TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MTV VMA awards

None of these shows will top the 1992 awards.

Was that the one where Poison played despite grunge having hit (I think Nirvana played that show too) and hair metal being completely dead? And then managed to completely mangle 'Talk Dirty To Me' so bad that they had to restart the song?

And yeah, the VMAs haven't been worthwhile since they moved from NY to Miami. The Radio City Music Hall ones were great.

It wasn't that they mangled the song. They were playing a completely different song (Unskinny Bop, IIRC) when CC Deville, fucked up on God knows what on that particular night, started doing the riff for Talk Dirty To Me instead, so Bret Michaels called an audible and they did that.

Didn't Stern do Fartman at that show or was the the Movie Awards?

Today he said he did the show in 92.

An article I read a few months ago in the NY Daily news will probably answer why the performances were only 30 secs-1 minute long. In the article it said TRL was talked about being canceled since the ratings were so low. The reason given was the article said

MTV has created a generation of people who's attention span can't be held for the length of a music video.
That's kind of sad.

Also, I love Bowling for Soup's song 1985. MTV actually stopped playing the video since it had the line

When MTV played videos.
I guess they didn't want their audience to know that videos used to be a main part of their past.

I love the fact that MTV was created to play 24 hours of music TV. They went on to playing mostly crappy shows, so they came out with MTV2 to play nothing but 24 hours of music TV, now THEY play those shitty shows!!!

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Guys, if MTV showed nothing but videos, you'd still hate the channel for airing terrible videos.

I've never heard Kanye's version, but its probably just as bad, if not worse than anything Britney did, he's the most over-rated rapper, or performer in general of the past 5 years.

This is an inaccurate statement.

The most, no, but he's certainly up there.

I miss the early-mid 90's of MTV. Those were the days. Sure, you'd have to sit through the Real World, or Road Rules (the first couple seasons were pretty entertaining, before they started Real World vs Road Rules), but you still got to see the occasional Music Video when it wasn't 3 AM. Of all the "reality" shows on MTV, the one I miss the most is Fear. It came on from the late 90's to the early 2000's and was about a small group of people who had to go into closed prisons or hospitals to investigate hauntings. God, I wish they would give this a DVD release.

I just don't understand why MTV doesn't have a video channel on basic cable anymore.

Youtube is no substitute.

If there was a market in the 80's, there is a market today.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Sure, it's a substitute. We can watch any video we want on demand, and we don't have to sit through ridiculously long commercial breaks (I swear MTV's are worse than anyone's). Besides, if MTV did play lots of videos, they'd be by Fall Out Boy, Jay-Z, Fall Out Boy featuring Jay-Z, Gym Class Heroes, Gym Class Fallout, Gwen Stefani, Lupe Fiasco, Amy Winehouse, and all sorts of artists that aren't very good. As it's been pointed out, most music videos aren't that good, anyway. I think a lot o us get way too caught up in the "MTV needz moar video" crusade. I've been guilty of it myself. Just move on.

The article (from 95) that someone posted seemed to cover that pretty extensively (the music on MTV). Simply put, you don't keep viewers on your station with 3 minute videos. They watch the video they like, then tune out again. Unless you plan on having 30 minute music videos, its just not a good way to make money.

I'm part of the "I wish MTV had actual M on it" crowd too but the article made me think - if MTV suddenly went to 90% music videos, how much of it would I really watch? I certainly wouldn't watch it in an hour block of time. I'd tune in during commercials or for a few minutes when I'm bored to see if a specific video is on.

I liked when MTV would do those themed video blocks in the early 90s.

They do have an all video channel on expanded cable, but it's pretty much all the acts Czech mentioned plus the other usual suspects over and over and over again.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
I dunno, how are you gonna find that new video if you have to type in a search for all of 'em?

Didn't you just answer your own question? Besides, it's the fucking Internet. If I can find Saved by the Bell slash-fiction with relative facility, I can probably track down a new Death Cab video, don't you think?

Seriously, thats just a result of lazy / top 40's programming.

if they built up arcs of videos like they occasionally did, people might enjoy it more and tune in.

I guess they have shitty ad revenue, but I dunno.

They may need to have more themed shows, so that you'd have an audience. I mean, if I'm watching to see the new Bjork video or whatever, and the new 50 cent comes on, damn right I'm tuning out...

IMF is your music video station now. Seriously, it has one show every once in a while that is 5 minutes of culture about a country, the rest is music videos from around the globe.

So far it hasn't been destroyed and it does play some good videos every now and then. Journey to the Center of Rock would be better if they had some better rock bands but eh, take what I can get.

As for this show, I think Britney did a wonderful job setting the pace for the night. She was a disaster that didn't look like she wanted to be there and the show was a disaster full of people who didn't want to be there. She did her job perfectly so well done to Miss Spears. If no one else was going to bring themselves to care, there was no reason for her too.

Guys, if MTV showed nothing but videos, you'd still hate the channel for airing terrible videos.

I've never heard Kanye's version, but its probably just as bad, if not worse than anything Britney did, he's the most over-rated rapper, or performer in general of the past 5 years.

I say he is wrong in both aspects. Kanye isn't really that highly rated as a rapper. At all. People like his music, but they prefer it when he is producing for Common than listening to him. So basically, you can't be overrated if noone but yourself rates you that high.

Now he is definately number one on my list of people I would punch just randomly if I ever had to spend 5 minutes with them. He passed that albino looking dude in the black eyed peas last year and has been widening the gap every since.

And she looked good doing it!

I certainly don't have that channel. Do you use the internets?

IMF is on DishNetwork, I don't know if anyone else has it but I know Dish does. It's the only music channel I watch anymore. It's a lot more rap than anything but each style has at least one hour or so block to play music. Not country of course, they already have their own channel.

MTV could learn much from Canada's Much Music from the early to late 90's and even now.

**EDIT**

also, most cable providers offer videos on demand with a much wider of a variety than MTV has ever offered. You should check with your local cable company and see if you have it. I know Time Warner has it here @ Ohio State and they have some pretty awesome videos most of the time.

MTV could learn much from Canada's Much Music from the early to late 90's and even now.

**EDIT**

also, most cable providers offer videos on demand with a much wider of a variety than MTV has ever offered. You should check with your local cable company and see if you have it. I know Time Warner has it here @ Ohio State and they have some pretty awesome videos most of the time.

MuchMusic was amazing in the 90s. Now they show too many D-grade reality shows like Who gives a fuck what Jack Osbourne is doing this week and endless repeats of that search for the next Pussycat Doll shit. But they still play a decent amount of videos, so good on them.

**EDIT**

MuchMusic was amazing in the 90s. Now they show too many D-grade reality shows like Who gives a fuck what Jack Osbourne is doing this week and endless repeats of that search for the next Pussycat Doll shit. But they still play a decent amount of videos, so good on them.

MuchMusic was all I watched when I went to Windsor for my birthday last year. Surprisingly, I didn't see one Sloan video.

I miss the early-mid 90's of MTV. Those were the days. Sure, you'd have to sit through the Real World, or Road Rules (the first couple seasons were pretty entertaining, before they started Real World vs Road Rules), but you still got to see the occasional Music Video when it wasn't 3 AM. Of all the "reality" shows on MTV, the one I miss the most is Fear. It came on from the late 90's to the early 2000's and was about a small group of people who had to go into closed prisons or hospitals to investigate hauntings. God, I wish they would give this a DVD release.

I remember Fear. They had a celebrity version of it on VH1 not too long ago. Also, I think there is a DVD on that show Fear. I don't think its every episode, but it's behind the scenes.

**EDIT**

MuchMusic was all I watched when I went to Windsor for my birthday last year. Surprisingly, I didn't see one Sloan video.

Man, I remember back in high school if I was ever home sick I'd just lay on the couch and tune into MuchMusic and it would be nothing but videos all day and MuchNews once an hour. They'd just have huge long blocks of VideoFlow, Much MegaHits, and Much Classic MegaHits, and then the MuchMusic Countdown on certain days. Sure they played a lot of shit (Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys etc.) but there wasn't too much repetition and you got some relatively obscure/older stuff too. Good times.

All Much shows now are episodes of the OC.

Naw, that's not true. MuchMegaHits, MOD, Spotlight, VideoFlow, Countdown, TopTens, Much Adrenaline, Video On Trial, TheNewMusic, PunchMuch, RapCity, The Wedge, MuchVibe, Going Coastal, The Punk Show, and LOUD are all shows centered around music videos.

However, during primetime, yes Much is the OC or shitty reality shows.

So it's a hell of a lot more than you can say for MTV. Plus Much actually shows full songs, not just clips too.

I say he is wrong in both aspects. Kanye isn't really that highly rated as a rapper. At all. People like his music, but they prefer it when he is producing for Common than listening to him. So basically, you can't be overrated if noone but yourself rates you that high.

Now he is definately number one on my list of people I would punch just randomly if I ever had to spend 5 minutes with them. He passed that albino looking dude in the black eyed peas last year and has been widening the gap every since.

That's my argument. He overrates himself, but he gets very little attention from anyone else.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
That's my argument. He overrates himself, but he gets very little attention from anyone else.

That's not entirely true. He gets heaps of critical praise.

So they have a condensed and cleaned up replay right now, and indeed this was pretty much a trainwreck of a show. MTV, in the way they produce, try to be too futuristic, unique and high level or something and it comes across like just a clusterfuck.

Music Video Television is dead, please stop asking for it to return.

The Era of watching music videos on TV is expired and out of date. Does that suck? Yes, but it's technological evolution.

You can't expect people to say "Hey, YES, the Top 10 is on! Hopefully I'll get to see "X" tonight! It's my favorite!" when they can easily find the video on YouTube in 5 seconds.

Also, "Shit man, I need to learn about some new metal/alternative bands, I'll watch Headbangers Ball at 1 AM!" doesn't work because of the technology which allows for massive non-corporate blogs, video feeds, etc. to hype up new music and allow you to download their material on Limewire, Youtube, Demonoid, and every music site you can think of.

MTV Sucks Now.

But there's nothing that MTV can do to make itself better.

Music Video TV is a dead genre. They don't have shitty reality shows to piss you off. They have them because they're latching onto what's popular to save their asses the best they can. Playing music videos all day is just like popping in a DVD of He-Man. It may be nostalgic, but it isn't necessarily any better for you and doesn't appeal to our growing and moving forward society.

MTV is SO similar to WWE. Once heralded pop phenomenons that became outdated and don't fit in with the current generation's progression (who wants to watch choreographed poor actors on steroids when there's legit shoot fights? Even marks who claim "My fav. wrestler WORKED HIS WAY TO THE TOP! knows deep down that a UFC guy winning an opener legit means more than a WM Title win, because the latter is fake. Apparently mainstream society agrees, given the ratings and buyrates and fact there is one profitable promotion...). MTV, like WWE, is a victim of technology and is outdated.

Much like mainstream pro wrestling, MTV should just be ignored and forgotten, not bitched about. But it's so damn addicting to pick it apart, heh.

GYM...CLASS...FALLOUT!

To show you how much MTV is meaningless, imagine Sharon Stone in 1992 giving an award to "Guns 'N Chili Peppers".

Red Jed said:

"MTV, in the way they produce, try to be too futuristic, unique and high level or something and it comes across like just a clusterfuck."

Sounds like every WWE production since 2001.

The what makes WWE and MTV so alike is they can afford to be shitty because people will still watch it. I mean 7 million people watched this years awards all to see a trainwreck. And they got what they wanted. Why should they change just because you old folks don't want to watch it and miss your "videos". So what? They aren't catering to you. MTV is for the 12-21 age group and mostly female.