TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 9/24-10/1

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Marlins scored 4 on Lilly with a series of bullshit bloops. What's WITH this fucking team. This is why I won't acknowledge the Cubs going to the postseason till they actually clinch it. Still totally possible they blow this.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I'm amused by this game of hot potato we're playing here. I'm not amused by our inability to EVER beat the fucking Florida Marlins. We've lost seven in a row to them (swept at Wrigley, swept last year, lost the last game of the first series in 2006) and possibly an eighth, not to mention the unspeakable. Come on. They're like 30 games under. This should be an easy series.

Well, I'm watching the Mets basically getting crushed by the Nationals for the second straight night.

A lot of things aren't making sense.

Phillies' Gillick doesn't plan to return after 2008

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies general manager Pat Gillick doesn't plan to remain with the team after his three-year contract expires following next season.

"This is it for me," Gillick said in Tuesday's Philadelphia Daily News. "I'll fulfill my contract. It's time to think about doing some other things in life."

The longtime baseball man will be 71 by the time his contract is up. He wasn't immediately available to reporters before the Phillies played Atlanta.

Gillick's situation could affect manager Charlie Manuel, who is in the final season of his contract. Manuel has done an outstanding job keeping an injury-depleted team in the playoff race.

The Phillies were tied with San Diego for the NL wild-card lead and trailed the East-leading Mets by two games.

Manuel insists he's not concerned about his job status, and he won't talk about a contract extension until after the season.

"It's not about me," he said. "It's about the team. I don't have to worry about anything else."

Assistant GM Ruben Amaro Jr. is widely considered the most likely candidate to replace Gillick. Amaro's contract is up after this season, and he has interviewed for other jobs.

Gillick brought a winning pedigree to Philadelphia when he replaced Ed Wade after the 2005 season. His impressive resume as a general manager includes two World Series titles with Toronto, seven division championships and nine playoff appearances with three teams -- the Blue Jays, Baltimore and Seattle. If the Phillies make it to the postseason, he'll be 4-for-4 guiding clubs to the playoffs.

Gillick has come under heavy scrutiny for a few of his personnel decisions. His biggest mistake was trading for Freddy Garcia last offseason. The two-time All-Star righty was 1-5 before needing season-ending shoulder surgery. Garcia cost the Phillies $10 million this season.

Gillick's two biggest free-agent acquisitions last offseason -- third baseman Wes Helms and catcher Rod Barajas -- didn't pan out, either. Both were relegated to bench duty down the stretch.

Some of Gillick's best moves involved utility players and relievers. Left-hander J.C. Romero, signed in June after he was released by Boston, has been the Phillies' most dependable reliever. Third baseman Greg Dobbs and outfielder Jayson Werth, both signed in the offseason, have been valuable role players.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

If we're going to spout off conspiracy theories about MLB wanting certain teams in the postseason, Andy Fletcher just tossed Aramis Ramirez out of the game. Ramirez was on his way back to the dugout and at least 10 feet away from Fletcher when the ejection came. This followed DeRosa getting jobbed on a called third strike well off the plate.

If we're going to spout off conspiracy theories about MLB wanting certain teams in the postseason, Andy Fletcher just tossed Aramis Ramirez out of the game. Ramirez was on his way back to the dugout and at least 10 feet away from Fletcher when the ejection came. This followed DeRosa getting jobbed on a called third strike well off the plate.

Saying the umps were dumb does not equal conspiracy. Sorry.

The Phillies pitching will keep them from the playoffs. Or embarass them there is they do make it. Either way, the NL is horrible and not one NL playoff team could beat any AL team in a 5 or 7 game series.

We said this last year. Wasn't true then.

And now the weak effort of the Mets bullpen tonight comes back to bite them as it was inevitably going to do. At least Reyes had a good hitting night.

Oh my God.

Mets have scored six runs in the bottom of the ninth to bring the score to 10-9. Three-run Alou double brings in the last three runs.