TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garfieldsnose

RIP zio's dog

This morning, we had our dog put to sleep. She was a french buchan, and in the past few years she has had a really rough time. In that span, she's had various skin infections in which she bit her skin and made herself bleed all over her body, she went blind, she had kidney failure, tumors all over her body, arthritis -- all those the main problems. Her heart and her lungs were as healthy as ever, until last week. My mother took her to the vet and they said she had a heart murmor. We decided then that this morning would be the day. My father and my sister did not go, just me and my mother. It was as if my dog knew exactly what was going on, because she had been doing the exact opposite that she normally does. Just as recent as last week, and all before that, we would put her in a carrier and take her to the car and she would whine and everything until the trip was over. Today, she refused to go in the carrier, when I got her in the car, she was quiet the entire way there, and the only time she whimpered was when they were ready to sedate her. All last night she was following me and my mother wherever we went, and she hasn't done that in years. I asked my mother if our dog seemingly knew what was going to happen, and she really didn't know.

So, they sedate her while they won't let us hold her, but my mom is petting her because she is whimpering and scared. After they sedate her, it doesn;t even take 10 seconds and she starts mellowing down, and they just lay her down and give her the needle. She didn't feel it at all, and I am thankful for that. She never closed her eyes. They were wide open. I didn't think I was going to cry, but of course it all hit me at once. I was a wreck. My mom tells me she has been a wreck all week, and I didn't even know because I am barely home during the week because I am so busy. It just hit me all at once and I think now I'm starting to calm a little bit. I will never get that image out of my head. From 1992 until 2007, she was the best dog anyone could ask for.

RIP Starbright (yeah, I know, my sister picked out the name)

Your quaint british misspellings make your insults seem dry and unfunny.

1. I cannot see any spelling mistakes in my posts.

2. There is absolutely no relationship between a joke being dry and it being unfunny whatsoever.

Yesterday, during some playful roughhousing, I accidentally pulled a muscle in my dog's leg. I didn't know this is what happened right away, of course; all I knew is that he let out this awful shriek of pain and ran off with the hurt hind leg sticking straight out.

His crippled sprint didn't take him very far, so, I went over to him to check if anything had broken. Gently prodding the injured appendage, it appeared nothing had snapped, but once I reached the source of his pain, he let out yet another piercing yelp of misery and oh god oh god oh god I'm nearly crying because I just broke my dog's goddamn leg because what do I know about feeling for broken body parts anyway. My friend, much calmer than I, pointed out that my dog seemed to be fine otherwise, not whimpering and generally content-looking, aside from the leg, and that maybe we should wait a few hours before running him off to the animal e.r.

He's fine now. Not even limping.

Every once in a while I remember that I am going to out live my two little stupid cats and it makes me sad.

Whats even sadder is that when my girlfriend wonders if we will have to give them away when we have kids and I legitmately think to my self "Fuck those kids, the cats were here first".

I don't think I am ready to have kids yet.

I've been able to find some pictures of her throughout the house, most of which were taken when she was younger. I regret not taking a recent picture of her on my phone or digital camera because I would have loved to just look at it at random times. I am going to get a dog just like her, a buchan, when I get married.

I went through this a couple months ago...still shocks me just how close you can get to these animals. I wouldn't say it was like losing a family member but it hurt about as much as when one of my friends died in a car accident.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

What's a buchan? You mean a bichon frise? I used to have a bichon. Cute as can be, but he was the dumbest fucking animal we've ever had. My cat can turn the faucet on and off when she's thirsty, and this dog didn't know not to shit on the kitchen floor.

We've had extremely smart Bichons. Ours of 15 years, who died last summer, was highly trainable and pretty clever, and the new improved almost-not-a-puppy anymore Bichon seems even more on top of things. Except when he gives himself high fives in the hallway mirror.

Every once in a while I remember that I am going to out live my two little stupid cats and it makes me sad.

Whats even sadder is that when my girlfriend wonders if we will have to give them away when we have kids and I legitmately think to my self "Fuck those kids, the cats were here first".

I don't think I am ready to have kids yet.

Is this the same cat you rescued from a traffic intersection or something of that nature? Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Nah, that kitten is what prompted me to go and get some kittens. I didn't get that particular one, but got my two boys like a week later.

l_2ac3e9cfb89d349c8b8c59431f678d6f.jpg

As you can see, they aren't really tiny anymore.