TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

The 2008 Royal Rumble Thread

That's fair...and fitting since the ECW title should NOT be viewed as a World title.

Does anyone actually recognize it as such?

WWE

You can take Chavo out, he wouldn't make much of a difference in the Rumble. They'll probably just end up doing Punk-Chavo V instead. Regardless, there are still 6 spots left.

I would like the last 6 spots to go to MVP, Flair, Show, Lashley and 2 old school surprises. Punk-Chavo V should open and NO MORE UNDERCARD LOSERS IN THE RUMBLE PLEASE

Based on SD spoilers,

Noble might be out of the match. Of course, that's using old logic of beatdown injuries lasting for weeks. Now people are healed and ready to go a week after an injury angle (unless they really are injured) but that's another story.

Since they did that Rumble package on ECW, came up with some other Rumble figures.

Oldest Rumble competitor: Ric Flair, 2007 (58 years old)

Youngest Rumble competitor: Rene Dupree, 2004 (20 years, 1 month old)

Heaviest Rumble competitor: Probably Yokozuna in 1996.

Lightest Rumble competitor: Likely Rey Misterio in 2003.

Three father/son combinations have competed in the Rumble: Carlos Colon (1993) and Carlito (2006-07). Dusty Rhodes (1990) and Goldust (six Rumbles). Jerry Lawler (1993, '96, '97) and Brian Christopher (2000-01).

Has anyone competed in more Rumbles than Glen Jacobs with eleven?

Guest LuckyLopez
Two father/son combinations have competed in the Rumble: Carlos Colon (2003) and Carlito (2006-07). Dusty Rhodes (1990) and Goldust (six Rumbles).

Jerry Lawler and Grand Master Sexay?

I hate how they hype, "the winner of the Rumble gets to be in the main event of WrestleMania!"

For the last two years, that hasn't been the case.

Rey's match was followed by two others (which is ok I guess), but I don't get how someone that doesn't win the Rumble has better standing than the person who won it.

Batista and Undertaker were the 4th match in I think at WrestleMania 23.

WWE logic dictates that a World title match is a main event regardless of its actual card placement.

Plus, it's not like they knew last January that Taker/Batista would end up being the 4th-from-last match in the card at WrestleMania.

Yes, and? I know I was being a bit vague but that's exactly what I was referring too.

1996: Vader and Yoko are fighting near the ropes, HBK somehow has the power to dump both at the same time despite without any trouble at all despite attempts at eliminating Yokozuna by multiple guys failing in 1993.

2006: Big Show and Kane are fighting near the ropes, HHH somehow has the power to dump both at the same time without any trouble at all despite it taking a herculian effort by Benoit - after attempts by several people at the same time - to eliminate him just 2 years earlier.

I realize it's just "one of those things" but that Michaels spot from 1996 has always bothered me and I was amused that HHH was able to pay tribute to it a decade later.

To be fair, the HBK and HHH spots involved both big men tottering on the ropes, each one standing on one leg while trying to eliminate the other. They were both intended to be 'lucky' eliminations where HHH and HBK made the big guys lose their balance and their momentum carried them over the top. It's not as if HBK and HHH picked them up over their shoulders in the middle of the ring and tossed them out like The Hulk.

They really should have had the spot from ECW mini-Rumble occur in the match itself (Shelton goes over and holds on...while he's holding the ropes down simply by hanging there someone in the ring eliminates the one or two people who threw Shelton out and who happen to still be standing there...then as Benjamin attempts to skins the cat he takes the guy who just did the elimination over with a headscissors, and then gets back in for real).

It was totally wasted on free TV, and had it been on the PPV itself. it would have gone down as one of the most memorable Rumble moments ever.

So we're only a few days away from the Rumble and there are only 25 spots filled, we have 5 spots without a name to them, so unless WWE just starts throwing random names in there....well let the speculation begin!

So we're only a few days away from the Rumble and there are only 25 spots filled, we have 5 spots without a name to them, so unless WWE just starts throwing random names in there....well let the speculation begin!

Drew Carey!

Besides Punk, I figure Elijah Burke has a good chance of being added. After them (& possibly Chavo), it comes down to jobbers, Big Show, or guys already in the undercard. I'm hoping for Punk, Jericho, JBL, MVP, & Flair.

Sure, it'd be fun to see Big Show make his big, "surprise" return and toss a few guys out, but him dominating the Rumble is overdone. The only interesting thing that will come out of his inclusion would be a confrontation with Khali, which I assume they'll do. They'll probably eliminate each other to build for a WM match.

Don't forget about Hawkins and Ryder. It'd make perfect sense that Vickie gives them spots to prevent UT/Punk from winning as well as protecting Chavo, should he be involved in the match. The other spots would be filled by the apparent return of TBS, a comedy entrant ala Honky Tonk Man. That pretty much leaves a spot open for a JTTS act like Haas or maybe the newly debuted Kofi Kingston. If MVP also gets a spot in the Rumble, might have to consider Matt returning.

Only 24 spots are filled - you missed a number, Scroby.

Random guesses:

25. CM Punk

26. Big Show

27. Bob Backlund

28. Ric Flair, after Mike Adamle tells him he can be in the match if MVP doesn't retire him.

29. MVP

30. Matt Hardy

Or Undertaker, if not some crazy choice.

I had a weird dream I took a Sunday afternoon nap and woke up at 8:40pm, only to find out they did the Rumble match first and I missed most of it and my guests couldn't come in because no one was there to let them in, so I went looking for them and missed the whole thing. A chilling vision of things to come? I hope not.

Guest Yoouu'rree Fiiirrreed!&#

6 spots left, I'd say...

25. Curt Hawkins

26. Zach Ryder

27. CM Punk

28. Matt Hardy (surprise return!)

29. William Regal (I don't care if he lost a qualifying match to Cody Rhodes at a house show, he'll put himself in)

30. Elijah Burke

I hope the final six are CM Punk, Big Show, MVP, Matt Hardy, Hawkins and Ryder..though I don't know how they get MVP into the match without Flair too. It's not like the winner of their match will get into the Rumble, because MVP isn't going to win. Also, I could see JBL beating someone up for their spot..maybe Foley?