TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 9/24-10/1

Let's not forget Lo Duca swinging right at the first pitch and popping it up to end the game. If you have a rally going, you DON'T need to swing at the first ball. Wouldn't it be more wise to, oh I don't know, feel out the pitcher when you could be the potential winning run?

That's it for the Dodgers. I tried to hold out hope, but now that the Padres won tonight I can't any longer. What a shitty season.

Don't look now, but JD Drew has been absolutely killing the ball for over a month (oddly coinciding with the time his son had his body cast removed). The fan in me would love to see him succeed in the postseason and win some fans back.

Can anyone really argue against Prince Fielder as NL MVP?

He's in the mix. Given the BBWAA propensity for rewarding HR and RBI, he'll end up winning. On my ballot, I have David Wright, Chipper Jones, Chase Utley, Hanley Ramirez and Matt Holliday rated above him, but not by much.

There is no clear cut choice. Prince is a slugging 1B, which is valuable, but totally one-dimensional. Other than the HRs, he doesn't offer much. The other candidates have better defensive value, on-base skills or baserunning than Prince.

He's in the mix. Given the BBWAA propensity for rewarding HR and RBI, he'll end up winning. On my ballot, I have David Wright, Chipper Jones, Chase Utley, Hanley Ramirez and Matt Holliday rated above him, but not by much.

There is no clear cut choice. Prince is a slugging 1B, which is valuable, but totally one-dimensional. Other than the HRs, he doesn't offer much. The other candidates have better defensive value, on-base skills or baserunning than Prince.

What about Jimmy Rollins? Utley's injury hurt his chances. I think Rollins has eclipsed him as "Phillies player in the MVP race".

What about Jimmy Rollins? Utley's injury hurt his chances. I think Rollins has eclipsed him as "Phillies player in the MVP race".

Nothing wrong with Jimmy Rollins. Utley's got him beat by a significant margin in OBP, and has a decent lead in BA and SLG. He also has the edge in VORP despite missing 30 games and playing lower on the defensive spectrum. That sort of gives him the edge in my mind.

Fielder shouldn't get the MVP. He has the edge in raw power. David Wright though, for example, has a higher On Base Percentage, runs the bases better, and plays good defense at third base. Overall, he's much more valuable.

Tim Hudson is 96-2 with a lead of three runs or more.

I have now heard the second most useless stat all season.

Ok, so I have to ask. What is the most useless?

-More multi-running innings start with homeruns than walks

-Bonds has the lowest RBI per HR

Guest Smues

I have to hear that stat several times a season.

What's the most useless?

I have to hear that stat several times a season.

What's the most useless?

Forget the source, but overheard earlier this season.

"The Yankees have allowed four walkoff hits, all on the road.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Oh my God, the Cubs are going to lose three straight to the Marlins to end their season once again.

Ok, so I have to ask. What is the most useless?

-More multi-running innings start with homeruns than walks

That's it for me. What made it was Tim McCarver's childlike amazement while reporting it.

Guest Smues

My #1 would have to be

"And when Wang pitches from the windup, his ERA is .53! That's like a high school ERA! His ERA from the stretch, though, is almost 16.00! That difference is 'UGE! So Wang really has trouble pitching from the stretch."

Oh my God, the Mets can't seem to hold onto a lead. Not even against the Nationals. This is turning into a nightmare.

And 6-2 suddenly turns into 6-5 with nobody out.

The pitching is atrocious. Just atrocious. The last 5 games against the Nationals, the bullpen has an ERA of 7+ while the starting pitching has had an ERA of OVER 10. Horrific.

Oh my God, the Cubs are going to lose three straight to the Marlins to end their season once again.

Come on. They're only down a run. Soriano/Ramirez/Lee will go on a homerun binge.