TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest flairfan

July WWE 24/7 Discussion

24/7 Online has the schedule for July 15th up. Are you ready for these gems?

- Candice vs Torrie - WrestleMania 22

- Sable vs Torrie - GAB 2004

- Bra and Panties Gauntlet Match - New Year's Revolution 2006

- Trish vs Terri - Lingere Match (June 3/2002 - Raw)

- JR's Pick of the Month: HBK vs Vince - Mania 22

- Wrestling Families DVD Preview - Rock's Family

- Kennedy vs Batista - GAB 2006

- "The History Of..." Premier episode of a monthly feature about the history of WWE Championships. This month - IC title.

- Andre vs Studd - WrestleMania 1

- Austin vs Booker T - Green Frog Grocery Fight

I hope they leave the clip of Booker callin himself the Bingo Man in (or maybe it was Bingo King, I can't remember) but it was good stuff hearing the future king talk smack to a bunch of 70 year old women.

I am looking forward to the IC Title special. Hopefully, they throw some full matches on there and not just graze over it w/ a few clips and a sendoff.

I finally got around to GAB 88 tonight and good god if that show isn't exactly the stuff that pissed me off to no end as a kid watching wrestling. The actual work on the show is very good, but the booking is enough to make someone swear off wrestling forever. The Horsemen were getting annoying and stale as shit by mid 1988 and I still don't understand the NWA's reluctance to job some of them to the faces to send a crowd home happy. In fact I can't think of a face win on the show aside from the ridiculous Tower of Doom match. Otherwise we had:

--Tully/Arn vs. Sting/Nikita, time limit draw. I wouldn't have a problem with this normally but the show needed a better finish to an opener than Sting having Blanchard in the Scorpion as time expired. Who books a time limit draw as an opener anyway? Besides Dusty.

--The Midnights beat the Fantastics even though Cornette was in a straight jacket high above the ring inside a cage. What a way to make the Fantastics look like jobbers.

--In the US title match we have a nonsensical Ronnie Garvin heel turn on Dusty Rhodes to cost him the match with Windham. Did this really go anywhere?

--And of course the grand finale, Lex Luger having Flair beat in the Torture Rack when the MD commission stops the match due to Luger's ultra weak bladejob.

Is it any wonder Crockett went under shortly after this PPV and had to sell the company to Turner?

Has anyone had trouble with 24/7 updating this last week? I lost all the stuff that was set to expire, but don't have anything new with the exception of ECW (no Dusty AWA Tag Team Match, Bunkhouse Stampede, Monday Night War 2/10/97, or WWE Prime Time 6/17/87).

FWIW, I have Comcast in Pittsburgh.

The most important question anyone should be asking about WWE 24/7 right now is...

...will they leave in Mean Gene's slip-up from Summer Slam 89? :P

what are you referring to zappafrank, i have never seen Summerslam 89

It makes perfect sense really that they are showing SummerSlam 1989 and SummerSlam 1997 next month, because those both took place at The Meadowlands, just like SummerSlam 2007.

I've got Survivor Series '93, Hogan/Slaughter, Duggan/Slaughter, TNT, Hulkamania Forever, and some other stuff. For whatever reason, it looks like we've been blessed with having the MSG card for THREE weeks.

I skimmed through SS '93 and I'll repeat: this is a must-watch for Heenan fans. The man's in rare form here, especially during the Family Feud match. Everything he says is at least amusing, which isn't easy with McMahon as usual failing to play the set-up man and Ray Combs being absolutely lost.

"Did you see Stu just yelled over to Helen, 'Helen, I'm damp. What does that mean?'"

I briefly checked out Slaughter vs Duggan in the Shorites section. I can't believe THAT was a WWF Title match at a MSG house show. I'll be watching the Austin/Hart 6 man tag when I get home from work.

Does no one check the Sunflower schedule or expirary dates? The MSG show still being there is no shock. I should check to see if Cogeco has the right show yet though (it says MSG but is really the Philly show scheduled for next week, highlighted by a "Ric Flair - the Real Heavyweight Champion" sign during the main event.

Not surprisingly, no Malenko vs Benoit shorty.

Cogeco here never put Mania 23 up (which made them two in a row in skipping the showing of recent PPVs as they never showed NWO 07) but to systems that did get it, did they give it an extra week due to it being taken down? I ask because Backlash was originally supposed to be up today and I'm just wondering if Cogeco is going for 3 in a row or it just didn't get put up (Bruiser didn't mention it so I'm guessing it didn't go up for anyone).

i didnt get Backlash 2007 either, but got everything else i need to watch the ECW show and TNT today

Guest uruloke

I didnt get Backlash either, and I also didnt get part 2 of the survivor series 1993. I have Charter.

Plus it'd be a BITCH to fast-forward through the whole thing. I dislike having to fast-forward even after they've been split up.

Everyone should watch Hulkamania Forever. Hogan SLAMS Sherri's face into the apron not once, but twice.

I watched Survivor Series 93 tonight for the first time since renting it shortly after the show first came out on tape. It was a pretty fun show and the level of work on it showed how much crisper guys are during that era since they weren't juiced to the max. The opener was a fun match though I have no idea how IRS was the capt. of a team or why Diesel was somehow on his team instead of with HBK. I know Michaels was thrown into Lawler's spot due to The King's legal trouble over possibly banging some 13 year old here in Louisville (which was later dropped, so I'll give Lawler the benefit of the doubt but given what we know about him now it wouldn't shock me if this was true).

RNR vs. Heavenly Bodies was a fantastic match. I thought the Bodies sucked really bad at the time but man I think I may have been wrong. They busted out a Death Sentence in that match...in 1993!

The "Doinks" vs. Bigelow and Co. was truly bizarre. Someone had to have been on crack when they booked that match. Men on a Mission dressed up as Doinks, Bushwhackers as Doinks...just really deranged stuff.

The main event was interesting but likely the weakest of the serious matches. Luger's push had already jumped the shark by this point, as UT was easily outpopping him as the crowd was dying to see Taker get his hands on Yokozuna and didn't really care so much about Luger. The whole Americans vs. Foreign Fanatics angle was silly since it was 1993 for god's sake. The USA's hatred of Japan had waned by this point obviously, and besides Yoko wasn't even Japanese. They were trying even then to make people loathe French Canadian heels, but I don't think anyone exactly wanted the Quebecers heads on a platter due to their nationality. And Ludvig Borga: Finnish heel. WTF? How did anyone think this could ever get over? Hell, Finland hates Russia big time so really is Borga all THAT much of a heel? Shouldn't he be an ally? It didn't help that Borga was quite possibly the worst wrestler on the PPV (aside from the non Bigelow guys in the comedy match).

I did enjoy the PPV. It was fun seeing it again.

And here I thought you were gonna recommend Hulkamania Forever to have everyone see The Genius get the duke over The Immortal One.

I was going to mention that, but didn't want to overshadow him slamming a woman's face into the apron multiple times. But yes, that's a great, often overlooked match. The way Poffo is able to get under the skin of not only Hogan, but McMahon, simply by his gymnastic approach to simple things, is fabulous.

The opener was a fun match though I have no idea how IRS was the capt. of a team or why Diesel was somehow on his team instead of with HBK

He was being prepped to feud with Razor, with the seeds being planted during the match. If you'll recall, IRS would go on to steal Razor's gold within weeks of this, setting up their match at the '94 Rumble.

Jerry Lawler was originally the captain of the Knights team, but due to that scandal, was dropped and Shawn was quickly plugged into the match. Even though this match had been set up by months and months of Bret/Lawler, they used Shawn's meeting with Bret the previous year as the motivation for Shawn's involvement. Shawn had actually quit the company prior to this, but was brought back for this show. That seems like reason enough to have Diesel there and Shawn elsewhere.

The "Doinks" vs. Bigelow and Co. was truly bizarre. Someone had to have been on crack when they booked that match. Men on a Mission dressed up as Doinks, Bushwhackers as Doinks...just really deranged stuff.

This is my brother's favorite Survivor Series, so he came over today and had time to watch one match. Since I was midway through Part 1 and he was pressed for time, this was the match we wound up watching. Just awful. Nothing makes sense and it really made everyone on Bam's team look like jokes. Not that Booger wasn't already a joke. Speaking of Booger, we have the proud honor of having him be the only notable wrestler to ever come out of my home city. Yay.

Luger was sooooo stale here. Him not winning the title at Summerslam made me lose all interest in the guy and looking back, his gimmick is so incredibly cheesy. How about that greeting from his family to open the show?

I remember a friend of mine was so mad when old man Savage pinned Diesel (he was a big Diesel fan). As Bruiser explained, this was (I believe) Shawn's first match back since his brief fallout with the Fed so he and Diesel weren't linked back up yet. Popular rumour also suggests Diesel was on his way out the door but got over at the 94 Rumble.

I don't think we had Raw in Canada yet by this time and to this day I have no idea what the story behind Monsoon and Heenan is. Did Heenan do something especially dastardly to make him fear Monsoon (and eventually get thrown out of a Raw taping / the WWF) or was the idea just that years of arguments between them got Monsoon to his breaking point?

I enjoyed that 6 man flag match in Shorties, it was a nice taste of the hot Canadian Raws that are upcoming on MNW.