TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

OAO Great American Bash Thread

I like how it occured to them to eliminate the super-heavyweight Henry, but not the ultra-heavyweight Khali. Way to go, 18 Smackdown superstars.

EDIT: Michael Cole with the Smackdown-to-GAB call of the night: "Oh no, the new world champion!"

I am not happy with the fact that Michael Cole had to specifically state that the Triple Threat match was No Disqualifications. All Triple Threats are No DQ matches. Now, had it been Elimination Rules, then that is a different story.

Guest Kesh
Hey, look at that. An extra $40 dollars in my wallet.

lol that was great, my sentiments exactly

Hey, look at that. An extra $40 dollars in my wallet.

lol that was great, my sentiments exactly

Same here.

Saw most of the show via stream, and hardly anything stood out as memorable other than Kane chokeslamming Khali, and Cena with a top rope FU on Lashley. None of the matches even got to *** by my book, and everything was just booked very paint by numbers in a way. I would have liked to see the end of the show with a Lashley heel turn on Cena to change things up a bit creatively, but it is what it is I guess. Orton v. Cena at SummerSlam doesnt sound good at all to me. A heel turn on Raw tomorrow by Lashley and a rematch with Cena at SummerSlam would be way better.

Did Punk really get jobbed out clean again?

Either that or he got an injury and they rushed the finish, couldnt tell since my feed went out near the end of that match. If that was indeed the finish, I dont know how they are going to explain Punk gets yet ANOTHER shot at the belt at Summerslam, if thats the plan.

What's with changing Nitro's name?

It's a smart business move to change a champions name to a rock star that died of drugs?

i was watchin a feed up until the Bullrope when it started going to crap, so i will have to check out the show hopefully on Daily Motion or elsewhere tommorow

I actually did end up getting this PPV tonight, mainly because I enjoy seeing the real ring ropes at least once a year (red, white, and blue). But man, who is booking this stuff? It seemed tonight like a bizarre mismash of Vince Russo and Bill Watts booking. The Russo stuff would be the silly shit like a midget winning the cruiser title followed by a Singapore cane on a pole match. The Watts stuff would be the constant clean heel wins that serve to kill crowds.

I know WWE is trying to go for this ultra legit and clean vibe, but you can't do it with HEELS WINNING. What is the incentive for watching Punk go after Morrison when he's jobbed clean to the guy twice now? I guess with Matt/MVP there's always the rubber match. But Jeff/Umaga? Umaga has owned him in every match.

Did they forget that heels need to do dastardly acts and cheat like mofos? If the heel actually wins clean that kinda makes him the better man. And when the heel is established as being the better man, it kills the face's heat.

I think they are at the stage now where they NEED some heels winning clean, though. Otherwise nobody takes them seriously, and there is no heat with them in the upper card against established babyfaces.

Taken individually that might not be so bad. I can see Khali beating Kane the way it went tonight. I can see MVP winning over Matt. I can see Umaga beating down a game Jeff. Orton beating Dusty. But when you do this ALL on the same PPV it gets tedious and frustrating. As I said it was like watching Bill Watts era WCW with Vader and Williams/Gordy beating everyone clean.

Aside from a spirited ending to Jeff/Umaga, the pretty fun Lashley/Cena spotfest, and Candice wrestling the match of her life in an actual passable Women's match, The Great American Bash was really boring.

Matt and MVP were off on their timing and the match was disappointing.

Sandman and Carlito was awful.

Morrison and Punk was awful.

The three-way had a couple cool big man spots but was rather boring.

The cruiser match was decent, albeit heatless. I popped for the ending.

King Booker's promo was God awful.

Hardyz/Simmons/Candice promo was greatness.

Orton/Rhodes was embarassingly bad for Orton selling his weak, slow shit. Nothing happened in this match at all. One of the most hideously dull "gimmick matches" from the 'E.

"As I said it was like watching Bill Watts era WCW with Vader and Williams/Gordy beating everyone clean."

WCW 1992 is probably the best time period ever for professional wrestling matches, you know?

"What is the incentive for watching Punk go after Morrison when he's jobbed clean to the guy twice now?"

Punk grabs a mic Tuesday. "Morrison. I've showed you straight edge. Now, you and me at SummerSlam. And I'll show you straight edge HARDCORE." ECW Rules, Morrison has some "set up" matches he easily wins against past ECW greats in no condition to compete. Punk takes the title at SummerSlam. Said ECW Legends and current wrestlers hoist him up, the new leader of the Extreme.

"But Jeff/Umaga? Umaga has owned him in every match."

It was a week-long build and random match that served to show off Umaga as a killer heel again against an over babyface bumping machine. It's not like Jeff and Umaga have this deep-seeded rivalry. Jeff won some random-ass 4-way and got a title shot. He lost. Next.

Re: Punk/Morrison Finish

Morrison did a shitty kick to Punk, who was in the air doing a springboard attack. The kick missed and alledgedly "got Punk on the knee" and Morrison simply hooked the legs and pinned him. Punk removed his kneepad post-match and said "You son of a bitch." Horrible ending. Made Punk look even WORSE since Punk stopped Morrison from doing the Money, Inc. chicken shit return to the locker room with the belt and get counted out technique. He then threw Morrison in the ring, did the spring board, got "kicked in the knee", and pinned.

"Kane chokeslamming Khali"

It wasn't very pretty. No air. It was basically Khali falling backwards. Batista and Kane got him up a bit when they put him through the table outside.

Batista Spinebustering Khali was the move of the match, he got him way up for it.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/thegreatamericanbash/

The winners speak after The Bash

How does Finlay feel about Hornswoggle's title victory? What does John Cena think he proved in defeating Bobby Lashley? Find out those answers and more in these exclusive videos.

Cena

Finlay

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms...ly22-28/5107838

hornswogglechampiy7.jpg

Yeah but Watts didn't take over WCW until roughly mid 1992. The stellar SuperBrawl and WrestleWar PPVs were largely under the K. Allen Frye regime, or maybe Watts took over literally right at that WrestleWar PPV, I forget (not sure of his actual input with that show).

By the heel wins during that era I am thinking of stuff like Vader crushing Sting cleanly or Williams/Gordy beating down the Steiners and Windham/Rhodes. Or Scotty Flamingo beating Brian Pillman clean for the lightheavy belt, which I always found weird.

The actual wrestling during that period was obviously better than stuff like this GAB tonight. I didn't say it wasn't.

Cena wins clean via Super-FU.

If FU stands for Fuck Up then you are correct. The ending was not specular enough for me to consider it the planned finish. I was kind of expecting a Falcon Arrow or a sitdown type of move what transpired was a simple fireman carry from Cena sitting on the top rope.

Caught the last few minutes of the MVP-Hardy match, so really don't have an opinion on that.

Cruiserweight Championship, can't say I'm shocked they went with that decision. I had a feeling Chavo would drop the strap, but with McMahon's decision to move away from "Wrestling" on Smackdown, I guess this is where they are gonna start.

Sandman/Carlito was a little bland, and I'm shocked Carlito won.

Candace vs. Melina was an okay match, but what stood out was Candace's improvement in the ring. If she continues at this rate she is going to be a great wrestler just like Trish. The looks and the wrestling skill. She may become a big star down the road, and I guess the teaming up with Cena is the start.

Umaga vs. Jeff was an awesome match. Probably match of the night, as both guys worked their parts great. The final sequence of the combo finish to Jeff was great. Umaga looked like a monster again in this match.

Morrison/Punk was an ok match, but they definately need to do an extreme match rules for summerslam. Punk will FINALLY take the title there, and it'll be more thrilling as this match was missing something.

Orton vs. Rhodes was a little slow and I guess they went short on time possibly. Just establishing Orton pretty much.

Triple Threat title match was actually not bad. Khali actually took some bumps and Kane and Batista looked good tonight. I have no idea where they are going with this title, but I think Khali will drop it at Summerslam.

Cena vs. Lashley was not bad at all. Started a little slow, but had a nice sequence of chain wrestling from Lashley. Lashley sort of brought it tonight and looked a little fluid in the ring. Cena did his usual stuff, but I was surprised to see Lashley protected like that. Not tapping out and not taking the pin fall to a regular FU view.

Overall either the matches were pretty good or average nothing really offensive but we'll see where they go for Summerslam.

BTW, I'm glad to see my prediction was right about Triple H and a video and Booker T. coming out to talk smack.

"If FU stands for Fuck Up then you are correct"

The Super FU Cena performed was executed flawlessly. Watch it again. Lashley was dropped squarely on his back. Cena doesn't do a Falcon Arrow. I thought the way he did this, just throwing Lashley up and having him land hard, was realistic and just SPLATTED Lashley's title hopes.

So, is NO ONE watching this?

Apparently not.

So... ALL the matches had heels going over. Just like WCW in their extra-crappy days, brilliant. Except my favourite wrestler of all time John Cena of course, who jobs out yet another "unbeaten" superstar; what is that, three different invincible badasses that Cena has defeated in just this year? And that's not even counting mini-feuds with HBK and the like.

What's with WWE always trying to intentionally book The Great American Bash to be the shittiest PPV of the year? Seriously, aside from last year (which I thought was the best SD PPV since Vengeance 2003 and No Mercy 2004), GAB has sucked complete ass, KOTR 95 levels here, since its been brought back.

The funny part is I was initially going to attend this PPV because my buddy in San Jose had a free ticket for me, but this was before Lashley was named the number one contender for the WWE Championship. So then I still had faith in Edge / Kane and then that went up in smoke so I said fuck it, its not worth the travel and I'm glad I didn't go after reading these results tonight.

The only match I gave a shit about MVP / Hardy and I'm glad to know the match was decent, I'll definitely have to get a copy of it. They should continue this feud, it'll be fun!

Wait, Orton won his match by pinfall? I thought you could only win a Texas Bullrope Match by touching the corners? Or is that only for title matches? :huh: