TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

Do you know why you can't make out what it is? It's because you won't find out what it is. What you guys have been posting (screen grabs etc) is the best your going to get I'm afraid.

At least that's what I think.

That wouldn't surprise me. But honestly, if the movie is in New York and the thing is ripping the city apart, at least one person will tape some footage of the monster and get it on the news, the same way someone had footage of the plane crash from 9/11 and it found its way onto the news.

I along with the rest of you am anticipating just WHAT kind of monster this is supposed to be. I've heard everything from a depiction of Cthulu, to a serpent of sorts.

Cthulu.jpg

Cthulu would make one interesting movie monster.

I'm starting to think it's this guy.

Thanks for the screen shots you uploaded. Having not seen the new commercial, I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm looking at in those pics. I definitely see something, but theres way too much smoke and explosions to make out what it is. Damn you JJ!

Yup. There's some serious smoke and haze in the pics.

cloverfield.gif

Looks like a giant watermelon with legs.

Guest Smues
So I'm assuming this is what's going to lead to The Planets of the Apes. Hell we're already half way there with the head of the statue of liberty coming off.

I don't think the head of the statue ever came off on the Planet of the Apes, the statue was just buried in sand. Now if the monster turns out to be Dr. Zaius or Cornelius I'll mark the fuck out.

I've considered the "no reveal" option as well, but it would only piss people off. They might wait until the very end, but you'll see something. Remember, JJ got this idea from seeing a bunch of Godzilla toys in Japan and thinking America needs something like that... and not King Kong, because King Kong is cute. "Nothing" doesn't really qualify.

By the way, I think Escape From LA is watchable. You're going to be incredibly disappointed if you expect anything like Escape From New York, though.

My favorite local pizza place is called Escape From New York Pizza.

Daaamn, I was hoping it would be Cthulu.

If that indeed is the monster, it looks pretty okay I guess. I mean, it's no Cthulu, but not bad.

I have to be honest after seeing, or not seeing the the Lovecraft like monsters in The Mist. I was hoping for the Chtulu as well.

So I'm assuming this is what's going to lead to The Planets of the Apes. Hell we're already half way there with the head of the statue of liberty coming off.

I don't think the head of the statue ever came off on the Planet of the Apes, the statue was just buried in sand. Now if the monster turns out to be Dr. Zaius or Cornelius I'll mark the fuck out.

If we get the "Dr. Zaius" theme song from the Simpsons...BEST...MOVIE...EVER.

I've considered the "no reveal" option as well, but it would only piss people off.

To be honest, I think the film would be better if you don't see the monster and it would be the first time I'd applaude JJ.

The thing is, I can sort of see where you're coming from... I'd just prefer some big fucked up monster. One of the commentators on that site up there with the new picture was saying that design looked like a Ray Harryhausen monster. It totally does, and that's a good thing.

Still, as good as this movie could be, there's basically no way it can live up to the hype. Once you see the monster, people will remember they're just watching another monster movie (which is fine with me, but you know). Huge drop off from the opening to the next weekend. So in that sense I can see the value in not revealing it.

I was thinking about the sewer scene and I came to this idea: Perhaps the monster is actually a female and it has come to New York to lay her eggs, or young, or whatever it has. Said young end up in the sewers and bad-da! There is your scene. Just an idea but I can see them doing this...after all, Godzilla in the American remake was also a female and laid some eggs at MSG and then we had baby Godzilla's running around towards the end of that forgettable movie.

kuh-two-loo. I probably picked this up cause one of my teachers was named Knudeson, and he pronounced the K like that.

I've looked it up, there's apparently no wrong answer.

More alleged Cloverfield concept art.

Early art:

cloverfieldmonster.jpg

Likely final art:

cloverfield3flat.jpg

The parasites:

page_a.jpg

Guest Vitamin X
I've heard both kuh-two-loo and kuh-thoo-loo. I'm more inclined to go with kuh-two-loo personally.

I always said kuh-tool-who, personally.

I still like the snapping turtle looking thing there was a model of.

A lot of these alleged designs are too complicated and "busy". If this is meant to be an iconic creature, it should be kept relatively simple, ie Godzilla. As well as Godzilla's foes. Who are the most iconic: King Ghidorah, Mothra, maybe Mechagodzilla. Then there's Rodan, Gamera and such. All simple, easy to comprehend, easy to conceive designs.

Lesser monsters like Megalon and Gigan were too weird looking.

Always liked Gigan personally though... he's a giant space cock.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34941

Cloverfield's pre-screen comments from a few people who saw the 90% complete version.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35236

Harry Knowles opinion of the pre-screen version.

Apparently there is already a Cthulhu movie...

http://www.cthulhuthemovie.com/

That Cthulhu movie is loosely based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth, which is part of the Cthulhu Mythos, but Cthulhu isn't in it. It's a good story still, but it's not a Cthulhu movie.

There is an actual Cthulhu movie on dvd though:

Call of Cthulhu

It's modern, but done in the style of a 1920's silent movie. It's really good.

Call of Cthulhu

This sounds interesting.

I've seen it. It's definitely one of the better Lovecraft adaptations.

Also, Milky: Have you seen Godzilla: Final Wars? It has Gigan, and he's actually pretty awesome.

I've not seen it (I will eventually), but I have seen the improved Gigan design. There's a comic shop that has models of all the monsters from it.

Call of Cthulhu

This sounds interesting.

Oh it is. It's fucking great, actually. Everything from the screen effects to the music, the makeup and the animatronics makes it feel like this is an actual 20's era silent film. :)

RE: Cthulhu pronunciation.

The commonly accepted pronunciation is "kuh-two-loo," though "kuh-thoo-loo" works too. However, according to an interview with Lovecraft himself (referenced in one of the Lovecraft collections I have, I do believe entitled "More Annotated HP Lovecraft"), there is no proper pronunciation for "Cthulhu," as it is merely man putting unearthly, unhuman noises into rough verbiage for our own ears. The most accurate way to say it would be to start with the "C" sound, "kuh," and then cough out a "thoo" noise, making it almost guttural, and then almost weeze out a "loo" sound. It's hard to put to words, but it makes much more sense if you sound it out. I still go by "kuh-two-loo," since it's easier on the throat and flows much better.

If I could find a copy of the silent Call of Cthulhu to rent and see if I dig, or if it was on OnDemand or even online, but I'm not buying it without seeing it first.