TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Guest Desensitized

I can't blame sportswriters for being miffed about having to travel to Indianapolis, though. I mean, really.

Here's their Wide Receiver list... I'd take Kennison over some guys.

Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall, Antonio Bryant, Dexter Jackson, Michael Spurlock (KR)

Joey Galloway, like each of us, is marching inexorably towards death, and his production is going to have to drop off at some point. We'd be lucky to get two more solid years out of him, and I don't think his replacement is on the roster.

We actually had Ike Hilliard returning punts last year. And as was the case when we had 47-year-old Tim Brown returning punts a few years ago, there was a fair catch called for every single time. I say cut him.

Stovall has been a non-person since we drafted him. Like Michael Clayton, he's good at all of the little things--blocking, kick return coverage, etc.--but can't seem to catch any balls.

Guest Desensitized

Houston already got their Super Bowl, in which they watched the Patriots win. I don't get the residual bitterness here. It was well understood that a new domed stadium was getting a Super Bowl.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Especially a beauty like that one. Indy has the infrastructure to handle the influx of people, too. Plus I can go down to Broadripple and get bombed during the game, or maybe even go to it if I have the time and the scratch to do so. The Colts should still be top contenders, too. If they go that far, the whole state will go apeshit.

KEYSTONE PREMIUM KEGGER!

- WR Peter Warrick and QB Ricky Santos both signed with CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

- Patriots LB Victor Hobson has been studying the team's play book since signing as a free agent a few weeks ago, specifically the role of inside linebacker, where he will play in the team's 3-4 system.

- Cleveland Browns starting QB Derek Anderson is working on improving some of his throwing mechanics. With the help of QB coach Rip Scherer, Anderson hopes to eclipse the marks he set during his Pro-Bowl caliber 2008 season. "The two major things with him are opening up his hips and throwing to his left, and not changing his arm slot when he throws underneath throws," Scherer said of the 6-foot-6 Anderson. "Release the ball at the same level, just take a little speed off of it. Every day after practice he stays with me and works on those things."

- The Atlanta Falcons announced on Friday that they have waived S D.J. Wolfe.

the "residual bitterness" is the fact that while Houston was oh-so graciously "granted" a Super Bowl, it was because McNair pretty much paid for it in putting up the largest bid for a team in NFL history... not because we built a stadium that has seen other teams steal the basic design of since.

So to see Indy get a Super Bowl because they built a stadium over a city that has already hosted and did a fine job of doing so, has me a bit miffed.

Guest Desensitized

New stadia get Super Bowls. That's how it works. Look, I don't think Indianapolis is an ideal host city either, but I don't think there's a finite quantity of Super Bowls, and now Houston will never get another ever again. They'll get some more.

Tampa Bay waived QB Bruce Gradkowski. Their QB Roster is now: Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, Chris Simms, and Jake Plummer*.

- From: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ent_type_1.html

One change in the NFL this year that will impact the way some clubs approach their preparations for the season is the 80-man roster limit.

In past years, teams had the use of up to six additional players through NFL Europa roster exemptions. But NFL Europa has folded and owners seemingly have not made it a priority to increase the roster limit.

The Ravens are working out Freddie Mitchell.

They cant be that desperate at WR..really..they cant be.

He hasnt played a regular season game since 2004.

Knock knock Ravens, a Super Bowl championship has just arrived at your door. Special delivery from FredEx!

the "residual bitterness" is the fact that while Houston was oh-so graciously "granted" a Super Bowl, it was because McNair pretty much paid for it in putting up the largest bid for a team in NFL history... not because we built a stadium that has seen other teams steal the basic design of since.

So to see Indy get a Super Bowl because they built a stadium over a city that has already hosted and did a fine job of doing so, has me a bit miffed.

Why do you care though? Did you get to go to the Super Bowl when it was here? Did you make any money off of it? Did it benefit you in any way at all, other than being able to say "Hey I live in a city that hosted the Super Bowl!"? Did you enjoy reading and/or listening to out-of-town reporters bitch about (just to name a few) our infinite number of unsightly topless club billboards, the shortage of taxi cabs, and the fact that they were forced to stay in a run-down La Quinta out in Missouri City because this city doesn't have enough "acceptable" hotel rooms?

Why is it so important that Houston get another Super Bowl???

Guest Desensitized

Why do you care though? Did you get to go to the Super Bowl when it was here? Did you make any money off of it? Did it benefit you in any way at all, other than being able to say "Hey I live in a city that hosted the Super Bowl!"? Did you enjoy reading and/or listening to out-of-town reporters bitch about (just to name a few) our infinite number of unsightly topless club billboards, the shortage of taxi cabs, and the fact that they were forced to stay in a run-down La Quinta out in Missouri City because this city doesn't have enough "acceptable" hotel rooms?

Why is it so important that Houston get another Super Bowl???

Man, that was a restaurant-quality smackdown.

I care because outside of moving to Brownsville for a few years, I've been a Houstonian my entire life and proud of my city. I could care less about whatever media outlet reporter rants on Houston for the topless ads or staying in a fucking La Quinta. (They're getting paid to cover the Super Bowl, fuck 'em)

I'm generally stoked when any sporting event comes to Houston even if I can't go for either money reasons or other obligations.

NFL Network will bust out some "new" Classic Games not previously aired on the network over the next couple of months, starting tommorrow. Per usual some of the selections are a bit odd but they grabbed a few older games this time around including a classic Cowboys/Vikings playoff game from 1975.

June 2nd: Dolphins at Jets, 11/27/94, Marino's Fake Spike

June 9th: Chargers at Bengals, 1/10/82, 1981 AFC Championship Game

June 16th: Jaguars at Ravens, 9/10/00, "Shootout in Baltimore"

June 23rd: Bills at Titans, 1/8/00, Music City Miracle

June 30th: Bengals at Packers, 9/20/92, "Favre's First Comeback"

July 7th: Jets at 49ers, 9/6/98, "Hearst's Overtime Run"

July 14th: Raiders at Seahawks, 11/30/87, "Bo vs. The Boz"

July 21st: Panthers at Rams, 1/10/04, 2003 NFC Divisional Playoff

July 28th: Packers at 49ers, 1/3/99, 1998 NFC Wild Card

August 4th: Cowboys at Vikings, 12/28/75, 1975 NFC Divisional Playoff (Staubach's Hail Mary)

TBD: Steelers at Titans, 1/11/03, 2002 AFC Divisional Playoff

TBD: Saints at Jaguars, 12/21/03, "River City Relay"

I could care less

Not a bad idea.

..but then I wouldn't be my charming homer self. So, I'll continue to care and periodically rant about Houston teams (just not to the extent of Marvin since most Houston fans get to be pretty apathetic throughout the year)

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2208940

"Justin Smith saw a lot of action during practice today at right outside linebacker with the No. 1 defense. Nolan reiterated that Smith would be moved around quite a bit in the 49ers defense. This is how the No. 1 unit lined up today."

~ I like this idea, honestly and think more coaches would benefit from taking speedy edge rushers and molding them into similar roles such as Vrabel and DeMarcus Ware. This will only help the 49ers defense and allow them flexibility in switching from a probable 4-3 to a 3-4 if they desire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3423049

"Same thing I said back at the end of the season: Matt's our starter," Whisenhunt said after Monday's practice. "Kurt's going to be there pushing him."

~ At this point, I'd be hard pressed to start Leinart over Warner but at the same time Leinart is younger and obviously has improved despite the injuries he's suffered through. What worries me about Leinart are: Hollywood lifestyle and that he's had injuries that have sidelined him for 2 straight seasons. If you take out the three games that he struggled in against GB, Oakland, and Baltimore last year, he's been very solid.

13 Games: 238/402 (59.2%) for 2,781 yards and 12 TD vs. 13 INT. Leinart went 7-8 in those 13 games.

The thing with Kurt Warner is that he is experienced but will be 37 this season. Last 2 seasons he's gone 9-10.

19 Games: 388/618 (62.8%) for 4,765 yards and 33 TD vs. 22 INT.

Question is: Can Leinart stay healthy? If so, I could see the Cardinals finishing at 7-9 or 8-8. Roughly the same record that Warner would bring them as a full time starter IMO.

Guest Vitamin X

I agree, I don't think the Cardinals are going to get that marked an improvement with Leinart over Warner at this point, but it does help Matt develop a bit and it would kind of let the Arizona coaches see what they have to work with for the next few years. However, that team isn't going to get any better until it upgrades its offensive line and defense. They've got one of the best receiving trios in the league and a great running back who has been really underachieving ever since he got to Arizona, there's really no excuse for them to be so far behind the fucking Seahawks in the NFC West.

Ok so I was just watching sportscenter and this was LEGIT a "breaking news" item on the espn ticker....

"Adam "PacMan" Jones returns first pass of practice 50 yds for TD"

LO F'N L......way to bring the relevence ESPN.....

June 23rd: Bills at Titans, 1/8/00, Music City Miracle

You mean the Music City Forward Lateral.

Yes, I'm still REALLY bitter.

As a long tortured Buffalo sports fan I can honestly say that one doesn't bother my very much at all.

I think it was a forward lateral too...

But if it was that like...foot...back that it needed to be...it's not like anyone was there to tackle him. It never should have been allowed to be returned no matter how it was passed.

I'm still annoyed that they benched Flutie after starting all year, and I'm not even a Bills fan.

Me to, only because I watched Doug Flutie play for the Calgary Stampeders as a youth... And I got a chance to met him. Nice guy.