TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
While I thank you for validating my points, how can somebody who at 24 is considered one of the best players at his position not be thought of that highly? This I don't understand.

[i don't consider Melky a true regular because on any given night, he may not be in the lineup, whereas Cano plays every single game]

I think of him highly. I just don't think he should be "untouchable" in trade negotiations.

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Cardinals and Brewers are discussing a Scott Rolen trade, but they haven't decided how much money St. Louis will pick up or what players the Cards will get in return.

It appears safe to assume that Chris Capuano would be in the deal. The Brewers shouldn't need to give up much more talent in return for Rolen, assuming that they're willing to pay the majority of the $36 million the third baseman is owed for the next three years. If Rolen is acquired, Ryan Braun would move to left field, leaving Matt LaPorta wondering about his future role with the team.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Hey Cena's Writer.

"FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal says the Twins informed the Yankees they were prepared to deal Johan Santana to the Red Sox unless Phil Hughes was part of the deal."

From Rotoworld.com.

This is what I was talking about last night. The Red Sox are the ones driving the market and forcing the Yankees to either trade Hughes or lose out on Santana entirely. That's why they can't just wait until next year and sign him on the open market.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Then let the Red Sox get him.

At the same time it could be a ploy to up the Yankees offer.

It might be a ploy. One assumes the Yankees could call the Red Sox and ask if it's true. I don't know if the Red Sox would tell the truth.

But yeah, I don't know, some people would conclude the same as you have and just say let the Red Sox have him. Apparently the Yankees' front office doesn't agree, as they seem to have offered Hughes as of last night.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I woud't mind Scott Rolen.

Something that gets Braun off of third base would probably be a good thing. He's horrifyingly terrible on defense.

I like Scott Rolen, but he just had surgery a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken. He would definitely help the Brewers defensively, though, assuming Braun moves the outfield where his glove should be less of a liability.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I like Scott Rolen, but he just had surgery a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken. He would definitely help the Brewers defensively, though, assuming Braun moves the outfield where his glove should be less of a liability.

He'll move to left field. That's the 2nd least demanding position defensively according to the Defensive Spectrum. First base is #1, but Prince Fielder can't play anywhere else so that's not an option.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I've heard it suggested that Braun could play center field, since he's a good athlete and can run. With six triples and 15 steals last year, he's not exactly a flat-footed slugger.

Why's he dogshit at third then? Terrible with ground balls, poor reaction time, bad range?

I would be very surprised if they put him in center field. Not that it can't happen, just that I'd be surprised.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Rolen for Capuano? ARE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS FUCKING RETARDED?

I've heard it suggested that Braun could play center field, since he's a good athlete and can run. With six triples and 15 steals last year, he's not exactly a flat-footed slugger.

Why's he dogshit at third then? Terrible with ground balls, poor reaction time, bad range?

I would be very surprised if they put him in center field. Not that it can't happen, just that I'd be surprised.

16 of his errors were throwing errors compared to ten fielding errors.

Here's a list of batters who played 112+ games at both third and center.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/7ePS

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

16 of his errors were throwing errors compared to ten fielding errors.

Here's a list of batters who played 112+ games at both third and center.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/7ePS

The two that come to mind today are Melvin Mora and Chone Figgins, I suppose. Bill Hall could do it too, though I don't know if he played much third base. I wasn't aware Braun was in their league in terms of athleticism and speed, though I know he's got a pretty good speed rating from Baseball Prospectus.

In any case, if he's making 16 throwing errors, would he be any good throwing runners out from center? It could be part of why they are talking about putting him in left; left fielders are not really asked to throw as many guys out it seems (see: Gonzalez, Luis).

milb.com ranked the top 50 prospects in the minors: http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/news/top50/y2008/

Top 10 Prospects

1. Jay Bruce

2. Evan Longoria

3. Cameron Maybin

4. Clayton Kershaw

5. Joba Chamberlain

6. Clay Buchholz

7. Colby Rasmus

8. Andrew McCutchen

9. Homer Bailey

10. Adam Miller

11. David Price

12. Wade Davis

13. Jacoby Ellsbury

14. Rick Porcello

15. Travis Snider

16. Franklin Morales

17. Fernando Martinez

18. Nick Adenhart

19. Brandon Wood

20. Jacob McGee

21. Matt Wieters

22. Mike Moustakas

23. Carlos Gonzalez

24. Gio Gonzalez

25. Eric Hurley

26. Ian Kennedy

27. Matt Antonelli

28. Carlos Carrasco

29. Chase Headley

30. Josh Vitters

31. Chris Marrero

32. Reid Brignac

33. Andy LaRoche

34. Joey Votto

35. Max Scherzer

36. Scott Elbert

37. Ross Detwiler

38. Elvis Andrus

39. Chris Volstad

40. Luke Hochevar

41. Ian Stewart

42. Alcides Escobar

43. Jeremy Jeffress

44. Tyler Colvin

45. Radhames Liz

46. Jeff Clement

47. Johnny Cueto

48. Carlos Triunfel

49. Austin Jackson

50. Dexter Fowler

I think Adam Miller, Andrew McCutchen and Cameron Maybin are way too high. And Luke Hochevar doesn't even deserve to be on the list.

Two years ago Brandon Wood was #2 in Baseball America (or 3... I forget)...

Hasn't sniffed the majors and keeps falling backwards. Not looking good.

This is a different list though, created by polling scouts. It is extremely tools based. Wood has not stalled, he gets promoted every season and just had a productive season in AAA. He's fine.

He still pounds the hell out the ball, but he's striking out way too much and not drawing nearly enough walks for the type of hitter that he is. He'd get eaten alive by major league pitchers. Can't really seem to find a defensive position to stick at either.

He's either going to be a superstar or completely flame out. There is no middle ground.

And because we are discussing falling stars, what the hell happened to Andy Marte? He went from being the #1 prospect in baseball to almost out of the league in about two years time.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

He still pounds the hell out the ball, but he's striking out way too much and not drawing nearly enough walks for the type of hitter that he is. He'd get eaten alive by major league pitchers. Can't really seem to find a defensive position to stick at either.

He's either going to be a superstar or completely flame out. There is no middle ground.

And because we are discussing falling stars, what the hell happened to Andy Marte? He went from being the #1 prospect in baseball to almost out of the league in about two years time.

Is the defensive position thing his fault or the organization's?

(On a somewhat related note, remember Dallas McPherson?)

Also, Andy Marte - the latest rumor is that the Giants are talking about trading for him to give him a full season starting at third base to see what he can do in this league. Supposedly the reason why he has fallen in a lot of people's eyes is because Atlanta traded him in the first place. The word at the time was that something was wrong with him, either his shoulder or his elbow, and Atlanta wanted to make him somebody else's problem. Cleveland was happy to oblige at the time.

Also, Andy Marte - the latest rumor is that the Giants are talking about trading for him to give him a full season starting at third base to see what he can do in this league. Supposedly the reason why he has fallen in a lot of people's eyes is because Atlanta traded him in the first place. The word at the time was that something was wrong with him, either his shoulder or his elbow, and Atlanta wanted to make him somebody else's problem. Cleveland was happy to oblige at the time.

You forgot about his two month pass through the Red Sox organization as well.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

You forgot about his two month pass through the Red Sox organization as well.

Yeah I did. My bad.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

From Rotoworld.com:

"Baseball insiders told the Boston Herald that talks between the Pirates and Indians regarding Jason Bay have heated up.

Kelly Shoppach apparently would be involved in the deal, but his was the only name the Herald had. Other possibilities include outfielder Trevor Crowe, third baseman Andy Marte and top pitching prospects Adam Miller and Chuck Lofrgen. Perhaps the Pirates would also be interested in Josh Barfield if they thought Freddy Sanchez would bring in a top prospect or two."

I hope Neal Huntington knows what he is doing with this. I suspect if he was able to get some of those other players listed, this would be a heck of a trade for the Indians. From what I have heard Huntington say so far just about his general strategies and the metrics he will use to evaluate players, he is amazing and maybe my favorite GM. Makes me want to become a big time Pirates fan, actually.

The Sox are willing to include Jaocby Ellsbury, but not with Lester.

The Red Sox are willing to include any of their big three (Lester, Ellsbury, Buchholz). It's the combination of any two that they are balking at.

I think Ellsbury+Lester might be accpetable, but that would most likely take Lowrie and Masterson out of the package. It's going to depend on whether or not the Twins want the high upside guys or the bigger package of players. A Yankees offer with Hughes still trumps Ellsbury, in my opinion.