TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

Juno

God, I hate this movie now... and it's a good movie. Damn you, public, for making me hate a good movie.

Same here. I loved the movie, but I hate how over-exposed it's become.

I also hate how every semi-indie movie that tried and failed in the theaters now has to put some kind of Juno reference on their DVD cover.

I still love this movie. Nothing has happened to change that. I don't know what fazzle is talking about though.

Talking about shit like this:

teeth_dvd_box_art.jpg

No! Your movie's about a killer vagina! It's nothing like Juno! There's no need to put a Juno reference on your box art!

There's another movie I saw last week that had a Juno reference on the box, that was nothing at all like Juno, but I don't remember what it is right now, so I can't search for it.

No! Your movie's about a killer vagina! It's nothing like Juno! There's no need to put a Juno reference on your box art!

Thank you, that line just made my night.

And dammit, I still like Juno too. I don't really care what other people are saying about it, or how exposed it's become.

See, the thing is I liked it begrudgingly in the first place. Like, "Ok, that was a faggoty script, but I guess it turned out ok." But the thing that I hate about it is what's being the most celebrated about it.

Okay, this movie is WAY too quippy. Some of the shit people say is completely over the top, which took me out of the reality that the movie otherwise tried hard to create.

Also, her favorite band is The Stooges? Name-dropping those obscure horror flicks? Please. Don't insult me. No sixteen-year-old girl that attractive and that Canadian knows shit about any of that. Don't insult.

And what really bothers me about this movie is that I think they shirk some of the heavier issues that would arise as part of Juno's plight--namely her growing isolation in high school. They hint at it, and they have that big scene where she bitches about it in front of Cera (who kicks ass in this by the way), but I never really remember seeing her alone and pregnant and hopeless and sad. She was always hanging out with really cool people like Bateman or that slutty, Woody Allen-loving cheerleader. So that bothered me too.

All in all though it's funny and it uses The Moldy Peaches throughout, which is ALWAYS a good idea, and I think Reitman did a fantastic job, there are a lot of memorable shots. It just seems a little uneven though, like the snarky script is constantly at odds with a movie that has other, more subversive ambitions.

Guest blame that goot.
No! Your movie's about a killer vagina! It's nothing like Juno!

How can I reward you for this?

Would you believe at my HS any girl that got pregnant was thrown out of school? Once she had the baby then she could come back, which I always thought was a bit hypocritical. From what I saw though there was no real stigma towards these girls in class.

The scene with Page and Cera at the track seemed to point towards her keeping the baby. The way it turns out Garner and Bateman get divorced and Garner gets the baby, while Page and Cera actually iron out their differences and get together. Not a bad ending really, but curious.

No! Your movie's about a killer vagina! It's nothing like Juno!

How can I reward you for this?

You can grant me 3 wishes from the Magical Liopleurodon?

Re: the Teeth blurb...

Wait a minute, Juno is tame. What in the hell are they talking about?

Fuck if I know. But evidently they realized their box art was fucking stupid, because they changed it before release. New one has no Juno reference.

I can't stand any box art that makes references to other movies. Especially the ones where some unimaginitive part-time movie critic from some meaningless publication like the Tallahassee Gazette or wherever promotes the movie as a hybrid of two different films.

"It's like The Killing Fields meets Showgirls!"

Yeah, it just screams "We have no fucking idea how to sell our movie, so we'll piggyback on this other successful movie instead!"

Which really disappoints me about Teeth, because it fucking looks awesome and I plan on at least renting it when it comes out. Don't really buy movies too much anymore.

there's no way that whore graner deserved that kid. that poor child is going to be told that their clothes are stupid and mocked with lines of "you're so cool". seriously, she was an uberbitch. she'd almost drive me to want to bone that little boy with a 'gina, juno, too. almost.

The hell kind of big plot twist did you want at the end of freaking Juno?

I still like this movie quite a bit. I even read Diablo Cody's stripper book, which was decent, and had some truly pleasant anecdotes about Russian guys jizzing.

What about Bateman? I don't remember how he ended up.

And you can take solace in the reality that Juno and Bleeker broke up two weeks later... just like in real life!

See, the thing is I liked it begrudgingly in the first place. Like, "Ok, that was a faggoty script, but I guess it turned out ok." But the thing that I hate about it is what's being the most celebrated about it.

Same here. That "Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon had a mutant BUTT baby together" dialogue did not deserve a frigging Oscar.

Also, her favorite band is The Stooges? Name-dropping those obscure horror flicks? Please. Don't insult me. No sixteen-year-old girl that attractive and that Canadian knows shit about any of that. Don't insult.

Yeah, come the fuck on. I was a firmly established member of the daydreaming supergeek posse at 16, and I'd barely even heard of Juno's alleged favorite director Dario Argento, let alone actually seen any of his movies. And I can guarantee that none of the girls in the nerd clique had ever heard the dude's name.

I can't stand any box art that makes references to other movies. Especially the ones where some unimaginitive part-time movie critic from some meaningless publication like the Tallahassee Gazette or wherever promotes the movie as a hybrid of two different films.

This bugs the SHIT out of me. Because 90% of the time, it guarantees a horrible movie which is trying to piggyback on the success of others; the other 10%, it's a case of a horrible advertising campaign which completely misrepresents the movie's content. My favorite example of the first kind was that piece of shit Fear Dot Com, which on the box was compared to The Ring; that's like comparing Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers. And one of the second kind: a great obscure flick called The Rapture. The movie was a fairly serious, literal adaptation of the Book of Revelation and focused on the spiritual agony of a woman who doubted God; the description on the box compared it to some forgotten religious horror flick and played up the shocking sex orgies and murders which made up about two minutes of the film.

"It's like The Killing Fields meets Showgirls!"

I was about to say that I'd pay to see that, until I remembered that I'd already attended a showing of Miss Saigon.

The hell kind of answer do you want from freaking Marvin?

For a second I thought he was going to say the cover compared "The Rapture" to "Juno." I would've driven to Best Buy and found it just to see how in the hell the cover blurb made THAT connection. But it probably compared it to "Stigmata" or something.

Nobody else has ever heard of the damn thing, but it's worth it. The budget is kinda low, and it gets a little goofy in its interpretation at times, but it takes the Book itself completely straight-faced serious. It's what permanently made me a Mimi Rogers fan, too, and not just talking about her amazing mammaries.

they shouldve watched the horror movie in HD...

I think Juno liking the Stooges and what-not is a significant part of her character, not just "oh I'm the COOLEST WRITER EVER" wankery. There's a bit of would-be hipsterism in there, but it's not really clear that she really is familiar with everything she references all the time. I think this has been brought up in the thread earlier, but come on--a girl who loves the Stooges and has never heard Sonic Youth? Half of who she is is posture, and a large part of the movie is showing how she responds to actually having something more than posture happen in her life, and how that breaks through her defense mechanisms.

I think Juno liking the Stooges and what-not is a significant part of her character, not just "oh I'm the COOLEST WRITER EVER" wankery. There's a bit of would-be hipsterism in there, but it's not really clear that she really is familiar with everything she references all the time. I think this has been brought up in the thread earlier, but come on--a girl who loves the Stooges and has never heard Sonic Youth? Half of who she is is posture, and a large part of the movie is showing how she responds to actually having something more than posture happen in her life, and how that breaks through her defense mechanisms.

Yeah, that's true. The one saving grace of all that shit was her occasionally getting her shit wrong... "THUNDERCATS ARE GO!" actually made me laugh the hardest of that whole movie, but somehow... I just don't think everyone else was laughing for the same reason I was.

Also, for eschatology in the movies, I may be the only one who watches Christian movies for laffs, but if you have the right mindset... A Thief In the Night. It is one of the most insanely funny things ever There are four of them, the other three being A Distant Thunder, Image of the Beast, and The Prodigal Planet. We are talking full on Jan Brady 70s handlebar mustache style flying scorpions apocalyptic insanity. They guillotine people unless they deny Christ... there's a preacher who looks like Bill Gaines living in an underground bunker, this military guy who makes logical leaps of faith that make Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day look like fucking Sherlock Holmes, "What kind of idiot do you take me for, I know that's a computer readout for 666!"... Christ, I'm starting to sound like Juno myself. But if any of that made sense to you, you will not regret that. It's like a live action Chick tract.

"The Rapture" is indeed awesome

It's a great flick and not just because of Mimi Roger's incredible rack and her getting it on with another chick in a 3 way scene with David Duchovny.

Just a tremendous portrait of a woman slowly going insane due to her losing all faith in God, humanity and life in general

Unfortunately the movie was promoted as a Skinamax flick with Mimi Rogers showing her goods and doing lesbian stuff.

It's *so* much more than that.

When the couple broke up, I thought for sure that instead of having to have Juno take care of the baby herself that they'd go miscarriage or something. But then she left the note and the woman was still in and Now instead of having a teenage mother raising the kid, you've got a wacked out single mother raising the kid which I think ends up being worse for the baby, especially since she ain't gonna get child support.