TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread - December 2007

That overtime goal was awful though. That initial shot was what, 50 MPH tops, how did he not control the rebound. Anyways, expect Raycroft to start against the Flyers this Thursday.

The Rangers are playing the Canucks this week. I'm eagerly anticipating Sean Avery and Matt Cooke being on the ice together. It'll be fun watching them both talk smack and then immediately hide behind someone else.

I wish we still had Jarkko Ruutu, he was at least funny.

If Toskala is going to be out for any length of time, the Leafs should just call up Pogge and have him play. Not that tonight has been all Raycroft's fault, but he's not helping.

Bruins lose 5-0 to the Thrashers.

Really, I mean who saw that coming when Brandon Bochenski is playing on the top line with Savard and Axelsson? This team needs a top offensive player, BADLY. Glen Murray is hurt again (surprise!) and they never replaced Bergeron when he went down outside of giving Glen Metropolit more minutes. What the fuck.

Watching Phoenix lose gave me quite a laugh thanks to the Great One. Datsyuk pots the game winner and they pan to Gretzky on the bench, screaming "fuck me" and "son of a fucking bitch." Priceless. Anyway, Detroit is still firing on all cylinders even without Zetterberg and Holstrom. Hudler, Samuelsson and Filppula are making the most of their extra minutes.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

I hate the Red Wings, because without Yzerman, whom we can all get behind, they've become a team of Czechs and Swedes, and I hate teams like that. Ugly flopping visored cunts, the lot of them. Unfortunately, because they're built to win The New NHL, they've run away with this thing so far that I have to root for them to keep the other 13 teams from amassing points. What a sticky situation.

Speaking of Yzerman, my roommate went to his folks' yesterday and found all his old Don Cherry videos, including #5 from 92-93, featuring Don Cherry's techno remix - "Who's the best I often ponder? Right now, it's Stevie Wonder! Let's go!"

That had to be shared.

Both Nikolai Zherdev and my boy Iginla had a chance for hat tricks with empty nets last night, and both took the assist instead. Calgary's win was made possible by a ridiculous amount of penalties by the Ducks. I mean that as a criticism of the Ducks' lack of discipline, not poor officiating.

I was at the Edmonton/Anaheim game on Thursday, and I really feel bad for the Edmonton fans. The product they have on the ice is horrible. Besides how is Ethan Moreau a Captain when he just played his first game in almost a year and a half.

Meh. They've been through the lows (and the Lowes) before. It's not like the old NHL, when bad broken teams had no end in sight to their woes. They'll perk up eventually. Also, they're in one tough division.

Meh. They've been through the lows (and the Lowes) before. It's not like the old NHL, when bad broken teams had no end in sight to their woes. They'll perk up eventually. Also, they're in one tough division.

Tough division or not, this team is in shambles. They have no leadership, no offence, no defence and a back up goalie playing better than the Starter. MacTavish isn't a good coach and Lowe is running this team in the ground. They need to sack the management and get some key players without the expense of draft picks and giving away other skilled players.

And man, what does Huet do after 60 minutes if its a tie. There's fucking overtime buddy. Don't just stand there like a plastic goalie target that you use for ball hockey.

Yeah, Huet didn't exactly throw himself in front of the OT winner, did he? Maybe he was surprised by the shot and it caught him flat footed.

That's weird though, since Shanny is known to take shots when he gets a break. It isn't like Pavel Datsyuk or something where Huet might be terrified by some triple deke. He was like a deer in the headlights there.

Oh come on, Shanny has one of the most lethal shots ever. That was a perfect shot, top corner, don't get pissed at Huet for that. Get pissed at Hamrlik for the turnover.

Better snow than rain. I'm glad it didn't turn into a freezing rain affair.

Man, it's amazing to see over 70,000 people turn out for a hockey game. Also, digging out the vintage Buffalo jerseys was great. The entire look and feel is great.

I wish they could do something like this at Spartan Stadium with the Wings and another Central team like Chicago. Pull out the Wings White and Chicago Red jerseys.

In light of all the football going on today, I have to say I've been drawn in by the (foreign) intrigue of outdoor hockey

Better snow than rain. I'm glad it didn't turn into a freezing rain affair.

Man, it's amazing to see over 70,000 people turn out for a hockey game. Also, digging out the vintage Buffalo jerseys was great. The entire look and feel is great.

I wish they could do something like this at Spartan Stadium with the Wings and another Central team like Chicago. Pull out the Wings White and Chicago Red jerseys.

I'd like to see the Red Wings host the Hawks or Leafs at Michigan Stadium. That could be great. Canadiens-Bruins at Fenway Park has potential, too.

This was one fun game to watch. I loved it. Also, Buffalo needs to go back to those sweaters again.

Jonathan Kraft (President of Patriots and son of Robert) has said he wants a Bruins game at Gillette Stadium. And according to wikipedia (a reliable source, I know), there are rumors of a Rangers/Islanders game at Yankee Stadium.

And didn't Michigan/Michigan State have a hockey game at Michigan Stadium about four or five years back?

Jonathan Kraft (President of Patriots and son of Robert) has said he wants a Bruins game at Gillette Stadium. And according to wikipedia (a reliable source, I know), there are rumors of a Rangers/Islanders game at Yankee Stadium.

Will there even be a Yankee Stadium during next years hockey season?

New Yankee Stadium. I remember they wanted to do a game at the old stadium, but there were concerns about the plumbing or something not working properly in the winter.

I was at the Winter Classic with my wife. It was an awesome experience! Of course, I wish the Sabres would have won, but it was still awesome to be there.

The NHL should mandate a few of these games each year; Call it the Winter Classic Series, played on the weekend after New Years. The ground rules:

- At least one matchup must happen in Canada. I'm sure it's obvious enough to most people why.

- At least one matchup between two Original Six teams. Another pretty obvious choice: The whole vibe of an outdoor game almost begs for an Original Six matchup.

- No venue can hold a game in consecutive years. This way the thing doesn't become too common in one place, and there's at least a year between matches in the same place.