TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

This Week In Baseball 8/13-8/19

Personally, I prefer NL ball sans DH if only because that's where my allegiance has lain since I was a kid. I just prefer the strategy and all the 'chess match' situations that happen late in ballgames with double switches and pinch-hitting and all of that. However, I don't have anything against the DH, and I think the DH has helped to make the AL hitters better and the AL pitchers slightly better than those in the NL. An AL pitcher that has to face tough hitters 1-9 as opposed to just 1-8 is invariably going to have to 'learn' how to pitch at a higher level than an NL pitcher; that's why 9 times out of 10, when a pitcher comes over to the NL from the AL, he usually shaves about a point to a point and a half off of his ERA, Barry Zito notwithstanding. Also, the DH allows older players who can still hit but can't play defense or players who are extraodrinary hitters and subpar defenders (Mike Piazza, Frank Thomas, David Ortiz, Jason Giambi) to still play. I think a big misconception about the DH is that that spot is usually taken by a big slugger, but I personally like it when a manager uses the DH spot down at the bottom of the order as a '2nd leadoff' type slot. In that same vein, I really like the approach that TLR has been using and has used before, batting his pitcher 8th and putting a speedy or OBP guy in the 9 slot. I think if more NL teams did that, they'd score more runs (in fact, I know that they'd score more runs that way, as I've read several articles on the subject). And I think it would behoove pitchers and the NL teams that they play for if pitchers took a little more time and put a little more effort into their hitting. They don't have to hit 40 homeruns, but I don't think it would hurt their mechanics that much if they worked a little harder on plate discipline and making contact as well as bunting.

I think much of the "strategy" is bunk. The pitcher comes to bat. If there is no one on base, or two outs, he'll flail away. If there are runners on and less than two outs, he bunts. Unless there is a runner on third or third and second, in which case he'll hit. Sixth inning or earlier he stays in the game, seventh and after you get a pinch hitter. There are managerial moves, but they are all by the numbers.

In two seasons of the Red Barons in the International League, I got to see home games both with and without the DH. It's not some drastically different experience. Personally I think it's more exciting to see a .220 hitter swing away than watch the one time every couple of days when a manager has an actual decision to make. After the decision, it doesn't lead to exciting action.

Oh boy they better win it here. Farnsworth is comming in.

edit: well tomorrow should be difficult. Karstens starting, and Joba and Mo not able to pitch. I know Mo is Mo but with these "Joba rules" it really made sense to leave him in for the 9th.

Hey, has anyone heard if this Joba Chamberlain fellow's supposed to be any good?

I heard from someone he struck out Jesus in a Double A Game.

He probably would have if Karstens had been used over the weekend. It was mistakenley made "official" on NYYFans because Gammons reported that it was "likley" Kennedy would start, but he's not even on the 40 man roster, so it's not really worth it.

Man, the Giants had to win the second game of a doubleheader to avoid losing 5 straight to the *Pirates*

Bonds: Do you want to see the Giants win, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?

Giants' Fans: Dingers! Dingers!

Joba Chamberlain is as real as it gets.

Tonight: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

3 Game Totals: 5 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 8 K, 0.00 ERA

Thanks, Phillies, Tom Gordon is all yours.

Chamberlain was a top ten projected pick, but fell to 41st because of health concerns. Given that the Phillies (and 28 other teams) passed on him, I'm not terribly concerned that it happened to be a compensation pick for Gordon. I'm more concerned that C.J. Henry is hitting .165 on the season in Lakewood with 127 Ks and 16 BBs, and that Matt Smith is out with Tommy John surgery, and that we spent the Abreu money to acquire the NL ERA leader.

I'm just wondering if any of you have seen Joba pitch? It's hard not to get excited after you see him pitch.

I missed him unfortunately, but did manage to meet him briefly. Nice kid really, took time upon his debut to sign autographs after interviewing with the local television crew. It's easy to say he's overhyped, but he struck out 18 batters in 8 AAA innings, and he has yet to be challenged as a pitcher. He's really damn good.

When does this negative run differentcial thing, and the fact there starting pitchers have a losing record, and their hitters don't walk or have patience, come into play for the Mariners? This Yankee hot streak really isn't going anywhere in the WC deprartment the freaking M's don't lose.

Two things.

1. I have this sick feeling (in a good way, mind me), that the Mariners are going to get into the playoffs and do some serious damage.

2. I think I hate baseball. What did I do to deserve this punishment.

-The Yankees have pulld Kei Igawa off waivers, effectively ending any trade possibility to San Diego.

-The Red Sox are apparently very close to sending Wily Mo to a National League team. Bobby Kielty, who is 7 for his last 20 (2 HRs) is expecting a call-up as soon as something is worked out

Guest Smues

What is with all these baseball players dying before they reach 90? Congress better look into this.

Guest Smues
Don't come in here trying to push your own agenda, you media attention whore!

Rizzuto - 89

Johnny Sain - 89

Junior Thompson - 89

Bob Malloy - 88

Al Gardella - 88

Irv Hall - 88

Eddie Pellagrini - 88

Ed Bahr - 87

Art Lopatka - 87

Charlie Marshall - 87

Danny Reynolds - 87

Bobby Sturgeon - 87

All died within the last year. It has to stop!