TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

Alright. I went and saw Cloverfield tonight and so far,

none of the monsters in this thread are correct.

Also,

there are little monsters that drop off of it, and they look like a mix of a crab and a dinosaur. But, none of the images in this thread are right about the little monsters either

And,

they do show clear shots of the monster. It has a head, then 2 giant arms right by the head, then it's body then it's 2 little legs with a big ass tail.

Oh ya. This movie is REALLY short. I think it's something like 84 minutes long.

Like most people thought,

the love story is a big part of the movie. Guy likes girl, girl leaves him to be with other guy. Guy is mad. Girl leaves party to go home. Girl gets trapped in building and calls for help. Guy leaves rest of people and goes back to where the monster is to save girl.

This is pretty damn close to what the monster looks like.

except the arms go out to the sides and not to the front

The movie answers absolutely no questions. It's just a big as monster comes to Manhattan and fucks shit up.

I think that very first spoiler, which is the only one I read, shouldn't be a spoiler.

It reads that NONE of the monsters in this thread are correct so back to the drawing board, speculation wise.

How was the movie itself? Was it worth the hype, decent, garbage?

It was pretty good. I'm not completely sure what I think about it though. I'll have to let it sink in. I mean, it didn't suck.

Good enough for me. Seeing it Saturday

Alright. I went and saw Cloverfield tonight and so far,

none of the monsters in this thread are correct.

Is the one in the "spoiler image" that I posted last night a fake?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/219125..._59c4830f32.jpg

It's tough to see, but yeah, looks like a fake.

Also, after having a day to think about the movie, I think it's really good. I kinda want to see it again.

I was thinking, if you have participated in this thread in any way, shape, or form, you need to see this movie.

dubq 31

Cowboy13012 26

the walkin' dude 17

Vitamin X 15

Haws bah gawd 14

Milky Korova 13

Mik 12

gary floyd 12

AntiLeaf33 9

KOAB 8

justsoyouknow 7

EricMM 7

Muzz 7

cameron chaos 6

luke-o 6

Chriswok 6

The Buzz 5

2GOLD 4

Corey_Lazarus 4

DrVenkman PhD 4

Secret Agent 3

milliondollarchamp 3

Canadian Destroyer213 3

Ginger Snaps 3

MarvinisaLunatic 3

-DeN- 3

Sideburnious 3

Scroby 3

CBright7831 3

Youth N Asia 3

IK Cool Jew 3

Matt Young 2

Smues 2

MVP 2

Man Who Sold The World 2

Edwin MacPhisto 2

AmericanDragon 2

Lord of The Curry 1

ragingfear79 1

Kamala Brigante 1

brokentusk16 1

Jonathon 1

Jingus 1

Vyce 1

NYU 1

Sterling Tit 1

Diary_Of_A_Madman 1

River City Rocker 1

LME 1

WukenBloodstar 1

Mole ® 1

NoCalMike 1

Hawk 34 1

Banter 1

Battlenuts 1

jwest27 1

reign 1

Cena's Writer

You all need to see this.

Guest Smues

So I have to see it just because I wanted the monster to be Gamera (he's friend to children!) or Dr. Zaius? Weak.

The monster doesn't turn out to be either of those two does it? Because I'd see it a dozen times if it did.

I just got home from seeing it I had high hopes going in but I liked it the only problem i had was that your couldnt really understand what the actors were sayin at sometimes but other then that it was fine I will probably go see it agian.

Hud was awsome.

Did Marlena explode?

After the credits did anyone else hear Help us? because i thought i heard something but i dont know what?

did anyone elses audiance clap because it was pretty much a sell out for me and there was alot of clapping at the end the only other time that happend for me was when i seen the Hills have eyes.

did anyone elses audiance clap because it was pretty much a sell out for me and there was alot of clapping at the end the only other time that happend for me was when i seen the Hills have eyes.

Really? They tend to do that around here for any relatively new movie.

I think they could make a sequal and if they do I hope they do it without the shaky camera.

Did anyone else think the small monsters that originated from the main monster looked a lot like the bugs from Starship Troopers? I don't know why, but that's the first thought that popped into my mind when we first got a good look at them in the movie.

Going by the reactions to the trailer people are very excited for Star Trek... Iron Man not so much.

Saw it at midnight. I thought it was pretty damn great. I feels more like a ride than a movie. On the way home last night I felt like I had somehow survived the fucking destruction of Manhattan. I expected CNN to have coverage of it or something.

Guest tonyjaymzretro

saw it last night...really, really liked it...the acting was good, the story was good, the handheld camera actually added to the movie and didn't detract

of course when the movie ended half the people in the theater booed and called it bullshit because"they didn't tell us what the fuck the monster was or anything? man that movie sucked balls"

I hate seeing movies around Baltimore opening night....

I was thinking, if you have participated in this thread in any way, shape, or form, you need to see this movie.

the walkin' dude 17

You all need to see this.

Yeah if I posted that often in this topic, it's pretty clear that's my intention. It's awesome though that the movie seems to be getting positive reviews.

Various reviews that I've read confirm that the visual references to 9/11 are many and overt. I don't want to seem like I'm part of the No Fun Brigade here, but I wonder how impactful that sort of thing can be in service of a monster movie when everyone still vividly remembers an actual instance of New York being attacked.

Honestly, it might sound fucked up but I think playing off of peoples realistic fears by recreating imagery for the sake of the art is fine, if not intelligent.

I haven't seen it but I've been thinking about a sequel/prequel to kind of explain the monster in some fashion. It would be hard to do, and I don't see how they could keep the "from the perspective of the people" camera style, unless they 'uncover more footage', and I think a sequel from the perspective of the army/government dealing with it would kind of detract from the original.

I'd like to see a sequel since it's kind of set up with us not knowing about the monster, but I'm not sure you could really do an effective sequel to a movie like this. Anyone else?

Honestly, it might sound fucked up but I think playing off of peoples realistic fears by recreating imagery for the sake of the art is fine, if not intelligent.

Sure, but is that what they're doing here? My point is that it's hard for me to accept a movie with the premise of New York City being under siege as escapism when it actually happened just a few years ago. I remember thinking how amusing Independence Day and its images of major American landmarks being destroyed seems in retrospect and how you could never really milk any shock value out of anything like that ever again, but here we have the head of the Statue of Liberty being thrown clear across Manhattan. It just all seems kind of silly.

I don't know, it's kind of like at what point does something become history? I live in New York, I know it's a touchy subject, but really I don't see the point in being offended by art that's not meant to offend. If that makes any sense.

I think that's a slight reach to make the correlation between 9-11 and the Cloverfield plot. Yes in both we have NYC being under attack, but 9-11 was a situation where you had a bunch of terrorists taking command of a plane and crashing into WTC. I haven't seen Cloverfield but I assume the monster attacks the city on a larger scale, and in the Hollywood style. Now if they had inserted the WTC towers digitally in the film and had the monster take the towers out as well, then you'd have something there, IMHO.

Sure, but is that what they're doing here? My point is that it's hard for me to accept a movie with the premise of New York City being under siege as escapism when it actually happened just a few years ago. I remember thinking how amusing Independence Day and its images of major American landmarks being destroyed seems in retrospect and how you could never really milk any shock value out of anything like that ever again, but here we have the head of the Statue of Liberty being thrown clear across Manhattan. It just all seems kind of silly.

Dude, it's a fucking sci-fi movie. Seriously, get a grip.

I'd like to see a sequel since it's kind of set up with us not knowing about the monster, but I'm not sure you could really do an effective sequel to a movie like this. Anyone else?

There'll probably be some sort of short, or something like that, on the DVD to explain a few things. I wouldn't hold your breath for any huge theatrically released sequels or prequels to this movie unless it does ridiculously well at the BO.