TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Ol' Smitty

Dungeons & Dragons

I'm this close to playing D&D with my girlfriend. Coincidentally I'm this close to scoring with her as well. I should invest in a robe and wizard hat, kill two birds with one stone.

I started playing D&D with friends a month or two back. None of us have any idea how to play D&D, so we got the booklets, and I ended up inheriting the role of "rule guy" and DM.

It's fun. We've stuck to modules (or adventures) because we're still new, and alot of modules come with maps. Premade Maps = HANDY.

I'm sure a veteran D&D player would lose their mind playing with us, since alot of the rules are still hazy, but we make it work.

I'm 23 (going on 24) and still play DnD.

I've always had a thing for the White Wolf series of RPG's however (Vampire: the Masquerade, the new Vampire: the Requiem and a few others)

I just can't get too in to DnD because of all the outside source books one needs to buy in order to really have fun with it.

IE: All of the monster manuals, the spellbooks, the race books and etc...

As far as asking others? I think Wizard (that's who's got the license on it now, right?), has a message board you can post on to see if there are people in your area that'd be up for a game or if they've already got a game going and need extra players. That's how I found one campaign to join as a Half-Elf Ranger... wasn't DnD.. but the other universe they run based off of the same d20 rules.

Well, since it's sorta a pen and paper RPG...plus a game board...

I'm wondering, how many people around here actually remember the RPG board game "Hero Quest"?

I never played DnD in my life, but me and my friends got really into Hero Quest. I think that we were just too lazy to play DnD and Hero Quest was basically the same thing, but easier to understand.

I've been playing D&D and its various incarnations since I was 11 years old.

That being said, I have only been a well-adjusted adult since I turned 28 or so.

There is nothing at all wrong with it, as long as you don't take it too seriously. Its fun, its a night hanging out with your friends, its a game that promotes tactical thinking and teamwork. I think a lot of people don't want to play it because of the negative stigma that has been attached to such a game.

I'm wondering, how many people around here actually remember the RPG board game "Hero Quest"?

I never played DnD in my life, but me and my friends got really into Hero Quest. I think that we were just too lazy to play DnD and Hero Quest was basically the same thing, but easier to understand.

Who did you play as?

I usually played as either the Dwarf, the Wizard, or both.

"I'm a ninth-level vice president!"

I'm surprised more people don't play D&D, by which I mean it can be hard to get into if you don't have a group already. It's nerdy as hell, but life is just fucking full of nerds. Case in point, look at the amount of adults that watch/read Harry Potter. And most of those are ordinary people. D&D is basically Harry Potter: The Game, with nerd dice and more violence.

"I'm a ninth-level vice president!"

I'm surprised more people don't play D&D, by which I mean it can be hard to get into if you don't have a group already. It's nerdy as hell, but life is just fucking full of nerds. Case in point, look at the amount of adults that watch/read Harry Potter. And most of those are ordinary people. D&D is basically Harry Potter: The Game, with nerd dice and more violence.

Thing is, most of those nerds like things automated.

That's why there's "World of Warcraft", I'm guessing.

Who did you play as?

I usually played as either the Dwarf, the Wizard, or both.

I don't remember if I prefered anyone specifically. I know I liked the barbarian just because he was the strongest.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I quit playing right around when I lost my virginity. That's not a slant to other dorks, since I used to be one, just a statement of fact that I preferred chasing girls to chasing goblins. My dorky high school pals and I would play this game all the time, mainly as an outlet for our violent teenage fantasies. I had some outrageously high-level character that I revisited a couple times before leaving for college. Haven't played in several years though, and I don't really have any interest to anymore.

That said, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with being a DnD dork, but the social stigma and mockery associated is both very real and very well-deserved. I think there's really a kind of DnD shame mindset.

Case in point: There's this guy at work named Brian. Now, he's an ok guy and everything, but he lives his life completely embroiled in fantasy. He's a hardcore DnD gamer, and also participates in civil war reenactments, WWII reenactment/history buff fantasy shit. It's clearly more than a game for him.

He used to do the job that I do now, but was run out for being such a tool. Once, I went into the office to get some equipment, and he had books, character sheets, and dice out on the desk, presumably rolling up characters. I startled him, and he looked at me like I'd just caught him masturbating.

Don't be like Brian. It's just a game.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Another sidenote: I sampled the fuck out of some DnD instructional cd that came with some beginner quest. It was the voices of five children sitting around in a room, when one comes in and says "Hey everybody! I just picked up the new Dungeons and Dragons game!" and the rest of them fuckin' rejoice and socially accept him unconditionally. It's a riot.

I had Hero Quest, sold it to someone on this board about 3 years ago. I still have Warhammer 40K sitting around somewhere.

As far as table top games, several comic shops around here have "game nights"...I suppose you just go and get in good with those guys and eventually you can play with them.

I had Hero Quest, sold it to someone on this board about 3 years ago. I still have Warhammer 40K sitting around somewhere.

As far as table top games, several comic shops around here have "game nights"...I suppose you just go and get in good with those guys and eventually you can play with them.

I read up on wikipedia about it and apparently Hero Quest and the expasnion sets sell for a lot. How much did you get?

It wasn't that much, I can't remember...I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could have sold it for a lot, but I really didn't care. I hadn't played it in years and he wanted it so I just took whatever for it.

I played D&D and the Star Wars RPG for a couple years in high school. Got out of it when I just got too caught up in other stuff. I actually ran our Star Wars game, after we decided the guy who was running it was kind of lame and not following the rules. I sold all my books a few years ago on ebay, and kind of regret it, as it would be fun to go back and look at the characters we made again.

Guest Tsukuyomi

I've played DnD for a while, and actually the Star Wars RPG as well. I wargame (Like, 40K, not reenactment stuff), so it's nice to have something a bit more characterful running in the background. I use it as a creative outlet most of the time, as I like to write plotlines and it's a nice way to have them actually play out in some sort of fashion.

And I'm a dork for other reasons (Just look at my sig), so I don't really care about the stigma. It's not like I tell girls on the first date to roll up a character or something. By they time they learn I play, they normally know me well-enough to get past a quirk like that.

Did anyone else play the STREET FIGHTER ROLE PLAYING GAME?! I did. It was made by White Wolf and actually had a pretty nice combat system, but, even as a fan, I find the concept ridiculous.

Almost a year since the last post. Talk about resurrecting a thread.

About a month or so ago, me and my friends picked D&D back up...This time we went from 3.5 to 4th. Quite the leap. We had to build our characters from scratch, and I've accepted the role as DM. 4th Edition has simplified things (you know, for us dumb folks like myself) so that we could actually UNDERSTAND and not be overwhelmed by seemingly pointless choices. It still has been rough going, but we've gotten along much easier this go around then before. We almost, ALMOST seem like we know what the fuck we're doing.

As a DM, I find it to be incredibly fun to do. Unlike the original go around where I found modules and maps, I've forwent that and made my own campaigns from scratch. There's something unexplainable about setting up situations, and watching how they do things. They've done things I would have never expected that I had to deal with on the fly.

A great example...In the first campaign I set up, they were confronting the crooked mayor who had been working with pirates to use the town as a smuggling operation. When the mayor clammed up, the rogue named Khanryuu suddenly ran up, pulled out his dagger and held it against the Mayor's throat while threatening to kill him if he didn't talk. I naturally had the mayor give his information at this point, and they locked him up...He later broke free and led an attack on the town (With the Pirates Jack De'Locke and Martha De'Locke...), but the party subdued him and presumedly killed him. What the PC's didn't know, was he wasn't dead but just injured. He was locked up and sent to another town from there.

I then brought back the Mayor for the next campaign...He led a revolt in the Prison of Barrigal. Before the PC's handled that, they had blundered into the lair of a dragon. The dragon gave them the choice to either all die, sacrifice a person in the party, or bring an "innocent" to be eaten, because the Dragon was an evil, evil being and liked watching them squirm. What the party did, was they went to the Prison, took out the revolting prisoners, and then proceeded to knock the former mayor out, and then threw *HIM* to the dragon, insuring that there was no possible way I could ever bring him back. They found glee in that.

Our set up is interesting too...We all live in different states (well, two live in California since their brothers), and so we set up our games using Skype, and Maptools. We create basically an interactive online place for us to play D&D on...or even shit like Zombies!!!

We're figuring out stuff as we go, but we have fun. I'm interested to know if anyone on here would be interested in joining us? We generally play Thursday-Saturday depending on our schedules. You'd need at the very least Maptools 1.3 B41, and I'd have to get one of our other players to keep you informed through text, but it would be manageable (I cannot see chats...or much...on Maptools due to my WALL OF TEXTS). Otherwise we could try to get over the shyness from Skype and do that. Our games are informal, varying from third person speak to breaking the character walls down. I'd like to find someone on our level of experience, but experienced is fine. If you've got no 4th edition experience, that'd be fine too...J00 just would have to be willing to learn. That helps. Alot.

Right now I'm handling three NPCs, monsters and everything else. It...gets taxing, depending on the situation in game...but if I just make it so it's just the PC's while it would speed up the game I feel it would lose some of the flavor.

If anyone has any D&D stories, I'd love to hear them too. I'm new to the DMing thing, but we've already got some pretty cool stories. Plus, stories = new ideas for future events. I got no problem idea jacking people. Victimless crime I says.