TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

This Week In Baseball 8/13-8/19

I certainly hope that the silver lining to tonight's drubbing is the last time we're subjected to the likes of non-prospect Jeff Karstens and journeyman Jim Brower. There are better options within the organization, but they are rotting away in the Poconos right now. Sorry, al, but the real Yankees need them worse.

I certainly hope that the silver lining to tonight's drubbing is the last time we're subjected to the likes of non-prospect Jeff Karstens and journeyman Jim Brower. There are better options within the organization, but they are rotting away in the Poconos right now. Sorry, al, but the real Yankees need them worse.

Paging Edward Rameriez, paging Edward Rameriez.

I'm starting to think the Cards are destined to defy the odds and win the Central. They should only be 4.5 out by the end of the night. I can just see it now: they'll slip in there and they've even got the built-in "feel good" story. Overcoming losing their ace pitcher the entire season, having one of their pitchers die, all of the player-manager strife.

I'm starting to think the Cards are destined to defy the odds and win the Central. They should only be 4.5 out by the end of the night. I can just see it now: they'll slip in there and they've even got the built-in "feel good" story. Overcoming losing their ace pitcher the entire season, having one of their pitchers die, all of the player-manager strife.

I'm dreading this because it gives Buzz Bissinger and the like the opportunity to cream all over Tony La Russa with Sun Tzu, General Patton,etc. comparisons.

Don't forget the La Russa DUI, another "obstacle" overcome

What an ending in Wrigley, and Josh Hamilton is no flash in the pan.

Hamilton's back? How long has he been back?

So, presuming the Brewers lose tonite, that means that they've lost the last 15 starts made by Chris Capuano. Granted, he hasn't pitched that well, but he hasn't been terrible. I know that's not the record, but I'm blanking on what it is, so...quick...what's the record for most consecutive games lost by a team in a starting pitcher's starts?

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
tonite

Spell it right, dumbass. I can't take it any longer.

Edwar.

Chris Britton is the most maddening at the moment. Not only does he have the minor league numbers, he proved he can handle the big leagues last year in Baltimore.

What an ending in Wrigley, and Josh Hamilton is no flash in the pan.

Hamilton's back? How long has he been back?

So, presuming the Brewers lose tonite, that means that they've lost the last 15 starts made by Chris Capuano. Granted, he hasn't pitched that well, but he hasn't been terrible. I know that's not the record, but I'm blanking on what it is, so...quick...what's the record for most consecutive games lost by a team in a starting pitcher's starts?

Since 1957, both Mark Redman and Geremi Gonzalez are tied with 16 consecutive losses in starts. Gonzalez adds to his mark with three additional losses when he pitched in relief. Jim Lonborg started 16 consecutive losses as well, but he pitched a game in relief his team won in the middle of that streak.

tonite

Spell it right, dumbass. I can't take it any longer.

It's good to know that alternate spellings can cause you to go wonky.

So, Mark Sweeny didn't endear himself to Dodgers' fans last NITE; with no outs in the bottom of the 9th, 7-4 'Stros, he was at first base and...somebody else was on second. Anyway, Furcal struck out swinging, and then Juan Pierre popped up to the catcher. Either Sweeny forgot how many outs there were or he forgot the fundamental rules of baseball, because after Brad Ausmus caught the infield popup behind the plate, Sweeny, for some reason, was halfway to second base. He got doubled off and lost the game. All in all, it was an interesting NITE, but TONITE it's Jason Jennings vs. Brad Penny so I don't know if I like the chances of my favourite team this NITE TONITE.

Well, I keep worrying about the Brewers handing the Cubs the Central, but it's looking like the Cards are the ones to worry about.

It's disheartening to cheer this team...Braun and Fielder both homered in the first inning, and they lose 4-12. Chris Capuano does not belong in the starting rotation right now...the Brewers are 0-15 in his last 15 starts. I worried about this team relying too much on the youngsters before the season started (at least on offense...they really need a veteran elite bat in their lineup), and I think those worries were accurate.

Rizzuto had a great career as player and broadcaster, lived a long life. He was the oldest living Hall of Famer (that honor now belongs to Bob Feller).

I had read somewhere that it was Bobby Doerr.

Edwar.

Chris Britton is the most maddening at the moment. Not only does he have the minor league numbers, he proved he can handle the big leagues last year in Baltimore.

Britton is Sidney Ponson Lite..which says all I need to say.

Red Sox top pitching prospect Clay Bucholz might be pitching one of the games during Friday's Day/Night double-header.

I wanna see Wily Mo traded to St. Louis so he can platoon with Rick Ankiel. Combined they could hit 20 homers the rest of the way with like 150 strike-outs.

Red Sox top pitching prospect Clay Bucholz might be pitching one of the games during Friday's Day/Night double-header.

That's the rumor, but I don't know what roster moves they'll make to get him on the roster. I think they can shift Donnelly to the 60-day DL, which opens up a spot on the 40 man roster. But from there it gets complicated, especially since they need to make a spot for Kielty by the end of the week or his contract voids. Presumably they send down Lester or DFA one of Hinske or Snyder. Trading Pena is also a possibility.

I'm excited to see Buchhholz in the bigs. Baseball America, Baseball Prospecuts and Project Prospect all had him rated ahead of the great Joba. With the exception of Bailey, he's the best pitching prospect in baseball.

I don't know if the Cardinals can catch Chicago and Milwaukee, but it sure looks like they're trying to catch us. What in the world happened to the Brewers' pitching staff?

Jeff Suppan's a key member of it, for starters. Ben Sheets has been MIA for a while. And shit, Claudio Vargas is Claudio Vargas.