TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

Ted Dibiase responds to what Meltzer said about him in his rant about the business after Kennedy's post.....

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original..._21291905.shtml

Ted Dibiase On Dave Meltzer Claim, Chris Benoit, Steroids & The WWE

By Ted Dibiase

Jul 13, 2007

The Chris Benoit tragedy has put the WWE, Vince McMahon, steroids and wrestling under a microscope. Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer is opinionated and maintains a website where he shares his views. Meltzer has called out Ted Dibiase, suggesting that he's just towing the company line.

Dave Meltzer writes: "After writing the past week about how sad it is to see people more concerned with protecting the business, which keeps a deadly status quo, than offering suggestions on how things can improve, we get www.ken-kennedy.com This business divisiveness of people "choosing sides" as opposed to working for improvements is outright pathetic. Not surprising, but sad. When you read this, you'll realize that unless it comes from the outside, nothing will ever change. Every wrestler on top at 30 has this attitude, and when they are on the scrap heap at 45, they have a very different view (unless they have a child wanting a job, in which case they toe the line, as witnessing the complete 180 of Ted DiBiase three years ago and Ted DiBiase today). But I thought the column was very important to read. Some of you will like it if you subscribe to the viewpoint that it's us against them and above all, we have to save our industry no matter what the cost. Some will have a very different idea reading it."

Those are some lofty allegations. Ted Dibiase was kind enough to respond to Mr. Meltzer here and on Wrestlingobserver.com.

The Million Dollar Man writes:

Dave, I need to set a few things straight with you. First of all, my objections to the business (the business that I've known all my life and know much better than you do) three years ago centered on programming. My objection has always been that I think there is too much sex and that there should be more family friendly programming. That hasn't changed.

I have been somewhere that nobody else giving an opinion lately has been. I've been on the inside and behind the closed doors. For a year and a half I worked as part of the creative team and also as a "producer". The truth is Dave, that the rock and roll atmosphere that existed 20 years ago is gone. As a talent in the WWE today, you can make anywhere from three hundred thousand to five million dollars a year. That certainly wasn't true 20 years ago. Nobody ever encouraged me to take steroids. Nobody ever told me my job depended on how great my body was. I think many wrestlers put that demand on themselves. I also think there were a few wrestlers that didn't have anything to offer other than a body (they were the greatest abusers) I was expected to stay in good shape and workout regularly. Twenty years ago everybody in every sport turned a blind eye to steroids. I was subject to the drug testing policy that was eventually implemented then and the one today is far greater in its scope that the previous one. The WWE doesn't choose who is tested or who is punished. They are all subject to the same rules.

My question to you and to all the disgruntled ex-employee's of the WWE is this, "what would you have them do?" I said it in every interview, "WHEN DO WE HOLD THE INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS?"

I nearly lost everything in 1992 because I was out partying and running around. I had the big head and was just too cool. I had to make a conscious decision to change. The choice was mine. It wasn't the WWE's fault that I was caving into the temptations out there. It was my own stupidity. I talk about the 60 or more wrestlers that have died in the last 10 years all the time. Of that 60 how many were really wrestlers who regularly worked in the business and how many were wanna-be's? In either case, 99% died of drug and alcohol related instances, not steroids.

The time off now is much better than it was 20 years ago. I laugh at the guys who complain today. They work 4 days a week unless they go on an overseas tour. When I needed time off I asked for it. The company always worked something out with me.

If you're making between three hundred thousand and five million and can't fund your own retirement and get great health care, you're either very immature or just plain stupid. Every injury I every got wrestling was taken care of by the company. I've funded my own retirement and done it on a lot less than guys are making now. AGAIN, I MUST BE MATURE ENOUGH TO MAKE GOOD CHOICES. I was 38 years old when the crisis in my life hit. I look back at that now and realize how immature and foolish I was. I didn't start becoming a man until I made a choice to change. But the choice was mine then and it's mine now.

I personally think many professional athletes in major sports today and pampered and coddled. They are given everything on a silver platter and it's never enough. Your talent can always take you where your "character" won't sustain you. That was my problem in 1992. It's the problem of many pro athletes today who, in spite of their great talent and big pay checks don't have the character and integrity to go along with it.

There is another issue I'd like to cover here. I heard one report about a certain wrestler's wife who was beaten by her husband. I don't condone men ever hitting a woman for any reason. What I take issue with is the suggestion that it is something rampant in wrestling. The suggestion was that most wrestler's wives suffer from abuse by their husbands but that it is a hush hush subject, swept under the rug and just not talked about. This is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. This person would have you believe that it is common place in wrestling for men to beat their wives. Again, I grew up in this business. My father never laid a finger on my mother. I've never laid a finger on my wife and don't know of any wrestlers in my 32 years experience that have. Are there isolated cases where this happens? I'm sure there is, just as there is in any other walk of life. But to suggest that most wrestlers are abusive to their wives and children is simply not true.

Last but not least, it has been suggested that I am defending the WWE because I have sons who aspire to be wrestlers. Do you really think that I would encourage any of my children to follow me into the wrestling industry if I didn't think it was a much better atmosphere now than when I was there? I can assure you, I would not. The truth is that the industry has changed greatly and for the better. I was impressed by the changes I saw there in the year and a half I was there. Everything constantly changes and evolves. I hope the WWE continues to do so and for the better.

Most of the condemning accusations thrown at the WWE as a result of the Benoit tragedy, in my opinion, have come from people who have an ax to grind with the company. As a result, their opinion is never going to be an objective one. I'm all for change where change is necessary. The greatest change that needed to occur in wrestling was in the wrestlers themselves. When you see your friends dropping left and right as a result of drug and alcohol abuse, it's time to wake up and smell the roses. It's time to stop acting like a stupid teenager and grow up. I started growing up when I took the focus of my life off of myself and my selfish desires and put them on my wife and kids. The bible says, "you will reap what you sow." In spite of anything the WWE does or doesn't do, it comes right down to personal choices. Our personal choices will lead us to success or failure, riches or poverty, and life or death. The choice is yours!

-- Ted

I agree with the whole "personal responsibilty" thing. But doesn't the WWE also have an even greater responsibility to not encourage distructive behavior in it's employees? Just sayin'. If it applies to everybody then it applies to everybody, even you Vince.

its tough to say whos responsible for what, i think if a guy is shooting up roids or smack into his system thats his choice to make, but it could be WWE's responsibility if it effects his performance or if he hurt someone as result, but i think once the guy is home its out of WWE's hands at that point

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but with the talk of individual responsbility vs. the pressure to make oneself "pushable" (via size and mass), how much of the blame for the need (alleged or otherwise) to be huge in wrestling falls on the audience?

The reason I ask is b/c I've come across plenty of people who have said, "I don't care about the cruiserweights. I want to see larger than life figures." And this is coming from "intelligent" people (as opposed to stereotypical rednecks/white trash/"IT"S REAL!!!" type people).

Even Lawler has gone on record saying that he considered the ECW wrestlers to be like "miniature" wrestlers, even though most of them were bigger than the average male.

So, what does it say about the image that the industry is trying to present - and by extension accepted by the fans - when a high profile and influential person within the industry implies that being a "normal" sized person is abnormal?

How realistic is it that Rey Mysterio could beat or go toe to toe with Big Show or Kevin Nash (assuming no advanced knowledge of fighting techniques, self defense, etc)? It is probably not as lopsided in reality as it would come across within the wrestling world, but that's exactly the point: the image is of the HUGE guys. We think it's ridiculous to see Rey try to go at it with Big Show, but we feel more comfortable when we see Kane or even Austin or Rock go at it with him, and it feels more "normal."

Remember Nash's term for Benoit, Malenko, etc? "Vanilla midgets."

Only a few "smaller" wrestlers are the exception to the rule in terms of getting over with the crowd based on their ability alone. And don't try to use TNA or ROH as an example of "smaller guys don't bulk up like stereotypical wrestlers and are doing just fine with the crowd." That crowd is made up of WRESTLING fans, and is an entirely different target demographic than that at which WWE is and WCW was aimed.

So it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Yes, there might be pressure internally to be big and hulking and all of that, but historically (at least since the mid-80's, at least, but quite possibly longer, and most likley just within the US), the crowd has responded best to those big, hulking guys...which of course only makes the powers that be say, "See, this is what the audience wants!"

Out of curiosity (and this both is related as well as somewhat separate), this seems to be exclusively a US/Canadian problem. How do Mexico, Europe, and Japan fit in?

I agree with the whole "personal responsibilty" thing. But doesn't the WWE also have an even greater responsibility to not encourage distructive behavior in it's employees? Just sayin'. If it applies to everybody then it applies to everybody, even you Vince.

I honestly think WWE has a better record when it comes to their ex-wrestlers than other promotions like World Class, WCW, ECW that have more substantial lists of dead wrestlers. That comes back to what Dibiase claims in that much of the problem stems from problems with illicit drugs that wrestling had in the 80s and 90s.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but with the talk of individual responsbility vs. the pressure to make oneself "pushable" (via size and mass), how much of the blame for the need (alleged or otherwise) to be huge in wrestling falls on the audience?

The reason I ask is b/c I've come across plenty of people who have said, "I don't care about the cruiserweights. I want to see larger than life figures." And this is coming from "intelligent" people (as opposed to stereotypical rednecks/white trash/"IT"S REAL!!!" type people).

Even Lawler has gone on record saying that he considered the ECW wrestlers to be like "miniature" wrestlers, even though most of them were bigger than the average male.

It's not a matter of being bulked up, it's about natural size. Look at NWA in the 80s for example. You've got Outlaw Ron Bass, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Magnum T.A., etc., none of whom looked tremendously bulked up. In the last ten years, the typical indy wrestler has gotten much smaller. What that does to the wrestling industry as a whole can be debated. One problem is that most wrestlers tended to be big guys with legitimate amateur sports backgrounds. Now those amateur sports lead to better opportunities and you're hard pressed to get a good athlete who is naturally big.

Kennedy said he doesn’t use steroids.

Haha. Maybe not now, but he was pretty jacked when he came up to Smackdown. Didn't he have a couple typically-steroid-related injuries while on SD?

Kennedy said he doesn’t think wrestling has a steroid problem, but did at one time.

Riiiight.

Tearing a muscle isn't a 'steroid injury" sure it can happen if you use roids just the same as it can happen if you don't.

I wonder why it is people expect WWE wrestlers to attack the WWE about this. This isn't a wrestling thing this is a life thing. You don't attack the company you work for, especially in public. If you do that it doesn't make you a great guy it makes you a complete idiot.

Just the same as WWE guys aren't going to bash the company they work for because they aren't stupid....there are plenty of ex guys with ax's to grind that people take at face value when they have their agenda's in mind as well. Dibiase talks about that and all that is being brought on by those guys.

I find it interesting that in the same day, both Alvarez and Meltzer didn't come off looking well when trying to prove points or argue with wrestlers.......guess they don't do to well when confronted.

Tearing a muscle isn't a 'steroid injury" sure it can happen if you use roids just the same as it can happen if you don't.

Hold on a second. Yes, you can tear a muscle if you use roids or not. But, using roids increases the likelihood and severity of the injury. Guys are tearing muscles right now at a rate most people stub their toes. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Just off the top of my head with no research: HHH (two quads) Vince (two quads) Nash (quad) Taker (tricep) Batista (tricep, back)

2006 SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND DRUG TESTING POLICY

February 27, 2006

1. GENERAL POLICY

The non-medical use and associated abuse of prescription medications and performance enhancing drugs, as well as the use, possession and/or distribution of illegal drugs, by WWE Talent are unacceptable and prohibited by this policy, as is the use of masking agents or diuretics taken to conceal or obscure the use of prohibited drugs.

2. NON-MEDICAL USE

For purposes of this Policy, the phrase “non-medical use” shall mean use of a drug by a WWE Talent for other than a legitimate medical purpose pursuant to a valid prescription from a licensed and treating physician. Prescriptions obtained over the internet and/or from suppliers of prescription drugs from the internet shall not be considered to have been given for a legitimate medical purpose.

3. LIST OF PROHIBITED DRUGS

A. Performance Enhancing Drugs

(1) Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS): The non-medical use of anabolic androgenic steroids, which include and are based on the natural steroid Testosterone, is prohibited.

The list of prohibited AAS includes, but is not limited to, those on the list below as well as related compounds.

▪ androstenediol

▪ androstendione

▪ bolasterone

▪ boldenone

▪ chloroxomesterone (dehydrochlormethyltestosterone)

▪ clostebol

▪ dihydroepiandosterone

▪ dihydrotestosterone

▪ dromostanolone

▪ epitestosterone

▪ 4-chlortestosterone

▪ fluoxymesterone

▪ formebolone

▪ furazabol

▪ mesterolone

▪ methandienone (methandrostenolone)

▪ methandriol

▪ methenolone

▪ methylclostebol

▪ methyltestosterone

▪ methyltrienolone

▪ mibolerone

▪ nandrolone

▪ norandrostenediol

▪ norandrostenedione

▪ norethandrolone

▪ norethindrone

▪ oxabolone

▪ oxandrolone

▪ oxymesterone

▪ oxymetholone

▪ stanozolol

▪ stenbolone

▪ testosterone

▪ trenbolone

(2) Peptide Hormones and Analogues: The non-medical use of Human Growth Hormone (hGH), Human Chorionic Gonadotropin ((hCG), Luetenizing Hormone (LH) and Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1) is prohibited.

(3) Clenbuterol, used as an anti-catabolic drug or beta-2 agonist or for any other purpose, is prohibited.

B. Other Prohibited Drugs

(1) Stimulants. The non-medical use of amphetamine, methamphetamine, Ecstacy (MDMA), Eve (MDEA), MDA, PMA, Phentermine, Ephedrine class and other amphetamine derivatives and related compounds is prohibited.

(2) Narcotic Analgesics. The non-medical use of drugs belonging to this class, including, but not limited to, heroin, morphine and/or its chemical and pharmacological analogs and related compounds, is prohibited. Additionally, codeine and codeine based combinations, including those available over the counter in some countries, are considered prohibited drugs if used for a non-medical purpose.

(3) Benzodiazepines. The non-medical use of drugs belonging to this class, including, but not limited to, Alpha-hydroxy-alprazolam (Xanax), Lorazepam (Ativan), Nordiazepam (Valium), Oxazepam (Serax), Temazepam (Restoril) and/or chemical and pharmacological analogs and related components is prohibited.

(4) Barbiturates. The non-medical use of drugs belonging to this class, including, but not limited to, Amobarbital (Amytal), Butabarbital (Butisol), Butalbital (Anolor 300, Esgic, Fioricet, Fiorinal), Phenobarbital (Luminol, Solfoton), Pentobarbital (Nembutal, Nembutal Sodium), Secobarbital (Seconal) and/or chemical and pharmacological analogs and related components is prohibited.

(5) Diuretics. The non-medical use of diuretics, including, but not limited to, those on the list below as well as related compounds, is prohibited.

▪ acetozolomide

▪ amiloride

▪ bendroflumethiazide

▪ benzthiazide

▪ bumetanide

▪ canrenone

▪ chlormerodrin

▪ chlorthalidone

▪ diclophenamide

▪ ethacrynic acid

▪ furosemide

▪ hydrochlorothiazide

▪ mersalyl

▪ spironolactone

▪ triamterene

(6) Prescription drugs. WWE recognizes that there are many prescription and over-the-counter medications that serve essential or beneficial purposes for the health and well being of WWE Talent, and nothing in this Policy is intended to discourage the proper use of these medications. Conversely, there are some medications that, even when used properly, may affect safety or health and also medications which can be abused and affect safety and health. Accordingly, the following uses are prohibited regarding prescription and over-the-counter medications.

(a) The use of such a medication in a manner which is inconsistent with the instructions provided by the prescribing physician.

(b) The use of such a medication so as to cause an increased risk to health, safety or an impairment of ability to perform duties on the day of a WWE Event.

© The use of prescription drugs taken without a proper prescription given for a legitimate medical purpose by the personal physician of the person tested.

(d) The use of prescription drugs obtained from a physician who was not advised that another physician was prescribing the same and/or similar drug(s).

(7) Illegal drugs. The possession, use, and/or distribution of any drug made illegal to possess, use and/or distribute by the laws of the United States of America and/or any of its fifty states is prohibited by this Policy.

4. MASKING AGENTS AND TECHNIQUES USED TO AVOID DETECTION

The use of any agent or technique which is designed to avoid detection of a prohibited drug and/or compromise the integrity of a drug test is prohibited. This includes providing false urine samples (for example, urine substitution), contaminating the urine sample with chemicals or chemical products, the use of diuretics to dilute urine samples, the use of masking agents (such as probenecid and related compounds), and/or the use of epitestosterone either systematically or directly to artificially alter the testosterone/epitestosterone ratio.

The use of any such agent or technique shall be treated as a positive test for substances prohibited by this Policy for disciplinary purposes.

5. ALCOHOL ABUSE

The use and/or abuse of alcohol in such a fashion so as to impair the ability to perform is prohibited by this Policy. Talent are expected to be free of the influence of alcohol when performing for WWE. Accordingly, the use of alcohol at any time twelve hours prior to any scheduled performance is prohibited by this Policy.

(1) Testing for alcohol use or abuse in violation of this Policy shall be for reasonable cause only as defined in Section 7A.

(2) The initial positive test for use and/or abuse of alcohol in violation of this Policy will be treated as a medical issue requiring evaluation for alcohol rehabilitation treatment. All subsequent positive tests for alcohol-related violations of this Policy shall be treated as disciplinary matters in accordance with this Policy.

6. ADMINISTRATION OF THE POLICY

The administration of this Policy is directed by the Program Administrator (PA) for the WWE. The PA shall be David L. Black, Ph.D., D-ABFT, D-ABCC of Aegis Sciences Corporation (“Aegis”), Nashville, Tennessee. The PA shall be responsible for scheduling Talent for testing, administering collection of samples, coordinating secure shipment of samples to the testing facility, interviewing Talent and determining whether any WWE Talent has tested positive for the existence of a prohibited drug and, if so, directing that the appropriate penalty as set forth herein is imposed.

7. TESTING FOR USE OF PROHIBITED SUBSTANCE

A. Reasonable Cause Testing

(1) Reasonable Suspicion. WWE may require Talent to submit to a test or tests, including, without limitation, urine, blood, saliva, hair, and/or breath tests, if there exists reasonable suspicion that the Talent has violated any part of this Policy or has diminished ability to perform as a result of using any prohibited substance. Some of the conditions, observations and/or reports that may cause WWE to have such a reasonable suspicion are as follows:

(a) When a Talent is found or observed in possession of illegal drugs or illegal drug paraphernalia at any time.

(b) Observation of signs, symptoms and/or behaviors known to accompany the use of prohibited substances including, but not limited to:

1. physical signs of red or droopy eyes, dilated or constricted pupils;

2. slurred speech, stumbling, or hyperactivity;

3. needle marks;

4. repeated unexplained disappearances from an Event;

5. unexplained lateness in arriving for an Event;

6. nose constantly runs, appears red, or persistent sniffling;

7. time distortion, including repeated tardiness and missed appointments;

8. chronic forgetfulness or broken promises;

9. accidents during Events;

10. inability to concentrate, remember, or maintain attention;

11. mental confusion, paranoia, or presence of abnormal thoughts or ideas;

12. violent tendencies, loss of temper, or irritability;

13. extreme personality change or mood swings;

14. deteriorating personal hygiene or appearance.

© A drug related conviction.

(d) Receipt of a report from a reliable source that a Talent is using, possessing or selling illegal drugs.

(e) An examination or test, as provided by the Policy, which shows evidence of use of a prohibited substance or adulteration or manipulation of the specimen.

In addition, WWE may require a Talent to submit to a test or tests, including without limitation, urine, blood, saliva, hair, and/or breath tests, following an incident in which careless acts were observed during a WWE Event.

(2) Tests for violation of this Policy for alcohol and marijuana shall be on the basis of reasonable cause only.

B. Random Testing

With respect to all substances and drugs prohibited by this Policy except alcohol and marijuana, which will be tested only if reasonable cause exists to do so, WWE Talent will be subject to unannounced testing at any time, as determined by the PA. WWE may require Talent to submit to a test or tests, including, without limitation, urine, blood, saliva and/or hair in a random selection program. The random selection program conducted throughout the year will result in all Talent being tested on average four times and at least twice but may result in more frequent testing due to the random selection process. WWE Talent placed into the follow-up random testing program will be tested more frequently than four times per year.

C. Refusal To Test

A refusal to submit to a drug test by Talent shall be treated as a positive test for disciplinary and all other purposes pursuant to this Policy.

8. COLLECTION AND TRANSPORT OF SPECIMEN(S)

The Program Administrator will be in charge of collection of specimen(s) and they will carry out the following procedures:

(a) Ensure that the specimen(s) is/are from the Talent in question (including observation of the collection of the specimen(s)).

(b) Ensure that the specimen(s) is/are collected within the time period designated. Normally, collection shall be made within one hour or less of the notification of the Talent that testing will be conducted, unless a different time is designated based on the circumstances.

© Ensure that the specimen(s) has/have not been manipulated by promptly measuring the temperature of the specimen(s). Where results indicate that the sample is inappropriate for testing, the PA may require the Talent to provide additional specimen(s) as necessary.

(d) Label, secure, and transport the specimen(s) to the designated testing facility in such a manner as to ensure that the specimen(s) is/are not misplaced, tampered with, or relabeled.

9. FACILITY FOR TESTING

All testing will be done at a facility or facilities selected by WWE from among those facilities that have been certified by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, College of American Pathologists Forensic Urine Drug Testing Program (CAP-FUDT) and/or American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors (ASCLD).

10. TECHNOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF TESTING

The WWE designated testing facility will determine whether and in what amount a particular specimen tests positive with respect to a prohibited substance and whether the specimen has been adulterated or manipulated. The testing facility will transmit the results to the WWE PA. The PA shall promptly notify the Talent and the designated WWE representative whether or not the specimen(s) yielded a positive result for a prohibited drug and/or were adulterated or manipulated.

11. DEFINITION OF A POSITIVE TEST

(a) A positive test is one which confirms the presence of a prohibited drug or a metabolite of a prohibited drug.

(b) The initial test of Talent under this Policy shall be considered baseline testing and shall not, if positive, subject Talent to disciplinary action. Any subsequent positive test for non-medical use after the initial baseline test shall be treated as a positive test for disciplinary reasons if, in the opinion of the PA based on the evidence of testing and its interpretation of that evidence, the Talent has continued to use any such drugs.

© For testosterone, the following standards shall apply:

1. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio above ten (10) shall be conclusively regarded as a positive test result.

2. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio greater than four (4) but less than ten (10) shall require follow-up testing and/or medical evaluation to determine if the test shall be interpreted as positive for the active use of Testosterone or evidence of other steroids influencing the T/E ratio.

3. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of four (4) or less shall be regarded as a negative test result.

12. PROCEDURE FOR A POSITIVE TEST

(1) The PA shall notify the Talent and the designated WWE representative of any positive test detected on the initial baseline test as defined in Section 11(b) of this Policy.

(2) After the initial baseline test, any and all subsequent positive tests for the non-medical use of drugs shall be subject to the penalties set forth herein.

(3) In the event that a Talent tests positive for a prescription drug, it shall be the responsibility of Talent to provide to the PA, within five (5) days of notification of a positive test, suitable proof that the drug in question has been taken pursuant to a valid prescription for a legitimate medical purpose given by a licensed and treating physician, and to provide copies of the prescription and the name, address and telephone number of the prescribing physician. The PA, as part of this Policy, shall have the consent of Talent to contact the prescribing physician to confirm that the prescription provided by Talent is valid and for a legitimate medical purpose. The failure to provide suitable proof shall be treated as a positive test. For purposes of this Policy, prescriptions obtained over the internet and/or from suppliers of prescription drugs from the internet shall NOT be considered valid and/or to have been given for a legitimate medical purpose. The Talent may be required to participate in follow-up testing to verify compliance with prescription medication use.

(4) Upon being notified by the PA that a Talent has tested positive for a drug prohibited by this Policy, the Talent shall have five (5) days to request a second opinion test be conducted. The second opinion test shall be conducted at the WWE designated testing facility using bottle “B” from the original collection. If the second opinion test fails to confirm the original test, then the test will be recorded as “negative” and there will be no penalty.

13. DISCIPLINE FOR VIOLATION OF LAW

Any Talent who is arrested, convicted or who admits to a violation of law relating to use, possession, purchase, sale or distribution of prohibited drugs will be in material breach of contract and subject to immediate dismissal.

14. PENALTIES FOR POSITIVE DRUG TESTS

First Offense. In the event of an initial positive result for drugs prohibited by this Policy, as amended from time to time, the Talent shall be suspended without pay for 30 days.

Second Offense. In the event of a second positive result for drugs prohibited by this Policy, as amended from time to time, the Talent shall be suspended without pay for 60 days or, in cases where the Talent appears to be in need of a drug rehabilitation program, an indefinite suspension without pay until the individual has successfully completed the drug rehabilitation program.

Third Offense. In the event of a third positive result for drugs prohibited by this Policy, as amended from time to time, the Talent’s contract with WWE will be terminated.

15. APPLICABILITY OF THIS POLICY

This Policy, as it may be amended from time to time, is applicable to and binding upon all WWE Talent under contract to WWE who regularly perform in-ring services as a professional sports entertainer.

There's the Wellness Policy, and the TE ratio for a positive test result is in fact 10:1 not the 4:1 that some, including WWE performers, have claimed. A 4:1 ratio or above will get you looked at to see if can be called a positive test result, but if you provide an explanation that satisfies, such as prescription or other doctor's certificate, then a 4:1 ratio can still see you pass the test. The automatic suspension only kicks in with a 10:1, which isn't exactly what's been espoused by Kennedy and others.

As for Finlay on Nancy Grace, his bombastic style might have convinced some that he came out on top against Alvarez, but let's take a look shall we:

GRACE: ... if you have a prescription, that that will not save you. But according to Bryan Alvarez, it will save you.

FINLAY: No, it won`t. And what does he know? He`s never been in the doors of WWE. I`m there every single day. I`m on the road four days a week. I know what the policy is. I went through it, and I have a lot of talent with me that have gone through it. It`s garbage. It`s just pure speculation. There`s a definite strong in-force testing going on. And just because you got the script doesn`t mean you`re going to get away with it. Dr. Black may just turn around and say, That is -- I don`t -- I don`t accept it...

ALVAREZ: I have taken this specifically from the WWE policy, and I talked to Jerry McDivett (ph), who is the WWE attorney, who explained the testosterone replacement therapy part of this.

Maybe Finlay should take a closer look at his own company's policy, or even talk to the company's attorney, because Alvarez did and he wound up being more knowledgeable about how the wellness policy works than Finlay.

Hold on a second. Yes, you can tear a muscle if you use roids or not. But, using roids increases the likelihood and severity of the injury. Guys are tearing muscles right now at a rate most people stub their toes. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Just off the top of my head with no research: HHH (two quads) Vince (two quads) Nash (quad) Taker (tricep) Batista (tricep, back)

If you start frequently ripping them....like Batista or H who've done it more than once, or you start tearing them off the bone then you are getting more into a steroid type muscle tear.

It's all subjective like I don't think Takers tear is really about roids, honestly H's second tear didn't look like a roid injury either, his first one however did seeing as he basically planted his leg and tore a muscle.

Also we can talk about that Finlay and Kennedy aren't right in what they are saying on a wrestling board where we follow this. But most people watching those programs aren't hardcore fans or even know that much about wrestling. The court of public opinion is what both sides or going for and that doesn't lead to exactly being right to win and even with his wrong point Finlay looked better than Alvarez did.....

Like the guy who was going off about how I was dumb for suggesting charisma means more than facts......take a look at who the President is, enough said.

Charisma is more important for appealing specifically to morons, certainly, which is probably why a person such as yourself believes it to be true in general. Sorry to disappoint you, but the opinions of the uninformed masses don't change the facts and reality of the situation. Kennedy and Finlay were both being calumnious, and even if they had good intentions, it doesn't seem like they have much pertinent information.

Charisma is more important for appealing specifically to morons, certainly, which is probably why a person such as yourself believes it to be true in general. Sorry to disappoint you, but the opinions of the uninformed masses don't change the facts and reality of the situation. Kennedy and Finlay were both being calumnious, and even if the had good intentions, it doesn't seem like they have much pertinent information.

I'm speaking as in "what people buy" most people in this country are morons I think that is pretty much a fact. I never once said it changed the fact i said it changes perception basically. A little bit of charisma will get you elected president even though you are basically stupid in this country. That doesn't mean I support that as right it just means a guy can go on TV and say something that is totally wrong which happened and actually come off well doing it to a majority of the audience. Right now I'd say that's all the WWE cares about swaying public opinion......whether it takes guys lying to do it I doubt they care.

I don't think either side is exactly presenting a great 'factual" argument, it's becoming tired to be honest. It's just 2 sides bickering back and forth for TV time and news shows putting them on to try and pump some ratings.

Nice to call me a moron though even though you totally misconstrued what I said.

I don't think either side is exactly presenting a great 'factual" argument, it's becoming tired to be honest.

See, it's stuff like this. Meltzer and Alvarez bring the facts, and both are of the opinion that WWE deserves some of the blame and needs to make some changes. The evidence points to that argument being more correct than the opposing viewpoint. Not to say that guys like Mero aren't full of shit, because I don't know if he really has his facts straight either, but his side of the argument makes a lot more sense knowing the specifics of the wellness policy, and knowing how much bullshit damage-control PR is coming from WWE and their wrestlers. It's just a matter of getting that information out there, but even if it was, there seems to be a group of individuals who don't want to listen.

I don't think either side is exactly presenting a great 'factual" argument, it's becoming tired to be honest.

See, it's stuff like this. Meltzer and Alvarez bring the facts, and both are of the opinion that WWE deserves some of the blame and needs to make some changes. The evidence points to that argument being more correct than the opposing viewpoint. Not to say that guys like Mero aren't full of shit, because I don't know if he really has his facts straight either, but his side of the argument makes a lot more sense knowing the specifics of the wellness policy, and knowing how much bullshit damage-control PR is coming from WWE and their wrestlers. It's just a matter of getting that information out there, but even if it was, there seems to be a group of individuals who don't want to listen.

I think Alvarez for the most part hasn't said anything to really question if it's a fact or not he's been solid from what I've seen.....I think Meltzer has said a few things that made me go ehhh....and Keller is so far fucking out there he just needs to stop. When he has stuff on his site about wanting to ask Linda McMahon if Benoit snapped because his workrate was better than Lashleys but he wasn't getting pushed I've had enough......

I thought the DiBiase thing I posted in his response to Meltzer was pretty solid personally, I'm curious to see what Dave says about it in all honesty. I hope it's more in depth than 'Ted is just towing the line" or something like that.

I think Alvarez for the most part hasn't said anything to really question if it's a fact or not he's been solid from what I've seen.....I think Meltzer has said a few things that made me go ehhh....and Keller is so far fucking out there he just needs to stop. When he has stuff on his site about wanting to ask Linda McMahon if Benoit snapped because his workrate was better than Lashleys but he wasn't getting pushed I've had enough......

I thought the DiBiase thing I posted in his response to Meltzer was pretty solid personally, I'm curious to see what Dave says about it in all honesty. I hope it's more in depth than 'Ted is just towing the line" or something like that.

Keller said those questions came from forum users, not him.

Interesting Mark Henry article, especially the bolded part. As noted by scherer, I wonder what the wwe thinks of that quote.

Keeping it real

Wrestler tired of drugs and their effect on his peers, his sport.

By John Maher

AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Professional wrestler Mark Henry, all 390 pounds of him, is used to drawing stares. Even people who haven't seen him perform at an arena or on television can't help but notice his vending-machine build or the Hummer he drives, the one he received for winning a 2002 strongman competition promoted by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Lately, though, Henry said, "I've been getting dirty looks from people. I was talking to this guy at the airport and he said, 'You guys are all getting exposed.' When people make generalizations about me they're usually wrong. I don't do drugs. I'm not some animal. I'm not some Neanderthal."

Laura Skelding

AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)

Family man: Pro wrestler Mark Henry (with his wife, Jana Perry-Henry, and their son Jacob, 21 months) says he sticks to himself to avoid being linked to drug users.

Laura Skelding

AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)

Mark Henry, with son Jacob, says he will never forget the death of fellow wrestler Chris Benoit and Benoit's family last month. 'The thing is, no one saw it coming,' Henry said. 'This is never going to leave me. I'll be on my deathbed and still thinking about it.'

Henry is dealing with the shock and grief stemming from the recent death of WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, whom police said killed his wife and 7-year-old son before committing suicide in the family's Georgia home. In the wake of the tragedy, wrestling's excesses, including steroid use, are again coming under fire from critics, some of whom have called for a Congressional investigation of the business.

The 36-year-old Henry, an Austin resident who's been a wrestler for more than a decade, also has to grapple with trying to lead a normal life in a surreal world.

"The travel alone would kill most people. We might do 250 shows a year," he said.

Henry doesn't ride with other wrestlers to any World Wrestling Entertainment matches. A husband and father of a 21-month-old son, Henry said one reason he drives solo is for safety, that he has less chance of getting in an accident that might cause an injury that could affect his career. The other reason, he said, is that he doesn't want to be in a car if recreational or performance-enhancing drugs belonging to another wrestler are discovered by law enforcement officials.

"If they get caught, then I'd be (considered) guilty, too. If we get pulled over we're both going down," Henry said.

Henry said of the 75 wrestlers he works with, he's close friends with maybe five or six. He said that's pretty typical in the business, because wrestlers are independent contractors.

One of the reasons Henry, a two-time Olympic weightlifter, is still in wrestling is Benoit.

At a show 31/2 years ago, Benoit slapped a cross-face hold on Henry and dislocated Henry's already injured shoulder, knocking him out of action and raising his doubts about whether to continue in his line of work.

"Chris Benoit is the one who kept me going. He's the one who would call and say, 'You have to come back.' He didn't have to do that," Henry said.

Henry was at a WWE event in Beaumont on Saturday, June 24, when Benoit didn't show. "Then, when he didn't show up for the pay-per-view-event in Houston," Henry said, "we're thinking, 'Darn, he never misses a show.' "

On Monday, June 26, the WWE live event in Corpus Christi was canceled because of the Benoit family deaths, but at that time Henry said the wrestlers thought the killings might have been the result of a home invasion.

Authorities, however, said Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and their son, Daniel, before hanging himself from a pulley on a weight machine.

"How he did what he did ... ," Henry said, shaking his head. "We were torn up. The thing is, no one saw it coming. This is never going to leave me. I'll be on my deathbed and still thinking about it."

A longtime, vocal critic of steroid use

Authorities said they found anabolic steroids at Benoit's home, and Benoit's doctor, Phil Astin, has since been charged with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs.

World Wrestling Entertainment was quick to issue a statement that said "roid rage" was not a factor in the deaths.

"WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time to the motive for these acts," the statement read.

Henry has long been vocal about the problems tied to steroids.

Growing up in Silsbee, he was a weightlifting prodigy as a teenager and has long had an extraordinary build.

The 6-foot-3-inch Henry has a 24-inch neck and biceps, and his ring size is 18. He has set powerlifting records and also represented the United States in weightlifting at the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics.

"My whole life I competed against people who used steroids," said Henry, who as an Olympian was subject to frequent drug testing, including nine tests in 1995 alone.

He's still chafed about an "HBO Real Sports" segment he did in 1996 because he contends host Bryant Gumbel made him sound like a crybaby for bringing up the performance-enhancing drug use of other weightlifters.

Henry now points to the steroid scandals that have hit some Olympic sports and Major League Baseball as evidence he knew what he was talking about back then.

As much as he has spoken out against steroid use, Henry didn't point to 'roid rage as a simple answer for the Benoit deaths.

"Steroids may contribute, but there are bodybuilders who have taken a lot more," Henry said.

Painkillers also are abused by some wrestlers and have sometimes been linked to their deaths. Bobby Duncum, a former University of Texas football player and a wrestler, died in 2000 at age 34 after overdosing on a painkiller while attempting to cope with injuries.

Henry has not been immune from injury despite his size. Probably his most serious wrestling injury happened last July when, in a six-man tag team event, he tore his patella tendon and split his kneecap in two.

After surgery Henry did not wrestle in another WWE bout until May, but he said that painkillers don't have to become a part of performing.

"It's just sucking it up and going," Henry said.

Although he once wrestled as Sexual Chocolate, Henry's weakness is barbecue.

When he can, he likes to go to Lockhart or Taylor for brisket and sausage.

Henry, who has studied acting and would like to have a career in that field when he's done wrestling, is also big on martial arts films.

As for fame, he said the weirdest thing is that strangers will just walk up and punch him in the ribs or slap him on the chest — hard — as if they are some kind of long-lost friend.

"I'm not some big, jovial fat guy," Henry warned. "Don't hit me."

Guest •

Mecca has another totally rockin' avatar/sig combo! Shoutout to Victoria this time! WWE is cool.

Mecca has another totally rockin' avatar/sig combo! Shoutout to Victoria this time! WWE is cool.

What does my sig have to do with anything........well other than you trying to look cool on the net and that whole routine.

Guest •

What does my sig have to do with anything........well other than you trying to look cool on the net and that whole routine.

It just further underlines what a dopey mark you've proven yourself to be in the wake of this whole story.

Guest kettley

Meltzer's death list in the Observer dated July 19th features 62 wrestlers who worked for a "Major League Company" and passed away before their 50th birthday.

32 of the wrestlers worked for the WWE/WWF at some point throuought their career.

34 of them worked for WCW.

18 of them worked for ECW.

6 worked for TNA.

37 people on the list were known steroid users and there were also 37 people on the list known to have significant issues with either painkillers or recreational drugs.

If deaths in NFL or MLB happened as frequently as they do in wrestling Meltzer estumates there would have been 435 deaths in NFL and 186 in MLB in the same time period.

More than 50% of the deaths were due to drug related heart attacks or overdoses (either steroids or painkillers or a combination of both). 8% were suicides (some of which were likley to be drug related). 13% were heart attacks that were not necessarily drug related (though some may have been) and only 3 of the 62 deaths were caused by cancer.

Do you have names? TNA hasn't been around that long, and started long after the supposed change in "culture" when they went from partying all hours of the night to, well, whatever they're doing now. So I'm surprised that they have a few names.

Do you have names? TNA hasn't been around that long, and started long after the supposed change in "culture" when they went from partying all hours of the night to, well, whatever they're doing now. So I'm surprised that they have a few names.

I'm gonna guess 3 of them are Crash Holly, Curt Hennig and Chris Candido...the other 3 I'm drawing a blank.

It just further underlines what a dopey mark you've proven yourself to be in the wake of this whole story.

I'm a dopey mark because of a sig...man I'm hurt.

Just so you know everyone in this damn forum is a fuckin mark otherwise you wouldn't be here. I mean god forbid I actually enjoy some people in the wrestling business not everyone is a bitter asshole fan who proclaims their hate of wrestling and all things WWE but then watches it every week.

Alvarez saying last night that he got his information about the WWE wellness policy straight from the press release and description they posted on their website makes it seem like he has as much factual information as I do or anyone with Internet access. Finlay is in the WWE locker room, he's subjected to the testing and enforces the testing on other people so he has every right to bring that point up in his argument, even if it comes off like a cop out to some. No one can deny that the WWE needs to make some changes to their testing and demands on workers but they also deserve some benefit of the doubt for making the changes they have made to lessen tragedies, lighten the schedule, change the backstage atmosphere, paying for rehab, paying for surgeries and sparing the guy's bodies by pushing a specific style. Of the wrestling media - Scherer and the pwinsider guys have a grasp of that - Meltzer, Alvarez and Keller are stuck are obsessed on the negative because they still can't get over the fact that Vince walked in the 90's, whether the admit that or not. Like I've said repeatedly - if WWE would just stop pushing guys because they are big - I think that's really the biggest problem here. Vince's perception of what a top guy needs to look like.

Alvarez saying last night that he got his information about the WWE wellness policy straight from the press release and description they posted on their website

You seem to misunderstand. This was to prove the point that Kennedy and Finlay were both saying things contrary to what the WWE had publicly said. Both Alvarez and Meltzer have sources inside the WWE, and they have both apparently seen the wellness policy. They both have more information than you, whether you want to believe it or not. You or anyone else can also access a lot of that information by reading the WON. It's better than keeping one's head in the sand.