TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

From where we stand now, Cloverfield could pretty much fuck Godzilla up. (Is that really the monster's permanent name? ... Cloverfield?) He's way more agile, and he's got the reach.

The X factor is magical powers, like Godzilla's radiation breath. Cloverfield basically has huge arms, and that's it.

That really gives Godzilla the huge advantage over anything. He'll breath on you, and even if you win, you'll die of cancer while Godzilla rests up at the bottom of the ocean.

I'd like to see them address that: Godzilla's mere presence gives you a fatal illness. The Cloverfield parasites approach that, that whole "kill you just by existing" thing.

Can anyone suggest to me the best way to get hold of all the Zilla movies? Is it worth buying one of the boxsets or indivdual DVDs?

There was only one Zilla movie (two if you count Final Wars) and you probably don't want to own it.

Snobby "Zilla means American Godzilla monster!" joke aside, luke-o raises a good question.

You know, I haven't seen the Zilla movie since it was in theaters. I might want to revisit that. I do remember a couple of nice scenes amid the suck. Mostly stuff where he was underwater and you couldn't really see him.

I might like it now. After all, Independence Day ended up being one of my favorite movies to watch.

Oh, and regarding luke-o's question: most of the schlocky Godzilla pictures are cheap as shit on dvd. Just snap them up, it's not even really a loss if they eventually put out something better. The original Gojira has a nice dvd release that you definitely want, although I'm not sure how you being in a different region affects that.

Zilla was on TV here last week - I thought in my memory it at least had special effects going for it, but they don't seem to have aged well in 10 years (his big foot walking around just looks so fake and post-produced... of course it is, but I thought it was done better). The blond girl who seemingly never worked again after the movie is cute though (Maria Pitillo or something like that).

Oh, and regarding luke-o's question: most of the schlocky Godzilla pictures are cheap as shit on dvd. Just snap them up, it's not even really a loss if they eventually put out something better. The original Gojira has a nice dvd release that you definitely want, although I'm not sure how you being in a different region affects that.

The only ones I've found region 2 style are Gojira and vs King Kong. Which pretty much sucks.

My memory may be a little fuzzy but in Final Wars, Godzilla disposes of Zilla with nothing more than a backhand followed by flame breath. You can tell the Japanese REALLY hate the Americanized Godzilla. The American Godzilla movie of the late 90's has it's moments, but overall I'm not a fan. Godzilla being able to reproduce asexually and hatching about 1000 baby Godzillas in MSG? Come on.

I guess they figure the mystique is not there anymore about the monster because you can see it pretty good in the latest commercials for the film.

You aren't going to get anymore people to see it on the "what is the monster?" novelty anymore. Now you got to give them a "See, the monster is cool and worth a longer look" approach. It's actually been pretty strong marketing done for the film, very impressive.

I'm still waiting on the cheap theater for this one. Looks well worth the money then.

My memory may be a little fuzzy but in Final Wars, Godzilla disposes of Zilla with nothing more than a backhand followed by flame breath. You can tell the Japanese REALLY hate the Americanized Godzilla. The American Godzilla movie of the late 90's has it's moments, but overall I'm not a fan. Godzilla being able to reproduce asexually and hatching about 1000 baby Godzillas in MSG? Come on.

They may hate Zilla, but I think that fight had more to do with every fucking fight im Final Wars being ridiculously short, except for the final battle. Every other damn fight before that was a squash match.

Guest Vitamin X

More like an anorexic rancor with an extra joint.

I don't think they did a great job with the toy, the monster in the movie looks much better. Aren't those bulby/ballsac things on his head supposed to be reddish, also? It looks like the colors and the massiveness of the creature are kinda off.

Can anyone suggest to me the best way to get hold of all the Zilla movies? Is it worth buying one of the boxsets or indivdual DVDs?

61QRmGBs1EL._SS500_.jpg

The Godzilla Collection

Start off with that. Pretty much every movie in there (Gojira/Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monster, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of Mechagodzilla) is awesome w/ the exception of the horrible Godzilla's Revenge. Plus you get both the Japanese/American cuts, special features, and commentary on each DVD.

The only Godzilla movie thats not on DVD at the moment is Godzilla 1985 (sad since this was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw), so you shouldnt have a hard time finding them.

61QRmGBs1EL._SS500_.jpg

The Godzilla Collection

Start off with that. Pretty much every movie in there (Gojira/Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monster, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of Mechagodzilla) is awesome w/ the exception of the horrible Godzilla's Revenge. Plus you get both the Japanese/American cuts, special features, and commentary on each DVD.

The only Godzilla movie thats not on DVD at the moment is Godzilla 1985 (sad since this was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw), so you shouldnt have a hard time finding them.

I'll wait till it's on Blu-Ray.

61QRmGBs1EL._SS500_.jpg

The Godzilla Collection

I'll wait till it's on Blu-Ray.

You'll probably be waiting awhile.

Part II of the manga is out.

Dude's acting bitchy, girl is acting tough. Then there's an army guy. Looks like Guile. But he doesn't flip around.

The interesting thing to me on that site is that the little crab arms (legs? fuck it.) on the monster's underside are apparently people scoopers.

It can scoop people up w/ the little crab arms (yah) and jam them into where his genitals are supposed to be.

//dvd extras

These are apparently the special features on the DVD. DVD out 3 weeks from today.

* Commentary: Commentary by Director Matt Reeves

* Featurette: The Making of Cloverfield

* Featurette: Cloverfield Visual Effects

* Featurette: I Saw It! It's Alive! It's Huge

* Featurette: Clover Fun

* Additional Scenes: Congrats Rob

* Additional Scenes: When You're in Japan

* Additional Scenes: I Call That a Date

* Additional Scenes: It's Going to Hurt

* Additional Scenes: Alt Ending #1

* Additional Scenes: Alt Ending #2

* Easter Eggs: Slusho!

* Easter Eggs: Person of Interest - JLVD Video 2

* Easter Eggs: Person of Interest - JLVD Video 5

* Easter Eggs: Person of Interest - JLVD Video 9

* Easter Eggs: Person of Interest - JLVD Video 11

* Easter Eggs: Rack 'Em & Pack 'Em

* Easter Eggs: Fighting the X

I just saw it and loved it. I didn't think anything of it before hand, so there was no hype for me with it. I think if I believe a movie is going to be good, then it will suck. But if I have no feelings towards it, I usually enjoy it.

Beth: "What is that thing?"

Hud: "Ah, ah, it's that terrible thing."

later on

Beth: "What the hell was that?

Hud: "I don't know, something else. Also terrible"

That pretty much sums up the monsters. Half of the shit Hud says is exactly what I would have said in certain situations.

The DVD is out tomorrow. Anyone else picking it up, or planning to wait for the Blu-Ray later this year?

Yeah, that's me. Unless it's a TV series on DVD, all my DVD purchases are pretty much Blu-Ray these days.