TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Divisional Series Thread

Apparently TBS does not use the Field Mic's for crowd noise as FOX and NESN do.

That would explain a few things. Today's Phillies game simply did not have the feel of a playoff game. It feels like I'm watching a regular Saturday baseball game.

Exactly, and it may not seem like a big deal to most...but it's really bothering me. The crowd sounds are half the experience of watching playoff baseball.

I was coming into this thread specifically to comment about how terrible this TBS broadcast is. The announcers are much louder than the sounds of the game, and they seem to have no excitement about the game. I hope TBS had to pay through the nose to get the playoffs and end up bankrupt as a result. This is horrible.

I've noticed a few mistakes by TBS tonight. At one point, Josh Beckett had given up 2 2s and, also, the Cubs and D-Backs are playing in Phoeniz.

Another thing, the sound isn't nearly this bad on the HD feed.

Guest huss

It only took the entire regular season, but it looks like they finally filled up that Arena Football stadium used for baseball here in Phoenix.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
It only took the entire regular season, but it looks like they finally filled up that Arena Football stadium used for baseball here in Phoenix.

Having the home team in town helps. It's gotta be at least 50/50, and possibly in favor of the Cubs.

Guest huss
Having the home team in town helps. It's gotta be at least 50/50, and possibly in favor of the Cubs.

All the more reason why I hope this one is over in three.

Guest Smues

OH I GET IT HE'S MAKING FUN OF GEORGE BUSH. THAT'S SO FUNNY!

And I thought I wouldn't get sick of TV ads until Fox had games. Decent games so far. Good pitching, no blowouts, me likey.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Brandon Webb is having a great night. I'd sure hate to see him ejected for touching that big grimy brown spot on the bill of his hat before almost every pitch.

Guest Smues

The reaction to the homerun makes me think the crowd is slightly more D-back than Cub, but I guess we won't really know until the Cubs score.

Interesting stuff:

-That was Beckett's third career CG shutout in the playoffs. That ties him with Whitey Ford and Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown for second on the all-time list. He is just one behind Christy Mathewson for first place.

-It was the Sox' first CG shutout in the playoffs since Luis Tiant did it in 1975.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

If I can't get the Cubs to win a fucking game, can I at least get TBS to hire some baseball analysts with some intelligence and fearlessness? Here's the expert analysis we got from Frank Thomas:

"I have a feeling the bullpens will decide this game."

They generally do after both starters leave the game, yes. Cal Ripken may have said something, but he's Baseball Ambien, so I missed it during my nap. TBS's presentation has been average to bad thus far. They haven't done anything exceptionally well, and some aspects have been downright bad. The game announcers don't bring much to the table. Joe Simpson is too anaesthetized to do anything other than good ol' down-home Atlanta Braves games, and Don Orsillo is unremarkable in this setting and always seems to be a few seconds behind on the play. Dick Stockton was obviously biased toward Arizona in this game, and is generally just not a good baseball announcer at all.

But back to the studio guys: just bad, and a far cry from the great job that TNT does with Inside The NBA. Is part of the problem that the baseball fraternity is more tightly knit than it is in the other sports? It's like they're too careful to not offend. Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith are bright as hell and unafraid to speak their minds. For whatever reason, few baseball analysts are able to transcend the same old platitudes about "playing the game the right way," "doing all the little things right," and "taking it one game at a time." You'll never have what you have with the NBA coverage, where Barkley will just flat-out rip a team for playing poorly, or even say that the network shouldn't have even picked up a given game (it involved the Nets) because they were so dull and bad. It's ironic that in the most cerebral of the major team sports, we can't get any analysis that requires one to process a unique thought.

Well the Diamondbacks are the least interesting team in the playoffs by a country mile. I'm only invested in the series versus Chicago to the point of hoping the Cubs take them out. Though Colorado/Arizona would be interesting from the standpoint of it giving Czech an aneurysm.

Well the Diamondbacks are the least interesting team in the playoffs by a country mile. I'm only invested in the series versus Chicago to the point of hoping the Cubs take them out. Though Colorado/Arizona would be interesting from the standpoint of it giving Czech an aneurysm.

See, I don't see why people don't find the Diamondbacks interesting. Sure they don't have any major names, but that doesn't make them not interesting. This is a team that dumped everything last year and with a team that is pretty much straight out of the minors, in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, they have the best record in the National League - the only NL team to win 90 games and the fifth best record in baseball behind the 4 AL playoff teams. That is amazing to me. Especially because things like Chad Tracy and Randy Johnson were supposed to be their big stars, and both were hurt a lot this season and not part of the playoff roster.

To me, I rather watch teams like the D-Backs and Rockies, a new fresh team, earn their way in as opposed to having the Cardinals back in, just because they have been in the league longer and have a couple bigger names.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
To me, I rather watch teams like the D-Backs and Rockies, a new fresh team, earn their way in as opposed to having the Cardinals back in, just because they have been in the league longer and have a couple bigger names.

The Cardinals have nothing to do with this, though. They hadn't been in a position to back in all year long, seeing as they spent the season

1) totally out of contention,

2) making a run to seize the NL Central from the Brewers and Cubs not unlike what the Rockies ended up doing,

3) totally out of contention again.

Furthermore, you're setting this up as if the West teams have rocked the pretty little world of the National League by winning 90 games unlike those dastardly Cardinals who "back in," even though the Cardinals won 205 games and a pennant over the two seasons before their championship-winning 83-win campaign, with basically the same Jocketty/La Russa/Duncan/Carpenter/Pujols/Edmonds/Rolen organizational/roster core. Way too much has been made about the 2006 Cardinals. I never want to hear about them again. No, it wasn't ridiculous that an 83-win team won the World Series, and no, it doesn't mean that now that they did it, anyone can do it.