TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

This Week In Baseball 8/13-8/19

I'm glad to see Edwar Ramirez got the job done. A guy with his stuff can be considered marginal and won't stick if he falters. I don't know if he's MLB capable, but he's clearly too good for AAA.

Well he sure looked good today.

Lets hope he doesn't sit in the pen for two weeks before being used again. And yea he does need to be good. The "Joba rules" certainly leave the pen a little empty sometimes.

Red Sox top pitching prospect Clay Bucholz might be pitching one of the games during Friday's Day/Night double-header.

That's the rumor, but I don't know what roster moves they'll make to get him on the roster. I think they can shift Donnelly to the 60-day DL, which opens up a spot on the 40 man roster. But from there it gets complicated, especially since they need to make a spot for Kielty by the end of the week or his contract voids. Presumably they send down Lester or DFA one of Hinske or Snyder. Trading Pena is also a possibility.

I'm excited to see Buchhholz in the bigs. Baseball America, Baseball Prospecuts and Project Prospect all had him rated ahead of the great Joba. With the exception of Bailey, he's the best pitching prospect in baseball.

DFA Pena, call up Buchholz, option Buchholz after the game and call up Kielty. That solves the problem and buys more time to trade Pena. Make no bones about it - if Buchholz comes up it's just for this one game - though it's likely he'll come back in September when rosters are expanded.

The other option is to start Tavarez for one of the games.

EDIT: And I think the Kielty contract CAN be voided by Kielty at the end of the week if he isn't called up, but I don't think he necessarily has to. It's a given he'd be up by September 1st at the latest.

Edited by Longdogger_Pete

Kielty has the out clause because there were a half-dozen other teams that wanted his services after he was let go by the Oakland A's. He wanted the clause so that if he wasn't up right after he signed he'd be free to latch on with another contender.

Soxprospects.com is saying that Buchholz will definitely start on Friday, but no corresponding moves have been announced. They are going to have to trade Pena or DFA Hinske to bring up Buchholz, then option him for Kielty. Better yet, they could just option Lester back to Pawtucket.

Dear Guiellmo Mota,

Dude, just take steroids again. You pitch like shit without them, and shouldn't have a job anyway, so if you get banned for life for roiding, it's no big deal. If not, at least do us a favor and kill yourself.

You mean A-Rod can't hit a 3 run homer with no one on? No wait- only Joba can.

No one is two words, not one. Noone is just noon, but with an 'e'.

Tim Hudson is 2-3 with an RBI. For a pitcher, he's a really good hitter.

Maybe when Pedro comes back the mets will DFA Sele and Mota and move Lawrence to the bullpen. I like him so far, he could help out in the pen.

Jason Jennings sucks. Bad. Really bad. Really really bad. Please don't tell me that the Cardinals are going to sneak in and win the division with 81 wins or something. If my 'Stros aren't going to win it, I want the Brewers to do it, but their rookies are cracking under the pressure. And Prince Fielder's suspended for three games for gettin' up in the grill of an umpire a few days ago at Houston. If the Cardinals DO happen to back into a division win, I wonder if they're going to convince themselves that they don't need to make any dramatic overhauls to compete in 2008, much like they did this past offseason.

soxprospects.com, who broke the story of Clay's callup, are also repoting that Jacoby Ellsbury is getting called up Friday. Keep in mind, I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else, so take it with a grain of salt. If true, it looks like the Sox got a little jealous of the Yankees showing off all their shiny, new prospects.

The Yankees signed their first round pick P Andrew Brackman to a $4.5 million major league contract ($3.3 million signing bonus) today. With escalator clauses it could reach $13 million. Shortly after, word broke that he might need Tommy John surgery. Ouch. At least if he's injured the Yankees can shuffle him right off the 40-man roster and onto the 60-day DL.

The Yankees signed their first round pick P Andrew Brackman to a $4.5 million major league contract ($3.3 million signing bonus) today. With escalator clauses it could reach $13 million. Shortly after, word broke that he might need Tommy John surgery. Ouch. At least if he's injured the Yankees can shuffle him right off the 40-man roster and onto the 60-day DL.

That isn't a suprised, the Yankees knew he probably needed surgery.

That isn't a suprised, the Yankees knew he probably needed surgery.

I don't understand why they would sign him then. He was wreck most of last year with control problems and various injuries. Now it looks like he is going to be on the shelf for a year plus because of existing elbow problems? Why not forgo the signing and take the compensation pick in next year's draft?

Look, I know the kid throws 99 MPH and has as high an upside as anyone, but the failure rate with guys of his type is astronomical. I know it worked once with Joba Chamberlain, but there is no guarantee they can do it again. I guess the Yankees would prefer the boom or bust type given their financial prowess, but that shouldn't preclude them from good decision making.

Carl Pavano has to teach these young kids something.

Anyway, if Buchholz is to make his major league debut this weekend, it will be against John Lackey in the nightcap of the DH.

I'm sure plans will change ten more times before tomorrow, but MLB.com has Beckett v. Santana in the first game.

Probably because Pena hasn't been traded yet and therefore Buchholz is not even technically on the roster. I'm nearly positive that Clay will start the first game and then get sent down immediately after for Ellsbury.

All 30 1st round picks have signed. Teams had until midnight.

You should be here Boras is essentially distancing himself from his player (Mike Moustakas) by making all sorts of comments such as "it was his decision". He has stopped just short of calling the kid a moron for signing a contract he didn't like, Boras had demanded 7 mill guaranteed the kid signed for 4.

I wonder how long he will remain the agent for this guy....

It's about time ESPN.com has a feature on Hanley Ramirez as their front page.

The rest of the world needs to recognize that the Hanley/Reyes debate was straight out silly.

It's about time ESPN.com has a feature on Hanley Ramirez as their front page.

The rest of the world needs to recognize that the Hanley/Reyes debate was straight out silly.

Hanley Ramirez is a fantastic player, but I don't think he's separated himself from Jose Reyes yet. Hanley's tremendous year is mostly batting average driven, which is not typically sustainable from year to year. He's got much more power, but Reyes is miles better as a defensive player, runs the bases better and thus far has shown more of an ability to take pitches and draw walks. We only have about 2-3 years worth of performance on these guys. This debate will continue for a long time.

Sorry, I think my heavy heavy HEAVY bias showed through there.

I agree with that. Hanley might not make it as a SS in the long run. But he's so good to watch on a daily basis, it's scary having him and Cabrera in the same lineup.

All 30 1st round picks have signed. Teams had until midnight.

You should be here Boras is essentially distancing himself from his player (Mike Moustakas) by making all sorts of comments such as "it was his decision". He has stopped just short of calling the kid a moron for signing a contract he didn't like, Boras had demanded 7 mill guaranteed the kid signed for 4.

I wonder how long he will remain the agent for this guy....

The Os didn't get Wieters signed til like 11:45 or so and he got $6 million signing bonus (largest ever) and he was only the 5th pick..and guess who his agent is..

And we wonder why the Os have often avoided drafting players who had Boras as their agent. I dont care who the guy projects out to be, he hasn't played one professional game yet and they just hand him $6 million..

I almost expect them to deal Ramon Hernandez and have Wieters starting at catcher Opening Day next season at this point..