TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

ROH Detroit-Chicago(PPV) Weekend

Another big weekend from ROH, especially with the Chicago show being one of the most packed shows ever. Detroit, is clearly a lesser show on paper but those shows tend to surprise .

Detroit

ROH World Title Match

Takeshi Morishima Vs Winner of the 4CS Match

Four Corner Survival Match

Delirious Vs Roderick Strong V Erick Stevens Vs Kevin Steen

World Tag Team Title Match

Austin Aries and Matt Cross Vs Jay and Mark Briscoe

Naomichi Marufuji Vs El Generico

Jack Evans Vs Rocky Romero

Special Attraction Match

Jimmy Jacobs W/ Lacey Vs Chris Hero W/ Sara Del Ray, Tank, Larry Sweeney and Bobby Dempsey

Tag Team Challenge

Nigel McGuinness and Claudio Castagnoli Vs BJ Whitmer and Brent Albright w/ Adam Pearce

ALSO APPEARING

Bryan Danielson

Davey Richards

Daizee Haze

THE YRR

Mitch Franklin and others

CHICAGO

PPV TAPING

ROH WORLD TITLE REMATCH

Bryan Danielson Vs Takeshi Morishima

WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE LADDER MATCH

Jay and Mark Briscoe Vs Kevin Steen and El Generico

The Final Match (The unofficial farewell match for Sydal)

Matt Sydal Vs Delirious

SHIMMER DREAM MATCH

Daizee Haze and Amazing Kong Vs Lacey and Sara Del Ray

Singles Challenge Series

No Remorse Code(Strong, Richards and Romero) Vs The Resilience(Aries, Cross and Stevens)

*Project 161 revealed*

ALSO APPEARING

Nigel McGuinness

Naomichi Marufuji

Jack Evans

Jimmy Jacobs

Brent Albright

Claudio Castagnoli

Chris Hero

THE YRR

Irish Airborne

If you ask me, Chicago is so stacked that Detroit really could have used one of those matches.

They need to pack Chicago. It's a PPV taping. They need to broaden their fan base. It's actually a very smart move, and plan. With the WWF currently weakened, and TNA being TNA, there's room for another National level federation.

Are you kidding? ROH isn't going to be a national fed anytime soon, if ever. For that you need national TV, and a real PPV, not just a glorified informercial that is pretaped, airs on different dates on different cable providers, and has the end goal of selling more DVDs off the website. Plus, to run nationally, you'd have to Run Nationally, a problem ROH has always had with refusing to run shows outside of their Northeastern stonghold (and no, the England/Japan/Cali shows don't count, they're rare exceptions).

Danielson is a goddamned idiot for going back into the ring with the same guy who hurt him just a mere three weeks after suffering a crushed orbital bone and a detached retina. I've got one buddy who suffered a detached retina two years ago that kept him from wrestling because one bad impact, one wayward strike, and he'd be blind in that eye permanently.

They need to pack Chicago. It's a PPV taping. They need to broaden their fan base. It's actually a very smart move, and plan. With the WWF currently weakened, and TNA being TNA, there's room for another National level federation.

ROH has no intention of being a NATIONAL promotion (although the VS. rumor persists but you'd might as well run on cable access). The business model (something TNA doesn't really have other then SPEND! SPEND! SPEND! and make nothing!) is to live off the sales of the DVD and it obviously works. The PPV deal is an additional advertisement for the product.

Since when is Chicago/Detroit/Dayton a part of the northeast? Hell, Chicago has more shows then NYC does. Also, with regularly planned stops in England and Japan (two tours a year, which is about what WWE does for all of their international markets) isn't an exception. Vegas and SF, for the moment, are exceptions but they will test that market as well as Florida next year. That is called expansion. They haven't refused to get away from the Philly/NYC/Jersey/Boston market.

Not saying that the SHOULD try to expand to national status. Just saying that they can't, at least not now.

As to the regional thing, part of that is just personal geographic bias. I've lived in three different states now, and not only has ROH never run any of them, they've never run any of the states bordering them. I don't understand why they refuse to ever run any shows in Red State territory.

Well I'm sure if the shows in San Francisco, Vegas, and Orlando do well enough they'll make return trips, and if they are going to make return trips out that way...I'm sure they'll eventually say things like hey lets try out Georgia or lets try out Texas while we are down here.

Not saying that the SHOULD try to expand to national status. Just saying that they can't, at least not now.

As to the regional thing, part of that is just personal geographic bias. I've lived in three different states now, and not only has ROH never run any of them, they've never run any of the states bordering them. I don't understand why they refuse to ever run any shows in Red State territory.

Maybe the figure Republicans don't care for workrate?

Fuck, fuck, fuck! I really wanted to be there at the Chicago show, especially since there's basically a GCW match (Matt vs. Delirious) as one of the big matches, but like three different things landed on the 15th, and I can't go to all of them.

Where'd the crushed orbital bone come from? I've heard nothing of it... And Morishima will likely protect the eye just fine. Nor do I see how a 2 hour PPV with two MOTY candidates is a "glorified infomercial." Nor is the 2nd PPV, which has what is LIKELY the MOTY for the main event.

I'll be heading to Detroit in a couple hours--can't wait for Generico/Marufuji!!! Gonna try to convince my buddies to road trip to Chi-town after... :boxing:

Agreed, easily the "Worst" Detroit show they've had. Still better than anything from TNA or WWE of course, but not up to ROH standards. Marufuji/Generico was MotN for sure, lots of fun, if a little short. The Morishima/Stevens match was also fun, even though it was a foregone conclusion what was going to happen. Evans/Romero was a fun little spotfest "Street fight." The main event was a bit slow by Briscoe standards, but I think Aries is still protecting his knee a little. Not terrible, just not their usual pace.

The rest of the show was pretty meh. The first few matches were all pretty much jobbers, and Hero/Jacobs was boring as hell--but I suspect Jacobs was still going easy on the knee and making sure it was 100% before he tries any real matches. Whitmer/BJ as a team is a little weird, BJ with short blond hair looks like Steve Corino--it was an ok match vs Claudio and Nigel though.

Overall, still worth the price of admission, still better than any WWE or TNA live event I've ever paid for, just sorta "eeehh" by ROH standards. The whole thing belt like the "B Show" that it was, leading up to the PPV taping tomorrow night. Hopefully their return in April will be a bit bigger.

I will post thoughts in detail this evening about last nights show, but I will say that ROH's $10 DVD grab bags are pretty good deals.

The average bag consists of. I ended up buying 5 of them. You got 4 DVDs. Mixes of ROH shows, FIP shows, best ofs, Shimmer shows, Shoots, and obscure indy shows from elsewhere.

So while Detroit wasn't a bad show, it was a very forgettable show. I don't think I'll recall much from this one down the line. I would have Jack vs Rocky as MOTN personally. Closely followed by Generico vs Marufuji match.

Hero vs Jacobs was dull. When Hero does his Zybisco stalling before his matches it just takes me out of it. And when you have Sweeny and the gang taking attention away from the match it just hurts it even more.

It was my first time seeing Morishima. He was good, but I wasn't blown away.

Wonder how long Delirious can keep his identity secret with that little beard thing.

It seemed like it was the "Tomorrow's the ppv so let's not get hurt show."

ROH security is just awful now about kicking people out as soon as the show is over. IWA was great about that, you could hang out for an hour or longer easy after every show and not get hassled.

Like I said, not bad, but the least of the 6 shows I've been to.

Results

Preshow

1) Ernie Osiris & Silas Young defeat Bobby Dempsey & Rhett Titus when Young pinned Titus.

Main Show

~The announced name for the Pay-Per-View is "Man Up".

1) Nigel McGuinness defeats Naomichi Marufuji, Chris Hero, and Claudio Castagnoli with a lariat on Claudio. Excellent match.

2) Rocky Romero defeats Matt Cross with a hard kick to the head.

~Roderick Strong vs Austin Aries is set to happen next, but Strong backs out. Instead Austin Aries will face Davey Richards.

3) Austin Aries defeats Davey Richards. Richards used a ton of headbutts, german suplexes, and a crossface. Acting very Benoit, as was reported in Manhattan. Aries wins with a 450.

4) Roderick Strong defeats Erick Stevens with a Gibson Driver to give the NRC a 2-1 victory. AWESOME match, and a total stiff chop fest. Strong was bleeding from the chest.

5) ROH World Championship: Takeshi Morishima retains the ROH World Championship over Bryan Danielson via ref stoppage. Morishima continued pummeling Danielson's eye until the referee stopped the match.

6) ROH World Tag Team Championship Ladder Match: The Briscoes retain the ROH Tag Tam Championships in what was described as "The greatest match I've ever seen in my life. Too many spots to name. Package piledriver on a ladder as well as a Jay Driller. Jay pulled down the belts."

6) ROH World Tag Team Championship Ladder Match: The Briscoes retain the ROH Tag Tam Championships in what was described as "The greatest match I've ever seen in my life. Too many spots to name. Package piledriver on a ladder as well as a Jay Driller. Jay pulled down the belts."

~After the match The Briscoes are attacked by Tyler Black, Jimmy Jacobs, and NECRO BUTCHER! Jay is hogtied to the apparatus that held up the belts, and lifted 10 feet in the air bleeding. Jimmy stands under him cutting a promo getting covered in blood. Jimmy opened his mouth and drank his blood.

Do It For Her and Necro Butcher. Wow.

That's just the PPV taping, they still have the DVD only matches to follow. Which seems silly to me to have the big PPV matches first then leave a bunch of stuff to close the show that won't compare.

Jacobs, Black and Necro is a good group although I'm sure some will be let down by the 161 hype, the same hype they created for themselves. The ladder match, as I expected sounds insane and the 161 beatdown looks really good.

I like how the World Title match is said to have ended, especially after the announcement made by Gabe coming from Morishima about not going for the eye. Now if Danielson gets the strap out of it, that'd be a good hot set-up for a title change.

Here are the dvd only results

~INTERMISSION~

7) Mitch Franklin defeats Alex Payne.

8) Amazing Kong & Daizee Haze defeat Sara Del Rey & Lacey when Daizee pins Lacey.

9) BJ Whitmer & Brent Albright mauled The YRR of Chasyn Rance & Kenny King. YRR got squashed.

~The stable of Adam Pearce, Brent Albright, & BJ Whitmer is the "Hangman 3". Some in the crowd chanted "No More Stables!"

10) Tyler Black vs Jack Evans went to a no contest when the Age of the Fall interfered via Necro throwing a chair at Jack. The match was then made a 6 man with Irish Airborne being added. The match again ended in a no contest when Necro Butcher knocked out the referee. Wild ass brawl.

11) Delirious defeats Matt Sydal in a good (not great) match to end the show in a little over 20 minutes. Fans chanted "Thank you Sydal".

5) ROH World Championship: Takeshi Morishima retains the ROH World Championship over Bryan Danielson via ref stoppage. Morishima continued pummeling Danielson's eye until the referee stopped the match.

Just when you thought ROH couldn't get any lower.

It's called a work. Just the same as anyone from your precious WWE does. Austin had a neck injury, the heels would target the injury. ROH doing an worked beat down on a legit injury isn't low. That's traditional wrestling. If you want examples of low, look at the many shining examples rampant in WWE, TNA and other promotions. ROH is culpable but lowness doesn't translate with a worked injury attack.

You bitched about the ROH crowd in NYC being too loud and hot.

We get it, you don't like ROH.

That said if this puts Danielson out for a while, building up to a big match at Final Battle, I dig.

The way they hit each other with stiff strikes and drop each other on their head with reckless abandon(SPIKED JAY DRILLER!!! ROH ROH ROH) you would think they are legitimately trying to kill each other.

Sorry. I thought pro-wrestling was about working the crowd into believing that you are beating your opponent while being as light as possible with him. Not low kicking them limp and getting your eye socket broken and then having a match with the same guy after two weeks and getting hit repeatedly in said eye socket. When I want to see two dudes beating the shit out of each other I watch MMA.

~The stable of Adam Pearce, Brent Albright, & BJ Whitmer is the "Hangman 3". Some in the crowd chanted "No More Stables!"

AMEN!

Seriously, enough. No Remorse Corps, good use of the three guys. Resiliance, shitty name, seem like they were chosen totally at random, bearable. Vulture Squad, dumb name, makes sense with the storyline. What doesn't make sense is to throw these three (EDIT: that being Whitmer, Albright and Pearce of course) together and dilute things stable wise (with yet another HORRIBLE name), especially considering you've already got Sweeney's crew and Project 161, debuting on the same show no less. Three stables works. Four was bearable since Sweeney's is a little different in structure. Six is verging on WCW 1998 overkill.

Edited by King Cucaracha

I'm not crazy about the Hangmans 3 either, but if this leads to a Trios Tourny or something similar, then I'm fine with it.

Every stable right now makes sense except for this one. It's just not needed but I'll try to keep an open mind for now. I love Dragon Gate.

Pretty excited about Necro Butcher. I hope he's at the upcoming ppv in NJ. Never seen him live before. Haven't seen much of his work outside of ROH and PWG but he always seems to deliver. Good stuff.