TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

The Writer's Strike

I wonder what this will do to planned DVD season sets. Will they combine this season's episodes with next season's set, or sell half a season at a reduced price?

Thats a good question. I don't think anyone will pay $40+ for half a season.

This is big. This is BIG! Because WGA sources just told me that the guild has clinched an "Independent Agreement" with Tom Cruise's and Paula Wagner's re-started United Artists. This now means that small and struggling UA has a leg up on every other Hollywood studio because it will be able to hire the striking writers. This is to date the first so-called side deal cut by the WGA with a movie studio since the strike began on November 3rd as part of the guild's newly articulated "divide and conquer" strategy. The WGA's first side deal with a production company was an "interim agreement" with David Letterman's Worldwide Pants which owns both The Late Show and the Late Late Show airing on CBS. Granted, given how tiny UA is -- only six executives -- and how limited their movie development can be, this is more of a symbolic than a significant development in the ongoing WGA strike.

Link

I'm not sure the UA thing means that much for the WGA since Cruise won't be producing many movies. Plus Lions for Lambs was a flop. I don't even know anyone who saw it.

I wonder why people at DHD are thinking Dreamworks Animation would make a deal I thought animation writers weren't part of the WGA anyway.

I'm going to watch Burn Hollywood, Burn - An Alan Smithee Movie. I'm really tired of this writer's strike messing up the viewing schedule.

Yech- I feel for you man. Last night, I watched Leonard Part 6. Terrible movie with fits of unintentional hilarity. A movie where Bill Cosby rides around on an ostrich can't be entirely bad but it was close to it.

Yeah, well I watched the 1999 Royal Rumble!

I ordered that on PPV. It's the one PPV I remember my dad watching with my brother and me. It's no wonder that he hates wrestling.

And if anything this writer's strike has given me a chance to really catch up with this forum. And by catch up, I mean spend 10-12 hours a day on here :(

Too bad about Smallville, since it's the final season. But I'm worried about Battlestar Galactica. From what I remember hearing, only about 2/3 of the season was completed before the strike shut it down. And this is it's final season.

Too bad about Smallville, since it's the final season. But I'm worried about Battlestar Galactica. From what I remember hearing, only about 2/3 of the season was completed before the strike shut it down. And this is it's final season.

Since when is it the final season?

I thought there were going to be at least 8?

Since when is it the final season?

I thought there were going to be at least 8?

This is suppose to be Lex's last season Tom Welling is signed on for one more season.

I spent all of December going through the old seasons of The Wire.

I'm re-watching Lost: Season 3 now and then after that I'm going to run through Arrested Development and a rewatching of Flight of the Conchords, most likely.

I think you all should give the show Weeds a shot

I think you all should give reading a book a shot.

Who is to say that some us aren't?

The DGA deal isn't a perfect deal for writers. DGA makes you think of Spielberg, but it's largely made up of assistant directors and other folks who don't really benefit from residuals.

And residuals are what writers live on.

I'm sad I missed most of this thread. I'm an independent writer/producer (not a Guild member yet). I've been following it pretty closely and researching Union issues along the way.

Stop changing thread titles, mole.

From what I've heard, I don't think the strike is going to end too much longer. I think sooner or later the WGA is going to have to give in

you have no sense of historical preservation. does this mean that OJ hart's thread title should be changed to "OJ hart did it! :the thread:"?

Hollywood's striking writers and major studios have resolved their key differences in contract negotiations, moving them closer toward a final agreement that would end a 3-month-old walkout.

After two weeks of talks, the parties Friday bridged the gap on the central issues surrounding how much writers should be paid for work that is distributed via the Internet, said three people close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the negotiations are confidential.

A final contract could be presented to the Writers Guild of America's board by late next week, the people said.

Attorneys from studios and the guild were meeting over the weekend to discuss contract language for the proposed agreement, which would have to be ratified by the union's 10,500 members.

Representatives of the Writers Guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, declined to comment, citing a press blackout.

Writers began their strike Nov. 5 in a dispute largely over new-media pay.

Talks revived two weeks ago, after studios quickly negotiated a contract with directors.

The writers' agreement is modeled on the directors' pact, which doubles residual payments for films and TV shows sold online and secures the union's jurisdiction over shows created for the Internet.

Guild negotiators David Young, Patric M. Verrone and John Bowman are scheduled to brief the union's negotiating committee on the proposed deal Monday.

Writers and studios alike have confronted heavy pressure to find a way to end a strike that has cost thousands of workers their jobs, threatened the upcoming television season and kept in limbo the Academy Awards show Feb. 24.

A number of top writers, including several members of the Writers Guild's negotiating committee, have viewed the directors' pact as a flawed but workable model for their own agreement and had strongly conveyed that message to guild leaders.

Many writers, however, complained that the directors' contract offered meager residuals on shows that were streamed on advertising-supported websites and limited the union’s jurisdiction over shows created for the Web. Progress in the talks suggested that studios may have improved the terms for writers in those areas.

So if this thing gets resolved in the next couple of weeks will they start filming new episodes of shows like Heroes or can we pretty much write those shows off until next season?