TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BorneAgain

SD Spoilers for the 8/31 Airing

From PWPopup.com

Dark Matches

*They aired the WWE corporate promotional video.

*Johnny Jeter pinned Kenny Dykstra with a spinning heel kick off the top rope. Crowd got into the match as it went on.

*The Daltons defeated Dave Taylor & Paul Burchall after Jesse pinned Burchall following a rocket launcher.

*WWE Video Feature on Christmas in Iraq.

*JBL and Michael Cole are introduced.

Smackdown:

*Video feature on Rey Mysterio's return to Smackdown.

*Smackdown opens with WWE World champion The Great Khali and Singh in the ring. Teddy Long tells them that the new number one contender will be determined in a tournament tonight. The tournament will be Finlay vs. Kane and Batista vs. Rey Mysterio with the two winners facing each other.

*Finlay defeated Kane in a tournament bout. Kane throws Finlay's shillelagh down the entrance way to keep it from the ring. Kane hits the chokeslam but Hornswoggle comes out to distract him. Finlay grabs another shillelagh, hits Kane with it while the referee is distracted, then gets the pin.

*They air a MVP-Matt Hardy video feature, spotlighting the basketball challenge.

Matt Hardy and MVP defeated Deuce and Domino to capture the WWE Tag Team champions. MVP and Hardy jawjack before the match. Matt goes right after Deuce and Domino. The crowd chants for MVP. Hardy and MVP argue between tags like Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin used to. Crowd chants for MVP again. MVP goes to the outside to hit on Cherry, missing a tag from Hardy, who has been taking a beating for most of the match. Hardy finally tags MVP by slapping him in the face. Matt hits the twist of fate on Deuce, then MVP throws Hardy to the outside, then scores the pin. MVP has both belts as he walks to the back

*Backstage, Vince McMahon tells Batista that he used to spend a lot of time in Washington, DX, so Batista could be his son. Batista says that since he was broke and Vince has a ton of money that if Batista is indeed hi son, he would beat him for not helping he and hos mother when they were dirt poor. Vince then says he doesn't see any family resemblance.

*Eugene is in the ring shooting t-shirts out of an air gun when Mark Henry comes out. Henry takes him out with the bear hug and takes the ring mic. He says that he's not scared of the Undertaker coming back at Unforgiven. An Undertaker video begins to play. They show the roads leading to a desert then they show the floor of the desert with Undertaker's hand comes up from the under the ground. Really well produced.

*Rey Mysterio defeated Batista by DQ in a Tournament Match. Batista gets the bigger pop during entrances. They have a pre-match hug. Good match. The finish sees Finlay come to ringside with a chair. Finlay hits the ring but Batista gets the chair. The referee goes to grab it and Batista shoves him down. DQ.

*Video recap of the Vince McMahon-HHH confrontation on Raw.

*Video promoting season debut of Survivor featuring Ashley Massaro.

*Vince McMahon and Jonathan Coachman make their way to the ring. Coach brings out a bunch of hot women, claiming McMahon has been with them. The first is named Cheryl with the idea Vince was with her in 1983. They then bring out three women Vince allegedly had at the same time one New Year's. They then bring out a Nun named Sister Mary Katherine. Vince says he wants one more night with all five. He says his family is coming to confront him on Raw this Monday.

*Chuck Palumbo takes the Masterlock Challenge. Masters went for it but pulled Palumbo back instead and tried beating him up. Palumbo got the upper hand. Masters rolled out and went to the back.

*They air a graphic video invitation for the Teddy Long/Kristal Marshall wedding in two weeks.

*The Daltons do a video feature on "Going back to school."

*Backstage, Jamie Noble is telling Shannon Moore that next week, he'll get his Cruiserweight championship match against Hornswoggle and after he wins, no one will ever laugh at him again. He tells Moore to get lost and walks away, but someone had stuck a "I Love Leprechauns" sign on Noble's back.

*Raw promo

*Rey Mysterio pinned Finlay with the 619 and a springboard into rollup to earn a title shot against WWE World champion The Great Khali. Mysterio is favoring his back from the match earlier tonight. Finley works over Rey's leg, but Mysterio uses his quickness to come back. Khali comes out. Rey is barely in the camera shot as they go face to face. Khali shoves Rey down.

I'd say Rey will just be filler for Khali until Unforgiven. I'm still expecting Khali vs. Batista in a Punjabi Prison match at the PPV. This doesn't look like too bad of a show, so I'll probably check it out.

This sounds like the best Smackdown since before the draft. Rey/Batista should be fun, and Rey/Finlay is always good. Finlay/Kane again is probably going to be solid as well.

Rey vs Khali makes me realize how terrible Smackdown's title division is..there are only two guys on the active roster that I want to see anywhere near the title. One is Kane and the other is BALLIN!!

EDIT: I don't want MVP near the title YET.

If they actually go with Khali vs. Rey at Unforgiven along with Batista vs. Finlay then what the hell was the point of that SS booking? If there wasn't going to be a Khali/Batista rematch then just job Batista there.

Considering Khali crushed Rey last year when Rey had the belt, why should anyone want to see that match again?

If they actually go with Khali vs. Rey at Unforgiven along with Batista vs. Finlay then what the hell was the point of that SS booking? If there wasn't going to be a Khali/Batista rematch then just job Batista there.

Considering Khali crushed Rey last year when Rey had the belt, why should anyone want to see that match again?

I would say they might hold it off until No Mercy in October and use the Halloween season as a way to sell the proposed gimmick match (Punjabi Prison or Hell in the Cell), although the PPV takes place in early October so that really wouldn't work.

Still, trying to make sense of things like this is never easy.

Didn't Khali squash Rey like a bug when Rey was the champ?

Yup, a Smackdown in San Diego last year.

They may be adding a gimmick to Orton/Cena 2 at Unforgiven, which would explain having Khali v. Rey at the ppv and moving Batista/Khali to No Mercy. And YES, I expect that match to be at the ppv - Rey v. Khali. I think they want Taker-Henry pushed as the main SD match this ppv. They aren't having a one night mini-tourney to just have a title match on Smackdown in a few weeks - this one will be more high profile than the previous match they had given Rey's return and everything. I would then guess Finley/Batista feud in the off-time which sounds completely bland as ever to me, but what else is there?! I wish Batista would get in the mix of the Taker return as well as a tweener, since he would have unfinished business with him AND Henry (given the fact Henry injured Batista way back then and they never blew that feud off due to a Henry injury, IIRC) - that would make things at least a bit interesting with his character a bit. Finlay-Kane feuding can continue for all I care.

Where da fuck is Flair? Still selling Khali's shit?

Rey vs Khali makes me realize how terrible Smackdown's title division is..there are only two guys on the active roster that I want to see anywhere near the title. One is Kane and the other is BALLIN!!

EDIT: I don't want MVP near the title YET.

I'm an MVP fan, but I agree. He has the potential to become a big draw for the WWE, he's young, charismatic, and is picking up working a good match at a fast pace. He needs to be built up, I'd have him winning Money In The Bank at Wrestlemania 24.

Mysterio from his ECW days, or even early WCW days, and don't forget his amazing stint in Mexico, that Mysterio vs. Khali would rock the house. However, that's not the Mysterio wrestling today. This will surely suck.

I was thinking about what happens on Smackdown after Summerslam, and assuming that Kahli beats Batista I dont really think they can do another Kahli/Batista match so I was trying to come up with who Kahli would face and all I could think of was Rey Mysterio. The only other credible opponent would be Mark Henry but he's facing Taker at Unforgiven next month. Rey wouldnt really be that credible either but there'd be the whole David vs Golaith angle and a nice side match til we see Taker/Kahli around Survivor Series time.

Where's my cookie damn it?

MVP carring two titles. now thats Ballin!. I 'd be surprise if hes not World Champion by 2010.

regarding the Khali/Rey Title match. I have a feeling the match will be booked in a more competitive match instead of the all out squash like last time. if thats the plan than the match could actually be pretty interesting.

Yeah MVP and Matt holding the tag belts is really interesting. I like that they are moving MVP out of being a total heel and adding some depth to him beyond cocky punk heel.

It's just a waste of talent. No one would ever believe that a man of Mysterio's size, especially with his horrible knees could EVER do any amount of damage to Khali. If it were a real fight, we'd be witnessing the death of a lucha libre legend.

I don't think anyone hates Rey. There is just ZERO credible way to have him compete with Khali, let alone win. His offense looks silly enough on guys the size of Lesnar.

I was thinking about what happens on Smackdown after Summerslam, and assuming that Kahli beats Batista I dont really think they can do another Kahli/Batista match so I was trying to come up with who Kahli would face and all I could think of was Rey Mysterio. The only other credible opponent would be Mark Henry but he's facing Taker at Unforgiven next month. Rey wouldnt really be that credible either but there'd be the whole David vs Golaith angle and a nice side match til we see Taker/Kahli around Survivor Series time.

Where's my cookie damn it?

Khali didn't beat Batista.

damn, sounds pretty good...might have to start watching SD again.

Rey was certainly over enough and credible enough to be a champion...the booking crew was just inept.

I remember a couple of years back me and Lushus were some of the few who wanted a Rey Mysterio World Title push, and I still think his overness and ability warranted it, but like many have pointed out, the booking for his reign was just terrible. I wouldn't mind Rey facing Khali and I would suspend my desbelief no problem. Rey just has to hit and move and score with some high risk moves and he'll be just fine. Of course his previous bout with Khali was a tremendous squash but it'll be different this time. Khali also completely squashed Cena at SNME (Cena didn't even hit a single move IIRC) but his other matches were completely different. No reason Rey's upcoming match shouldn't be different also.

oh I've harped about it since his match with Flair on Nitro. Last year, they had plenty of people on the roster to feud him with without exposing the product. Angle, Chavo, JBL, Booker, Orton, Benoit all on Smackdown and they could have done some crossbrand stuff with RVD, HBK, Edge and HHH. At least a year's worth of realistic (for wrestling) feuds. Any idiot could have booked that.

Are you fucking kidding me? The SD main event for Unforgiven is Rey Mysterio Vs. Khali?!! Why does WWE always insist on booking shitty main event after shitty main event? SKIP! Sorry, I'd rather have Batista getting his billionth title shot or Kane fucking getting a title shot for a change!

When did Rey Mysterio get a bunch of hate on here?

When he became World Champion

Truth be told I've found Rey to be a somewhat irritating little bastard on and off for the past 8 years or so. I first started disliking him around the time he was doing the Giant Killer gimmick in WCW and he lost his mask to Nash. Then he started emulating X-Pac WAY too much for his own good, doing the Bronco Buster and that sort of crap. Wore horns on his head.

Thankfully his 2002-2004 WWE work erased that wretched last 2 years of his WCW career. But then sometime in 2005 I started disliking Rey again, during the Eddie feud. First off I found it idiotic that he kept beating Eddie every single time, and second I wondered what sort of creep would put his son in a wrestling angle, one that even called into question the kid's real father. Then of course came the late 2005 and 2006 trash with Rey constantly exploiting Eddie's name to get himself over. And yes I know WWE was booking it, but Rey went along with that bullshit. Then he feuded with Chavo and they had the unmitigated gall to have Chavo be the heel in it for rightly calling Rey out on his Eddie exploitation.

I think that pretty much sums up why a lot of people have no use for Rey at this point.

Guest Kesh

I've always liked Rey. I do understand peoples opinions on the using Guerreros name thing. I didn't really find any of it that offensive other than what Orton said in that promo, but I guess it kind of made sense since the storyline would need Orton to really get under Reys skin to get the shot at No Way Out. Still though, kind of taking it to the extreme. Orton promo aside though the name stuff wasnt that much of an issue to me, all Rey did was the 3 amigos and wear armbands, Benoit did the 3 amigos and Eddie chest slap taunt and never got any shit for it. I'm sure if Chavo had an issue with it he would have said something.

Back on topic though, MVP and Hardy as tag champs is kick ass. I hated D&D, I think this will be an interesting continuation of the Hardy-MVP storyline. I'm really looking forward to all the matches in the 4 man tourny too. Finlay-Mysterio is always good and I expect the other 2 matches will be solid enough. Rey vs Khali probably won't be a complete squash like last time and if Rey won, which I highly doubt, I wouldn't really mind. To me suspension of belief isn't that big of an issue, its wrestling for gods sake! we know its scripted anyway.

to anyone who was there, I pose a question, what was Mysterio wearing? please not that painted gettup that he had at Summerslam again, that was just stupid.

MVP carring two titles. now thats Ballin!. I 'd be surprise if hes not World Champion by 2010.

If MVP is booked right, he'll atleast be SD! Champion by Summer 2008.

If MVP is booked right, he'll atleast be SD! Champion by Summer 2008.

perhaps a cheating victory against UT? Would do wonders for him.

to anyone who was there, I pose a question, what was Mysterio wearing? please not that painted gettup that he had at Summerslam again, that was just stupid.

I wasn't there, but I doubt he was wearing the paint. That was just another of his PPV superhero-themed outfits.