TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

The 2008 Royal Rumble Thread

This gives us Cena/Orton at Wrestlemania, a logical matchup. It also explains why Orton went over strong in his title match.

Yeah I know but...damn...what do they do with Hardy now? They were doin' awesome with him.

Move him to Smackdown and have him face Edge

Did anyone have a clue that Cena was coming back tonite? I've never seen so many people mark out for a guy that I just cannot stand. I will admit though, he's over as fuck.

**EDIT**

and by so many people marking out I mean the people that were at Hooters. I couldn't hear the crowd response.

I'm on the train home now. The crowd seemed a lot more tepid live then I'm reading how it came across on TV. The show to me seemed kind of lame until Hardy/Orton saved it. The Rumble match itself was hot at the end, but there were just way too many people in the ring at once for most of the match. The Cena entrance was the most insane pop I've ever heard live. I'll continue with more live thoughts when i get home.

That was great. Realizing that only 4 unannounced guys were in and #30 was on the way, I figured it had to be someone of importance... no way in hell did I think it would be Cena. Love him or hate him, he worked really hard before falling to injury and that was one huge "never saw it coming" surprise.

Lamest thing was probably Finlay just walking away with Hornswoggle - I maintain there is an unwritten rule that once you walk back through the entrance, you're eliminated (which is why Spike Dudley and Scotty 2 Hotty were never eliminated officially in the past), but then JR just says "I've been told Finlay was DQ'd for using the Shillelagh". That made no sense and didn't account for Hornswoggle. That said, I really enjoyed the show, mostly for the Rumble as usual. Perhaps too many guys in there, but some cool stuff like HHH and Foley going at it, Taker having to sell the fact you can't headbutt Snuka, Piper and Snuka's thankfully brief interaction... good stuff. I wish Hardy would have won the title, but with Cena back that's obviously not in the plans now.

I just hope Jeff Hardy 08

isnt RVD 01 or Jericho 02

AKA Hot SuperStars who they missed the boat on as far as

giving them the strap and letting them run w/ it....

I guess Hardy is winning MITB this year to try and keep him hot/over without putting the title on him any time before Summer Slam.

HHH vs Flair at WM?

They're trying to sell it "What title will Cena go after" like going after Edge over Orton would make any sense. You know what I would love - Cena not choosing to go after a title - Either challenge Flair at Wm to retire him (which would be a heelish thing to do) or Undertaker to go after his streak. Of course it would cheapen the titles in the sense that Cena chose to not fight for one.

But I think it would be great to see Flair lose in upcoming weeks and retired. Only to have Cena come out and say "A legend isn't going out like this" What do you say Flair, me and you at WM! Vince would say he can't as Flair lost and is retired. Cena would then say that winning the Rumble gives him his choice of opponent and while it is assumed the winner goes after the title he doesn't have to and it's about doing the right thing. Flair vs Cena at WM24 in Ric Flair's retirement match.

This was seriously one of the worst Rumbles ever tonight and I say this as someone who is actually going to WM and the idea of Cena vs. Orton in the main event is like some sick joke. Whoever thought of that needs to be forced into watching that match 24/7 in the deepest level of hell.

That said, I will make a prediction and say that match won't happen. They have pimped the idea nonstop lately that whoever wins the Rumble simply waltzes into WM and wins the title every year. There's no way Cena is 100%, so it would be easy enough to write him out again with Orton or whoever just attacking him. Or maybe Vince says Cena was never cleared to compete so he's stripped of the title shot.

I can't be alone in detesting about 90% of the booking on this show, with Flair/MVP at least being sane booking. Why protect Rey and have Jeff lose clean? That's stupid as shit considering Rey has zero heat right now and Jeff has been over as hell on Raw of late.

If they actually do go through with Cena/Orton at WM, I might seriously consider selling my ticket. Hell it's not even really a fresh matchup, though Raw doesn't even have a decent and fresh match so they're basically screwed either way.

I don't care what anybody says, Cena coming out of nowhere was bananas. The NYC crowd flipped a bitch.

Cena winning is great news for me because for the time being HHH is out of the title picture. HHH/Orton would be the fucking pits. Cena and Orton can end their feud from the fall the right way.

Hardy losing was disappointing, but with Cena coming back it makes some sense now. It keeps Orton strong for Mania with a clean win. A heel winning clean, what do you know?

The interesting question is the Elimination Chamber for No Way Out. Its going to be interesting how they do this. Is this match going to involve all three brands?

This was seriously one of the worst Rumbles ever tonight and I say this as someone who is actually going to WM and the idea of Cena vs. Orton in the main event is like some sick joke. Whoever thought of that needs to be forced into watching that match 24/7 in the deepest level of hell.

That said, I will make a prediction and say that match won't happen. They have pimped the idea nonstop lately that whoever wins the Rumble simply waltzes into WM and wins the title every year. There's no way Cena is 100%, so it would be easy enough to write him out again with Orton or whoever just attacking him. Or maybe Vince says Cena was never cleared to compete so he's stripped of the title shot.

I can't be alone in detesting about 90% of the booking on this show, with Flair/MVP at least being sane booking. Why protect Rey and have Jeff lose clean? That's stupid as shit considering Rey has zero heat right now and Jeff has been over as hell on Raw of late.

If they actually do go through with Cena/Orton at WM, I might seriously consider selling my ticket. Hell it's not even really a fresh matchup, though Raw doesn't even have a decent and fresh match so they're basically screwed either way.

With Cena winning the Rumble, the ending of Orton/Hardy still doesn't make sense to you?

Overall I thought the PPV was very good.

The WWE production team.. since Monday has done over 9 hours of HD television, and they have done a very good job.

Chavo is the first World Champion to compete in the Rumble match since Hulk Hogan in 1990.

Snuka and Piper made their first Rumble appearances since 1992.

Santino lasted 0:17, while Batista was in for 37:43.

HHH eliminated 7 men.

I really wanted Jeff to win, but the Rumble, really, is all about getting the heel champions strong for WrestleMania.

As soon as I heard the announcer screw up Jeff Hardy's name, I knew it would be his night.

When Jeff lost clean, I knew something was up. Why end the feud there unless something bigger was coming down the track?

Lo and behold, John Cena! WWE got us good!

New Yorkers are the worst fans. They are always trying to get themselves over.

Anybody else notice Cena's left shoulder was red the entire time? Almost like he had still been wearing a sling for his right arm. I can't believe he's 100 percent yet.

Any chance they find a way to hotshot the title to Triple H between now and WM? Seems like H-Cena is the money match right now, especially given how much they focused on H when Cena made his entrance and after the match. Triple H had a look on his face like "Who the hell do you think you are to interrupt my coronation?"

Absolutely loved how Cena got the ridiculous pop when he came out, and as soon as he did the "You can't see me" motion, it was like the crowd collectively realized "Oh yeah, we hate this guy!" and it was just like he never left.

So much for WWE telegraphing every big return from a mile away so they can pop a big TV rating. I haven't ordered a PPV since WM 22, and after ordering this one tonight, I can honestly say I'm glad I did. That closing sequence was phenomenal work.

Well, I have to say, that was one of the most satisfying pay per views the WWE has done in a long time for me. And this is coming from someone who certainly isn't much of a Cena fan, even. But him showing up was such a bonafide shock and surprise that you couldn't help but react like crazy to it. At least that initial entrance and pop. And the first few minutes of Cena in there was wild. I had a handful of people over and when Cena came out, everyone just was stunned, just something you didn't even see as a remote chance of happening. Figured Big Show was going to be thirty. But overall, that had to be the most entertaining Rumble match ever overall to me. Michaels getting popped in the nose early (from Holly? Taker then appeared to give Holly a few stiff receipts and legit trying to throw him out afterwards) and bumping all over the place was awesome, Taker had some spots of greatness here (loved the stiff table bump on Snitsky), Snuka and Piper nostalgia, Foley and HHH redux (I thought they could have done much more with Mick though, other than HHH throwing him out of nowhere), Benjamin, Santino, Hornswaggle, Carlito and others all getting their particular little spots in, etc. Guys like Kennedy and Morrison were really looking good too. I was pretty much on the edge of my seat those last ten minutes here, real strong stuff. I'm thinking Cena/HHH/Orton somehow at Mania, and Taker gets the win next month at NWO to face Edge. Michaels/Flair seems possible as well. Or Michaels/Taker....or Michaels/Kennedy/Taker......honestly, they've made it very hard to predict what they are even hinting at for most matches at Mania right now, even with Cena as apparently a lock for a title shot. They could go in completely different directions than assumed with guys like Taker, Michaels, Batista, HHH, etc.

Hardy/Orton was building well, could have gone a bit longer, and kind of was a bit of "what the fuck" that Hardy jobbed so suddenly. Will be interesting where they go from here with Hardy, as I think a rematch could still work here. I don't know if there is a chance that Cena could end up taking Hardy at Mania (say, if they do a rematch at NWO) but given they may have not wanted to blow their load tonight on Hardy winning and Cena then showing up as well, maybe Hardy will get another shot at the next ppv and go on to face Cena, or perhaps a Hardy/Cena/Orton (and HHH?) match. I thought Matt Hardy here was a given, and would have added some more drama to the match, as would have some more legit near falls.

Rey/Edge just didnt click for me much, Rey was blowing spots a bit, and Edge wasnt really doing the best in carrying the load. I don't know how much follow up is going to be with this program, but I would think these two could do much more better matches with each other than this was.

Jericho/JBL was alright stuff as far as the match went, and even better with the angle after the match. Jericho was showing some really insane color and the post-match attack on Bradshaw added an element to his character, which has been stale as hell to me since he's gotten back. Both guys seemed to be working real stiff, and other than a bad botch spot, I enjoyed all of this stuff here.

Flair/MVP was quite acceptable, nothing outstanding, nor offensive. Typical Flair match, basically.

The Maria in ring segment was pretty lame, to say the least. And I have my doubts on Mike Adamle.

On a side note, this was the first WWE show I've watched in HD, and I was blown away by how well done the production was regarding that. It really makes some of these bigger shows that much more bigger and special with the HD element added. Some camera angles are different now, showing more perspective on such spots as guys doing dives outside the ring, for example. This was wholehearedly worth the money spent on the show.

Havent enjoyed a WWE ppv like this one in years. The HHH/Cena heat (which was off the charts) makes me think we have got to be seeing that singles feud returning to the frey at some point here, very possible adding Orton into the mix as well. If there is a way, I would love to see Cena v. Batista v. HHH as well.

Good show tonight..

Great card, with a few good matches and some pleasant moments.

The whole Cena thing seemed to shock everyone - but thats good for a change.

Wasn't the best Rumble, but by far the worst.

Has anyone said anything about HBK. The blood under his nose was there for a good 2/3rds of the Rumble and when HBK left after he was eliminated he didn't waste any time to get to the back. I think it clearly happened when Bob Holly attacked him right after he got in.

Yeah, Holly stomped his face. HBK immediately put his hands on it and turned over.

And I think Taker starting giving Holly some receipts after that went down, especially after Holly was not selling a few of Michael's chops. I could have been wrong though, plus Taker pretty much threw Holly out for real, either that or Holly just didn't do a good job of close-calling hitting the floor.

Guest cheetoe
Has anyone said anything about HBK. The blood under his nose was there for a good 2/3rds of the Rumble and when HBK left after he was eliminated he didn't waste any time to get to the back. I think it clearly happened when Bob Holly attacked him right after he got in.

I agree. I was watching with a friend and we both thought it looked like HBK might have a broken nose. After Hollys kicks HBK rolled over to the side of the ring and was holding his face while talking to a ref. I wonder if he stiffed the wrong guy this time?

It also really looked like Y2J and JBL were throwin some really hard shots at each other. I was always under the impression that you are supposed to try and protect the guy you are in the ring with... At the rate stars have been hurt in recent years, it might not be such a good idea to try and do it intentionally. I mean, it's not UFC. It's teh wrasslin. :)

my friends and i watched it and i said right as holly was coming down 'he's going to end up stiffing the wrong person in this match'

Guest korndogg123

I think tonight they teased the possibility of Kennedy being the one to retire Flair at WM. Also after the end of last year's Rumble and the continuation this year, I'm practically begging for Michaels vs Undertaker. And hello people, do you remember Jeff Hardy's still the IC champion? This isn't the end for him. If anything, he could win the MITB match at WM if they have a fourth one.

Even with HD, I cant tell if HBK lost a tooth but I almost want to say thats what it was.

And it was umaga that clotheslined Bob Holly out..

I know it was Umaga, but watch Taker pretty much try to throw Holly out, shortly after he kicked Michael's in the head. He pretty much was liberal, to say the least, in protecting the near fall to the floor, and Holly moreless botched it and hit the floor, but wasn't eliminated since he wasnt supposed to go out that quickly.

Heres something else as Im watching the replay..

Guys that got hosed in the Rumble:

Shelton Benjamin - he was in for like, less than 30 seconds and got unceremoniously kicked out by HBK after pulling that really cool leap to the top rope on Miz/Morrison. I think he just got took off the gold standard..I was seriously wanting to see Benjamin/Punk at WM after seeing it last Sunday at the house show here and in the span of a week Punk loses the ECW title and Benjamin gets tossed out like he's nothing..

Kahli - hes the biggest guy in the match and he gets thrown out by one guy almost as fast as Shelton did. But I think this is more of the product of Kahli fading out to nothing more than a sideshow low midcard joke that they can occasionally use because he's huge..which isnt a bad thing but at the same time they always hype up the concept that BIG guys have an advantage in the match and it wasnt the case.

Khali going out almost immediately was the right move for sure, he was bomdarded with a chant of You Can't Wrestle within seconds of entering.

I was just thinking as well..

In retrospect I bet WWF kicks themselves repeatedly for not announcing Cena as returning at the Rumble when they get the buy rate in and its low.

It was one of the biggest surprises in a long time considering they managed to keep it from being leaked, but at the same time I bet it could have pulled in way more buys if people knew about Cena being there.

Rumble cards generally pop a big buyrate, in the last two years especially. I don't think they're too worried about it.

the Rumble, really, is all about getting the heel champions strong for WrestleMania.

Yeah, like Umaga, Kennedy, and Test winning their title matches last year. Or Mark Henry and Edge the year before.

Cena (who can't possibly have finished his recovery yet) wins the rumble? Jeff loses his match clean and gets his entire huge buildup over the last three months just pissed away? Fuck this show.