TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

PWI Elite is reporting that Shawn Michaels is Ric Flair's scheduled WrestleMania 24 opponent for what would be Flair's final match.

That sucks. Why are they going to waste a spot like that on someone who will get no rub from it?

The spot opposite Flair at this years Mania is one of the more coveted spots on the show because of the circumstances surrounding it.

So...you know...

Kliq happens

I don't want to be around this place when Shawn ends Flair's career at Mania.

I think we'll also get Finlay v Vince or Vince and Shane v Finlay and Hornswoggle at Mania.

Weird.

Right now on WWE.com, the poll is "Can Brock win his fight?" That's it. No mention of UFC, or Frank Mir, or when the fight is, or anything. Why even bother to mention it if that's all they're gonna put up there?

Well, there is a UFC logo in the poll heading...

as well as a graphic on the side of the page that says the fight, date, and time.

Wasn't there when I posted my message. But yeah, it's there now.

Weird.

Right now on WWE.com, the poll is "Can Brock win his fight?" That's it. No mention of UFC, or Frank Mir, or when the fight is, or anything. Why even bother to mention it if that's all they're gonna put up there?

as well as a graphic on the side of the page that says the fight, date, and time.

The UFC/Brock ads are all over.

brockwwe.bmp

PWI Elite is reporting that Shawn Michaels is Ric Flair's scheduled WrestleMania 24 opponent for what would be Flair's final match.

That sucks. Why are they going to waste a spot like that on someone who will get no rub from it? I'd rather see it go to someone who it will really help, like a Matt Hardy or someone like that.

Someone mentioned Umaga and Estrada...Umaga is an example of someone who absolutely have a manager/mouthpiece, as far as the type of character he plays. Estrada also has no place being a "GM" on ECW.

Agreed on Umaga and Estrada. When Umaga debuted, I actually liked the character because he had the mouthpiece manager, and Estrada played the role so well. It looked as if they were actually putting an emphasis on managers, but then someone must have realized that would have made too much sense.

Well so much for one last title shot for Flair. That sucks.

Armando Alejandro Estrada (aka Big Lalo) had to drop his middle name because fans were singing along. Kofi Kingston had a "middle name" of Nahaje on the indie circuit as well.

HBK wants Flair to go out with a helluva match - sure he gets the plum spot, but it should be Flair's best match in recent memory. Supposedly HBK said he's not opposed to losing, of course he could just be saying that because he knows the angle ends at WM.

Weird.

The UFC/Brock ads are all over.

This is how I see it:

WWEdotcom.jpg

Even if I hit the Firefox->IE button, all I see are ads for Ultimate Bet Poker.

Adblock is, well, blocking the ads. Shocking, huh?

Anyways, I've been saying for a while now that Michaels/Flair should happen at WM, and I generally can't stand Michaels. It's not like Flair has any rub to given anyways. There's nothing wrong with Shawn or even Triple H being the man to wrestle Flair. Win or lose. If we're following story lines, it makes perfect sense.

Considering Flair lost a "retirement" match to Curt Hennig on the 3rd Raw ever in Jan. 1993, I don't think it's really a big deal who beats him. See, one thing to consider is that the fans need to be able to buy into the guy who does it and if Kennedy or MVP did it fans wouldn't accept that. This isn't to say that fans wouldn't accept those guys beating Flair at all, but just not in this exact scenario (MVP beat Flair last summer and no one thought much of it). Also, this needs to be a slam bang finale to Flair's career and not some depressing scene with Flair jobbing to some cocky heel. So yes, Michaels is a good opponent for this.

So the road to Wrestlemania is in full effect. Big Show looks to return at the same pay per view he made his debut 9 years ago. Anyone think he'll factor into one of the matches at No Way Out?

So the road to Wrestlemania is in full effect. Big Show looks to return at the same pay per view he made his debut 9 years ago. Anyone think he'll factor into one of the matches at No Way Out?

The Pay Per View was at the same time of year, just a different name of the event (St. Valentine's Day Massacre). Still, I can see Big Show re-debut the next night on RAW. He would get lost in the shuffle if he comes back at No Way Out; just too much happening already on that card.

Considering Flair lost a "retirement" match to Curt Hennig on the 3rd Raw ever in Jan. 1993, I don't think it's really a big deal who beats him. See, one thing to consider is that the fans need to be able to buy into the guy who does it and if Kennedy or MVP did it fans wouldn't accept that. This isn't to say that fans wouldn't accept those guys beating Flair at all, but just not in this exact scenario (MVP beat Flair last summer and no one thought much of it). Also, this needs to be a slam bang finale to Flair's career and not some depressing scene with Flair jobbing to some cocky heel. So yes, Michaels is a good opponent for this.

Eh...I think MVP is bought as a legit threat now. Kennedy, not so much. The problem with having a heel beat Flair is that it would be such a downer. If a face like Michaels beats him, they can do the respect hug at the end of the match, then the face lets Flair thank the fans, celebrate, etc.

Eh...I think MVP is bought as a legit threat now. Kennedy, not so much. The problem with having a heel beat Flair is that it would be such a downer. If a face like Michaels beats him, they can do the respect hug at the end of the match, then the face lets Flair thank the fans, celebrate, etc.

Also, when Flair loses I can see it being by a school boy, roll up, or some kind of quick pin, rather then to an actual finisher. It allows Flair to look on in disbelief that he just lost, lets the crowd give him a standing ovation out of respect, and do a "farewell speech" without no-selling a knockout move that he took minutes earlier.

That's a good choice to end Flair's career. Flair's too old and doesn't have any "rub" left to give to anyone right now. HBK will bust his ass and deliver.

Good to see Cena raising the ratings. As much as people hate him, he's too over to ignore.

If it leads to the same HBK we saw during the summer of 05 prior to the Hogan match, I'm all for a program with Flair.

Hell yes! I was loving the smartass dick heel that Shawn played for all of 3 weeks. A lot of heels could look at Shawn's work from this period and apply it to their mannerisms and mic work. Shawn wasn't vulgar or crass in anyway, but was able to come off as a complete dick with seemingly little effort. His promo the night after Summerslam talking about how Hogan displayed blinding speed, and mat skills the likes of which he had never seen, was hilarious.

The problem with MVP is that he's already tried and failed against Flair at the Rumble, so would it mean much if he got another shot at it? Kennedy is the same deal...he's likely losing to Flair at No Way Out so it wouldn't mean very much if he got a WM rematch.

I think with this we won't see a dick HBK though. That worked better with Hogan because quite a few of Shawn's rants were true, and besides Hogan wasn't retiring. We've never gotten a sense that Shawn respected Hogan much as a performer whereas he certainly respects Flair. It might almost work better if Vince made HBK put something on the line himself, maybe make it career vs. career?

The problem with MVP is that he's already tried and failed against Flair at the Rumble, so would it mean much if he got another shot at it? Kennedy is the same deal...he's likely losing to Flair at No Way Out so it wouldn't mean very much if he got a WM rematch.

I think with this we won't see a dick HBK though. That worked better with Hogan because quite a few of Shawn's rants were true, and besides Hogan wasn't retiring. We've never gotten a sense that Shawn respected Hogan much as a performer whereas he certainly respects Flair. It might almost work better if Vince made HBK put something on the line himself, maybe make it career vs. career?

I could totally buy into that. After Flair keeps beating everyone, Vince finally snaps, looks at Michaels, and says, "If you don't beat him, by God, you're the one who is going to retire!"

McMahon forcing Michaels into the match would be a very nice touch. With Flair taking on Kennedy, I can see Michaels helping him win the match, and McMahon punishing him for doing so.

If you want to be picky, Flair actually lost a "Loser Leaves Town" match against Hennig, so it wasn't really a retirement match.

However, his cage match with Hulk Hogan at Halloween Havoc 1994 was indeed a retirement match.