TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest flairfan

July WWE 24/7 Discussion

Haha, I saw those prices too. $1.24 baby!

I watched the MNW show tonight. I'd say Raw was definitely better, with the hilarious stuff of Austin attacking Bret and Sid constantly and all that. Anyone else find it strange the way UT was just suddenly the #1 contender. Was it because he finished 2nd in the Final Four match?

Nitro had the notorious Piper in Alcatraz bit. I seem to recall that being one of the main things that sorta turned me off from WCW and back to watching Raw again.

I like how MNW is correcting my memory of some things. Like you said, they just randomly said "Oh yeah, Undertaekr is facing the champion at our biggest show of the year with no build at all!". In my memory, Sid was champion and told Bret and Shawn he beat them both so Undertaker came out to challenge him, but I saw that actually happened WEEKS prior now.

FYI, check the sunflower site, they added the August schedule. WrestleFest 88! Junkyard Battle Royal!

oh man, THAT episode is on right now...I need to start paying attention to 24/7 again! I loved how Austin kept fucking tthe matches up all night. So the NEXT MNW should feature Bret's meltdown, no? Scripted or not, that was classic! God I loved Raw in 97!

Not quite, but almost.

Next Raw: ECW Invasion while half the roster is out of the country.

Raw after that: Germany Raw (featuring Owen Hart vs Bulldog's awesome European title match).

So, maybe after that.

THAT'S right...thanks for the memory refresher Dr.V.

I forget, why did HBK give up the belt...the REAL reason? He just didn't want to do the job to Bret? Was he really hurt but not so hurt that he couldn't work WM?

I haven't seen that Wrestlefest show since I rented it in roughly 1988 or 89. But what I'm more excited about is that 1-1-83 World Class show, since I'm assuming that is the one with Flair vs. Kerry on it with the notorious Hayes heel turn that sets off the Von Erichs vs. Freebirds rivalry.

I'm trying to remember when Bret went ballistic. The next show is the ECW "invasion" show that they have shown on 24/7 in the past, then after that is the overseas show with Bulldog/Owen (which I am intensely looking forward to since I was flooded out over the weekend in March 1997 and didn't see that Raw). It seems like Bret went nuts after some cage match where he was screwed over yet again, maybe it was a Sid rematch?

It's wild as to how my memory of these things is different from the shows. For instance watching these shows originally I just thought of Sid as a heel, but watching them now on 24/7 I notice he really was over with the crowd and played to the crowd, acted like a face most of the time. Then of course he would hit Jose Lothario with a camera and go insane. It's like there are new layers that reveal themselves with time.

"Frustrated isn't the word for it! This is bullshit!"

I believe Austin came out and slammed Bret in the head with the cage door, allowing Sid to escape. UT got in the mix too, I think he came out to ight Austin off...shit, I jusst plain can't remember!

EDIT: I'm way wrong...Austin came out to HELP him win so that their WM13 match could be for the title...UT came out and prevented it so that he can sstill have the title shot against Sid. Which doesn't make sense, since he's the #1 contender anyway, he'd face either man.

I loved Bret's heel turn speech and the following ass kicking on HBK. One of the best turns I've ever seen...slow build, the turning point, the ensuing speech and then full blown heelish antics. Nothing non-sensical at all about it. Soon we'll get one of my favorite visuals, HBK superkicking Bret back in to his wheelchair and the whole thing tipping over.

I believe Austin came out and slammed Bret in the head with the cage door, allowing Sid to escape. UT got in the mix too, I think he came out to ight Austin off...shit, I jusst plain can't remember!

EDIT: I'm way wrong...Austin came out to HELP him win so that their WM13 match could be for the title...UT came out and prevented it so that he can sstill have the title shot against Sid. Which doesn't make sense, since he's the #1 contender anyway, he'd face either man.

No, they made it very clear on Raw that night that if Bret walked out with the title, that it would be Bret-Austin at WM for the title.

I never worry about that type of angle, i.e. "If there is a title change such and such match is for the title (Bret/Austin), and so and so is screwed (UT). I figure that maybe it's up in the air booking wise to the wrestlers (in storyline terms) and that they are looking to protect their spot on the PPV.

Yet again I have to comment the following: Isn't WCW's 83 week streak incredibly overrated? Given how passionately most of us here enjoyed these Raw shows from 1997 it's obvious that Nitro was hardly the better show for quite a few of those 83 weeks.

WCW pushed way too many dead weight wrestlers...and then they went to thrre hours...oy! When guys like Hugh Morris are getting matches on anything other than Saturday Night, you know someone's not doing a great job booking. Plus, the NWO started getting really boring when they started getting oversaturated with all sorts of worthless guys like Norton, Rotundo, Bubba, Bagwell, etc. Sting's looooooong non-wrestling stretch really killed it as well.

Yeah, Sting waiting in the rafters for six months was something that seemed really cool to me as an 11 year old mark but now it just seemed really overdrawn and dull. AND HE DIDN'T EVEN BEAT HOGAN CLEANLY WHEN HE CAME BACK!

Lushus hit upon something that puzzles me with these WCW shows. They will toss virtually anyone onto Nitro with no real reason just to have a match. That was okay with Saturday Night, which was at that point mainly filler, but when you see a Raw where every segment has a point and furthers an angle it is a bit strange to see some random jobber match on Nitro.

Lushus hit upon something that puzzles me with these WCW shows. They will toss virtually anyone onto Nitro with no real reason just to have a match. That was okay with Saturday Night, which was at that point mainly filler, but when you see a Raw where every segment has a point and furthers an angle it is a bit strange to see some random jobber match on Nitro.

And the three hour Nitros haven't started being shown yet on 24/7, right? I have no problem with using a jobber match to fill out a three hour show but there's no excuse to have jobber matches on two hour shows.

And the three hour Nitros haven't started being shown yet on 24/7, right? I have no problem with using a jobber match to fill out a three hour show but there's no excuse to have jobber matches on two hour shows.

i agree the more i look at it, what point did Regal/Prince Iaukea really have

i agree the more i look at it, what point did Regal/Prince Iaukea really have

It was their take on Rock beating HHH for the IC title. I have no idea why WCW would bother copying Raw's ideas at this point - especially that one - but that's what it looked like 10 years ago and what it looks like today.

I'd prefer them to keep going in order with PTW. I'm interested in seeing the hype for stuff like the first Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, etc. Plus, it's not like the quality of the programs get better in 1989.

Looking over the schedule a bit more closely, I see things are spaced out next month so there's only one TNT, one Primetime (hype for SummerSlam 89), and 3 weeks between MNWs. Then I noticed the week MNW would normally have been there (instead of the following week), it's the last Raw before SummerSlam 97 which is cool.

Is this the first cycle of the TNT series? I ask because it's got less than a year of shows left, so I'm wondering if it goes back to the beginning or they start showing a different series. I hope the latter, because TNT may be the worst show the company ever put out. I enjoy the novelty of seeing guys like Mike Sharpe and SD Jones get interviewed, but there's almost nothing worth watching again on these shows. Something like old Wrestling Challenge or Superstars would be great, especially since these are the shows where most story developments happened during the 1980s.

Is this the first cycle of the TNT series? I ask because it's got less than a year of shows left, so I'm wondering if it goes back to the beginning or they start showing a different series. I hope the latter, because TNT may be the worst show the company ever put out. I enjoy the novelty of seeing guys like Mike Sharpe and SD Jones get interviewed, but there's almost nothing worth watching again on these shows. Something like old Wrestling Challenge or Superstars would be great, especially since these are the shows where most story developments happened during the 1980s.

yea thats something i've brought up before that after TNT runs its course they should throw Wrestling Challenge or Superstars to where it starts the show about where Primetime Wrestling is, did Wrestling Challenge and Superstars run at the same time or did Wrestling Challenge start and Superstars came along a couple years later

WWF Superstars and WWF Challenge began at the same time in 1986, I believe.

i think once TNT runs its course they should run Superstars and Wrestling Challenge as a combo on 24/7 much how Raw and Nitro are