/7 Online dished out the 2nd update of July. Everything Venkman noted is on it. The History of the Intercontinental Title looks to be a multi-part feature as the 1st ep goes at about 45min and has the following in full:

- Patterson vs Denucci - 12/17/1979

- Patterson vs Patera - 4/21/1980

- Morales vs Slaughter - 6/8/1981

The Muraco/Santana IC Title era will be featured in Part II. I mean Jack Korpela (Heat fill in guy) wouldn't steer me wrong, would he?

On Clarence Mason...I specifically remember after a match on either RAW or Superstars, Bulldog got mad at Mason and fired him, which pissed off Owen Hart. This was before the formation of the Hart Foundation stable.

I watched Hulkamania Forever this evening, that was GREAT. Things got off on the right foot by showing an action figure commercial followed by a match called by the commentary dream team of Tony Schiavonie and Alfred Hayes. As Bruiser mentioned, Hogan just decided to beat up Sherri in an interesting site. Liz's hair also looks weird (curly in the back). It took some adjusting too but by the end of the match I approved.

Genius vs Hogan is awesome. I could not stop laughing when Poffo went outside the ring to do calculations.

Always fun to watch the pre-Mania VI promos from Hogan and Warrior.

I love how in the Suburban Commando piece (which as someone previously mentioned has Gene saying WWF unmuted not 3 seconds after Hogan is muted) they keep referring to Shelly Duvall as "Popeye's Shelly Duvall".

And it's not like Popeye was a huge hit when it came out.

Speaking of Suburban Commando, an acquaintence of mine recently met Hulk Hogan at a TGI Fridays in St. Louis and asked him about the movie and Hogan told him that Christopher Lloyd used to smoke a lot of pot before every scene. I guess he either needed it to get through that crappy movie (understandable) or was more like his character on Taxi than I previously thought.

There's probably too many rights issues to ever bother, but it would be neat if 24/7 had the odd wrestling related movie available.

"This month on WWE 24/7 in the Legends sectio: "Bodyslam" featuring Roddy Piper". That would rock.

There's probably too many rights issues to ever bother, but it would be neat if 24/7 had the odd wrestling related movie available.

I don't know...didn't the WWF have a hand in producing the first couple Hogan movies (No Holds Barred and Suburban Commando IIRC)? And I doubt the studio would charge them that much to show them.

Not to mention the cast on Earl Hebner's hand in the Randy Savage Vs. Hulk Hogan match on Hulkamania Forever.

I know Hebner had a cast on in that match, but what the hell are you talking about?

Not to mention the cast on Earl Hebner's hand in the Randy Savage Vs. Hulk Hogan match on Hulkamania Forever.

I know Hebner had a cast on in that match, but what the hell are you talking about?

People were talking about that video in the Legends section, and I added my two cents in. I should have quoted probably, but I figured people would get the idea. Apparently not.

i think we get a new MNW, should be interesting if they keep cutting Benoit footage because he wrestles on this Nitro with Roadblock, and a new Old School card, Prime Time Wrestling, 2 new Dusty matches and i am not sure what else

New ECW, Monday Night Wars, Prime Time Wrestling, two Dusty Rhodes matches and a house show from the Philadelphia Spectrum. Prime Time has the Steamboat/Honky Tonk Man title change. Monday Night Wars has the Sid/Bret Hart title change.

now this is odd, here's what it reads on my MNW preview Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, CHRIS BENOIT, Eddie Guerrero and The Giant in action

I too have Chris Benoit in my MNW preview. I didn't checked if he was on Nitro though.

Maybe they will keep showing Benoit if he's part of a big match or main-event like, let's say, a 6-man tag with the Horsemen vs the nWo or if he's part of a wild brawl to close the show. Benoit will be there if they can't erase him without completely screwing up the show, the matches and promos that are meaningless won't be shown since they want keep his presence to a minimum.

....Or maybe it's just a screw-up that willl be taken care of in a few hours and Benoit was never on the show to begin with.

Yeah I am also very interested in seeing if that Nitro does in fact have Benoit on it. Since he's just facing Roadblock they might could cut that without attracting much attention.

I watched that Dusty 6 man vs. the Horsemen and the heat for that match was just nuclear.

Guest uruloke

Has anyone with Charter received their updates? Usually i get updated early in the morning, but i have yet to get anything new.

But what two cents was that? I guess I don't understand what specifically you're connecting "not to mention the cast..." to.

People were talking about crazy things in the match, and I added that in.

Raw was awesome (possibly just for nostalgia). Nitro... not so much.

That was a historic Raw as I believe it was the first time WCW was acknowledged by name (plus, you know, the world title change). Heyman's phone call was great. I was amused by Lawler finding the idea of Sandman being unworthy to appear on Raw considering where he is 10 years later.

What about The Great American Bash 1990?

my guess would be it'll show up tonight or tommorow

What is with the bizarre hard on they have for showing GAB 1990 every year? I know it has Mean Mark on it and is a pretty fun PPV, but can't they show something else? I'd like to see GAB 92 with Sting/Vader and the NWA tag tourney, since I've never seen that show.

What the heck is it with matches with the Shadows so epic that they need commercial breaks?

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the rollup was going to be the finish, but suddenly we're at a break. After three months of 24/7, I've noticed PTW from this era has an odd bias towards some really terrible wrestlers. Seems like the Shadows, Kirchner, and Frenchy Martin are on all the time.

The Shadows are vanilla at best, so I don't know why it seems like they never had a match under 10 minutes. The Can-Am Connection's fun to watch, though. Too bad Zenk bailed because these guys were way over and gelled together, whereas Strike Force never really clicked. I'd never seen a spot like the one where Zenk protected Martel from the whip to the corner by lying across the top turnbuckle to soften the blow.

On an unrelated note, this may be the fastest Bobby Heenan's ever gotten Monsoon to break.

Guest Brett Wolverton
What the heck is it with matches with the Shadows so epic that they need commercial breaks?

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the rollup was going to be the finish, but suddenly we're at a break. After three months of 24/7, I've noticed PTW from this era has an odd bias towards some really terrible wrestlers. Seems like the Shadows, Kirchner, and Frenchy Martin are on all the time.

The Shadows are vanilla at best, so I don't know why it seems like they never had a match under 10 minutes. The Can-Am Connection's fun to watch, though. Too bad Zenk bailed because these guys were way over and gelled together, whereas Strike Force never really clicked. I'd never seen a spot like the one where Zenk protected Martel from the whip to the corner by lying across the top turnbuckle to soften the blow.

On an unrelated note, this may be the fastest Bobby Heenan's ever gotten Monsoon to break.

Actually, that spot in the corner happened in the Shadow's matches with Paul Roma & Jim Powers on a couple of Prime Times a few weeks back.

Also, the Heavenly Bodies and the Rock n Roll Express did the same spot move-for-move on both SuperBrawl III and Survivor Series '93. What I found funny is that on Survivor Series '93, the cameras didn't pick up Morton kicking the Heavenly Body that had tried to protect his partner and on this Prime Time, it missed Zenk doing it to one of the Shadows also. You'd think 7 years later, they'd know the spot.